Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Anime Recommendations Please?

Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 6:42:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So...

My anime tastes are pretty broad. I've watched the typical shounen stuff like Naruto, Bleach, and am currently chasing Fairy Tail. I've watched darker psychological ones like Code Geass, Akagi, etc. I'm a big fan of the slice of life ones like Haruhi Suzumaya, Azumanga Daiyo, Lucky Star, and Honey & Clover.

My biggest issue with all of these is that none cover a legitimate romance. I want to watch an anime with a focus on a the progression of a relationship. The dating process, ups, downs, drama, etc. Most of the time, an anime will have two characters chasing each other and end with them finally getting together, or just tease people with it along the way and never resolve.

Any recs?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:59:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Not really sure this is my area. Are you talking anime books, or TV shows?

The only anime show I have ever been real into is Dragonball Z.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:25:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I know it's American animation simulating Japanese animation but the two Avatar series are both really good (thats "The Last Airbender" and "The Legend of Korra").
I can't recommend them highly enough.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:27:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/11/2012 11:25:57 PM, tvellalott wrote:
I know it's American animation simulating Japanese animation but the two Avatar series are both really good (thats "The Last Airbender" and "The Legend of Korra").
I can't recommend them highly enough.

I love those shows!
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:30:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/11/2012 6:42:57 PM, Kleptin wrote:
So...

My anime tastes are pretty broad. I've watched the typical shounen stuff like Naruto, Bleach, and am currently chasing Fairy Tail. I've watched darker psychological ones like Code Geass, Akagi, etc. I'm a big fan of the slice of life ones like Haruhi Suzumaya, Azumanga Daiyo, Lucky Star, and Honey & Clover.

My biggest issue with all of these is that none cover a legitimate romance. I want to watch an anime with a focus on a the progression of a relationship. The dating process, ups, downs, drama, etc. Most of the time, an anime will have two characters chasing each other and end with them finally getting together, or just tease people with it along the way and never resolve.

Any recs?

Having now read your OP, I don't know of any anime which specifically deal with relationships... I mostly like swords, robots and fireballs.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:59:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've watched a few of what you're looking for. Are you looking for something more realistic or are you fine with the conventional anime style (somewhat cheesy)? Also, would you be able to enjoy the show if the 2 main characters fell in love but then discovered they were related?
Cobo
Posts: 556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 12:11:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well One piece for starters, then any Gundam series, Samurai X, and lastly re-watch Cowboy Beboy

And with the romance thing, I don't think I know of any anime/ manga that covers it.
Maybe Sket Dance...
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 12:12:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hentai
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 12:32:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/11/2012 6:42:57 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I'm a big fan of the slice of life ones like Haruhi Suzumaya, Azumanga Daiyo, Lucky Star, and Honey & Clover.

Ok, so you should go with Kaichou wa Maid-sama.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:50:43 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/11/2012 6:42:57 PM, Kleptin wrote:
So...

My anime tastes are pretty broad. I've watched the typical shounen stuff like Naruto, Bleach, and am currently chasing Fairy Tail. I've watched darker psychological ones like Code Geass, Akagi, etc. I'm a big fan of the slice of life ones like Haruhi Suzumaya, Azumanga Daiyo, Lucky Star, and Honey & Clover.

My biggest issue with all of these is that none cover a legitimate romance. I want to watch an anime with a focus on a the progression of a relationship. The dating process, ups, downs, drama, etc. Most of the time, an anime will have two characters chasing each other and end with them finally getting together, or just tease people with it along the way and never resolve.

Any recs?

I constantly hear Toradora get called the greatest romance of all time in a non-joking manner; but I haven't actually seen it so it might be like the shows where the characters only get together in the end.

Gundam 8th MS Team constantly gets compared to Romeo and Juliet thematically and its one of the shortest and best Gundam shows.

Spice and Wolf might be up your alley even if it's not exactly a romance.

Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars are compared to Spice and Wolf, so if you like that you might like those.

Ah My Goddess is probably exactly what you're looking for because throughout the series the main character and the main goddess are dating, unless the anime is fundamentally different than the manga, again I haven't seen it.

Again not exactly a romance, but you might be interested in Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Saikano is another I've heard about that might fit your taste. It's about schoolmates living through a war. It's supposedly really sad.

Wakfu is a French cartoon that's not a romance, but has one develop between two of the main characters in season 2. It's also a really great action/adventure show.

That's everything I can think of after remembering things and looking through my anime collection.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:59:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I also googled "anime focused on relationships" (which I hope you did), and found this:

http://forums.animesuki.com...
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 6:03:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/11/2012 11:59:47 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
I've watched a few of what you're looking for. Are you looking for something more realistic or are you fine with the conventional anime style (somewhat cheesy)? Also, would you be able to enjoy the show if the 2 main characters fell in love but then discovered they were related?

lol, the thing is I think I know which one you're talking about but that actually happens to be a pretty massive plot twist so I'm not sure ruining it is a good idea.
SarcasticIndeed
Posts: 2,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 6:04:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 12:12:16 AM, socialpinko wrote:
Hentai

Rofl, that, if you want to see relationships.

Other than that, watch Death Note. In ways, it is simmilar to Code Geass, you'll like it.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 6:05:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 6:03:32 AM, Kinesis wrote
lol, the thing is I think I know which one you're talking about but that actually happens to be a pretty massive plot twist so I'm not sure ruining it is a good idea.

