Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

New TV Shows this fall

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 1:11:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I tend to like shows that aren't extremely popular or well-known. Here are my favorite top 4. What are yours?

4) Revolution - The power goes off, no electricity. Everything that runs on electicity like cars, lights, toasters, no longer work. Humans are reduced to primitive forms of life in a post apocalyptic setting. Militias take over and stockpile weapons. The story follows Charlie whose brother is kidnapped by the militia and her uncle Miles, a former general of one of the militia as he abandons them and helps find his nephew. A couple of other random people help them along the journey. Interesting concept but I felt the show lagged a bit in the action component. Was expecting to see a lot more action considering the setting.

3) Arrow - The classic tale of a superhero with a unique twist. A wealthy businessman who was lost at sea and was missing on an island for 5 years is found and returns home. He then uses his hunting skills which he learned on the island to be a masked batman-like vigilante named "Arrow" who takes down white collar criminals and makes them pay for their crimes. Oh, and his bodyguard is involved with his vigilante endeavors and serves as a faithful sidekick. Seems like an overdone plot, but somehow this show manages to stay interesting.

2) Chicago Fire - In the same vein as medical/detective/legal dramas, this one is unique in the sense that it follows the adventures of a Fire Department. Each week, a new scenario pops up and the Truck and the Squad go to the rescue. Also have two paramedics on the sidelines for increased drama and characters. There are all the classic characters you see in a procedural show - the supervisor (the actor is the one who plays Chase in House MD), the boss (the Fire Chief), the newb (trainee) and a rival supervisor. Fun show, interesting theme. Extremely well done and captivating enough to hold my interest.

1) Last Resort - A US Navy submarine was ordered to shoot a nuclear missile onto an island near Pakistan but they refuse to do so due to the instructions not coming from the proper channel. Result: the navy sends another submarine to blow this one apart and sink it. The crew however make it to the island with the submarine intact, take control of a NATO station on the island and negotiate with the government to get their lives back (they are all declared traitors). At the same time, they need to deal with deal with constant bloody fights with the local thugs, navy SEALs they picked up at sea, and the CIA. Stars Andre Braugher as the Captain, Scott Speedman as the XO and Daisy Betts (*hot australian alert*) as a lieutanant. Status: cancelled. Yeah, the network sucks.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 1:31:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm not a big fan of the new 2012 line-up. The only shows I picked up are Go On (Friend's Matthew Perry, NBC), The Mindy Project (The Office's Mindy Kaling, Fox), and Don't Trust the B in Apt 23 (nobody from nowhere).

I think this is Matthew Perry's 3rd try for a new series since Friends. He tried going with dark comedy for a while and now is back to the zany act which works better for him. The latter two are the real surprises, though. They are both fast paced with deadpan delivery, which is my preference. Mindy's show has the better writing, which makes sense because she brought on multiple writers from The Office, but Apt 23 has better character development.

I was really excited for Last Resort and then I watched it. It's slower than molasses and it went nowhere. It's been cancelled. Arrow is surprisingly good but I liked Smallville too much to watch another show in the same style. I also stopped watching Revolution. The acting is dry and the writing is predictable. It's been renewed, which is good for NBC, because they dumped a ton on advertising.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 1:39:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've never been a fan of half-hour comedies but I like your review of Mindy project. I know I can watch it for free on hulu so I'll check it out. I've never heard of Don't Trust the B in Apt 23. Anywhere I can watch it for free?
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 1:50:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Apt 23 is on ABC but I think I've only ever seen the pilot on their website, and that was just as a preview before the show even aired. I think it's worth a watch if you like quick dialogue, large casts, and single camera comedies (not like Friends, where the actors are on a stage) with no audience of laugh track.

Be prepared about Mindy's show. It's in the same style as above and not at all like The Office. It's darker, more sexual, and she isn't trying to be a sympathetic lead, like Michael Scott or Jim. It's still hilarious, though, just in a more self-deprecating and self-aware way.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 1:58:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
That should be interesting. Thanks! I'll check them out.

