Jump to topic:

Song of Ice and Fire

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 8:48:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I started reading this series just yesterday. I only have finished a part of Book 1, but it's definitely worth reading. I don't like how the females are treated at all, but it looks like some of them are attempting to carve out their own spheres of power and identity in spite of the fact that they are essentially just sexual entertainment for the men, so it should be interesting to see what they accomplish.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 8:55:00 PM
Whats the premise?

I've been needing a good book series to read...I burn through them way to fast.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 8:56:38 PM
At 8/30/2012 8:48:56 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I don't like how the females are treated at all, but it looks like some of them are attempting to carve out their own spheres of power and identity in spite of the fact that they are essentially just sexual entertainment for the men,

Lol, you would not like 50 Shades of Grey.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 8:57:23 PM
At 8/30/2012 8:56:38 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
I don't like how the females are treated at all, but it looks like some of them are attempting to carve out their own spheres of power and identity in spite of the fact that they are essentially just sexual entertainment for the men,

Lol, you would not like 50 Shades of Grey.

I have no idea what that is, and from what you said, I'm not even going to bother to look it up.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 2:24:37 AM
I started reading this series just yesterday. I only have finished a part of Book 1, but it's definitely worth reading.

Watch the show now, then read the rest of the books.

I don't like how the females are treated at all, but it looks like some of them are attempting to carve out their own spheres of power and identity in spite of the fact that they are essentially just sexual entertainment for the men, so it should be interesting to see what they accomplish.

You'll definitely like the direction GRRM goes with Daenerys, Catelyn, Brienne, and possibly Cersei. I'd say Arya, but you already like her. You'll also probably enjoy Jon's part in A Storm of Swords.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 3:53:54 AM
At 8/30/2012 8:55:00 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Whats the premise?

It's about a troubled musician who's father left him a mysterious piece o sheet music called "A song of Ice and Fire". I wouldn't want to spoil anything else.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:45:59 AM
At 8/31/2012 3:53:54 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
Whats the premise?

It's about a troubled musician who's father left him a mysterious piece o sheet music called "A song of Ice and Fire". I wouldn't want to spoil anything else.

Hmm.....I think I'm gonna read it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 4:31:53 PM
At 8/31/2012 6:45:59 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 8/31/2012 3:53:54 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
Whats the premise?

Hmm.....I think I'm gonna read it.

That's not what it's about. At all.

It's a medieval fantasy political intrigue series entirely based upon many different factions trying to seizing and keep the throne of a kingdom. I once heard a person describe it as The Sopranos in the Dark Ages.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 6:04:09 AM
I started reading the series in June, after getting hooked on the show accidentally.

You will fly through the first three books. Things slow down in Book 4 (A Feast for Crows). It's not bad, but too many new main characters are introduced (about whom you just won't care as much), and George R. R. Martin focuses only on certain characters through the book, and on the other main characters in most of Book 5.

I'm currently half-way through Book 5 (A Dance with Dragons), but I won't be able to keep the pace I had over summer because of work. Book 5 isn't bad, but it's more like Book 4 than Books 1-3. However, the last 1/3 of Book 5 brings all the traditional/main character chapters back together again; maybe that will pick up the pace somewhat.

My favorite chapters are, by far, Tyrion's and Arya's. I also like the Jaime chapters starting in Book 3.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 12:37:06 AM
Third of the way through the second book. Dany is my favourite character by far.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 7:21:11 PM
Dany and Arya are awesome, Sansa is a moron, and Jaime and Tyrion are just irritating. My favorite female characters are Dany and Arya, and my favorite male character is Jon.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 8:35:14 PM
At 9/8/2012 9:37:47 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Jamie isn't so bad, but I still despise Ceresi. My new favorite character is Tyrion.

I'm just going to put this out there; I like EVERY protagonist in this book, even Sansa though I obviously have favourites... Every character serves a purpose. I am simply plowing through the second book. The first one took me a month of a few chapters a night. The second book however, I've read more than half in a week. It just keeps going in directions I didn't see coming. Everything is so crazy at this point!

Muh threads
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 5:37:22 PM
Just finished the second book. Wow, the author is really brutal and completely unpredictable. Im going to finish all the books well before the next one comes out.

Muh threads
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 11:41:44 AM
At 9/15/2012 5:37:22 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Just finished the second book. Wow, the author is really brutal and completely unpredictable. Im going to finish all the books well before the next one comes out.

The third book is the best in the series, just you wait. :)
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 11:44:42 AM
I started reading this series just yesterday. I only have finished a part of Book 1, but it's definitely worth reading. I don't like how the females are treated at all, but it looks like some of them are attempting to carve out their own spheres of power and identity in spite of the fact that they are essentially just sexual entertainment for the men, so it should be interesting to see what they accomplish.

You might like Asha, or Arianne, or Brienne, or Osha, or Lyanna, or...

Arya is clearly one of the best characters in the series.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 12:58:29 PM
After catching up on the HBO adaptation, I just started reading as well. I never really realized this in the show, but holy crap, Catelyn is a jerk. That line she says to Jon as he's leaving from saying his goodbye to Bran? Yeeeeah. I think Tyrion and Dany are the most interesting characters so far. I don't really find Jon that interesting, but his interactions with Arya are sweet.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 1:04:34 PM
Also, I can't wait to read about the assassin guy from S2 of the show. From the part where (SPOILER kind of, not that huge) Arya is Tywin's maid person or w/e. That whole thing was awesome.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 1:27:07 PM
I find it amusing and interesting to see new peoples reactions to certain events in the books (especially in book 3). :D
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 10:17:09 PM
The series has me by the balls... Smashing through the books now. Still maintain that all the protagonists are good to read, even if I don't particularly like them. For instance, while reading through book 1 I dreaded the Sansa chapters. But the thing is, the Sansa chapters aren't just about her; they're just from her perspective and when I realised that, I stopped dreading them.

Also, I can't stress enough that you should read the books BEFORE you watch the show. I didn't and it made the first book a bit difficult to read.

Also also, AHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muh threads
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 10:53:20 PM
At 9/16/2012 10:17:09 PM, tvellalott wrote:
The series has me by the balls... Smashing through the books now. Still maintain that all the protagonists are good to read, even if I don't particularly like them. For instance, while reading through book 1 I dreaded the Sansa chapters. But the thing is, the Sansa chapters aren't just about her; they're just from her perspective and when I realised that, I stopped dreading them.

Also, I can't stress enough that you should read the books BEFORE you watch the show. I didn't and it made the first book a bit difficult to read.

I'd have to agree. It's definitely cool to see more into the characters motives and whatnot, but it kind of sucks because you know the obvious plot twists. That being said, I find it extremely easy to keep up with the different characters and locations, of which there are no shortage, and I'm not sure if that would have come as easily otherwise. Still, I'd trade that for a fresh unspoiled plot in a heartbeat.

Also also, AHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 1:44:30 AM
At 9/16/2012 10:54:22 PM, Rusty wrote:
Does anyone know where season 2 of the show ends in the books?

Seems to end around the prologue of book 3, part 1 maybe a bit further going purely off the wikipedia page. I don't know how closely it sticks to the books in terms of chronology; I'd say pooka would be the man to ask.

Muh threads
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 12:49:40 AM
At 9/16/2012 10:17:09 PM, tvellalott wrote:
The series has me by the balls... Smashing through the books now.

You'll get your balls back in Book 4, when things slow down a TON. When you're forced to read about the characters for whom you least care, not to mention a sh'load of new characters (about whom you won't care too much), you'll slow your pace.

I'm still on Book 5, but I'm not in a hurry. I almost don't want to forget too much before The Winds of Winter (allegedly the largest yet) is released. I'd have been pretty upset to have waited five years between Book 3 (the best one) and Book 4 (the slowest one); I'm glad I waited until I could immediately pick up the next one and read it.

What bothers me most about Book 5, so far, is GRRM's obsession with the phrase "words are wind." It was hardly said, if at all, in the first five books---and suddenly it becomes the most popular phrase in the world.

I'm 2-3 chapters away (Book 5) from the character timeline drawing concurrent once again. My favorite chapters are still Tyrion, Arya, and Jaime. I'm bored with the Dany/Mereen saga.