Covert Affairs

Cometflash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 12:03:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Does anyone watch this show?

I like it a lot, and every week I watch it feels it gets better and better.

Never had such of experience with any other show.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 12:49:06 AM
At 11/19/2012 12:03:50 AM, Cometflash wrote:
Does anyone watch this show?

I like it a lot, and every week I watch it feels it gets better and better.

Never had such of experience with any other show.

It's not exactly my cup of tea, as it portrays in a falsely positive light and somewhat glamorizes an organization (the CIA) that in the real world is quite evil. But I do like Piper Perabo.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Cometflash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 2:54:09 PM
I guess it goes well with me, since I never think much of anything about the government and it politics.

If you know much about the subject, you will expect realism, and if it is not at least close to realism it can take your attention away. So I understand that.

To me, I have yet to fall victim of such unfortunate event there can happens while watching TV, while wwatching this show.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 2:16:45 AM
There are a lot of reasons I watch it:

What is great about it:

1) It is an Action Show. That is the kind of genre I like. Most of the episodes are packed with fights, chases, international disputes, covert missions - it makes for great entertainment overall.

2) The CIA dynamic is well done. It takes a cliched police dynamic (the protagonist, the partner, the boss) - a triangular relationship and gives it a novel twist I haven't seen before. It find it entertaining to watch their interactions.

3) A female lead. Piper Perabo does a great job of looking and acting the part. Action is usually a male-dominated scenario where the protagonist is usually male. Having a female protagonist gives it an unusual twist. The fact that she is attractive, likeable and someone I want to root for makes it even more compelling.

4) Uniqueness of the missions - always something new and different. Plus, the main character is shown as skilled in accomplishing most missions given to her.

Some things I don't like about it and can be improved:

1) The protagonist usually goes into missions with not a lot of direct combat. This plays into the female stereotype a bit too much. It would have been more interesting if the missions were more like those in Burn Notice (my all-time favorite show). It would be interesting to see a female Michael Westen.

2) Annie Walker's relationships with various men are boring to say the least. The gender dynamic of the show is somewhat interesting. I feel that the show is at least partially targeted at females when they show the relationships that the protagonist has with various men like the Mossad Agent and the Russian spy. It seemed geared toward getting the audience to view those men sexually or be attracted to them. Since one of my reasons for watching the show is that I am attracted to the protagonist herself, they read as unnecessary distractions. I feel the sex aspect of the show can be improved by focussing more on her.

3) The last episode I saw on Hulu where Eyal Levin (did I spell that right) rescues Annie was somewhat annoying. Going off of my previous point, I'd like to have seen Annie be the one who is doing the rescuing. I especially hate the parts where they show Annie being rescued by men - I'd much love to see it the other way around. It would be a unique gender dynamic - one that I expected to see from the show at some point. It fulfilled it on some ends but other times, it was lacking.

4) Our protagonist doesn't have gun training. She can't usually defend herself very well. It lessens the mystique and enigma behind her considerably. However, she is supposedly still in training so I guess it makes sense.