Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

The Amazing Spiderman

tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:22:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's time once again for a TV movie review...
As usual, I'll keep spoilers to a minimal so you're safe to read this if you haven't seen the movie. HOWEVER, there is a lot of standard Spiderman canon stuff which I'll go into, so if you don't know anything about Spiderman and want to remain that way, don't read.

THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN

First of all, I found it really hard to fault this movie. It's well written, well acted and the cinematography is great and the special effects are top notch.
So straight off the bat, it's good.
But is it great? I don't know that it is.
The problem is, Sam Raimi's Spiderman was also all of these things and it came first, so as good as this movie was, to be great it had to be better in measurable ways.
And unfortunately, it isn't.
Don't get me wrong, I like this Spiderman better than the original. He talks more trash, he isn't a complete social retard and he has web slingers he actually built. He just translates better from comic to screen. I also love the casting; Emma Stone, Denis Leary, Rhys Ifran, Martin Sheen. Everyone is perfect for their respective roles. It's funny, sad, sweet and exciting...

The problem this movie has is that it's far, far too neat to the point of annoying me. Peter Parker's dad worked with Dr. Conners, who has a lab housing the 'radioactive' spiders which not only bite Peter (turning him in to Spiderman) while he's there trying to find out about his dad, but are also the source of the special webbing he uses to build his slingers. Gwen Stacey also works at the lab as Dr. Conner's assistant as well as being the daughter of the police officer leading the hunt for Spiderman.
Argh! I blame the perception these studio's have of American audiences. Like they see this need to dumb sh!t right now. Look at the subtle differences between "Lets the Right One In" and "Let Me In" for a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

The other problem is that I see the first hour of introductory story unnecessary. Couldn't we have started the film with him already being Spiderman and had his origin explained with a flash-back montage during the credits? I've seen that done well a bunch of times! He was a geeky kid who got bit by a radioactive spider and gained a bunch of spider-related powers?
INTRO: Spiderman kicks some bad guys butts. (5 minutes)
MONTAGE: (3 minutes)
Image 1: Geeky Peter Parker, getting picked on a school.
Image 2: Brilliant Peter Parker doing genius stuff.
Image 3: Peter Parker taking pictures at a labratory.
Image 4: A glowy spider lowering itself onto Peter Parkers neck.
Image 5: Ouch! Bitten by the radioactive spider.
Image 6: Peter Parker suddenly has awesome reflexes and strength
Image 7: Peter Parker lets a criminal get away.
Image 8: Uncle Ben is shot and killed by said criminal.
Image 9: Peter Parker is sad, but resolute.
Image 10: Peter Parker starts fighting crime, badly disguised.
Image 11: Peter Parker gets his full outfit.
Image 12: Peter Parker is in high-school, show the Spiderman costume under his clothes.
START MOVIE:
Argh, you can do a series reboot without an hour of convoluted introductory stuff which will confuse non-geeks like my fiance and annoy geeks like me.

Anyway, this is a good Superhero movie but not a great one.
7/10
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:26:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So....do you think there will be a sequel?

Should there be?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:30:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I feel the origin story needed to be in there. Not because superhero movies without origin stories don't work, they can and have been done well. But the fact is that the origin story was important to develop his relationship with Gwen Stacy, which is a big part of the movie.

I just got back from seeing it. I thought it was better than the original, but was not as good as Spiderman 2. I give it an 8/10.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:32:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/10/2012 8:30:01 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I feel the origin story needed to be in there. Not because superhero movies without origin stories don't work, they can and have been done well. But the fact is that the origin story was important to develop his relationship with Gwen Stacy, which is a big part of the movie.

I explained how I would have developed it. Add a shot of Peter Parker looking lustfully, but shyly at Gwen Stacey; you could still have that beautiful little scene in the hallway where he's trying to ask her out...
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:32:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
That actor seems annoying as hell.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:33:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/10/2012 8:26:13 PM, OberHerr wrote:
So....do you think there will be a sequel?

Yes, there will be. The movie mentioned Norman Osbourne a number of times; Dr. Conners and Gwen Stacey both work for Oscorp.

Should there be?

Yes, otherwise the introduction stuff is a waste. I think it did very well at the box office, so there almost certainly will be a sequel.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:34:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/10/2012 8:29:53 PM, Xerge wrote:
Hmm..was a reboot necessary?

Yes, but the introduction stuff was not.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:35:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/10/2012 8:32:33 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
That actor seems annoying as hell.

He's a bit too talk and good looking for Peter Parker me thinks, but he plays the part perfectly.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:36:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/10/2012 8:29:53 PM, Xerge wrote:
Hmm..was a reboot necessary?

After Spiderman 3? Absolutely.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:37:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/10/2012 8:32:19 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 7/10/2012 8:30:01 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I feel the origin story needed to be in there. Not because superhero movies without origin stories don't work, they can and have been done well. But the fact is that the origin story was important to develop his relationship with Gwen Stacy, which is a big part of the movie.

I explained how I would have developed it. Add a shot of Peter Parker looking lustfully, but shyly at Gwen Stacey; you could still have that beautiful little scene in the hallway where he's trying to ask her out...

Not sure if it would have the same effect, because you lose some of the time to develop her character. Unlike Kristen Dunst as Mary Jane, she should have a personality and be more than a woman for Spiderman to plow.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:51:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/10/2012 8:30:01 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I feel the origin story needed to be in there. Not because superhero movies without origin stories don't work, they can and have been done well. But the fact is that the origin story was important to develop his relationship with Gwen Stacy, which is a big part of the movie.

I just got back from seeing it. I thought it was better than the original, but was not as good as Spiderman 2. I give it an 8/10.

His origin story wasn't important to develop his relationship with Gwen.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:57:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/10/2012 8:51:27 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 7/10/2012 8:30:01 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I feel the origin story needed to be in there. Not because superhero movies without origin stories don't work, they can and have been done well. But the fact is that the origin story was important to develop his relationship with Gwen Stacy, which is a big part of the movie.

I just got back from seeing it. I thought it was better than the original, but was not as good as Spiderman 2. I give it an 8/10.

His origin story wasn't important to develop his relationship with Gwen.

Okay they didn't have to show the whole getting bit part, but I think they had to show him in the high school.

That's just my opinion I guess.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 9:23:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/10/2012 8:32:19 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 7/10/2012 8:30:01 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I feel the origin story needed to be in there. Not because superhero movies without origin stories don't work, they can and have been done well. But the fact is that the origin story was important to develop his relationship with Gwen Stacy, which is a big part of the movie.

I explained how I would have developed it. Add a shot of Peter Parker looking lustfully, but shyly at Gwen Stacey; you could still have that beautiful little scene in the hallway where he's trying to ask her out...

I absolutely agree with johnnyboy on this one. There are some superheroes where an origin storyline isn't necessary at all (every X-Man other than Wolverine) or can be summed up in a quick, silent montage (Superman), but Spider-Man is not one of those superheroes. His entire appeal is his relatability, which is lost completely if the first shot we have of him is him in the mask. Try to sum up his progression in a few clips and you wash away his entire relationship with the audience.

Also, and this is important, the Uncle Ben thread was probably the most powerful aspect of the film. The original trilogy was pathetic in its treatment of the character and it was refreshing to see him so wonderfully developed.

I agree with everything else you said, though =)
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 9:39:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/10/2012 9:23:32 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 7/10/2012 8:32:19 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 7/10/2012 8:30:01 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I feel the origin story needed to be in there. Not because superhero movies without origin stories don't work, they can and have been done well. But the fact is that the origin story was important to develop his relationship with Gwen Stacy, which is a big part of the movie.

I explained how I would have developed it. Add a shot of Peter Parker looking lustfully, but shyly at Gwen Stacey; you could still have that beautiful little scene in the hallway where he's trying to ask her out...

I absolutely agree with johnnyboy on this one. There are some superheroes where an origin storyline isn't necessary at all (every X-Man other than Wolverine) or can be summed up in a quick, silent montage (Superman), but Spider-Man is not one of those superheroes. His entire appeal is his relatability, which is lost completely if the first shot we have of him is him in the mask. Try to sum up his progression in a few clips and you wash away his entire relationship with the audience.

