Jump to topic:

The Dark Knight Rises sucks (spoilers)!

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:00:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
It was a cheap trick to have Bane simply beat up everybody who fights him, including Batman. It's a way to get your villain to be scary without actually being intimidating, or a good character, for that matter. In the previous movie, Batman's ideology wins over the Joker's (a much more satisfying ending), while in this one he simply resolves it through violence. The ending was rather predictable. Nolan puts in more "soul-searching" scenes that these superhero movies always have, but by this time they've become boring repetitive, and unoriginal after two other movies about the same character. There were so many classic scenes in TDK that people will remember, but not from this one.

Also, Bruce Wayne lived. It was revealed earlier that he could program a course into that flying bat thing. He probably bailed out over the water. Although Nolan seems to have totally forgotten about the radiation (which travels quite a bit).
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:49:42 AM
At 7/30/2012 12:39:25 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
You look for too much in a movie.

It was wildly entertaining, faults aside.

I've heard that same position taken by a guy who liked freaking Transformers 2. Watch these, they're educational: [http://redlettermedia.com...]
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 2:42:15 AM
For comic fans, there are things to complain about. For fans of the previous movie, there are points of negative comparison. I don't think any of those things detract from the quality of the movie as a stand-alone or the conclusion of the trilogy.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 8:18:58 PM
I completely expect this sort of reaction from people and I don't really object to anything you've said, though I completely disagree with you.

I think people expected a certain movie (i.e. The Dark Knight, part 2) and when they didn't get that, they're disappointed. I feel like you're the kind of guy who would have wanted Joel Schumacher to come on board and give Bale some Bat-nipples.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 8:23:12 PM
Guess what I realized about the movie the other day.

In the last one, the Joker was put in the Arkham Asylum. In the new one the Arkham Asylum breaks open.

THE JOKER IS FREE!!!
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 8:25:42 PM
Another interesting thing is that TDKR could practically have just been a direct sequel to BB, as Doug Walker pointed out on TGWTG.

While there was the whole idea with Dent dying and the legislation passed being in his honor, they could have just as easily skipped the whole second movie, and just go from Batman wanting to make Gotham a better place to Gotham being a better place in TDKR. Really, instead of the events of TDK creating or bringing about the events of TDKR, they just seem to have only a small effect on them--in the method of Gotham getting better, rather than the fact that it got better.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 8:52:19 PM
At 7/30/2012 8:23:12 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Guess what I realized about the movie the other day.

In the last one, the Joker was put in the Arkham Asylum. In the new one the Arkham Asylum breaks open.

THE JOKER IS FREE!!!

They wanted to put the Joker in the third movie, but Heath ledger took too many pills. It would have been interesting, though: [http://i.crackedcdn.com...]
TheOrator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 9:16:16 PM
At 7/30/2012 12:00:59 AM, MouthWash wrote:
It was a cheap trick to have Bane simply beat up everybody who fights him, including Batman. It's a way to get your villain to be scary without actually being intimidating, or a good character, for that matter. In the previous movie, Batman's ideology wins over the Joker's (a much more satisfying ending), while in this one he simply resolves it through violence. The ending was rather predictable. Nolan puts in more "soul-searching" scenes that these superhero movies always have, but by this time they've become boring repetitive, and unoriginal after two other movies about the same character. There were so many classic scenes in TDK that people will remember, but not from this one.

Also, Bruce Wayne lived. It was revealed earlier that he could program a course into that flying bat thing. He probably bailed out over the water. Although Nolan seems to have totally forgotten about the radiation (which travels quite a bit).

I was also disappointed in this movie, although I was entertained. My favorite part was Bane's revolution, and that was partly because it shows one of the flaws in true communism (that human societies can't really go without government. Eventually a "people's" governing force will arise and oppress people even more than they were originally). That being said, Bane (who was the main antagonist in the movie, which makes this even worse) had dissapointing character development. It was violence, violence, and violence, followed by the fact that he had a strong enough soul to escape the pit, which was followed by the fact that he actually didn't, and just beats the sh*t out of people because someone told him to.

Of course, I don't remember Bane being mentioned in the comics (though I'm not an avid comic reader so it's entirely possible I jsut missed it), so he might have been made up on the fly. I can only wonder what would have happened if Hugh Jackman didn't die...
My legend begins in the 12th century
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 9:21:14 PM
At 7/30/2012 9:16:16 PM, TheOrator wrote:

I was also disappointed in this movie, although I was entertained. My favorite part was Bane's revolution, and that was partly because it shows one of the flaws in true communism (that human societies can't really go without government. Eventually a "people's" governing force will arise and oppress people even more than they were originally). That being said, Bane (who was the main antagonist in the movie, which makes this even worse) had dissapointing character development. It was violence, violence, and violence, followed by the fact that he had a strong enough soul to escape the pit, which was followed by the fact that he actually didn't, and just beats the sh*t out of people because someone told him to.

Of course, I don't remember Bane being mentioned in the comics (though I'm not an avid comic reader so it's entirely possible I jsut missed it), so he might have been made up on the fly. I can only wonder what would have happened if Hugh Jackman didn't die...

Bane was in the comics.

In the original, Bane is the "Man who broke the Bat" and broke Batman's back leaving him paralyzed permanently.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 9:26:44 PM
At 7/30/2012 9:21:14 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Bane was in the comics.

In the original, Bane is the "Man who broke the Bat" and broke Batman's back leaving him paralyzed permanently.

I don't think it was permanently...
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 9:34:48 PM
At 7/30/2012 9:26:44 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 7/30/2012 9:21:14 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Bane was in the comics.

I don't think it was permanently...

I thought it was? I could be wrong.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 9:45:35 PM
Bane was introduced during the Knightfall series of comics. He is a genius who uses a chemical called venom (something like a combination of amphetamines and steriods) to be at the peak of human potential. He is obsessed with beating Batman. He lures Batman into fighting against a bunch of his greatest enemies to tire him out and then fight and beats him, breaking his spine over his knee.
A bunch of other stuff happens (including Azrael and Nightwing standing in as Batman for a while).
Eventually Batman recovers in the magical Lazarus pit, returns and beats Bane.

Muh threads
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 9:48:12 PM
I wonder if anyone is interested in debating me on this movie. I feel like it's an excellent conclusion and I'm sure, if we can work out the right resolution, that I can find someone to debate against me.

How about "RESOLVED: The Dark Knight Rises is a fitting conclusion"

Muh threads
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 9:56:40 PM
At 7/30/2012 9:45:35 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Bane was introduced during the Knightfall series of comics. He is a genius who uses a chemical called venom (something like a combination of amphetamines and steriods) to be at the peak of human potential. He is obsessed with beating Batman. He lures Batman into fighting against a bunch of his greatest enemies to tire him out and then fight and beats him, breaking his spine over his knee.
A bunch of other stuff happens (including Azrael and Nightwing standing in as Batman for a while).
Eventually Batman recovers in the magical Lazarus pit, returns and beats Bane.

Oh he does come back. I was misinformed then.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 11:05:44 PM
At 7/30/2012 9:48:12 PM, tvellalott wrote:
I wonder if anyone is interested in debating me on this movie. I feel like it's an excellent conclusion and I'm sure, if we can work out the right resolution, that I can find someone to debate against me.

Since you thought it was excellent, how about ""RESOLVED: The Dark Knight Rises is an excellent conclusion" lol. I'd take that.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 1:19:34 AM
At 7/30/2012 11:05:44 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 7/30/2012 9:48:12 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Since you thought it was excellent, how about ""RESOLVED: The Dark Knight Rises is an excellent conclusion" lol. I'd take that.

How do we define excellent? And you can't debate me on anything until we do the UTW.

Muh threads
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 6:44:53 PM
At 7/30/2012 12:49:42 AM, MouthWash wrote:

I've heard that same position taken by a guy who liked freaking Transformers 2. Watch these, they're educational: [http://redlettermedia.com...]

Dude, the Batman movie was extremely entertaining. Since I'm just a casual movie goer, I thought the movie was excellent and didn't put as much thought into "character development" and other stuff like that. I just went there to have a good time. And there is nothing wrong with Transformers 2!! Sure, the dialog was cheesy and TERRIBLE, and the stereotypes were inappropriate, but REAL MEN LIKE GIANT ROBOTS FIGHTING WITH DEATH LASERS AND OTHER COOL CRAP. A solid 3/5. Look at my signature. Movie snobs nitpick stuff in movies they don't like. Both Transformers, and Batman were awesome.

I'm never going to Arby's ever again. Where I live, a child found a human finger in his burger. RETCH.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 8:20:53 PM
At 7/31/2012 6:44:53 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:

Dude, the Batman movie was extremely entertaining. Since I'm just a casual movie goer, I thought the movie was excellent and didn't put as much thought into "character development" and other stuff like that. I just went there to have a good time. And there is nothing wrong with Transformers 2!! Sure, the dialog was cheesy and TERRIBLE, and the stereotypes were inappropriate, but REAL MEN LIKE GIANT ROBOTS FIGHTING WITH DEATH LASERS AND OTHER COOL CRAP. A solid 3/5. Look at my signature. Movie snobs nitpick stuff in movies they don't like. Both Transformers, and Batman were awesome.

I'm never going to Arby's ever again. Where I live, a child found a human finger in his burger. RETCH.

Cases like that are usually faked in order to get a lawsuit fired up.

If you think about it, how would you conceivably get a human finger into an Arby's meal? It doesn't happen.
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 10:35:00 AM
At 7/31/2012 8:20:53 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/31/2012 6:44:53 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:

Cases like that are usually faked in order to get a lawsuit fired up.

If you think about it, how would you conceivably get a human finger into an Arby's meal? It doesn't happen.

Dude, the entire restaurant saw the finger and the child vomiting on the ground. I don't think it would be faked... the finger might have got in there when the meat was being processed.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 10:44:42 AM
Bane is a crappy villain. I would have much rather had the Riddler.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 10:52:49 AM
The Riddler is a wussy. I think Bane was a good choice, but it would have been good to have the Joker again, but with Harley Quinn or something new like that.