Jump to topic:

Dragonball vs. Dragonball Z

Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 1:05:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This summer I decide to watch the whole series of Dragonball for the first time and was amazed at how great the show was. When that was finished I went to begin watching Dragonball Z, which was a terrible turn for the worse in my opinion.

Here is why:

-The original feel of Dragonball was lost. Dragonball Z felt more like a kids show, while I felt okay watching Dragonball

-The music in Dragonball Z was annoying. Also in the first few episodes of Z, the music played non-stop, not a single spot was there no music, and I was going crazy listening to it.

-The sketching style was awful.

-While Goku as a kid was strong and independent, Gohan was just annoying. All kids in Z were simple annoying brats. In fact everyone in Z had this annoying attitude and seemed like the just all lost a chunk of intelligence.

-Z used a bunch of stupid references to real-life events which made the story lose its trueness and made it seem more like a comedy.

-I don't know if I was missing something here, by why is it that all of sudden everyone is flying around like angels. In the first Dragonball, Goku was able to jump high and stay in the air long because of his hard-core training. He didn't have the ability to fly. Then suddenly in Z, everyone is flying.

There is more, but these are a few points that bothered me.

What do you think. Do you agree or disagree.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 11:31:29 PM
In draganball, chiaotzu had levitation ability. Then I suppose everyone learned levitation from him, and then from there one can go to flight.

Dragonball Z started to lack less of a plot as the saga continued.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 1:43:32 PM
You've got to be kidding..

Dragonball was awesome, but Dragonball Z was just as awesome, if not better..

I think someone being a little to critical.

If anything, Dragonball GT is the shame of the family.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 5:49:21 PM
Maybe you'll like the re-release of Dragonball Z better - Dragonball Z Kai.

It's a high definition re-release of DBZ, with enhanced animation, re-done character palettes, new voice acting, and certain "filler" cut from the series.

However, if you don't like the storyline in DBZ, then it might not be for you (but you'd also be crazy). Granted, DBZ is lacking the hilarious naivete of the young Goku. However, DBZ maintains Goku's indomitable optimism. It also maintains what Dragonball was all about: a quest for ever-expanding power to defeat evil. Whether Goku is fighting his brother, Vegeta, Freeza, Cell, or Buu, you'll always see him struggling and finding new ways to gain the upper hand. Personally, I've never watched the entire Freeza saga. I think the series definitely gets better as it goes. The Buu saga is definitely my favorite.

Gohan is definitely annoying in the Freeza saga. He gets better in the Cell saga...

And they explain how the characters use their Chi to fly when Gohan teaches Videl to fly at the beginning of the Buu saga. The flying makes the fight scenes and the moves they can do infinitely better. It was lame that young Goku needed a tiny little cloud in order to do anything (the cloud was funny, but it was stupid that he kept falling off it at key times - it definitely limited what he could do).
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 5:55:20 PM
At 10/5/2012 1:05:26 PM, Jordan56 wrote:
This summer I decide to watch the whole series of Dragonball for the first time and was amazed at how great the show was. When that was finished I went to begin watching Dragonball Z, which was a terrible turn for the worse in my opinion.

Agreed completely.

Never was into either until I watched a couple episodes of Dragonball in HS.

Dragonball is awesome :)

It seemed like with Dragonball Z they were trying to ruin it as much as they could.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 9:50:20 PM
At 10/6/2012 5:49:21 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Maybe you'll like the re-release of Dragonball Z better - Dragonball Z Kai.

It's a high definition re-release of DBZ, with enhanced animation, re-done character palettes, new voice acting, and certain "filler" cut from the series.

However, if you don't like the storyline in DBZ, then it might not be for you (but you'd also be crazy). Granted, DBZ is lacking the hilarious naivete of the young Goku. However, DBZ maintains Goku's indomitable optimism. It also maintains what Dragonball was all about: a quest for ever-expanding power to defeat evil. Whether Goku is fighting his brother, Vegeta, Freeza, Cell, or Buu, you'll always see him struggling and finding new ways to gain the upper hand. Personally, I've never watched the entire Freeza saga. I think the series definitely gets better as it goes. The Buu saga is definitely my favorite.

Gohan is definitely annoying in the Freeza saga. He gets better in the Cell saga...

And they explain how the characters use their Chi to fly when Gohan teaches Videl to fly at the beginning of the Buu saga. The flying makes the fight scenes and the moves they can do infinitely better. It was lame that young Goku needed a tiny little cloud in order to do anything (the cloud was funny, but it was stupid that he kept falling off it at key times - it definitely limited what he could do).

Well you said it gets better, I guess I have to watch it to find out. I only made it though 3 quarters of the first Freiza saga and was too bored to watch the rest. Maybe I should skip to the next saga and read what happens. But from what I saw it wasn't doing the original Dragonball any justice.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 10:30:54 PM
I found the Frieza saga boring as well. Gohan is super annoying, there's tons of stupid scenes in the spaceship, there are far too many henchmen fights before the main Frieza battles, and then like 1000 different stages of Frieza that Goku has to beat, etc.

I'd say skip to the last 3-5 episodes of the Frieza saga, then continue with the Cell saga. That saga gets good pretty quickly.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 10:33:27 PM
best scene from dragonball
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 3:45:06 PM
Epic DBZ scene:
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.