Also, and this is important, the Uncle Ben thread was probably the most powerful aspect of the film. The original trilogy was pathetic in its treatment of the character and it was refreshing to see him so wonderfully developed.

I agree with everything else you said, though =)

Gah, I see your point. I liked the character development a lot. I suppose my problem with the introduction stems from my problem with stupid links every character has with every other character. Develop Peter Parker, develop Uncle Ben, develop Gwen Stacey, develop Dr. Conners but they don't all need to be fvcking second cousins (that's an analogy, probably a bad one).
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 11:22:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/10/2012 9:39:55 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 7/10/2012 9:23:32 PM, Maikuru wrote:

I absolutely agree with johnnyboy on this one. There are some superheroes where an origin storyline isn't necessary at all (every X-Man other than Wolverine) or can be summed up in a quick, silent montage (Superman), but Spider-Man is not one of those superheroes. His entire appeal is his relatability, which is lost completely if the first shot we have of him is him in the mask. Try to sum up his progression in a few clips and you wash away his entire relationship with the audience.

Also, and this is important, the Uncle Ben thread was probably the most powerful aspect of the film. The original trilogy was pathetic in its treatment of the character and it was refreshing to see him so wonderfully developed.

I agree with everything else you said, though =)

Gah, I see your point. I liked the character development a lot. I suppose my problem with the introduction stems from my problem with stupid links every character has with every other character. Develop Peter Parker, develop Uncle Ben, develop Gwen Stacey, develop Dr. Conners but they don't all need to be fvcking second cousins (that's an analogy, probably a bad one).

A lot of that was actually true to the comics; Gwen's dad was a police officer who knew Peter's secret identity. You're right, though; none of the main characters were ever more than 2 feet away from each other lol.

When it comes to origin stories, the writers should ask themselves, "Who is more interesting, the hero or the alter-ego?" For some heroes, like Peter Parker, Tony Stark, and whatever name Wolverine is going by now, the alter ego really is the interesting one. When they are in costume, they are still the alter-ego, just now doing heroic stuff. Compare that to Clark Kent or Scott Summers, who really have no personality outside of the hero. If I had to watch an hour of character development for Cyclops, I'd shoot myself.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 11:57:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
*SPOILER WARNING*

At 7/10/2012 11:22:03 PM, Maikuru wrote:
A lot of that was actually true to the comics; Gwen's dad was a police officer who knew Peter's secret identity. You're right, though; none of the main characters were ever more than 2 feet away from each other lol.

I know that; Peter's parents were spies too (I think).
It's irrelevant though because in this movie, Gwen Stacey's dad was completely superfluous. What was the point of the character? The dinner scene was good, but ultimately Mr. Stacey (can't remember first name) goes against what he says (despite how militant he was being about it) and proves Peter to be right anyway. The whole promise thing was good, but then it's ruined when Peter whispers something about "Promises you know you can't keep being the best ones" or something. Him finding out Peters secret only to die... I just.. ARGH! It's all so pointless when it's all put together. Like I said, it was all way too neat for one two hour movie.

When it comes to origin stories, the writers should ask themselves, "Who is more interesting, the hero or the alter-ego?" For some heroes, like Peter Parker, Tony Stark, and whatever name Wolverine is going by now, the alter ego really is the interesting one. When they are in costume, they are still the alter-ego, just now doing heroic stuff. Compare that to Clark Kent or Scott Summers, who really have no personality outside of the hero. If I had to watch an hour of character development for Cyclops, I'd shoot myself.

It could start with a young Scott Summers peeping through the window of his sexy neighbours bathroom when suddenly BLAMO! He blasts the poor naked girl through a wall and showers her parents with gore while they sit eating breakfast.

Seriously though, the movie I think about it, the less happy I am with how aspects of Spideys introduction were handled.
I'd remove the thing about his father being involved with Dr. Conners.
I'd remove Gwen Stacey working for Dr. Conners.

I feel like to distance themselves from the Raimi Spiderman, the writers felt they had to tell a really different story and it annoyed me.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 12:22:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/10/2012 11:57:40 PM, tvellalott wrote:
*SPOILER WARNING*

I know that; Peter's parents were spies too (I think).
It's irrelevant though because in this movie, Gwen Stacey's dad was completely superfluous. What was the point of the character? The dinner scene was good, but ultimately Mr. Stacey (can't remember first name) goes against what he says (despite how militant he was being about it) and proves Peter to be right anyway. The whole promise thing was good, but then it's ruined when Peter whispers something about "Promises you know you can't keep being the best ones" or something. Him finding out Peters secret only to die... I just.. ARGH! It's all so pointless when it's all put together. Like I said, it was all way too neat for one two hour movie.

As soon as he found out Peter's identity, I was thinking "Oh crap...he's screwed lol." You're totally right about his character arc being ultimately pointless. Gwen should have never figured out her dad's promise and Peter should have never shown his hand at the end and let us know they are totally going to keep boning. Does being a superhero come with sacrifices or not? The film contradicts its entire message with that last scene.

When it comes to origin stories, the writers should ask themselves, "Who is more interesting, the hero or the alter-ego?" For some heroes, like Peter Parker, Tony Stark, and whatever name Wolverine is going by now, the alter ego really is the interesting one. When they are in costume, they are still the alter-ego, just now doing heroic stuff. Compare that to Clark Kent or Scott Summers, who really have no personality outside of the hero. If I had to watch an hour of character development for Cyclops, I'd shoot myself.

It could start with a young Scott Summers peeping through the window of his sexy neighbours bathroom when suddenly BLAMO! He blasts the poor naked girl through a wall and showers her parents with gore while they sit eating breakfast.

I know you're joking but that actually sounds awesome lol. I would watch that.

Seriously though, the movie I think about it, the less happy I am with how aspects of Spideys introduction were handled.
I'd remove the thing about his father being involved with Dr. Conners.
I'd remove Gwen Stacey working for Dr. Conners.

I'd remove Gwen working there, too. It was just...I don't even know what that was for. Maybe so we could see her in a lab coat, skirt, and knee highs. Actually, I don't mind it anymore.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 12:57:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/10/2012 9:23:32 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 7/10/2012 8:32:19 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 7/10/2012 8:30:01 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I feel the origin story needed to be in there. Not because superhero movies without origin stories don't work, they can and have been done well. But the fact is that the origin story was important to develop his relationship with Gwen Stacy, which is a big part of the movie.

I explained how I would have developed it. Add a shot of Peter Parker looking lustfully, but shyly at Gwen Stacey; you could still have that beautiful little scene in the hallway where he's trying to ask her out...

I absolutely agree with johnnyboy on this one. There are some superheroes where an origin storyline isn't necessary at all (every X-Man other than Wolverine) or can be summed up in a quick, silent montage (Superman), but Spider-Man is not one of those superheroes. His entire appeal is his relatability, which is lost completely if the first shot we have of him is him in the mask. Try to sum up his progression in a few clips and you wash away his entire relationship with the audience.

Also, and this is important, the Uncle Ben thread was probably the most powerful aspect of the film. The original trilogy was pathetic in its treatment of the character and it was refreshing to see him so wonderfully developed.

I agree with everything else you said, though =)

In normal circumstances I'd agree with you. Spider-Man's origin is important, but a movie with his origins came out not to long ago. His origin is pretty fresh in the moviegoer's mind.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 8:55:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I hated the actor. He was almost as bad as the "cool" Peter Parker in SM3.

Gwen was hot.

8/10
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 10:25:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/11/2012 8:55:25 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
I hated the actor. He was almost as bad as the "cool" Peter Parker in SM3.

Gwen was hot.

8/10

I guess you hate how Peter Parker was originally intended to be then. :P

Personally, I'd say 9/10.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 10:49:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I just thought this movie in general was pretty unnecessary since thee was already a Spiderman series(which was pretty good except for the third installment). At least this one was good though so I'm not complaining too much.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 11:51:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I guess you hate how Peter Parker was originally intended to be then. :P

I've never picked up a single comic book in my life :P
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush