Jump to topic:

Cloud Atlas.

Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 7:37:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It looks like it has the potential to be really mind blowing. I'm always interested in things that blend historical and futuristic stuff. That said, the only thing that REALLY makes the trailer stand out and look breath taking next to things like Inception (they can't avoid such comparisons when they market the movie this way- even though it probably doesn't have anything to do with Inception's style or plot) is the futuristic Blade Runnerish cityscape. The 1960s/70s part with Tom Hanks as a scientist looks pretty cool, as does the post apocalyptic tribal part.

Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting the story, I have no knowledge of the film outside of the trailer.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 12:03:45 AM
At 8/4/2012 8:37:01 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
It looks really interesting.

But what's the premise? Reincarnation? Time travel? Something else?

I couldn't figure out which.

It's basically how one's persons's actions effect events past, present and future. All of the characters are linked to each other in some indirect way.

The wikipedia gives a nice overview:

"The novel consists of six nested stories that take the reader from the remote South Pacific in the nineteenth century to a distant, post-apocalyptic future. Each tale is revealed to be a story that is read (or observed) by the main character in the next. All stories but the last are interrupted at some moment, and after the sixth story concludes at the center of the book, the novel "goes back" in time, "closing" each story as the book progresses in terms of pages but regresses in terms of the historical period in which the action takes place. Eventually, readers end where they started, with Adam Ewing in the Pacific Ocean, circa 1850.

The Pacific Journal of Adam Ewing
Pacific Ocean, circa 1850. Adam Ewing, an American notary's account of a voyage home from the remote Chatham Islands, east of New Zealand. The next character discovers this story as a diary on his patron's bookshelf.

Letters from Zedelghem
Zedelgem, Belgium, 1931. Robert Frobisher, a penniless young English musician, finds work as an amanuensis to a composer living in Belgium. This story is saved in the form of letters to his friend (and implied lover) Rufus Sixsmith, which the next character discovers after meeting Sixsmith.

Half-Lives: The First Luisa Rey Mystery.
Buenas Yerbas, California, 1975. Luisa Rey, a journalist, investigates reports of corruption and murder at a nuclear power plant. The next character is sent this story in the mail, in the form of a manuscript for a novel.

The Ghastly Ordeal of Timothy Cavendish
United Kingdom, early 21st century. Timothy Cavendish, a vanity press publisher, flees the brothers of his gangster client. He gets confined against his will in a nursing home from which he cannot escape. The next character watches a movie dramatisation of this story.

An Orison of Sonmi~451
Nea So Copros (Korea), dystopian near future. Sonmi~451, a genetically-engineered fabricant (clone) server at Papa Song's diner (a proxy for large fast-dining chains), is interviewed before her execution after she rebels against the totalitarian society that created and exploited her kind. The next character watches Sonmi's story projected holographically in an "orison," a futuristic recording device.

Sloosha's Crossin' an' Ev'rythin' After
Hawaii, post-apocalyptic distant future. Zachry, a tribesman living a primitive life after most of humanity dies during "the Fall," is visited by Meronym, a member of the last remnants of technologically-advanced civilization. This story is told when the protagonist is an old man, to seemingly random strangers around a campfire."

http://en.wikipedia.org...(novel)

I really hope the Wachowski bros don't mess this one up.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 12:08:31 AM
But, yeah, it does also incorporate reincarnation.

"Mitchell has said of the book: "All of the [leading] characters are reincarnations of the same soul ... identified by a birthmark. ... The "cloud" refers to the ever-changing manifestations of the "atlas", which is the fixed human nature. ... The book's theme is predacity ... individuals prey on individuals, groups on groups, nations on nations."[10]
Many other themes permeate the book. Movements of ascent and descent, for example, appear in each of the six stories. They are suggestive of humanity's larger moral epiphanies and failings. Adam Ewing, whilst ascending the volcano on the Chatham Islands loses his footing and tumbles down into a hollow (p19); Robert Frobisher is forced to jump from the first floor of hotel to avoid paying his bill (p43); the car of Luisa Rey is shunted off the edge of a bridge and falls into the water around Swannekke Bridge (p144); the author whom Timothy Cavendish publishes ejects a literary critic from the 12th floor of a hotel (p151); the clone, or fabricant, called Sonmi~451 ascends from the underground shopping mall in which she works (p208), and her growing self-consciousness is also explicitly described as an "ascension". Finally, Zachry Bailey and Meronym climb and then descend the Hawaiian mountain of Mauna Kea, Zachry confronting the temptations of the devil (named as Ol' Georgie in the book) (p282 onwards).[11]
Moreover, many of the stories have their authenticity challenged in the narrative that succeeds them. Robert Frobisher, for instance, feels that Ewing's purported journal is too neatly structured to be genuine; "Half Lives" is implied to be a fictional adventure novel submitted to Timothy Cavendish's literary agency."
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 12:24:07 AM
First of all...

DON'T WATCH THE TRAILER!

That thing has mad spoilers, son! I counted at least 4 clearly significant plot changers. If you think you might be interested in the film, read a brief teaser instead.

Anyway, it is so, so hard to make a story involving multiple generations work. The plot lines, the characters, and the chronology can easily become jumbled. The larger the gap between generations, the worse this effect becomes. It looks well made but it's something to consider.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 10:49:18 PM
At 8/5/2012 12:24:07 AM, Maikuru wrote:
First of all...

DON'T WATCH THE TRAILER!

That thing has mad spoilers, son! I counted at least 4 clearly significant plot changers. If you think you might be interested in the film, read a brief teaser instead.

Anyway, it is so, so hard to make a story involving multiple generations work. The plot lines, the characters, and the chronology can easily become jumbled. The larger the gap between generations, the worse this effect becomes. It looks well made but it's something to consider.

Have you read the books?

And, yeah, I agree with you. I wonder how long the movie is going to be. If I had to guess I'd say it looks like it's going to be close to the 3 hour mark.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 10:51:36 PM
At 8/5/2012 10:49:18 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
First of all...

DON'T WATCH THE TRAILER!

Have you read the books?

And, yeah, I agree with you. I wonder how long the movie is going to be. If I had to guess I'd say it looks like it's going to be close to the 3 hour mark.

It is. 3 hours and 4 minutes
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 12:05:04 AM
At 8/5/2012 10:51:36 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
First of all...

DON'T WATCH THE TRAILER!

Have you read the books?

It is. 3 hours and 4 minutes

http://noobstore.com...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 2:29:43 AM
First of all...

DON'T WATCH THE TRAILER!

Have you read the books?

No, I didn't even realize it was based on a book until the end of the trailer. From what I can tell, it looks like an interesting read.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...