Jump to topic:

General Comisc Thread

Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 2:51:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I enjoy reading comics,and I know that there are others on this site who enjoy reading comics. So I've decided to create a place to talk about them. No comic is off-limits.

Discuss what you're currently reading or good comics you've read, and recommend comics to other people. Maybe we'll get some other members to start reading.

I'm currently reading Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, The Fantastic Four, and The Avengers mostly from start to finish (I'm starting Uncanny X-Men at #94 because I've been told that the original run is pretty bad). I'm also incorporating the many other Spider-Man and X-Men titles into this list, and once I get to the Onslaught event I'll incorporate even more titles to my list such as Captain America and Iron Man.

It's been mostly great so far. I'm on issue #13 of Spider-Man, #27 of Fantastic Four, and #5 of Avengers. I'm liking Spider-Man a lot, The Avengers is pretty good, and Fantastic Four is just okay. Which is weird since they're all written by the same person.

As for one's I'd recommend there's Nova v4 and Guardians of the Galaxy v2. Both take place in space and involve almost nothing about Earth-based Marvel characters. Nova is the last member of the Nova Corps (Marvel's Green Lanterns) who's taken it upon himself to police the universe by himself because his Corps was destroyed. The Guardians of the Galaxy are a ragtag group of heroes who after saving the universe twice decided that they need to take proactive steps to counter universal threats.

Both series are preceded two Marvel events; Annihilation and Annihilation: Conquest. These events serve as a prelude to the characters,especially Nova, and it would be a good idea to read them before moving on to their respective series.

For any that think this is a daunting recommendation I assure you that it's not. Nova v4 is around 35 issues long and Guardians of the Galaxy is around 25. The Annihilation events are both less than 10 (Unless you read all the tie-ins, which isn't necessary).

I hope this thread takes off.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 3:00:45 AM
I can't believe I typo'd "comics".
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 4:59:24 AM
At 7/29/2012 3:13:34 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Dolan comics.

Can't say I'm a fan. I've seen a few of them that are funny, but the fact that's it's a meme comic guarantees that the vast majority of them suck. Retarded Disney characters just gets old, and I've never laughed at one featuring Gooby.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 12:20:26 AM
Niccccccce.

I'll talk about some of the story lines I'm looking forward to and throw out some recommendations soon; it'll take a bit of thinking.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 12:21:36 AM
Favorite Graphic Novels

I'd love to hear some good graphic novel recommendations. My top 3 are quality but terribly mainstream:

3. Kraven's Last Hunt: One of the best moments in comics is realizing (usually suddenly) that you care about a character you previously brushed off as lame. This novel took Kraven, a leopard-print wearing circus wannabe and crafted through him a story of such heartbreak and frustration that you find yourself rooting for the bad guy.

2. Joker's Last Laugh: The only thing better than building an unknown character up (see above) is breaking a well known character down. This insanely popular novel let Joker do what he does best and leave some beloved Bat-family characters, as well as some of Batman's sanity, in his wake.

1. Kingdom Come: Ever wonder what will happen to your favorite heroes when they get old? We find out through the eyes of a preacher living in a world where a new, violent generation of "superheroes" take over for the old guard. When their wild behavior take the big guns out of retirement, sides are taken and the world is caught in the crossfire.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2012 4:01:57 PM
So I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in terms of the universes, but I've never actually followed a comic. I know of them, but I was discouraged by the sheer number of comics out there and was never sure where to start.

Suggestions?
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2012 5:26:43 AM
At 8/2/2012 4:01:57 PM, caveat wrote:
So I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in terms of the universes, but I've never actually followed a comic. I know of them, but I was discouraged by the sheer number of comics out there and was never sure where to start.

Suggestions?

First of all, if it's a long running superhero comic don't start at issue #1.

For Marvel, the Civil War (http://marvel.wikia.com...) event is a decent place to start with most of their mainstream titles because it wasn't too long ago and plenty of storylines started around that time and event.

With DC you should just start reading at issue #1 of any title in the New 52 (http://dc.wikia.com...) that interests you.

With both of those companies once you're into a series or character it isn't hard to use Google and find recommended reading for the older issues.

If what you're interested in has less than 200 issues you're probably best off just reading the whole thing. Comics don't take that long to read.

I can get more specific if you name characters, genres, or types of stories that you like.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2012 5:43:03 AM
Also, if you read a story that you like a lot, remember who wrote it and look up other stuff they've written. Plenty of comic fans find this more satisfying than simply reading a character.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2012 3:50:06 AM
So I thought I'd try and revive the the thread by giving an update on my reading list. I've made it to issue #62 of Fantastic Four, #40 of Avengers, and #48 of Spider-Man.

Fantastic Four has overtaken the other two titles as my current favorite since Stan Lee and Jack Kirby have finally decided what to do with the characters. For the first thirty or so issues the characterization of the Fantastic Four themselves was all over the place. Their personalities would wildly vary from issue to issue and it wasn't that fun to read. This stops once they begin to write story arcs instead of stand-alone issues.
From The Thing being controlled by the Frightful Four, to the team losing their powers and having to enlist the help of Daredevil to defeat Doctor Doom, leading into the advent of the Inhumans and Galactus, continuing with Doctor Doom absorbing the powers of the Silver Surfer and trying to take over the world the quality of this title has spiked and I'm loving it.

Spider-Man has also gotten better, but not nearly as noticeably as Fantastic Four. Stan Lee and Steve Ditko ended their run wonderfully with the Master Planner Arc and subsequent one-offs, leading to John Romita replacing Ditko as the artist. He debuted with a Green Goblin storyline that was among the best so far.
As far as the actual character goes, Spider-Man spends an issue or two fighting off members of his rogues-gallery while living out his life. He's graduated from high-school and is now in college where he meets Gwen Stacey and Mary-Jane Parker. This is different because it shows a character progressing through time which is fairly rare in comics because of their sliding timescales.

Avengers has mostly stayed consistent throughout the 40 issues I've read, with Don Heck replacing Jack Kirby as the artist. Iron Man, Thor, Giant-Man, and Wasp left the team in issue #16 to be replaced by Hawkeye, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch. They have adventiures and eventually Giant-Man rejoins the team under the pseudonym Goliath, as does Wasp with no name change. Like Spider-Man there hasn't really been any historically significant events yet.

That's an update from the guy who's reading (some of) the Marvel Universe from the beginning.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2012 3:53:47 AM
Forgot to mention that those issues put me at May 1967. Only 45 years of comics to go before I'm caught up.