Oh, and have you watched "Nashville" by the way? Another one of my favorite shows. I forgot to mentions. I knew I had five. Anyways, two singers (one old country music star and one young pop and upcoming pop music star). Two different life stories. Awesome music. Not the kind of show I generally like (I usually like action) but it is one of the few shows I love that go against genre. Parenthood is another good one although it isn't new, there was a new season this fall.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 2:08:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I saw the previews for Nashville and was going to give it a try but never caught it. I like character dramas and it's different from what's out there (Smash is similar but that feels a little young for me). I think Nashville was renewed for another season.

I have a weird relationship with Parenthood lol. I was super excited when it started because it had a strong cast and good writing team. Then it was up against some other show and I stopped, and now it's on after The Voice so I just leave the tv on and let it slip into my subconscious lol. It's the kind of show where you can just pick up wherever and get involved because the characters are fleshed out so damn well. The story lines are heavy on the dramatic but the acting is just really, really solid.

My one problem with it, and I just have to say it because I complain about it every episode, is that the characters CONSTANTLY talk over each other. Next time it's on, count how many times two people are talking at once. I know they want it to look like a real family but it drives me nuts lol.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 2:28:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Never thought I'd meet someone else who watches Parenthood. I think the people talking over each other is only a problem in Adam's family and that is mostly due to Maxx interrupting his parents and then the baby crying and everything turning into a mess. The other families are quite chill in my opinion.

I love the way the characters are fleshed out. They seem very realistic and make me want to root for them. Can't wait for the next episode tomorrow.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 2:43:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm looking forward to it too, actually. It looks heavy on Ray Romano and he is fantastic in this. I didn't expect him to do so well in drama but he is killing it. He was originally signed on for just 2 episodes but they extended it for the entire season. From the looks of it, he may become a home-wrecker.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 2:45:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ugh, I've really slacked off on the TV watching this season. I've seen a few different shows but not many episodes of them. I was pretty excited for 666 Park Avenue just because John from Lost was in it, but it turned out to be a dud and got cancelled. I watched some of Last Resort, but also got dull and too often got away from the nuclear crisis that the first episode was based on.

I saw a couple episodes of The Neighbors. I don't know if its been cancelled yet, but it probably will be. Its entertaining at times but is too "out there" for it to draw solid ratings.

Glad to hear that Arrow is good though. I was looking forward to it but haven't been around to see it when it airs. But I'll start watching it online.

Aside from that, Modern Family is great (as always) and Two and a Half men is still pretty dang funny. Ashton Kutcher does a great job. He's similar enough to Charlie Sheen to make the show not seem too different, but not so similar to make it feel like the exact same show as before.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 8:04:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/4/2012 7:41:35 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Its not a new show, but has anyone here heard of or seen Shark Tank?

Of course.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 8:08:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The only show I watch consistently is Dexter. I do watch Homeland, but usually skip a few weeks in between episodes and then catch up (I believe I'm on episode 8/10, so no spoilers, please). I don't think there's anything else on TV that I really wanna get into except The Walking Dead, because almost everyone I know is obsessed with it and usually that's a good sign. While it's hard to determine good movies based on subjective preferences of critics, for some reason it seems to be the case that raved about TV shows really ARE that good, eg. Lost, Mad Men, Dexter, The Sopranos, etc.

I realize that these are not new shows, sorry :P
President of DDO
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 9:30:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/4/2012 7:41:35 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Its not a new show, but has anyone here heard of or seen Shark Tank?

It is absolutely my favorite show. Only reason I didn't mention it in the OP is because it isn't new. But, yeah, it just keeps getting better and better. I've tried watching the international versions but they aren't as entertaining as the American one.

I especially love watching Kevin O'Leary and Robert making deals because they are usually the fairest ones. The others are all decks, but still entertaining television.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,128
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 9:49:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
YES! I actually do like Arrow and Revolution (hated the cliff hanger for Revolution though, especially since they show you clips of the next season right after it so you're just like "Well wtf is the point of that?").

Also to be pointed out I love Elementary, even though my TV has suddenly decided to stop recording it. It's a witty play on the Sherlock Holmes idea with added twists to it (namely that Sherlock is a recovering addict and that Watson is a girl...) and the man playing Sherlock who's name suddenly eludes me does a masterful job at it. The witty dialogue and brutal tone of voice and personality is just hilarious to watch. Especially when he's acting like a little kid. -lights a violin on fire until Watson puts it out-. "You were right! I felt like Jimi Hendrix for a second there!" Such good laughs.

Also, even though it really isn't new, Nikita is a show I feel also should be mentioned. It recently started it's third season, and although it's a little bit more bland and kind of just a milking of the original good idea, it's still enjoyable from a fan perspective to see whats going on. The first two seasons are killer though.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 10:37:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Have you seen Sherlock on BBC? After watching that, I couldn't settle for Elementary.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 10:42:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/4/2012 10:37:33 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Have you seen Sherlock on BBC? After watching that, I couldn't settle for Elementary.

Yeah, Elementary sucks in comparison... but I need it ;-;
signature
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:47:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/4/2012 9:30:36 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 12/4/2012 7:41:35 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Its not a new show, but has anyone here heard of or seen Shark Tank?

It is absolutely my favorite show.

Thats awesome, I've also gotten insanely addicted to it. I spend a lot of free time just looking up pitches on youtube.

Only reason I didn't mention it in the OP is because it isn't new. But, yeah, it just keeps getting better and better. I've tried watching the international versions but they aren't as entertaining as the American one.

I especially love watching Kevin O'Leary and Robert making deals because they are usually the fairest ones. The others are all decks, but still entertaining television.

Robert definently, but O'Leary? The dude is ruthless and I've seen him change the deal on multiple occasions for the worse. He also loves to ask for 40+ percent.

I like him though, and he's definently is a good partner because he comes off as the kind of guy who'll do whatever it takes to get more money.

His whole persona reminds me of someone here on DDO. I feel like if I met Drafterman irl, he would have a pretty similar personality to O'Leary.

Whats your favorite deal? Mine was the Element Bars. The product was ok, but the founder was extremely aggressive (the sharks were laughing at him half the time), but he ended up getting what is by far the best deal I've ever seen.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:48:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/4/2012 7:41:35 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Its not a new show, but has anyone here heard of or seen Shark Tank?

My parents love that show. I think my dad secretly dreams of starting a business, and he's probably trying to learn from it.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 2:04:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/5/2012 8:47:30 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 12/4/2012 9:30:36 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 12/4/2012 7:41:35 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Its not a new show, but has anyone here heard of or seen Shark Tank?

It is absolutely my favorite show.

Thats awesome, I've also gotten insanely addicted to it. I spend a lot of free time just looking up pitches on youtube.

Only reason I didn't mention it in the OP is because it isn't new. But, yeah, it just keeps getting better and better. I've tried watching the international versions but they aren't as entertaining as the American one.

I especially love watching Kevin O'Leary and Robert making deals because they are usually the fairest ones. The others are all decks, but still entertaining television.

Robert definently, but O'Leary? The dude is ruthless and I've seen him change the deal on multiple occasions for the worse. He also loves to ask for 40+ percent.

I like him though, and he's definently is a good partner because he comes off as the kind of guy who'll do whatever it takes to get more money.

His whole persona reminds me of someone here on DDO. I feel like if I met Drafterman irl, he would have a pretty similar personality to O'Leary.

Whats your favorite deal? Mine was the Element Bars. The product was ok, but the founder was extremely aggressive (the sharks were laughing at him half the time), but he ended up getting what is by far the best deal I've ever seen.

I think he is better than Mark Cuban (My offer is off the table in 24 seconds), Daymond (I want 90% of the company) and Lori Grenier (My offer is now reduced from $400,000 to $200,000 because you did a tiny little thing to piss me off and I am the QVC Queen). Kevin at least is a man of his word and honest as well: someone I wouldn't mind doing business with even if he is ruthless. Consider having Lori Grenier or Daymond as businees partners though - massive drama queens and headaches. I like Barbara too, she seems fair and usually believes in the passion of the entreprenuers as opposed to the strength of the company.

I watched the element bars episode on youtube quite a few times when Shark Tank was still in Season 1. That were some great negotiation skills. But better companies have shown up since then. My favorite now is a tie between the key that you can use from a cellphone (the guy did an incredible job of presenting himself like he is a real problem solver) and the software that college coaches can use to recruit athletes (600k is not bad at all).
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 2:06:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Favorite shows:

1) The Walking Dead
2) Falling Skies (The season finale was such a mindf*ck!!!)
3) Avatar: Legend of Korra

But if we have to pick only from new tv shows

Last Resort
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 2:09:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/5/2012 8:47:30 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 12/4/2012 9:30:36 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 12/4/2012 7:41:35 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Its not a new show, but has anyone here heard of or seen Shark Tank?

It is absolutely my favorite show.

Thats awesome, I've also gotten insanely addicted to it. I spend a lot of free time just looking up pitches on youtube.

Oh, wow. I never noticed this comment. Same here. I actually didn't catch the first season on TV so I watched them online on some japanese site.

Season 2 onwards I watched on hulu.

But I still keep going back to see youtube clips of the best pitches over and over sometimes.

Btw, have you heard of Aftershark? It gives you follow up on what happened to the deals struck in the tank.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 2:10:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Currently we are watching:

Once Upon a Time
Last Resort
Modern Family
Castle
Community
Parenthood
Parks and Recreation
Revolution
The Good Wife

Most of those are established. Nothing new has really hooked me. I've since given up Last Resort, since it was cancelled, and I really can't stand Charlie, so I've all but stopped watching Revolution. :(

I'm basically biding time for Archer, Game of Thrones, and Psych to start back on TV.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 3:31:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/5/2012 2:04:27 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

I think he is better than Mark Cuban (My offer is off the table in 24 seconds), Daymond (I want 90% of the company) and Lori Grenier (My offer is now reduced from $400,000 to $200,000 because you did a tiny little thing to piss me off and I am the QVC Queen). Kevin at least is a man of his word and honest as well: someone I wouldn't mind doing business with even if he is ruthless. Consider having Lori Grenier or Daymond as businees partners though - massive drama queens and headaches. I like Barbara too, she seems fair and usually believes in the passion of the entreprenuers as opposed to the strength of the company.

I watched the element bars episode on youtube quite a few times when Shark Tank was still in Season 1. That were some great negotiation skills. But better companies have shown up since then. My favorite now is a tie between the key that you can use from a cellphone (the guy did an incredible job of presenting himself like he is a real problem solver) and the software that college coaches can use to recruit athletes (600k is not bad at all).

I also loved those 2 deals. The college recruiting guys were rocking, they knew their stuff, and I lol'd when Daymond said "you guys are too smart for me. I'm out". The Unikey was also a pretty good product. From what I've looked up though, he didn't get the Black and Decker deal, which sucks for him. I'm not surprised though, because $200 a lock is pretty hefty.

Did you think the nasal screens guy made the right deal? I would have taken the 4 million (plus 10% royalty), but thats just me.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 7:01:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/4/2012 2:45:09 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Ugh, I've really slacked off on the TV watching this season. I've seen a few different shows but not many episodes of them. I was pretty excited for 666 Park Avenue just because John from Lost was in it, but it turned out to be a dud and got cancelled. I watched some of Last Resort, but also got dull and too often got away from the nuclear crisis that the first episode was based on.

I saw a couple episodes of The Neighbors. I don't know if its been cancelled yet, but it probably will be. Its entertaining at times but is too "out there" for it to draw solid ratings.

Glad to hear that Arrow is good though. I was looking forward to it but haven't been around to see it when it airs. But I'll start watching it online.

Aside from that, Modern Family is great (as always) and Two and a Half men is still pretty dang funny. Ashton Kutcher does a great job. He's similar enough to Charlie Sheen to make the show not seem too different, but not so similar to make it feel like the exact same show as before.

This is the 999,999th post.

http://d.pr...
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 7:02:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Lol, BV got both the 999,999th and the 1,000,001th post.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-