Tropico 4

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 5:47:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Has anyone here played Tropico 4?

It's available on PC, Playstation, and Xbox 360.

The basic concept of the game is that you control a Pacific Island from the 50's until the 2000's and beyond. All the political aspects of that time period are included, and you get to act as the dictator of the Island. As many DDO members can imagine, that concept has a lot of appeal to me.

But more than just summarily killing and antagonizing your citizens, you have to juggle their needs like healthcare, housing, food, employment, and entertainment so that you don't have a full blown revolt on your hands. You also have to be sure to take care of the various factions in the Island, like the communists, capitalists, militants, nationalists etc, and cater to their specific wants. Naturally, some choices are going to make some groups happy and alienate others. The key is to balance it to try and make as many people happy as you can.

Also, you have to make sure you don't upset the US or USSR too much lest they invade your island. There is a cold war theme running throughout the game, and it's done very well. If you keep either the US or the USSR reasonably happy they will keep giving you varying amounts of foreign aid which is huge when you are in the early stages of the game.

You can be benevolent or ruthless, have a small agrarian society, a wealthy industrialized powerhouse, or try to become the tourism capital of the world. Corner the fine cigar market, or make your riches selling cheap canned pineapples. The economic system of the game is really fun to experiment with.

As someone who loves the Sim City games, but always found them lacking on the political front, Tropico is really the ideal balance between the two, and is easily one of my favorite simulation games of all time.

So has anyone else played it, any thoughts?
Debate.org Moderator
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 5:56:38 PM
Is there a fighting aspect?

Like, can you fight off the US/USSR, and will either help you in a conflict?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 6:04:25 PM
At 7/12/2012 5:56:38 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Is there a fighting aspect?

Like, can you fight off the US/USSR, and will either help you in a conflict?

Kinda.. There is a pseudo-RTS element where you build military bases and guard towers just in case of a revolt or revolution so you can fight against your citizens.. There really isn't a way to fend off the US or USSR though if they intend to invade. You can build a US or USSR military base and that will protect you from the other, but it will make some of your citizens upset. The only way you can just ignore them entirely is if you build a nuclear program before they get too angry with you. But once American or Russian destroyers are circling around your island it's pretty much over, and a game over is imminent.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 6:07:41 PM
But the game doesn't have any conventional fighting element as I imagine you are thinking of.. The closest thing is your dictator character avatar which you can control and move to where things are happening, like to shoot at revolutionaries or protesters, though that's what the military and secret police are used for.
Debate.org Moderator
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 6:30:20 PM
I played the original Tropico! It was soooooo much fun.

I haven't played the newer ones, didn't know if they were worth it.

From what I can tell, it sounds like the same game with better graphics.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 6:39:25 PM
At 7/12/2012 6:30:20 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

The first one I played was Tropico 3, which is similar to 4, except for some new buildings, edicts, and Islands.. I don't know how much similar 4 is to 1 though (although 4 has an expansion consisting of 'modern' buildings and edicts..) I imagine the gameplay is still the same, just with updates in graphics and new additions to the same stuff.. If it's been awhile I'd suggest getting the new one, but take a look at some reviews to see if the additional things they added makes it worthwhile.
Debate.org Moderator
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 9:03:28 PM
At 7/12/2012 6:39:25 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/12/2012 6:30:20 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

The first one I played was Tropico 3, which is similar to 4, except for some new buildings, edicts, and Islands.. I don't know how much similar 4 is to 1 though (although 4 has an expansion consisting of 'modern' buildings and edicts..) I imagine the gameplay is still the same, just with updates in graphics and new additions to the same stuff.. If it's been awhile I'd suggest getting the new one, but take a look at some reviews to see if the additional things they added makes it worthwhile.

I think I'll just go nostalgia and play the original :D
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 12:23:38 PM
I played it, but it was annoying. Kept going into the red. What i dont understand is that half my workers do nothing while i have 3 unfinished buildings lying around.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 3:41:42 PM
At 7/13/2012 12:23:38 PM, tkubok wrote:
I played it, but it was annoying. Kept going into the red. What i dont understand is that half my workers do nothing while i have 3 unfinished buildings lying around.

Island time man.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 3:44:27 PM

You've got to be careful how you develop your economy. Food is going to be important from the start so build enough farms (including a couple cash crop farms, like coffee or sugar) fishing and a ranch. If you build enough you should have a surplus that you can export for some early money. But don't over build at this point, otherwise you'll be spending too much on construction and salaries. In a couple years build an iron or salt mine. Then build a cannery to make your excess agro products worth more. This combined with foreign aid should be enough to keep the Island profitable until you start developing industry.

Workers don't all seem to work on the same schedule. It's always worth having multiple construction offices and turning up construction worker wages a little bit in the beginning.
Debate.org Moderator
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 3:58:10 PM
At 7/13/2012 3:44:27 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

You've got to be careful how you develop your economy. Food is going to be important from the start so build enough farms (including a couple cash crop farms, like coffee or sugar) fishing and a ranch. If you build enough you should have a surplus that you can export for some early money. But don't over build at this point, otherwise you'll be spending too much on construction and salaries. In a couple years build an iron or salt mine. Then build a cannery to make your excess agro products worth more. This combined with foreign aid should be enough to keep the Island profitable until you start developing industry.

Workers don't all seem to work on the same schedule. It's always worth having multiple construction offices and turning up construction worker wages a little bit in the beginning.

It depends on the map, some maps give you a lot of benefit, and a lot of financial aid from other places.

Also, even increasing construction offices doesnt seem to speed up the construction at all. Ive had times when i had one construction office and managed to finish 3 buildings at the same time in the same span, but ive also had 3 construction offices that kept stalling at 1 building that never got done. Its weird, when you click on where the workers are, they are just hanging or driving around aimlessly.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 4:02:29 PM
At 7/13/2012 3:58:10 PM, tkubok wrote:

It depends on the map, some maps give you a lot of benefit, and a lot of financial aid from other places.

Also, even increasing construction offices doesnt seem to speed up the construction at all. Ive had times when i had one construction office and managed to finish 3 buildings at the same time in the same span, but ive also had 3 construction offices that kept stalling at 1 building that never got done. Its weird, when you click on where the workers are, they are just hanging or driving around aimlessly.

Yeah, some maps are more challenging. Make sure to look at the map overlays before doing anything so you can plan ahead and see where the resources are. The worker thing is pretty annoying, but they build eventually, and later in the game if you have a good enough economy you can just build stuff.
Debate.org Moderator
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 7:08:16 PM
At 7/13/2012 4:02:29 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/13/2012 3:58:10 PM, tkubok wrote:

Yeah, some maps are more challenging. Make sure to look at the map overlays before doing anything so you can plan ahead and see where the resources are. The worker thing is pretty annoying, but they build eventually, and later in the game if you have a good enough economy you can just build stuff.

I also dont like how farms take up random crop space. I put farms neatly in a row, making sure to put space inbetween them to grow crops, and they start growing crops on the other side of the road. Well, thanks, ive wasted space and now i cant build on the opposite side. Lrn2 placement.