Total Posts:73|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

House Season 6

Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2009 5:58:35 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Anyone watching right now? :P
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2009 6:07:21 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I am. I was worried about it at first, but I've grown to like it. Seems pretty interesting so far. I like the power play between House and the head psychiatrist.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2009 6:10:28 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I like the fact that the head psychiatrist is in a power position but actually wants to help. We didn't see that with any of House's "enemies", like the rich guy or the cop :P

I don't think I want House's personality to change though...
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2009 6:14:08 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Same, House needs to stay the same. I think he will; the series writers wouldn't want to change his demeanor. It is possible we'll see House become a little less cruel, or maybe more; I personally bet on seeing House beat out the head psychiatrist (can't remember his name even though I'm watching it?) in a bid for freedom.

But, it is only half over; we've got another 50 minutes to go. This is excellent so far.
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2009 6:34:28 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'm pacific time it's only 6:34 here but i am very excited for it I've loved the show thus far.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2009 6:36:07 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Fanservice :]
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2009 6:49:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I haven't exactly been watching House episodes in any real order whatsoever. I just watch what's been replayed last. So, I have no clue about anything about Season 6. But I will say that House is awesome.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2009 7:03:49 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Well, very interesting ending. House actually got better - but, I think the issues are far from over. As the small preview at the end showed, expect some denial from Wilson and Cuttey, conflict with Foreman and etc., and I'm wondering what happened to the newer team, 13 and Taub.

I'm so excited I can barely control myself.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2009 7:36:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Damn. That was a lot of crap to happen in one night :P
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2009 10:08:48 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I wonder how they'll continue the show. Totally changing House's essence? His demeanor part of the fun! I will say, though, that it was a very good episode. At times, the episode was a little too saccharin, but I really enjoyed watching House's character arch.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
patsox834
Posts: 406
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2009 3:29:43 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
My God, House is starting to blow. The end of the last season was horrific, and this episode was just as bad. That being said, the first three seasons are fantastic. Season four was good, too, but not as good as the previous ones.
patsox834
Posts: 406
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2009 3:33:32 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/21/2009 7:03:49 PM, Volkov wrote:
Well, very interesting ending. House actually got better - but, I think the issues are far from over. As the small preview at the end showed, expect some denial from Wilson and Cuttey, conflict with Foreman and etc., and I'm wondering what happened to the newer team, 13 and Taub.

I'm so excited I can barely control myself.

13 isn't going to be prominent in this season. *Insert name of person who plays her here* has a lot of other stuff goin' on -- I'm even suspecting that she'll be killed off.

As for Taub...I don't know. I'm sure he'll be there, though. I think I read that Chase and Cameron are gonna start working for House again, though, which is awesome.

Anyway, I couldn't stand how they f-cked House up. I'm just hoping these "changes" don't stick; if they do, then the show will lose its edge.
TheSkeptic
Posts: 1,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2009 3:58:59 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
If the writers totally flip House's personality, then this show is gonna die (or at least drop a lot) for sure. These are the kind of shows that are centered on the eccentricities of the main protagonist - I mean hell, that's why the name of the show is the protagonist (other shows that come to mind are like Dexter). I'm not saying there's other important elements and characters to the show, but House is the main pillar. They better not f*ck up this season.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2009 3:07:20 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/23/2009 4:13:49 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Did you know that Hugh Laurie also does a very creditable British accent?



Well considering the fact that he was raised with one XD
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2009 3:09:24 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/22/2009 3:33:32 PM, patsox834 wrote:
Anyway, I couldn't stand how they f-cked House up. I'm just hoping these "changes" don't stick; if they do, then the show will lose its edge.

My favorite ones are the clinic duty scenes. Those will never get old. I wish there would be more of those :P
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
ToastOfDestiny
Posts: 990
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2009 4:02:59 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/24/2009 3:09:24 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 9/22/2009 3:33:32 PM, patsox834 wrote:
Anyway, I couldn't stand how they f-cked House up. I'm just hoping these "changes" don't stick; if they do, then the show will lose its edge.

My favorite ones are the clinic duty scenes. Those will never get old. I wish there would be more of those :P

The broken finger patient comes to mind XD!

It was an alright episode. FreedomMaster was without a doubt my favorite. I'm not worried about House changing at all, I'm just worried the show will get old. They can only capitalize on such a character for so long.
At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
Our demise and industrial destruction
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Only exists in your head, as already shown.

At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
reveal why you answer with a question mark
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Because it was a question.

RFDs Pl0x:
http://www.debate.org...
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 10:52:28 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/29/2009 10:42:13 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Season 6 is wonderful so far, but Season 5 had it's moment(s)...



GUH!!! :D :D :D I can't lol.

I have to say; 13's bisexuality, or whatever she actually is, has never been convincing, through both the actress' acting and the general character story. I found that it seemed a little forced, a little flaky and just a little pointless. It didn't add any special twist to the story, even when there was basically a couple episodes focused on it almost exclusively.

It seems more like a cheap ploy to boost ratings and create some mystifying aura around 13 than a serious attempt to add an interesting element to the storyline.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 11:11:09 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I somewhat agree with you. The thing is, hot and feminine lesbians exist in reality and yet they are not represented in the media (aside from The L Word... but that's another issue). Because people are ignorant and think that only what they see on TV is a good representation of reality/society, they have a hard time believing that an attractive woman could be gay. Thirteen being a lesbian may very well have been for ratings (or the story line in general); however, I appreciate the fact that people can observe this apparent phenomenon of a hot gay woman on prime time network television.

Nevertheless, I completely resent the fact that she wound up with a GUY. Eric Foreman (Omar Epps) isn't even that good looking! And he may be somewhat intelligent, but he's BORING and has no depth... lol these are things I often cite about men in general. But anyway, this is something that the media does over and over and over again and is just RETARDED and completely unbelievable.

For instance, in Chasing Amy, Ben Affleck somehow convinces a lesbian to turn straight for him. He does the same thing in Gigli. And the same thing happens countless times throughout movie and television history. This plays into the idea that girls (especially cute ones) can't be gay. No, they have to be BI. How can they possibly resist men, right?! WRONG. Thirteen's character would have been way more awesome, mysterious and interesting if she somehow resisted the temptation of men (... notice my sarcasm ...) and didn't prove to be such a flake.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 11:13:38 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Lol the guys who run the networks just can't seem to own up to the fact that to some, they're just not that interesting. And neither are there reproductive parts. Anyway, you've gotta admit, Volkov, that it was a HOT scene :) Would you rather watch THAT or her go at it like that with Dr. Foreman?! Srsly.
President of DDO
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 11:24:08 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I can't say that I agree that the fact she ended up with Foreman was detrimental, or that she couldn't resist the "temptation" of men. She was bisexual, after all - that is far more interesting, in my mind, than if she was simply lesbian.

No offense to you, of course, but when someone is confronted with conflicting desires in regards to their sexuality, it always makes for an interesting story. It would even more so with House, which shows these situations in a very interesting light. The stories of how people, straight or homosexual, rationalize their feelings makes you think a lot about, not only yourself, but the influences on those decisions - culture, peers, time, social and biological constraints (something I think affected 13's sexuality, in regards to her illness), etc.

The problem with 13's story was that the actress never seemed to translate the story into proper acting, and that the story itself was just too disjointed. As you noted, the fact that a lot of stories featuring gay women - even gay men, at times - always seem to have the women ending up with men is cliche, and I was disappointed to see that with House, which has a record for breaking cliches. It would have been more interesting of 13 ended up with no one.

I don't know - I just didn't think the storyline fit, or made any impact whatsoever. It was a very pointless addition. It was convenient for the writers to make a point and boost ratings. I have the same feelings for the mini-story between House and that German lady in the first episode of season 6. It was convenient. It didn't really add anything to the story.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 11:24:53 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/29/2009 11:13:38 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Lol the guys who run the networks just can't seem to own up to the fact that to some, they're just not that interesting. And neither are there reproductive parts. Anyway, you've gotta admit, Volkov, that it was a HOT scene :) Would you rather watch THAT or her go at it like that with Dr. Foreman?! Srsly.

Lol, I'll reserve my comments for private.

Though, good as the scene was, I've seen better acting. It still seems forced.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 12:14:27 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I am saving my non-Season 6 mind from spoilers, so the next person to do so will be SHOT. Survivors will be shot again. Survivor survivors will be given candy.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 12:32:07 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/29/2009 11:24:08 AM, Volkov wrote:
I can't say that I agree that the fact she ended up with Foreman was detrimental, or that she couldn't resist the "temptation" of men. She was bisexual, after all - that is far more interesting, in my mind, than if she was simply lesbian...

The problem with 13's story was that the actress never seemed to translate the story into proper acting, and that the story itself was just too disjointed. As you noted, the fact that a lot of stories featuring gay women - even gay men, at times - always seem to have the women ending up with men is cliche, and I was disappointed to see that with House, which has a record for breaking cliches. It would have been more interesting of 13 ended up with no one.

I don't know - I just didn't think the storyline fit, or made any impact whatsoever. It was a very pointless addition. It was convenient for the writers to make a point and boost ratings. I have the same feelings for the mini-story between House and that German lady in the first episode of season 6. It was convenient. It didn't really add anything to the story.

First off, I don't think bisexuals are any more interesting than heterosexuals or homosexuals. Relationships and sexuality in general is complex, and there are various pros, cons and neutral factors that can be universally or specifically attributed to each label. Second, the cliche here is that 13 ended up with a man. Why couldn't the story take an interesting turn in which she seduced Dr. Cuddy who didn't know that she would be open to exploring sexually with women (which always seems to be the case... at least in real life)? Indeed the network did the most obvious thing in pairing her with Foreman.

I disagree that her ending up with no one would be the most believable outcome; after all she is a gorgeous and intelligent individual - a doctor, no less - and people have a natural desire to cohabitate, love or at least enjoy the company of others, even if it's just physical. That said, I agree that the acting was less than stellar (though I cannot express enough praise for that particular scene lol); however, suppose you were an actor and had to express sexual and romantic feelings for another man... would it be an easy feat? Certainly not. It takes a lot of talent for a straight person to give off a genuine gay or bisexual vibe, and I think Olivia Wilde does an adequate job. Fortunately she doesn't have to pretend for very long thanks to her relationship with Foreman.

Finally I should note that storylines revolving around relationships are there specifically to engage a certain audience (most presumably, females). House is so successful because it appeals to a large group of people. A lot of intelligent people who appreciate the witty writing and interesting plots really get into the show. Of course there's another group who watches because they find the actors and/or characters attractive. This helps ratings which in turn helps the success show. By adding in a bisexual character (who OBVIOUSLY has to wind up with a man), this appeals to a gay audience and yet appeases a more conservative audience. So overall, I think House has been very successful in keeping as many people happy as possible. If it were a show that were strictly about medicine, people would watch the Discovery Channel instead. Relationships and sex give it flare.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 12:32:49 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/29/2009 12:22:11 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Panda, we're not talking about S6. We're talking about 13 being a dyke :D

Being a dyke ties in with Season 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*BOOM*

Damn you survived........candy?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 12:46:54 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Not really, Panda. Anyway, best line of last night's episode:

Thirteen (eats something House cooked) -- This may be the best thing I've ever eaten! And yes, I know what you're thinking...
President of DDO
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 12:53:49 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Shows shouldn't be about keeping people as happy as possible. I mean, art can be designed to make people feel warm and fuzzy, and that is great, but some of the best masterpieces in the world - whether painting, photography, music or cinematic - is some of the most controversial, the most passionate, the most spiteful and the most different.

Relationships and sex have important places in TV dramas like House, but 13's storyline isn't useful. It is convenient for the writers to say, "hey look at this! We've got a bisexual!" It adds nothing to the overall series except cliche controversy. What series these days does not have something with homosexuality, especially female homosexuality? It is a popular concept but it has become so cliche, so common. I would expect House to do something different with the concept, but I didn't see anything original with it. I saw no importance with the story. I saw nothing that was useful. 13 is bisexual. Big woop. Next.

And I never said that her ending up with no one would be the most believable outcome; but it would have been different, even unexpected given her circumstances. Because, as you pointed out, relationships are complex and almost always unexpected; maybe if she had seduced Cuddy, or even Cameron, it could have had an interesting twist, especially given those two relationships with House and Chase.

But that is something interesting, something that is a very weird factor that would have messed everything up for almost everyone involved - and that is good TV. Not this crap where she can't convince me of her acting (and the fact that she isn't in real life isn't an excuse for not being able to on screen) and ends up with a cliche, non-important factor in the story.
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 2:37:02 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/29/2009 12:53:49 PM, Volkov wrote:
Shows shouldn't be about keeping people as happy as possible. I mean, art can be designed to make people feel warm and fuzzy, and that is great, but some of the best masterpieces in the world - whether painting, photography, music or cinematic - is some of the most controversial, the most passionate, the most spiteful and the most different.:

TV shows have to keep as much of their audience happy as possible or they fail miserably, don't get funding for a new season (or allowance), don't get network recognition, and a list of other nuisances. I'm sorry but television shows aren't The Godfather of film making... they are there to entertain people for an hour at a time between sleep and dinner. To add, House is a television show that has quite a cut and dry formula to it (I can tell you exactly what happens before it happens with the patients- formula), so, every little bit of fluff they can add helps - and this includes stupid little scenes that mean nothing in the long run. Fox doesn't play Rembrandt.... I'm sorry, but I really haven't seen a "beautiful" tv show on Fox... (or much anywhere else for that matter - it's a tv show).

Relationships and sex have important places in TV dramas like House, but 13's storyline isn't useful. It is convenient for the writers to say, "hey look at this! We've got a bisexual!" It adds nothing to the overall series except cliche controversy. What series these days does not have something with homosexuality, especially female homosexuality? It is a popular concept but it has become so cliche, so common. I would expect House to do something different with the concept, but I didn't see anything original with it. I saw no importance with the story. I saw nothing that was useful. 13 is bisexual. Big woop. Next. :

So, Foremen is black. How cliche. I've seen black doctors before...

The point is, you have to represent your audience in your television series. That's why we have Jews, blacks, a$$holes, nice guys, and Asians galore. Your argument doesn't stand... Does Thirteen's bisexuality HAVE to be for some big, webbed, writer's cliff hanger Pulitzer prize winning episode? No, just like Foremen being black doesn't have to really be "Roots" incarnate - or Cuddy being a woman doesn't have to throw us into a Jane Austen novel. I can go on and on. There just happens to be black people, women and bisexual people in society.

And I never said that her ending up with no one would be the most believable outcome; but it would have been different, even unexpected given her circumstances. Because, as you pointed out, relationships are complex and almost always unexpected; maybe if she had seduced Cuddy, or even Cameron, it could have had an interesting twist, especially given those two relationships with House and Chase. :

Agreed - the whole Foremen thing is BORING.

But that is something interesting, something that is a very weird factor that would have messed everything up for almost everyone involved - and that is good TV. Not this crap where she can't convince me of her acting (and the fact that she isn't in real life isn't an excuse for not being able to on screen) and ends up with a cliche, non-important factor in the story.:

Olivia Wilde's not the best of actresses, but that doesn't mean her character is useless. If they had a better actress, sure, it'd be believable - and I'm sure you wouldn't mind her bisexuality being uneventful, like Foreman's skin color or Cuddy's gender etc. These things are NORMAL in every day society - so why do they have to be eventful in a television series? I think what the show really does is put a lot of emphasis on House's a$$holeness and not enough life into the other characters. Dr. House's character is very well acted - but it looks like everyone is shadowed underneath him.

I think we're just trying to make House seem like more of a masterpiece then it really is... It's just a formula based television series that tries to add flavor every once in a while - it's not really that innovative - I've seen this in shows well before House. House is just attractive because it's intelligent and witty - keeping us glued there because there's nothing better on television.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.