Jump to topic:

Help Please................

emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 9:23:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I need to catergorize as many facts as I can about Boo Radley from To Kill A Mockingbird......... Help me........ Quick I have until 10:00.......
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 9:26:29 PM
At 11/14/2012 9:25:16 PM, drafterman wrote:
https://www.google.com...

I tried that but I need to gather direct quotes from the story...... And I'm on my school laptop, there's a filter......... Grrr
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 9:41:56 PM
That horrid book? From what I can remember, he stabbed his dad or something.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:03:35 PM
At 11/14/2012 9:23:52 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
I need to catergorize as many facts as I can about Boo Radley from To Kill A Mockingbird......... Help me........ Quick I have until 10:00.......

Boo Radley and Tom Robinson share many similarities in spite of fact that one man is white and the other black. By juxtaposing these two characters, Lee proves that justice and compassion reach beyond the boundary of color and human prejudices. The novel's title is a metaphor for both men, each of whom is a mockingbird. In this case however, one mockingbird is shot, the other is forced to kill.

Boo and Tom are handicapped men. Lee hints that he may be physically unhealthy, and she makes statements that lead the reader to believe he may be mentally unstable. However, no character sheds any light on his actual condition, leaving the reader wondering whether Boo's family protects him or further handicaps him. Tom is physically handicapped, like a bird with a broken wing, but his race is probably a bigger "disability" in the Maycomb community. As a result of these handicaps, both men's lives are cut short. Whatever Boo's problems may be, the reader knows that something happened to Boo that has caused him to become a recluse. For all practical purposes, Tom's life ends when a white woman decides to accuse him of rape.

Boo sees Scout and Jem as his children, which is why he parts with things that are precious to him, why he mends Jem's pants and covers Scout with a blanket, and why he ultimately kills for them: "Boo's children needed him." Apparently his family disapproves of his affection for the children or Mr. Radley wouldn't have cemented the knothole. But Boo is undeterred and loves them, even with the probable knowledge that he is the object of their cruel, childish games. Tom also recognizes Mayella as a person in need. On the witness stand, he testifies that he gladly helped her because "'Mr. Ewell didn't seem to help her none, and neither did the chillun.'" Tom helps Mayella at great personal expense.

Both men know their town very well. Unbeknownst to the Finch children, Boo has watched them grow up. The reader can fairly assume that Boo is also familiar with the Ewells, and probably doesn't think much more of them than the rest of Maycomb. Boo and Tom have had minor skirmishes with the law, but that past doesn't tarnish the kindness they show to others in the story. The moment that Mayella makes a pass at Tom, he inherently knows that he's in serious danger. Truthfully, he probably knew that helping her without pay was not the safest thing for him to do, but the compassion of one human being for another won out over societal expectations.

The children treat Boo with as much prejudice as the town shows Tom Robinson. They assign characteristics to Boo without validation; they want to see Boo, not as their neighbor, but as a carnival-freak-show-type curiosity. Ironically, watching the injustice that Tom suffers helps the children understand why Boo may choose to be a recluse: "'it's because he wants to stay inside.'"
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:04:49 PM
Boo the Fantasy

While Boo can be a figure of fear, there"s also a strange longing for connection in the kids" obsession with him. Their acting out of the life and times of Boo Radley could, after all, be seen as a way to try to understand him by trying on his skin, as Atticus always says. And at least some of their attempts to see him they explain as concern for his well-being.

Dill said, "We're askin' him real politely to come out sometimes, and tell us what he does in there " we said we wouldn't hurt him and we'd buy him an ice cream."

"You all've gone crazy, he'll kill us!"

Dill said, "It's my idea. I figure if he'd come out and sit a spell with us he might feel better."

"How do you know he don't feel good?"

"Well how'd you feel if you'd been shut up for a hundred years with nothin' but cats to eat?" (5.72-76)

The last line suggests that Dill at least feels some sympathy for Boo, and can imagine, or thinks he can imagine what he feels " and what he needs. Why are they so bent on making him come out? Perhaps Boo becomes such a figure of fascination for the kids because he makes them ask the question: can you still be human without being part of a community? Meeting Boo might answer this question, and also fill in the gaping hole that the Radley Place forms in Maycomb"s social world.

Boo the Reality

After the Tom Robinson trial, Jem and Scout start to have a different understanding of Boo Radley.

"Scout, I think I'm beginning to understand something. I think I'm beginning to understand why Boo Radley's stayed shut up in the house all this time... it's because he wants to stay inside." (23.117)

Having seen a sample of the horrible things their fellow townspeople can do, choosing to stay out of the mess of humanity doesn"t seem like such a strange choice.

When Boo finally does come out, he has a good reason: Bob Ewell is trying to murder the Finch kids. No one sees what happens in the scuffle, but at the end of it, Ewell is dead and Boo is carrying an unconscious Jem to the Finch house. Finally faced with Boo, Scout doesn"t even recognize him: after all, she"s never seen him before, except in her dreams.

While Tate insists that Ewell fell on his own knife, he also indirectly implies that Boo stabbed the man on purpose to defend the children. Since no one saw it (except, presumably, Boo), there"s no way to know for certain. Rather than drag Boo into court, Tate decides to "let the dead bury their dead" (30.60). However, Tate seems less concerned about the negative consequences for Boo than the positive ones.

"Know what'd happen then? All the ladies in Maycomb includin' my wife'd be knocking on his door bringing angel food cakes. To my way of thinkin', Mr. Finch, taking the one man who's done you and this town a great service an' draggin' him with his shy ways into the limelight " to me, that's a sin. It's a sin and I'm not about to have it on my head. If it was any other man, it'd be different. But not this man, Mr. Finch." (30.62)

Oh no, angel food cakes! Spare him the horror! But for Boo, being the center of attention, even good attention, would be horrible. Even Scout, who"s known the real Boo for less than an hour, gets it: "Well, it'd be sort of like shootin' a mockingbird, wouldn't it?" (30.68). Boo causes even the total-equality-under-the-law Atticus to think that sometimes a little inequality is what"s really fair.

When Scout walks Boo home, she"s entering into territory she"s seen all her life but never before set foot on. Turning to leave, she sees her familiar neighborhood from a new perspective " Boo"s perspective.

To the left of the brown door was a long shuttered window. I walked to it, stood in front of it, and turned around. In daylight, I thought, you could see to the postoffice corner. ["]

Fall, and his children trotted to and fro around the corner, the day's woes and triumphs on their faces. They stopped at an oak tree, delighted, puzzled, apprehensive.

Winter, and his children shivered at the front gate, silhouetted against a blazing house. ["]

Summer, and he watched his children's heart break. Autumn again, and Boo's children needed him.

Atticus was right. One time he said you never really know a man until you stand in his shoes and walk around in them. Just standing on the Radley porch was enough. (31.25-31)

Boo transforms from an evil spirit into a guardian angel just through a shift in perspective. And, while meeting Boo in person is part of what spurs this change, what really cements it for Scout is an act of imagination, as she visualizes what the events of the last few years might have looked like to Boo. This turn of events suggests that in order to understand and sympathize with others, all you need is imagination. Perhaps that"s one reason why children are held up throughout the novel as being less subject to the prejudices of their elders " they make better use of their imaginations. Imagining Boo as a monster had little in common with reality, but it did get the kids in the habit of trying to figure out how Boo sees the world.

The book ends with a sleepy Scout retelling the story Atticus has just been reading to her.

"An' they chased him 'n' never could catch him 'cause they didn't know what he looked like, an' Atticus, when they finally saw him, why he hadn't done any of those things... Atticus, he was real nice...." His hands were under my chin, pulling up the cover, tucking it around me.

"Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them." (31.55)

Scout literally "finally sees" Boo, but perhaps there"s more to "seeing" than that. The Tom Robinson case suggests that it"s all too possible for people to look at someone and still not see that he"s a human being just like them.

Boo starts out a monster and ends up a man, but he never rejoins the Maycomb community. Or perhaps, in taking an active interest in the Finch children, he already has: perhaps his character suggests that the bonds that hold a community together can be more than just social ones.

Muh threads
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:06:31 PM
Boo Radley (Arthur) is the object of fascination for Jem, Scout, and Dill. He is a recluse who has remained in the house down the street from the Finch house for years. When he was younger he got into some trouble when he became involved with a group of rowdy kids from Old Sarum. One night they resisted arrest by Maycomb County�s beadle and locked him in the courthouse outhouse. After that, Arthur�s father, Mr. Radley, took him home and he wasn�t seen again for fifteen years. But it was said that one day Boo Radley stabbed his father in the leg with a pair of scissors while cutting newspaper clippings for his scrapbook. For this he was locked in the courthouse basement for many years before he came home again. From these stories learned from gossiping neighbors, Jem, Scout, and Dill made ghost stories of Boo Radley, and the other children in town were afraid of him as well. They said that he only came out at night to eat cats and squirrels, and he was the local spook. Boo, however, begins to win Scout and Jem over by leaving gifts for them in the knothole of an oak tree until his brother, Nathan, cements the knothole. Boo even covers Scout with a blanket on a cold night she and Jem spent in front of the Radley house while Miss Maudie�s house burned down. Boo was so quiet that Scout never even realized he�d covered her shoulders with the blanket until after the fact. After all the children�s attempts to drag Boo Radley from his house, he ends up saving them from Bob Ewell.

Muh threads
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:07:33 PM
Along with the first chapter which has a lot of information about what the children initially thought about him, there are these two

""If there's just one kind of folks, why can't they get along with each other? If they're all alike, why do they go out of their way to despise each other? Scout, I think I'm beginning to understand something. I think I'm beginning to understand why Boo Radley's stayed shut up in the house all this time"it's because he wants to stay inside.""Jem (240)

"Neighbors bring food with death and flowers with sickness and little things in between. Boo was our neighbor. He gave us two soap dolls, a broken watch and chain, a pair of good-luck pennies, and our lives. But neighbors give in return. We never put back into the tree what we took out of it: we had given him nothing, and it made me sad.""Scout (293)

Muh threads
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:09:52 PM
So Boo wasn't a psychopath? Interesting...
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:10:25 PM
At 11/14/2012 10:07:33 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Along with the first chapter which has a lot of information about what the children initially thought about him, there are these two

""If there's just one kind of folks, why can't they get along with each other? If they're all alike, why do they go out of their way to despise each other? Scout, I think I'm beginning to understand something. I think I'm beginning to understand why Boo Radley's stayed shut up in the house all this time"it's because he wants to stay inside.""Jem (240)

"Neighbors bring food with death and flowers with sickness and little things in between. Boo was our neighbor. He gave us two soap dolls, a broken watch and chain, a pair of good-luck pennies, and our lives. But neighbors give in return. We never put back into the tree what we took out of it: we had given him nothing, and it made me sad.""Scout (293)

Sorry to break it to ya but I got it.............

Dylan Dennison
Mrs. Dubitsky"s 5th hr. English I
11/14/12
To Kill A Mockingbird Project #1
Objective; Categorize facts about Boo Radley.
For this project I will categorize facts found throughout TKAM about Boo Radley into two categories; Physical and Social/Emotional.
PhysicalSocial/Emotional
He was about six feet tall.

Dined on raw squirrels and any cats he could catch.

His hands were blood-stained.

A long jagged scar ran across his face.

The teeth he had were yellow and rotten.

His eyes popped and he drooled most of the time.He bit his Mom"s finger off because he couldn"t find any squirrels or cats to eat.

He stabbed his father in the leg while cutting out articles in the newspaper.

He is very reclusive character who never comes outside.

He was in trouble with the police as a young boy and is very religious.

He leaves a spelling medal, two Indian-head pennies, bars of soap that resemble Scout and Jem, a watch, gum, and some other things in a tree hole for the children.

When Miss Maudie's house catches on fire, Scout is outside in the cold watching. Boo comes up behind her and puts a blanket on her without Scout even noticing.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:15:34 PM
At 11/14/2012 10:09:52 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Did you even read the book?
Boo saves the children's lives.

@Emo, I've provided ample information.

Muh threads
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:16:50 PM
At 11/14/2012 10:15:34 PM, tvellalott wrote:

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:27:06 PM
At 11/14/2012 10:15:34 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Boo saves the children's lives.

I read half of it.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:31:26 PM
I read half of it for English class. It was so bad though I just used spark notes for the rest and did alright.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:33:51 PM
At 11/14/2012 10:31:26 PM, phantom wrote:
I read half of it for English class. It was so bad though I just used spark notes for the rest and did alright.

This.
I just didn't even bother and I accepted an F.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:45:52 PM

It's not bad at all. It's a classic and one of the best books we HAD to read during high school.

Muh threads
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:45:58 PM
At 11/14/2012 10:33:51 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

This.
I just didn't even bother and I accepted an F.

I never would have done it if it was going to give me an F. Sparknotes were enough to get me through fine.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:52:50 PM
Any book that uses southern drawl makes me get a headache.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:53:59 PM
At 11/14/2012 10:45:52 PM, tvellalott wrote:

It's not bad at all. It's a classic and one of the best books we HAD to read during high school.

I feel sorry for you.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:58:23 PM
Dat der boo raddly's house is a bad place ya hear? I don't want y'all to play out der anymore.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush