Jump to topic:

Spec Ops: The Line

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 12:26:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Spec Ops: The Line personifies the reason why games such as Call of Duty have been massively successful over their much more realistic counter-parts.

http://www.specopstheline.com...

Spec Ops: The Line is a game where (SPOILER ALERT. IF YOU PLAN TO PLAY THE GAME, I SUGGEST LOOKING AWAY NOW) you play as Captain Walker, a Delta Recon officer in charge of a 3 man squad. You were sent into Dubai, after it was practically leveled by a cataclysmic sandstorm, to rescue a stranded company of soldiers sent in there to try and evacuate the city before the storm hit and then call for evac.

From there, though, all hell is blown loose. You arrive to find the city gripped by thugs and ruffians, all lead by the very army soldiers that are not only on your very side, but the ones you were sent to rescue. The CIA has operators in the area who are trying to arm the locals in rebellion, but they have their head stuck so far up their a**es it's not even funny. So it's up to you to sort things out. Your mission has gone to hell, there's no rescue and evac now.

The game then forces you to walk a very thin line, to decide what is moral and what isn't moral out in the field when everything has gone to hell and it forces you to choose between two things: duty and survival. From there it takes things to...well....gruesome extremes, all with the same moral choice.

However, the only problem with this is that the choices are enough to give people nightmares about. Your youngest member ends up getting lynched by an angry mob. Your sergeant ends up being ripped apart by chain gun fire and explosives, all shot from a helicopter. You personally end up with one wicked case of PTSD in the field, and have frequent hallucinations that seem mind-numbingly real, even to the point of you 'being shot' by a figure of a person you were sent to rescue that ended up condemning you to death, but was never alive to begin with.

The game is good (very good cover-to-cover fighting, third person shooter), but it's enough to make me feel depressed after playing it. Call of Duty, however, does no such thing. While Spec Ops: The Line is arguably a superior game to Call of Duty, the reason why games such as Call of Duty are wildly popular and games such as Spec Ops: The Line are not is because no one wants to play through a game and feel depressed with themselves for having to actually watch as you mortar innocent people with white phosphorous shells in order to make your way through a enemy-hot plaza to a target building. Those decisions are things that Call of Duty (maybe wisely) steers away from.

But anyway, I'm done with my rant. Anyone else played this game? If so, what did you think about it?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 2:56:22 AM
It's pretty obvious that the Cod fan base is 90% idiots. Muppets.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 2:57:28 AM
As for Spec Ops, I saw a video of it. It looks very interesting, but the gunplay doesn't seem meaty.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Ultra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 10:16:18 AM
I enjoyed Spec Ops: The Line. It's not often that you see a third person war shooter with such a gripping story line.

However, I thought the ending was fvcking horrible.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 8:44:20 PM
At 8/26/2012 2:57:28 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
As for Spec Ops, I saw a video of it. It looks very interesting, but the gunplay doesn't seem meaty.

The gunplay is actually really great. I was pretty impressed with it.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 8:44:53 PM
At 8/26/2012 10:16:18 AM, Ultra wrote:
I enjoyed Spec Ops: The Line. It's not often that you see a third person war shooter with such a gripping story line.

I was thoroughly confused with the ending. Wtf happened?
Ultra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 10:02:25 AM
At 8/28/2012 8:44:53 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Konrad never existed, he was simply a figment of Walker's imagination. In the last scene, Walker kills himself.

Although, I believe there might have been another option besides suicide. Checking right now.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 11:01:41 AM
At 9/2/2012 10:02:25 AM, Ultra wrote:

Konrad never existed, he was simply a figment of Walker's imagination. In the last scene, Walker kills himself.

Although, I believe there might have been another option besides suicide. Checking right now.

Fight Club.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 4:40:27 PM

there are several endings other than Walker killing himself.

In one, he gets saved by the US Military. In another, he murders the people sent out to save him =/

I watch a playthrough of it by SSohPKC
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2012 9:12:13 PM
At 9/2/2012 4:40:27 PM, vmpire321 wrote:

there are several endings other than Walker killing himself.

In one, he gets saved by the US Military. In another, he murders the people sent out to save him =/

I watch a playthrough of it by SSohPKC

Really? I never found those endings. I saw that there were two different endings at the Konrad scene (and did both of them) but I never saw those.