Jump to topic:

Cobb's totem in Inception

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 11:25:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Can someone explain how it's at all reliable? I know there have been theories that Ariadne or Mal (assuming she was right that it was all just a dream) could have exploited his totem since they knew how it worked but it's more fundamental than that.

The way totems worked was by being special in real life. Arthur's dice are loaded so in the real world it always lands the same. Likewise Ariadne's bishop always falls the same way in real life. The reason totems have to be unique in real life is because (assuming how they work is still a secret) if one is put in someone's dream, that dreamer won't know how the totem works, thus defaulting to it's normal use. If Arthur is in someone's dream, his dice will act normally, alerting him to the fact that he's in a dream. This idiosyncrasy is the key to detecting what's real and what's not real.

But Cobb's works in the wrong way. In real life it's just a normal spinning top. So assuming Cobb is in someone's dream, his top won't be able to tell him anything since it would act like a normal top regardless (acting like a normal top being the way he supposedly knows he's in a dream).

First, is there any way to explain how it's actually useful and two, does this lend credence to the "it was all a dream" theory (which I think is the right interpretation)?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 11:39:28 AM
At 11/13/2012 11:25:32 AM, socialpinko wrote:
Can someone explain how it's at all reliable? I know there have been theories that Ariadne or Mal (assuming she was right that it was all just a dream) could have exploited his totem since they knew how it worked but it's more fundamental than that.

The way totems worked was by being special in real life. Arthur's dice are loaded so in the real world it always lands the same. Likewise Ariadne's bishop always falls the same way in real life. The reason totems have to be unique in real life is because (assuming how they work is still a secret) if one is put in someone's dream, that dreamer won't know how the totem works, thus defaulting to it's normal use. If Arthur is in someone's dream, his dice will act normally, alerting him to the fact that he's in a dream. This idiosyncrasy is the key to detecting what's real and what's not real.

But Cobb's works in the wrong way. In real life it's just a normal spinning top. So assuming Cobb is in someone's dream, his top won't be able to tell him anything since it would act like a normal top regardless (acting like a normal top being the way he supposedly knows he's in a dream).

First, is there any way to explain how it's actually useful and two, does this lend credence to the "it was all a dream" theory (which I think is the right interpretation)?

You have a point from a technical standpoint. Another similar hole is in the way the "kicker" was supposed to work. When the introduce the kicker, you are "kicked" at one level up from the dream and that wakes you up from the dream one level below where you are at. However, when they are instigating their plan, the are kicking people at the same level that they are trying to wake them from. They also don't explain why it is necessary to kick people sequentially, rather than just kick them from the real world.

In any even, the point of the totem was to demonstrate Cobb's obsession. It's only real purpose in the movie was, at the end, to show that he had "let go" of his obsession. Contrary to what fans may have believed, it wasn't ever meant to be a "oohh... are we still in the dream?" According to Cameron, it was to demonstrate the Cobb no longer needed the totem, he had made peace.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 11:40:04 AM
Yeah, I never got why the top was so special. I get the rest of their totems, but did the top fall at a certain time, or did it not fall, and why did the dream automatically make it not fall?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 11:40:25 AM
Okay, I think you have the way Cobb's top works backwards. Whenever he's in a dream it spins and never falls (he explains this when he's talking to Ariadne about it). In real life, it spins and eventually stops like a normal top.

Also, now that I think about it, assuming that Kyoto was the reality, that the "it was all a dream" theory is bunk, as the top fell, indicating that Cobb wasn't in a dream. Of course he could've gone under another layer somewhere else, but I can't think of a place where that would happen.

What's the arguments for it was all a dream?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 11:45:01 AM
At 11/13/2012 11:39:28 AM, drafterman
In any even, the point of the totem was to demonstrate Cobb's obsession. It's only real purpose in the movie was, at the end, to show that he had "let go" of his obsession. Contrary to what fans may have believed, it wasn't ever meant to be a "oohh... are we still in the dream?" According to Cameron, it was to demonstrate the Cobb no longer needed the totem, he had made peace.

Now that's an interesting thought. It makes sense when you put the obsession theory with some of the scenes when they were getting the chemist (when Cobb flipped out and was spinning the top in the bathroom).
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 11:50:32 AM
At 11/13/2012 11:40:25 AM, Zaradi wrote:
Okay, I think you have the way Cobb's top works backwards. Whenever he's in a dream it spins and never falls (he explains this when he's talking to Ariadne about it). In real life, it spins and eventually stops like a normal top.

Also, now that I think about it, assuming that Kyoto was the reality, that the "it was all a dream" theory is bunk, as the top fell, indicating that Cobb wasn't in a dream. Of course he could've gone under another layer somewhere else, but I can't think of a place where that would happen.

At the end, when hes gonna see his kids, he spins the top. The issue is, in the last frame, the top MIGHT be falling, but is it? We don't know. So thats the issue.

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 11:56:31 AM
At 11/13/2012 11:50:32 AM, OberHerr wrote:

At the end, when hes gonna see his kids, he spins the top. The issue is, in the last frame, the top MIGHT be falling, but is it? We don't know. So thats the issue.

That doesn't seem like an argument. It seems more like the original question.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 11:59:27 AM

I'll divide it into little clues and actual arguments.

Little clues:

-Throughout the film things play pretty much the same way in "reality" as they do in dreams. People just come out of nowhere inexplicably like the agents trying to get Cobb or Saito just randomly pulling up in his car (being extremely unlikely).

-In the scene where Cobb is first meeting Eames he just seems to magically pull out two stacks of chips at the cash-in window when it was confirmed in the previous scene that he had just lost all of his chips. This would be explained by a dream since Eaes is a forger.

-When Cobb supposedly finally reunited with his kids they've barely changed. While we know they're difference actors, they're wearing basically the same clothes and are almost indistinguishable from their past selves.

Actual arguments.

-We never have any way of actually confirming when reality comes into play. As shown above, Cobb's only confirmation is useless. Furthermore in the beginning when we move from Saito's secret apartment to the Kyoto train there's no difference in transition than there was when moving from Saito's mansion to his apartment. We as the audience have no totem, thus establishing a groundwork for skepticism.

-In dreams, the dreamers subconsciously import phrases they've heard others say. For instance, Fisher projects the numbers 589491 into various places (the fake number Eames gave him, the hotel room doors, the safe combination). Likewise, for Cobb we see various phrases and ideas popping in and out. Both Saito and Mal ask him to take a "leap of faith", when he sees his kid they tell him they're building a mansion on a cliff (reference to Saito's mansion in limbo).

=====
Of course assuming the movie at least started in reality there's still a strong argument to be made for the ending still being part of another dream.
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 12:02:34 PM

Not really. The top isn't reliable AT ALL. Both Mal and Ariadne know how it works. So he could be in Ariadne's dream or Mal could have been right all along and he could be in her dream. Furthermore we already know the top doesn't work as a totem since if he's in someone's dream it will just work as a normal top (the supposed confirmation). Totem's are supposed to be unique in the real world, not dreams.

The top is a red herring. You should be instead listening to what his kids are saying "We're building a house on a cliff" (or mansion, can't remember) is a subconscious call back to Saito's house in limbo. We see the same subconscious callbacks during dreams such as the series of numbers Fisher continuously projects into various places.
:
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 12:50:08 PM
At 11/13/2012 11:59:27 AM, socialpinko wrote:

Little clues:

-Throughout the film things play pretty much the same way in "reality" as they do in dreams. People just come out of nowhere inexplicably like the agents trying to get Cobb or Saito just randomly pulling up in his car (being extremely unlikely).

-In the scene where Cobb is first meeting Eames he just seems to magically pull out two stacks of chips at the cash-in window when it was confirmed in the previous scene that he had just lost all of his chips. This would be explained by a dream since Eaes is a forger.

-When Cobb supposedly finally reunited with his kids they've barely changed. While we know they're difference actors, they're wearing basically the same clothes and are almost indistinguishable from their past selves.

Actual arguments.

-We never have any way of actually confirming when reality comes into play. As shown above, Cobb's only confirmation is useless. Furthermore in the beginning when we move from Saito's secret apartment to the Kyoto train there's no difference in transition than there was when moving from Saito's mansion to his apartment. We as the audience have no totem, thus establishing a groundwork for skepticism.

-In dreams, the dreamers subconsciously import phrases they've heard others say. For instance, Fisher projects the numbers 589491 into various places (the fake number Eames gave him, the hotel room doors, the safe combination). Likewise, for Cobb we see various phrases and ideas popping in and out. Both Saito and Mal ask him to take a "leap of faith", when he sees his kid they tell him they're building a mansion on a cliff (reference to Saito's mansion in limbo).

=====
Of course assuming the movie at least started in reality there's still a strong argument to be made for the ending still being part of another dream.

I'll debate this. I just need to watch it again; haven't seen it since it came out.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 12:54:51 PM
At 11/13/2012 12:50:08 PM, Maikuru wrote:

I'll debate this. I just need to watch it again; haven't seen it since it came out.

#oh_shit_it's_on_now_motherfucker
:
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 1:52:46 PM

That's social's point. The way the totems are supposed to work is that they normally behave in an abnormal way. This is so an outsider cannot reliably duplicate the behavior of the totem when putting them into a dream. This is why you're not supposed to tell other people how they work in the real-world.

So, if you are in a dream, and your totem is a creation of that artificial reality, then it will behave as you would expect it to normally, alerting you that you are in a dream because it is supposed to behave abnormally.

The problem is, Cobb's totem's in-dream behavior is the abnormal behavior and its real-world behavior is the normal behavior. If someone else recreates Cobb's totem, they're going to give him a totem that behaves normally, which should leave him to believe he is in the real world. Why would someone give Cobb a totem that spins forever?

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 2:40:17 PM

The point is though, he spun it but then walked away.

Dream or not, Cobb no longer cared. He had made peace with his demons and his past and was ready to move on. It wasn't so much about whether it was going to fall or not that it was he walked away and never bothered to check.
TheRainKing
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 3:06:16 PM
I believe that Cobb's totem was actually his wedding ring. After Mal's death, in all the "reality" scenes, Cobb is not wearing his wedding ring. In all the dream sequences, he is.

Cobb adopted Mal's totem, so it's not really his. On the other hand, Mal is so important to his subconscious that his dream avatar will always wear the wedding ring. This is the trick; in the waking world, he would never wear it, but in the dream world he must because his subconscious can't imagine a representation of himself without it.
"And like the seasons you are also, and though in your winter you deny your spring: yet spring, reposing within you, smiles in her drowsiness and is not offended." - Khalil Gibran
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 3:15:33 PM
At 11/13/2012 3:06:16 PM, TheRainKing wrote:
I believe that Cobb's totem was actually his wedding ring. After Mal's death, in all the "reality" scenes, Cobb is not wearing his wedding ring. In all the dream sequences, he is.

Cobb adopted Mal's totem, so it's not really his. On the other hand, Mal is so important to his subconscious that his dream avatar will always wear the wedding ring. This is the trick; in the waking world, he would never wear it, but in the dream world he must because his subconscious can't imagine a representation of himself without it.

Interesting theory... I'll have to rewatch the movie for this.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 4:05:46 PM

Little clues:

The movie gives a justification for both, since Cobb is being hunted down by the people he used to work for that he failed, and Saito was following him to make sure that his "investment" didn't end up dead.

Eames still had chips whenever he went with Cobb. This was confirmed by Cobb taking a few of Eames chips and remarking at the terrible craftsmanship of them. They left immediately after that.

Moreover, Eames made his living in reality off of forgery. It wasn't a dream-world exclusive ability.

The actual timeline of the movie couldn't have taken more than a few weeks. We don't have any accurate portrayal of what the kids looked like other than the actors themselves from when Cobb left the country (which would've been a while). If you were able to actually prove this, I'd say it'd be a compelling argument. But as it is now, I don't see how it can be proven within the contexts of the movie.

Actual arguments.

Isn't this just the base question though? I mean, if we're debating whether or not it was really a dream, isn't saying that we don't know the entire purpose of the question?

Didn't Saito know about Cobb's background? It could've either been a shot in the dark or the directors going for some irony. I don't see how this proves anything.

=====
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 4:11:59 PM
Cobb's totem was his wedding ring.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 4:12:56 PM
At 11/13/2012 3:06:16 PM, TheRainKing wrote:

Yeah, this.

Muh threads
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 4:20:44 PM
God, I hate my sister right now. This thread has me wanting to watch it again and my sister stole my copy when she moved off to college.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 4:29:03 PM
Guys, I was just pointing out the basic reasoning for the whole "he's still in a dream thing" I don't really buy it.

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 5:27:39 PM
At 11/13/2012 4:05:46 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Little clues:

The movie gives a justification for both, since Cobb is being hunted down by the people he used to work for that he failed, and Saito was following him to make sure that his "investment" didn't end up dead.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have been there at all, but that the times that they came out were seemingly inexplicable. For instance, Cobb runs around the city only to come out of some random alley where Saito just happened to be. That agents were looking for him or that Saito was keeping an eye on him is not the inexplicable part I'm bringing up. It's the fact that that kind of thing doesn't just happen i.e., even if Saito were watching him there's no way he could jump in his car when Cobb starts the chase and just hope to pull up just where it ends.

Eames still had chips whenever he went with Cobb. This was confirmed by Cobb taking a few of Eames chips and remarking at the terrible craftsmanship of them. They left immediately after that.

Moreover, Eames made his living in reality off of forgery. It wasn't a dream-world exclusive ability.

You see him lose his last two chips in the seen prior to him turning in his chips. Obviously it's possible he just had them laying around in his pocket the entire time but the scene draws attention to him being out of chips, Eames telling Cobb he'll have to buy the round and all that.

The actual timeline of the movie couldn't have taken more than a few weeks. We don't have any accurate portrayal of what the kids looked like other than the actors themselves from when Cobb left the country (which would've been a while). If you were able to actually prove this, I'd say it'd be a compelling argument. But as it is now, I don't see how it can be proven within the contexts of the movie.

Actual arguments.

Isn't this just the base question though? I mean, if we're debating whether or not it was really a dream, isn't saying that we don't know the entire purpose of the question?

It's setting up a groundwork. We see in movies there's usually some sort of tone shift or at least some confirmation when someone wakes up from a dream that they've actually woken up. You notice how in Tv shows when someone thinks they've woken up only to realize they're just in another dream you can always tell?

Didn't Saito know about Cobb's background? It could've either been a shot in the dark or the directors going for some irony. I don't see how this proves anything.

How would Saito researching Cobb's background make him pull out the "leap of faith" comment? Did he just happen to overhear Mal saying it while they were still in limbo? Furthermore how can you not see that it actually does prove something. It's a hint and a good one at that. The entire concept of inception/extraction has to do with the subconscious and what it does in the dream world, that is, filling it. You don't think it's just a bit interesting that his kids make a reference to Saito's limbo that basically no one ever notices because they're too busy focusing on the spinning top on the table?
:
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 8:29:55 PM
At 11/13/2012 12:54:51 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 11/13/2012 12:50:08 PM, Maikuru wrote:

#oh_shit_it's_on_now_motherfucker
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 8:23:34 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/26/2013 1:41:05 AM, FREEDO wrote:
GUYS, I KNOW THE SECRET!!!!!

nac

I saw yer FB post calm down. I might believe it but I'd have to see every scene where they're allegedly not dreaming to confirm. If you could post screenshots of each scene and show specifically that he's not wearing the ring then that would def be some hard evidence in your favor.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 9:04:37 AM
Gawd I kind of want to debate this now. Maikuru, Zaradi where you at?
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 4:57:40 PM
Just realized that guy went through the trouble of taking stills throughout the entire movie and then forgot to take any for the last scene. Come on.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 5:58:42 PM
At 2/26/2013 9:04:37 AM, Noumena wrote:

Resolution?

Also, FREEDO: I (and some other guy) posted your 'secret' three months ago when this thread was started. :P

Muh threads
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 6:02:01 PM
At 2/26/2013 5:58:42 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Resolution?

Also, FREEDO: I (and some other guy) posted your 'secret' three months ago when this thread was started. :P

Sssshhh. Don't ruin the moment.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 6:36:27 PM
At 2/26/2013 5:58:42 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Resolution?

I'm thinking something like "It's more likely that Cobb was dreaming at the end of Inception rather than [X theory]".