The one I'm thinking of is pretty much the Japanese version of Twilight.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 6:10:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 6:04:46 AM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
At 7/12/2012 12:12:16 AM, socialpinko wrote:
Hentai

Rofl, that, if you want to see relationships.


Other than that, watch Death Note. In ways, it is simmilar to Code Geass, you'll like it.

I'm sure he's already seen that, since it's so mainstream. I think I even remember him criticising it because Light is such a two dimensional character. Not once in the series do we see even a hint of anything other than his psychopathic charismatic exterior.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 6:12:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/11/2012 6:42:57 PM, Kleptin wrote:
My biggest issue with all of these is that none cover a legitimate romance. I want to watch an anime with a focus on a the progression of a relationship. The dating process, ups, downs, drama, etc. Most of the time, an anime will have two characters chasing each other and end with them finally getting together, or just tease people with it along the way and never resolve.

Any recs?

Stop being a girl
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 6:19:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 6:12:01 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Stop being a girl

Yeah, be a man and watch Fist of the North Star. It's basically 200 episodes of one muscular guy beating the sh*t out of several thousand other muscular guys so he can save his girlfriend from some blond haired puff. Way more suitable romantic story for a real man.
SarcasticIndeed
Posts: 2,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 6:25:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 6:10:18 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 7/12/2012 6:04:46 AM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
At 7/12/2012 12:12:16 AM, socialpinko wrote:
Hentai

Rofl, that, if you want to see relationships.


Other than that, watch Death Note. In ways, it is simmilar to Code Geass, you'll like it.

I'm sure he's already seen that, since it's so mainstream. I think I even remember him criticising it because Light is such a two dimensional character. Not once in the series do we see even a hint of anything other than his psychopathic charismatic exterior.

Yeah, Light was a mindless monster. But really, that doesn't make the show bad.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 6:31:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 6:19:21 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 7/12/2012 6:12:01 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Stop being a girl

Yeah, be a man and watch Fist of the North Star. It's basically 200 episodes of one muscular guy beating the sh*t out of several thousand other muscular guys so he can save his girlfriend from some blond haired puff. Way more suitable romantic story for a real man.

I like stuff that engages you in a child-like perspective.. Adventure.. Action.. etc..
Almost brings you back to being a kid
A Boy's perspective... Engaging, fun stuff.

Don't watch much anime.. But I liked the original Dragonball and I liked Avatar.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 6:33:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Yeah, Light was a mindless monster. But really, that doesn't make the show bad.

No, no, I really enjoyed it. It was the style and the premise of the show that made it so addictive.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 10:45:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 6:03:32 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 7/11/2012 11:59:47 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
I've watched a few of what you're looking for. Are you looking for something more realistic or are you fine with the conventional anime style (somewhat cheesy)? Also, would you be able to enjoy the show if the 2 main characters fell in love but then discovered they were related?

lol, the thing is I think I know which one you're talking about but that actually happens to be a pretty massive plot twist so I'm not sure ruining it is a good idea.

Its not really a spoiler, its introduced in the first episode.
CiRrK
Posts: 670
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 10:55:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 6:25:47 AM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
At 7/12/2012 6:10:18 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 7/12/2012 6:04:46 AM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
At 7/12/2012 12:12:16 AM, socialpinko wrote:
Hentai

Rofl, that, if you want to see relationships.


Other than that, watch Death Note. In ways, it is simmilar to Code Geass, you'll like it.

I'm sure he's already seen that, since it's so mainstream. I think I even remember him criticising it because Light is such a two dimensional character. Not once in the series do we see even a hint of anything other than his psychopathic charismatic exterior.

Yeah, Light was a mindless monster. But really, that doesn't make the show bad.

Light was a benevolent genius, in his own way.
kyro90
Posts: 4,400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 11:42:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Princess Princess, Ouran High School Host Club. Those are my favorites. I have millions more ive read and watched. I just took a huge liking to these.
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 12:22:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Romantic anime: Please Teacher, Mahoromatic, Midori Days, Chobits, Aori Yoshi, Kashimashi

In Midori Days, a girl secretly longs for a loser-type boy, and magically wakes up one day becoming his hand, like a living hand puppet. Weird, but the social dynamics are played out well.

Kashimashi involves a shy boy accidentally smashed by an alien space ship and reconstructed by the aliens as a girl. Happens all the time.

Not so romantic, with interesting female characters: The Third, Witch Hunter Robin, Solty Rei
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 12:26:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Oh, for slice-of-life Kamichu! is a play on the teen-goddess theme, I think much better than Haruhi. The first few episodes are not as good as the later ones. Beautifully animated.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 2:54:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 4:50:43 AM, Korashk wrote:
I constantly hear Toradora get called the greatest romance of all time in a non-joking manner; but I haven't actually seen it so it might be like the shows where the characters only get together in the end.

Just watched the first two episodes of this, and it's fantastic so far. Exactly what Kleptin is looking for.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 2:54:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 10:45:20 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Its not really a spoiler, its introduced in the first episode.

Different one we're thinking of then.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 5:15:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 6:19:21 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 7/12/2012 6:12:01 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Stop being a girl

Yeah, be a man and watch Fist of the North Star. It's basically 200 episodes of one muscular guy beating the sh*t out of several thousand other muscular guys so he can save his girlfriend from some blond haired puff. Way more suitable romantic story for a real man.

Don't you mock Fist of the North Star. It's easily the best shounen anime ever made.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown