Total Posts:50|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The Best Movies of All Time

chrumbelievable
Posts: 210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 12:37:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What, in your opinion, are some of the best movies of all time?

Many critics maintain that no series will ever top "The Godfather" films. You can argue that point here: http://www.debate.org...

Unfortunately, I can't weigh in on this topic... I've never seen ANY of "The Godfather" movies. Are they worth the time?

What other movies would you want to see on a list of "best of all time"?
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 4:20:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My favourite movie of all time is 'From Dusk Till Dawn'

Couldn't even begin to say the objectively best movie though... maybe Taxi Driver?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Chicken
Posts: 1,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 9:19:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
No question, SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION!

That movie made me fall in love with Morgan Freeman's voice, and his sexiness
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Chicken
Posts: 1,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 9:21:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/22/2012 12:37:51 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:
What, in your opinion, are some of the best movies of all time?

Many critics maintain that no series will ever top "The Godfather" films. You can argue that point here: http://www.debate.org...

Unfortunately, I can't weigh in on this topic... I've never seen ANY of "The Godfather" movies. Are they worth the time?

What other movies would you want to see on a list of "best of all time"?

All 3 godfathers are worth the time (I consider them good, but not the greatest of all time, except maybe trilogy-wise) , 1 is the best, 3 is kinda depressing, 2 is in the middle. All great movies, definitely should watch before making a list.
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 1:14:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Avengers was really good, but since it's a superhero movie, no one will give a damn.

The Dark Knight Trilogy was incredible.

Inception was good, and no just because it allowed us to add a verb to confusing things.

Best of all time......I dunno. I don't whatch enough movies to care.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 1:49:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
My top ten:
Air Force One
Star Wars: A New Hope
Fahenheit 451
SW: TESB
The Taking of Pelham 123
The Mummy
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Last Ark
Scream
Lazerblast ( MST3K version of course)
Potc: tcotbp

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL???
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 7:46:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Big Lebowski
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Chicken
Posts: 1,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 9:35:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
All of you will die a miserable death, can't believe no one said Shawshank Redemption... Jebus help me (For I am an Atheist)
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 10:04:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 7:46:02 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
The Big Lebowski

That's my favorite movie of all time. But if I had to say what is actually the best movie (because I realize I'm not entirely objective) I'd have to go with a three-way tie between Pulp Fiction, Catch-22, and Rear Window.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 10:26:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 9:35:18 PM, Chicken wrote:
All of you will die a miserable death, can't believe no one said Shawshank Redemption... Jebus help me (For I am an Atheist)

I literally finished this movie 2 minutes ago.

I'd say its pretty powerful and well-acted, has a great plot twist, casting, music, and no discernible flaws. But as far as among the greatest of all time, eh.

A definite 8.5 though.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 10:36:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Personally, my favorite films are (1) Arachnophobia, (2) Star Wars III, (3) the rest of Star Wars, (4) Chronicle, (5) all of the Star Treks besides Search for Spock and Nemesis.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 10:37:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 10:36:36 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
Personally, my favorite films are (1) Arachnophobia, (2) Star Wars III, (3) the rest of Star Wars, (4) Chronicle, (5) all of the Star Treks besides the Motion Picture, Search for Spock and Nemesis.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Ultra
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 8:35:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My favorite film of all time is, without a doubt, Trainspotting.

But objectively, I like to think that the best film of all time is Rear Window.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 8:50:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 10:36:36 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
Personally, my favorite films are (1) Arachnophobia, (2) Star Wars III, (3) the rest of Star Wars, (4) Chronicle, (5) all of the Star Treks besides Search for Spock and Nemesis.

Star Wars 3, really!? One word: Plinkett.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
jimmycarry
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 11:34:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
For me the best movie of all time is Avatar By james camaron. He was such a best directors of hollywood make the awesome movies like Avatar, Titanic and others. So guy's for me the best movie of all is Avatar. Its really nice movie to watch.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 11:46:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/25/2012 11:34:08 PM, jimmycarry wrote:
For me the best movie of all time is Avatar By james camaron. He was such a best directors of hollywood make the awesome movies like Avatar, Titanic and others. So guy's for me the best movie of all is Avatar. Its really nice movie to watch.

It was good, but I didn't like how the story was basically ripped off from Dances With Wolves. They're basically the exact same plot.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 6:01:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/25/2012 11:46:47 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 9/25/2012 11:34:08 PM, jimmycarry wrote:
For me the best movie of all time is Avatar By james camaron. He was such a best directors of hollywood make the awesome movies like Avatar, Titanic and others. So guy's for me the best movie of all is Avatar. Its really nice movie to watch.

It was good, but I didn't like how the story was basically ripped off from Battle For Terra. They're basically the exact same plot.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 6:57:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 6:01:15 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 9/25/2012 11:46:47 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 9/25/2012 11:34:08 PM, jimmycarry wrote:
For me the best movie of all time is Avatar By james camaron. He was such a best directors of hollywood make the awesome movies like Avatar, Titanic and others. So guy's for me the best movie of all is Avatar. Its really nice movie to watch.

It was good, but I didn't like how the story was basically ripped off from Battle For Terra. They're basically the exact same plot.

Yeah..both sucked though...
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 8:38:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/25/2012 8:50:49 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 9/23/2012 10:36:36 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
Personally, my favorite films are (1) Arachnophobia, (2) Star Wars III, (3) the rest of Star Wars, (4) Chronicle, (5) all of the Star Treks besides Search for Spock and Nemesis.

Star Wars 3, really!? One word: Plinkett.

I've seen that before, and I thought it was amusing. However, nostalgia works wonders. I was quite young when I saw Episode III, and it was my first midnight premiere. Nostalgia's mainly why I love it so much.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 8:41:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 8:38:41 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 9/25/2012 8:50:49 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 9/23/2012 10:36:36 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
Personally, my favorite films are (1) Arachnophobia, (2) Star Wars III, (3) the rest of Star Wars, (4) Chronicle, (5) all of the Star Treks besides Search for Spock and Nemesis.

Star Wars 3, really!? One word: Plinkett.

I've seen that before, and I thought it was amusing. However, nostalgia works wonders. I was quite young when I saw Episode III, and it was my first midnight premiere. Nostalgia's mainly why I love it so much.

So you admit it's a bad movie?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 8:46:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/25/2012 11:46:47 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 9/25/2012 11:34:08 PM, jimmycarry wrote:
For me the best movie of all time is Avatar By james camaron. He was such a best directors of hollywood make the awesome movies like Avatar, Titanic and others. So guy's for me the best movie of all is Avatar. Its really nice movie to watch.

It was good, but I didn't like how the story was basically ripped off from Dances With Wolves. They're basically the exact same plot.

Dances With Wolves was awesome. Thought I'd throw that out there.

I don't know what the best movies are. The movies I like tend to just get meh reviews. My personal favorite is Good Will Hunting. It's cheesy and predictable and for some reason I love every second of it.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 10:11:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Films like the German Expressionist movement, Italian Neorealistic films, and so forth are among the only delegates of the multifarious traditions that have run throughout cinematic influence.

I'd like to settle with any "best movies of all time" list with them in mind first before moving to less time-bound/movement-constrained films.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 1:26:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 8:41:58 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 9/26/2012 8:38:41 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 9/25/2012 8:50:49 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 9/23/2012 10:36:36 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
Personally, my favorite films are (1) Arachnophobia, (2) Star Wars III, (3) the rest of Star Wars, (4) Chronicle, (5) all of the Star Treks besides Search for Spock and Nemesis.

Star Wars 3, really!? One word: Plinkett.

I've seen that before, and I thought it was amusing. However, nostalgia works wonders. I was quite young when I saw Episode III, and it was my first midnight premiere. Nostalgia's mainly why I love it so much.

So you admit it's a bad movie?

Definitely not. Hate on the prequels all you want, but it's still great storytelling compared to most films these days. Nostalgia is just the main reason, not necessarily the only reason.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 3:11:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 1:26:52 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 9/26/2012 8:41:58 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 9/26/2012 8:38:41 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 9/25/2012 8:50:49 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 9/23/2012 10:36:36 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
Personally, my favorite films are (1) Arachnophobia, (2) Star Wars III, (3) the rest of Star Wars, (4) Chronicle, (5) all of the Star Treks besides Search for Spock and Nemesis.

Star Wars 3, really!? One word: Plinkett.

I've seen that before, and I thought it was amusing. However, nostalgia works wonders. I was quite young when I saw Episode III, and it was my first midnight premiere. Nostalgia's mainly why I love it so much.

So you admit it's a bad movie?

Definitely not. Hate on the prequels all you want, but it's still great storytelling compared to most films these days. Nostalgia is just the main reason, not necessarily the only reason.

Nah, it was really bad. Not just by Star Wars standards, because that's kind of unfair given the quality of the early films, but just by film standards in general. Plinkett went easy on it lol.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 12:50:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 3:11:15 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 9/27/2012 1:26:52 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 9/26/2012 8:41:58 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 9/26/2012 8:38:41 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 9/25/2012 8:50:49 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 9/23/2012 10:36:36 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
Personally, my favorite films are (1) Arachnophobia, (2) Star Wars III, (3) the rest of Star Wars, (4) Chronicle, (5) all of the Star Treks besides Search for Spock and Nemesis.

Star Wars 3, really!? One word: Plinkett.

I've seen that before, and I thought it was amusing. However, nostalgia works wonders. I was quite young when I saw Episode III, and it was my first midnight premiere. Nostalgia's mainly why I love it so much.

So you admit it's a bad movie?

Definitely not. Hate on the prequels all you want, but it's still great storytelling compared to most films these days. Nostalgia is just the main reason, not necessarily the only reason.

Nah, it was really bad. Not just by Star Wars standards, because that's kind of unfair given the quality of the early films, but just by film standards in general. Plinkett went easy on it lol.

Yeah, whatever. I don't jump on the "let's hate the prequels" bandwagon because I genuinely don't hate the prequels. They're just as entertaining as the other films.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.