Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Mortal Kombat 9

tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 8:22:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't usually do game reviews but this game was slightly more difficult to get than any other game I've ever bought and I'm enjoying it immensely, so I thought I'd do a quick (edit: lol) review and see what other people think of it.

MORTAL KOMBAT 9 (known simply as 'Mortal Kombat' and from now to be referred to simply as MK)

First of all, for those of you who don't know MK was refused classification in Australia, South Korea and (I believe) Germany for "Violence exceeding the MA15+ classification".

Prior to playing it, I wonder what world we were living in where I can buy games like God of War III, Resident Evil 5, GTA5 and so on but not a simple fighting game.

Oh, how wrong I was.

It seems with the development of NetherRealm studios (after Midway collapsed in 2010), the developers really wanted to take the game back to its roots; that is extremely graphic violence. Well they've done that. This game is by far the most violent game I've ever played and easily the best Mortal Kombat game EVER.

It's fan-fvcking-tastic.

I'm a big fan of the MK series back in the SNES/Genesis generation. It is the first game I ever remember playing really (apart from some Atari games and Sonic), with a significant amount of time being spent playing MK2 during my pre-teen years. I remember writing down all the moves and fatalities out of a friends game magazine (we didn't have scanners and the internet back then).

Anyway, back to the MK9.

For those who don't know, the MK series actually has a continuing plot across the various games and this one is literally a reboot. The last MK game before MKvsDC was Armageddon (I'm PRETTY sure, I lost interest once the violence went down and the combat system started to seem like a crappier version of Soul Calibre) and according to this game, the Earthrealm lost. The awesome opening video of story mode depicts a battlefield littered with the mutilated bodies of all the famous MK fighters and shows Shao Kahn beating Raiden around while making his victory speech. Raiden sends his past self (the Raiden of the original MK) a prophesy right before he dies.

And so it begins, with this game taking place over the events of the first three MK games. That means almost all the original fighters and stages have been redesigned for this game, but with HD graphics (it's the first 1080p game I've played on the PS3). It is nostalgic as hell. Also, Kratos (my favourite antagonist ever) and Freddy Frikkin Kruger.

The fighting is back to 2D style, with fighters unable to do Tekken style side steps. It's a true reboot. The combat system is not perfect, but it's both simple and intricate, allowing a casual gamer like my partner to pick it up and play (and beat me :O) but a serious gamer like myself can find a lot to it. It's basically the same old thing; you have punches and kicks, you have special moves, you have some simple combos and you have your finishing moves. The addition of the X-ray bar however adds a huge new level. Divided into 3 sections, you can do various things depending on how much 'charge' you have. 1 section can be expended to do an extended version of your special moves; 2 sections can be expended to break a combo and all 3 can be used to do the x-ray move, which is in my opinion the thing that makes this an R-rated game (although I've only seen one fatality as of the writing of this; Sub-Zero freezes the bottom half of his opponent and rips the top half off, complete with bloody dangling spine)

Basically, when you hit with an x-ray move you're treated to a good 5-10 seconds of brutal cut scene of yourself or your opponent getting their skull broken, eyes stabbed out, kidney frozen and smashed and so on (with each fighter having a different x-ray move). It slow-motion, you see graphic detail of it happening and it's, well, pretty awesome. It's funny to see the victim of this brutalising jump back up and keep fighting when they should certainly be dead. It's Mortal Kombat to a tee.

There is a lot to do in the game as well; there's the 16 chapter story mode with each fighter getting around 4-5 fights against an opponent as you see the story play out. There's regular ladder style, reminiscent of the original games and there's the challenge tower, with 300 challenges. There a sh!t-ton of stuff to unlock with your 'kombat dollars' and since my missus absolutely loves this game (reminds her of her childhood gaming too), we'll be playing it for some time. This game also has a tag-team type system where you pick two characters and can switch between them, which is really well done (and infuriating when you're playing story mode and have to fight a tag-team by yourself).

Another great thing about this game for me is the taboo nature of it. I ordered my copy (I bought the 'Komplete Version" because it has all the DLC already built into it and I otherwise wouldn't have been able to get it) from Hong Kong and the brilliant seller wrote 'book' as the kind of item, as this game is a banned item and would have otherwise been seized by customs. Australia doesn't have an R rating for games (yet) so this game is illegal here. Thankfully PS3 doesn't have region locking, so it works perfectly on my system, even allowing for Trophies to be unlocked.

