Jump to topic:

All New Music Sounds the Same!

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2012 1:54:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
According to a recent study, that is. Researchers analyzed the base volume and complexity (via chords, melodies, and sounds) of pop songs from 1955 to 2010.

It comes as no surprise that not only are recent songs louder, they are "more bland" and "homogenized" in every respect. They said nothing of lyrics but I don't think they made up for things in that respect either.

Are modern audiences easier to please? Have we found a more universally appealing sound? Have an increased number of genres limited the sound of "pop?"

Now turn that damn music down and get off my lawn.

http://entertainment.nbcnews.com...
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2012 2:52:04 PM
Yep, pop music has been getting progressively less complex ever since the 1980s. The further you go back the more variety and experimentation you find.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2012 4:06:39 PM
Of course they do. It's usually 2 minutes worth of simple harmonics aligned with useless lyrics, usually pertaining to sex, partying, or dating....as if there's nothing else to our humanity than that.

Music should be communication. It should be unearthed from the deepest chasms of emotion and imagination dwelling in the vastness of our psyche. The effect of such an arrangement is more powerful than any word could convey. That's why I listen to Christian, Country, and Classical music. There's nothing bad about modern music, but it simply appeals to something less affecting. People who don't search for anything else never see the other power of music. In many ways this thinking is snobbish, but it still has some level of truth.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2012 9:27:49 PM
At 7/27/2012 4:06:39 PM, 000ike wrote:
Of course they do. It's usually 2 minutes worth of simple harmonics aligned with useless lyrics, usually pertaining to sex, partying, or dating....as if there's nothing else to our humanity than that.

Music should be communication. It should be unearthed from the deepest chasms of emotion and imagination dwelling in the vastness of our psyche. The effect of such an arrangement is more powerful than any word could convey. That's why I listen to Christian, Country, and Classical music. There's nothing bad about modern music, but it simply appeals to something less affecting. People who don't search for anything else never see the other power of music. In many ways this thinking is snobbish, but it still has some level of truth.

Cos musical snobbery is coolio.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2012 9:59:41 PM

Honestly, those are really fundamental parts of humanity. No lie.

#RealTalk
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2012 10:00:22 PM
At 7/27/2012 9:59:41 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Honestly, those are really fundamental parts of humanity. No lie.

#RealTalk

Don't forget violence
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2012 11:07:56 PM

It is a bit farfetched to attach some higher purpose to music as from some chasms within us and to assume that we all would be demiurges and contain some wonderful world whose impulses, if channeled and expressed, inspire greatness.

It's also quite amusing to see you imply about profoundness as the criteria for great music and while it indeed is fine, it is still subjective enough to be dismissed in my view--an imposed, or rather proposed standard.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 12:07:35 AM
Pop's main strength is catchy/addictive choruses, which most people should agree that they have. This generation also likes good choruses, so naturally, thats whats popular.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 12:42:29 AM
At 7/28/2012 12:07:35 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Pop's main strength is catchy/addictive choruses, which most people should agree that they have. This generation also likes good choruses, so naturally, thats whats popular.

What makes a chorus good (excluding lyrics)? Do you think there is a limited range of melodies, sounds, or chords that are innately more pleasing to listeners?
- lamerde

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:02:45 AM
At 7/27/2012 1:54:16 PM, Maikuru wrote:
According to a recent study, that is. Researchers analyzed the base volume and complexity (via chords, melodies, and sounds) of pop songs from 1955 to 2010.

It comes as no surprise that not only are recent songs louder, they are "more bland" and "homogenized" in every respect. They said nothing of lyrics but I don't think they made up for things in that respect either.

Are modern audiences easier to please? Have we found a more universally appealing sound? Have an increased number of genres limited the sound of "pop?"

This is news to you?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:44:41 AM
At 7/30/2012 12:02:45 AM, MouthWash wrote:
At 7/27/2012 1:54:16 PM, Maikuru wrote:

This is news to you?

This is more of a "...but you don't have to take my word for it" type thread. Also, who here still remembers the Reading Rainbow theme?
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 2:40:20 AM
At 7/30/2012 1:31:39 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 7/30/2012 1:27:44 AM, Maikuru wrote:
New music

Better.
- lamerde

J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 2:51:35 AM
The article doesn't link to actual paper and Google Scholar didn't turn up any results, so I can't critique their methodology. I don't know what songs they actually used, or their criteria for selection. Are they taking a representative sample from every genre or just picking songs at random? Are they weighing genres based on popularity, or by total content produced? How is "pop" music defined? People have differing (and usually incorrect) opinions on what constitutes pop music.

How are they measuring differences? What weight do they assign rhythm, melody, and harmony? How do they account for unorthodox song structures? Music can be incredibly complex. Two songs that superficially sound the same may have vast differences that are only detectable by the well-trained ear. For example, take "1970" and "Gimme Danger," both by The Stooges. They probably both sound like noise. Well, that's because you don't listen to garage/punk.

I generally find that people who make claims like this are either too lazy to explore the different kinds of music being produced today or too close minded to appreciate it. If you listen to Top 20 on 20 and think that's representative of "today's music," you're a tool. And yeah, it does all sound the same. It's formulaic and designed to appeal to people without much musical knowledge or taste. If you're one of those guys who thinks Skynyrd was the last real rock music, you're a tool, too. Drop your biases and listen with an open mind.

Thanks to the internet, we have more access to different music than any previous generation. It enables artists to fill different niches. Music that would have been buried twenty years ago gets to see the light. These songs were all recorded within the last ten years. If you think they all sound the same...I don't know what to tell you.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:02:17 AM

Very true
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 9:42:39 PM
Again, another reason I love Queen. They were so innovative.

The first song, Bohemian Rhapsody, had a 5-act structure (Beginning, Freddie killing a man, Opera, Rock, and the End), and leaped throughout multiple types of music.

The second song, Innuendo, is like Bohemian Rhapsody in the sense it jumped around genres. Also, Innuendo had a very strong meaning behind it.

The third song comes from an album which was very advanced technologically. Made in Heaven was advanced in two ways. First, the 3 surviving members of Queen made songs around the vocals Freddie made in the studio before he died, as they weren't songs before, only voice tracks. Secondly, was that for some songs, it stretched across two tracks. For example, at the end of the third song I posted, the track just cut off. It was actually ended in the 5 second hidden track that came after it that was called 'Yeah' that also led into a 21 minute hidden track on the album.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 5:29:42 AM
At 8/17/2012 7:19:46 AM, Danielle wrote:
Omg - I love Queen. Get a few drinks in me and put Queen on. See what happens :)

I'm genuinely curious.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 4:20:26 PM
I think it's because pop artists play on what's popular. Currently it seems to be catchy dance beats so that is what pop artists incorporate into their music. Remember, the main objective of pop music is to sell.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 11:11:03 AM
I think the problem that there isn't enough variety on the radio and in pop culture. They play the same few songs, by the same few artists, of the same few genres.

I like me some Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Drake, Usher, Black Eyed Peas, etc., but the radio dj's over play it and there aren't enough different radio stations. If you want to listen to hip hop, you have 3 stations playing the same pop Hip Hop instead of underground, classic, or golden era.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat