Jump to topic:

Most Depressing Movie of All-Time?

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 7:53:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I want to know your opinion on what is the most depressing movie ever.

For me, I think it is Battle Royale, from Japan. It is a more brutal version of The Hunger Games (It actually came before The Hunger Games was written). I don't think one person could walk out of this movie and say it contained a shred of happiness.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 7:55:57 PM
Bridge to Teribithia.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 7:56:59 PM
At 9/9/2012 7:53:55 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

For me, I think it is Battle Royale, from Japan. It is a more brutal version of The Hunger Games (It actually came before The Hunger Games was written). I don't think one person could walk out of this movie and say it contained a shred of happiness.

I've never seen this movie. But, most depressing movie...perhaps Requiem For A Dream.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 7:57:47 PM
I'll check that one out.

I nominate Detachment. It focuses on current social issues such as prostitution and the failures of the educational system. I've never heard of Adrien Brody (the main actor) before, but he does an amazing job. But its definently depressing, the entire movie is dark and extremely emotional, the most I've ever seen. Its good though.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 7:57:49 PM
At 9/9/2012 7:55:57 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Bridge to Teribithia.

Are... Are you serious? I mean, some people's overall viewing of movies is limited... But... I mean... You sure you don't have a collection of only 5 movies you have ever watched?
#FeeltheFreezerBern
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 7:58:43 PM
At 9/9/2012 7:56:59 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

I've never seen this movie. But, most depressing movie...perhaps Requiem For A Dream.

I saw that one, but given that most users here seem to be pro-drugs, I'm not sure how many people would have the same reaction.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:02:15 PM
At 9/9/2012 7:58:43 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 9/9/2012 7:56:59 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

I saw that one, but given that most users here seem to be pro-drugs, I'm not sure how many people would have the same reaction.

Ehh...I'm completely against drug legalization.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:02:40 PM
At 9/9/2012 8:00:43 PM, Xerge wrote:
Its kind of hard but if I had to choose one it would be Grave of the Fireflies.

I also saw this one, but didn't get the hype. Everyone and their dog says that its the saddest thing they've ever seen, but maybe it was for that exact reason that I didn't find it that depressing (too high expectations). I'll try watching it again sometime though and see if its different.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:05:54 PM
The happiest Battle Royale comes to is the dark, sadistic humor the movie sometimes has. And that doesn't happen too often in the movie. It's downright gory, but has a lot of emotion behind it.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:08:36 PM
Mystic River - 3 guys Jimmy, Sean, and Dave grow up together but later mind their own way. Some guy kills Jimmy's daughter, Dave is the prime suspect, and Sean is a cop. Jimmy at first doesn't suspect Dave and Dave's wife loves him as well but Dave confesses to her that he was at the scene of the crime but wasn't the killer. His wife doesn't believe him and tells the cops and the cops tell Jimmy, I think. Jimmy and two of his thugs corner Dave in a restaurant opposite a river and get him drunk (partially). After that, Dave tries running but they catch up to him near the river. I don't remember exactly how it played out but Jimmy (spoilers) Dave and (spoilers).

All this is played in the backdrop of how they grew up, how dave was abused as a child and how Jimmy, Dave and Sean used to play together drawing their names in wet cement but Dave couldn't finish writing it because he was kidnapped. Later, how Dave and his wife love each other but she betrays him, and how Jimmy finally kills Dave. It was a lot more emotionally depressing than I can convey in words. I also think it was touching as well. There wasn't a "hero" to root for although Sean might fit but essentially how the story played out was really captivating.
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:18:24 PM
At 9/9/2012 7:57:49 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
Bridge to Teribithia.

Are... Are you serious? I mean, some people's overall viewing of movies is limited... But... I mean... You sure you don't have a collection of only 5 movies you have ever watched?

Bridge to Teribithia was pretty depressing. I mean, how are you going to let the little girl just die like that. I was about to cry when that happened. lol
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:27:17 PM
How could I forget Antwone Fisher...that was probably the second-most depressing movie I've seen. This guy deals with everything - psysical abuse, sexual abuse, seeing friends die...its horrible. But also a good movie.

Mystic River is another one I'll have to rewatch. I technically saw it, but it was a really long time ago and I think I was too young at the time to fully understand it.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:27:55 PM
I cried when the ant died in Honey I Shrunk The Kids...
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:51:03 PM
At 9/9/2012 8:18:24 PM, Jordan56 wrote:
Bridge to Teribithia.

Bridge to Teribithia was pretty depressing. I mean, how are you going to let the little girl just die like that. I was about to cry when that happened. lol

Yeah, it was depressing- when I was 7.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 9:45:05 PM
Bridge to Teribithia.

No no no, you guys are all wrong. Bridge to Teribithia was depressing because of HOW MUCH IT SUCKED. I LAUGHED WHEN THE ROPE BROKE. I STOOD UP AND CHEERED.

Just joking about the laughing and cheering, but it really sucked and wasn't the least depressing and sad.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 9:52:12 PM
At 9/9/2012 9:45:05 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:
Bridge to Teribithia.

No no no, you guys are all wrong. Bridge to Teribithia was depressing because of HOW MUCH IT SUCKED. I LAUGHED WHEN THE ROPE BROKE. I STOOD UP AND CHEERED.

Just joking about the laughing and cheering, but it really sucked and wasn't the least depressing and sad.

Lmfao. That movie was terrible, I'll give you that.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 4:40:27 PM
Hachi.....that was just sad. :(
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 4:41:18 PM
Bridge to Teribithia.

It was a joke.

As for seriosity: Philadelphia was kind of sad.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 8:54:56 PM
A really actually heart string tugging part was when DOBBY DIED.

DID NONE OF YOU CRY WHEN DOBBY DIED??? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU HEARTLESS, SOULESS, DEMONS??!! EASILY, THE SADDEST THING IN A MOVIE EVER, I REPEAT, EVER, WAS DOBBY'S DEATH.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 9:00:03 PM
At 9/10/2012 8:54:56 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:

DID NONE OF YOU CRY WHEN DOBBY DIED??? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU HEARTLESS, SOULESS, DEMONS??!! EASILY, THE SADDEST THING IN A MOVIE EVER, I REPEAT, EVER, WAS DOBBY'S DEATH.

Well, I read the book. It was sad, but I saw it coming. Honestly, it's really kinda random what makes me cry and what makes me not....
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 9:11:14 PM
At 9/10/2012 8:54:56 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:

God has only wept twice. When Freddie Mercury died and Wilt Chamberlain died.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 9:26:48 PM
the curious case of benjamin button

It wasn't even sad,...it was just extremely morbid the entire time, probably the worst movie I've ever seen.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 10:59:07 PM
At 9/10/2012 9:26:48 PM, 000ike wrote:
the curious case of benjamin button

It wasn't even sad,...it was just extremely morbid the entire time, probably the worst movie I've ever seen.

Agreed...it sucked.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 7:55:18 PM
Rocky 5 obviously.

Rocky goes from punching the USSR to death, to becoming a mentally handicapped and pitiful. That made me sad.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 1:51:05 PM
Bridge to Teribithia.
Bambi
the notebook
beaches
old yeller