Anyway, that enough ranting. I'm looking forward to really mastering this game. So far I haven't put any significant time into any one character (there are soooo many of the awesome ones in this game) so I'm presuming that I'll eventually settle on one and proceed to kill everyone who comes and challenges me (since I'm fairly certain I'm the only person I know who has and ever will have this game).

RATING:
Graphics: 9/10 - The game looks beautiful; they haven't gone for photo-realistic characters (since it's a fantasy game) but the arenas, characters, the x-ray moves all look amazingly bloody. Seeing your enemies rips poking out after you've beat the crap out of them? Yes. Hell yes.
Sound: 8/10 - Nostalgic as hell. All the old sound-bytes have been redone and the music is straight out of the old-school game, but done for 2012.
Gameplay: 8/10 - I love it; it's no Tekken (which I maintain is the best fighting series ever made) but it's fun as hell. Easy to pick up and difficult to master; my kind of game.
Replay: 10/10 - Fighting games usually kill replayability anyway (since they designed to be picked up, have a few fights and turned off) but with all the additional content to unlock, this game may be the most replayable game ever.

Closing Comments: If you have ever loved Mortal Kombat, get this game.
9/10
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 5:33:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well, I must do an update.

This game has turned out to be even better than I first thought. After doing a bit of research into advanced combos, I discovered the combo system is far more elaborate than I ever thought, with almost endless possibilities due to the ability to juggle opponents allowing various combos to be strung together. I can't praise this game enough.

Also, Smoke is fcking awesome.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 12:32:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I love the idea of game reviews. I've never been a fan of MK so I can't jump on board on this one, but keep it up!
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
airmax1227
Posts: 13,241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 12:40:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Yeah, this was a great game and I played the heck out of it. I hadn't played an MK game since MK trilogy on N64, but my friends said this one was great so I bought it, played through the story mode (which was awesome) and 'ladder mode' (which was great too), unlocked as much stuff as I could, and played tons of off-line multi-player.

I highly recommend it to anyone who likes fighter games, and even causal fighter fans (like myself).

@TV
It seems like I played it forever ago though... did it only recently come out in Australia? Or did you just finally get the chance to play it? Also, isn't this the type of game that the powers that be love to ban there? (Speaking of which, has an adult rating been added to games in Australia yet?... I believe that was supposed to happen, but I haven't read anything lately about it...)
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Posts: 13,241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 12:43:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/26/2012 12:40:53 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
Yeah, this was a great game and I played the heck out of it. I hadn't played an MK game since MK trilogy on N64, but my friends said this one was great so I bought it, played through the story mode (which was awesome) and 'ladder mode' (which was great too), unlocked as much stuff as I could, and played tons of off-line multi-player.

I highly recommend it to anyone who likes fighter games, and even causal fighter fans (like myself).

@TV
It seems like I played it forever ago though... did it only recently come out in Australia? Or did you just finally get the chance to play it? Also, isn't this the type of game that the powers that be love to ban there? (Speaking of which, has an adult rating been added to games in Australia yet?... I believe that was supposed to happen, but I haven't read anything lately about it...)

Looks like I skimmed over the part where you answered my question regarding whether it was banned... That's a bummer... I hope that issue gets resolved eventually.
Debate.org Moderator
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 1:01:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/26/2012 12:43:39 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 8/26/2012 12:40:53 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
Yeah, this was a great game and I played the heck out of it. I hadn't played an MK game since MK trilogy on N64, but my friends said this one was great so I bought it, played through the story mode (which was awesome) and 'ladder mode' (which was great too), unlocked as much stuff as I could, and played tons of off-line multi-player.

I highly recommend it to anyone who likes fighter games, and even causal fighter fans (like myself).

@TV
It seems like I played it forever ago though... did it only recently come out in Australia? Or did you just finally get the chance to play it? Also, isn't this the type of game that the powers that be love to ban there? (Speaking of which, has an adult rating been added to games in Australia yet?... I believe that was supposed to happen, but I haven't read anything lately about it...)

Looks like I skimmed over the part where you answered my question regarding whether it was banned... That's a bummer... I hope that issue gets resolved eventually.

I bought it despite the ban. Fvck the police.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 1:04:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/26/2012 12:32:24 AM, Maikuru wrote:
I love the idea of game reviews. I've never been a fan of MK so I can't jump on board on this one, but keep it up!

Well you know I love to give my detailed opinion on such things, even if no-one cares what I have to say. :P

Do you not like MK or fighting games in general. This game has knocked Tekken 6 off the top of my favourite fighting games.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 1:27:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The only fighting series I've ever enjoyed is the Super Smash Bros. series. In fact, I absolutely love them. They offer a sense of freedom and creativity I find lacking in most other fighters. Also, there are very few combos in SSB and unbreakable ones are generally banned. I don't like the idea of simply memorizing button presses. I'm more about improv.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 2:58:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/26/2012 1:27:12 AM, Maikuru wrote:
The only fighting series I've ever enjoyed is the Super Smash Bros. series. In fact, I absolutely love them. They offer a sense of freedom and creativity I find lacking in most other fighters. Also, there are very few combos in SSB and unbreakable ones are generally banned. I don't like the idea of simply memorizing button presses. I'm more about improv.

Omg this. SSB is probably one of the best fighting series created just for it's actual lack of fluidity and how well it exploits that. There's no sense to it, and it's all just one mad scramble. Anyone can literally pick it up, pick a character, and be on par with just about everyone else (unless you're like me who plays with no items and routinely keeps in shape by dueling off against a number of level 9's on your own with Fox :3). There really aren't any such things as combos. There are moves that work okay if you can pull them off, but the game seems hell-bent on preventing things like combos from ever occurring, so you're more likely to find yourself button-mashing halfway through the fight than trying to string moves together.

This is, alas, why I was sad the day when lightning struck my driveway and fried my Wii .-. I want to play Brawl so badly again.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 3:14:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/26/2012 2:58:11 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 8/26/2012 1:27:12 AM, Maikuru wrote:
The only fighting series I've ever enjoyed is the Super Smash Bros. series. In fact, I absolutely love them. They offer a sense of freedom and creativity I find lacking in most other fighters. Also, there are very few combos in SSB and unbreakable ones are generally banned. I don't like the idea of simply memorizing button presses. I'm more about improv.

Omg this. SSB is probably one of the best fighting series created just for it's actual lack of fluidity and how well it exploits that. There's no sense to it, and it's all just one mad scramble. Anyone can literally pick it up, pick a character, and be on par with just about everyone else (unless you're like me who plays with no items and routinely keeps in shape by dueling off against a number of level 9's on your own with Fox :3). There really aren't any such things as combos. There are moves that work okay if you can pull them off, but the game seems hell-bent on preventing things like combos from ever occurring, so you're more likely to find yourself button-mashing halfway through the fight than trying to string moves together.

This is, alas, why I was sad the day when lightning struck my driveway and fried my Wii .-. I want to play Brawl so badly again.

Fox, huh? I'm a Kirby man myself. Get that thing working. Final Destination awaits!
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Xerge
Posts: 1,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 7:23:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/26/2012 2:58:11 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 8/26/2012 1:27:12 AM, Maikuru wrote:
The only fighting series I've ever enjoyed is the Super Smash Bros. series. In fact, I absolutely love them. They offer a sense of freedom and creativity I find lacking in most other fighters. Also, there are very few combos in SSB and unbreakable ones are generally banned. I don't like the idea of simply memorizing button presses. I'm more about improv.

Omg this. SSB is probably one of the best fighting series created just for it's actual lack of fluidity and how well it exploits that. There's no sense to it, and it's all just one mad scramble. Anyone can literally pick it up, pick a character, and be on par with just about everyone else (unless you're like me who plays with no items and routinely keeps in shape by dueling off against a number of level 9's on your own with Fox :3). There really aren't any such things as combos. There are moves that work okay if you can pull them off, but the game seems hell-bent on preventing things like combos from ever occurring, so you're more likely to find yourself button-mashing halfway through the fight than trying to string moves together.

This is, alas, why I was sad the day when lightning struck my driveway and fried my Wii .-. I want to play Brawl so badly again.

Ah, I like SSB series myself.

I like playing with Fox in Melee and Diddy Kong/Ike in Brawl.
Xerge
Posts: 1,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 7:31:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I played MK 9. I enjoyed the 2d games but did not like the 3D, Tekken-Style ones that much. I am more of a Street Fighter person, but it is a good game.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:31:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Playstation Battle-Royale All-Stars is coming. I'll be getting that me thinks.
Memorising button combinations is an acquired taste I suppose. As for SSB being a "anyone can pick up and play and compete with an experienced player" ... We all know that's not true. ;)
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...