Jump to topic:

New Star Trek Movie

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 5:21:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Looks like ST is becoming more of just another action-sci-fi series. Anyway, the antagonist appears to be someone from the first movie, and has a starfleet insignia on his shirt. Isn't that the captain that the futuristic Romulans killed (Kirk's father's captain)?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 4:22:15 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think it's an exceptional action sci-fi series. It's not exactly what Star Trek, and especially not what Star Trek movies, have been in the past, but Abrams did a really good job with the 1st one, and this is one of the few blockbuster movies to which I'm looking forward in the recent future (if only because I can't go see Jack Reacher and look at myself in the face the next day...).

The villain's name is John Harrison, and he appears to be a similar character to what Khan was (also looks like Spock bites it at the end, like in Wrath of Khan, but that image may just be a bit of trickery...either way, I pray that there is no Search For Spock redux...)
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
Dignitas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 9:14:04 PM
Benedict Cumberbatch.

That's all.
--
Dignitas
Vote it up, please!
http://debate.org...

In the beginning, God said the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2012 10:35:30 PM
At 12/16/2012 9:14:04 PM, Dignitas wrote:
Benedict Cumberbatch.

That's all.

Who is that... Malcolm your post reflects my thoughts as well. ST's worst moments were when they use recycled scripts.

At any rate, I am optimistic about this series as well, they made the necessary changes to the storyline to keep it fresh. Hopefully this will be the beginning of a new era of innovative sci-fi excellence.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
IFLYHIGH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2012 11:22:44 PM
At 12/24/2012 10:35:30 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Benedict Cumberbatch.

That's all.

Who is that...

Only like the greatest Sherlock Holmes eva.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 11:24:35 AM
Benedict Cumberbatch.

That's all.

Who is that... Malcolm your post reflects my thoughts as well. ST's worst moments were when they use recycled scripts.

At any rate, I am optimistic about this series as well, they made the necessary changes to the storyline to keep it fresh. Hopefully this will be the beginning of a new era of innovative sci-fi excellence.

He is an excellent actor. I only started caring about this once I heard he was cast as the villain.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 1:10:17 AM
At 12/24/2012 11:22:44 PM, IFLYHIGH wrote:
Benedict Cumberbatch.

That's all.

Who is that...

Only like the greatest Sherlock Holmes eva.

I agree.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 1:13:30 AM
At 12/27/2012 11:24:35 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
Benedict Cumberbatch.

That's all.

He is an excellent actor. I only started caring about this once I heard he was cast as the villain.

He's magnificent as Holmes and certainly would be a sufficient reason to shell out a bit of money to see what will probably be an otherwise disappointing movie.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
DreamVsReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2013 6:15:18 AM
I am really looking forward to how Benedict Cumberbatch portrays this new villain. I hope he provides some good parallels with other Star Trek villains. Plus, I found it quite a coincidence that they used someone who plays Sherlock Holmes and that Star Trek is known for its references to Sherlock Holmes. I hope this is a much more intelligent and dominating villain unlike other simplistic, one-sided villains, of which I've heard.
Fix-It Felix Jr.: Let's just eat the cake.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 2:40:03 PM
At 3/15/2013 6:15:18 AM, DreamVsReality wrote:
... I hope this is a much more intelligent and dominating villain unlike other simplistic, one-sided villains, ...

Let us hope so.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 11:35:42 AM
At 1/5/2013 1:13:30 AM, charleslb wrote:
Benedict Cumberbatch.

That's all.

He's magnificent as Holmes and certainly would be a sufficient reason to shell out a bit of money to see what will probably be an otherwise disappointing movie.

Holy crap...I didn't even realize. He looks so much less...um...dead than he does on the Holmes show. Oh man...I'm even more excited than I was...awesome.

charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 5:42:51 PM
At 3/18/2013 11:35:42 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 1/5/2013 1:13:30 AM, charleslb wrote:
Benedict Cumberbatch.

That's all.

Holy crap...I didn't even realize. He looks so much less...um...dead than he does on the Holmes show. Oh man...I'm even more excited than I was...awesome.

His looks are what they are, but it's his acting that's brilliant.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 8:22:35 AM
At 3/18/2013 5:42:51 PM, charleslb wrote:

His looks are what they are, but it's his acting that's brilliant.

I was simply commenting on how different they were from one vehicle to the other. I didn't recognize him as the same person and wasn't familiar enough with his name to spot him either.

That's all.