Total Posts:26|Showing Posts:1-26
Jump to topic:

The Hobbit

phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 1:32:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Anyone else seen it? Just went to the premiere. Saw it in 3D.

I think it was very good. Definitely not as good as the Lord of the Rings, but still brilliantly done. It was lame in a few parts, like I think some of the humor they tried to put in made it seem a bit childish and unrealistic, and the added soundtrack was meh. But for the most part it was great. And Gollum was brilliantly done again. Loved that part of the movie.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
SarcasticIndeed
Posts: 2,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 1:35:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/14/2012 1:32:22 PM, phantom wrote:
Anyone else seen it? Just went to the premiere. Saw it in 3D.

I think it was very good. Definitely not as good as the Lord of the Rings, but still brilliantly done. It was lame in a few parts, like I think some of the humor they tried to put in made it seem a bit childish and unrealistic, and the added soundtrack was meh. But for the most part it was great. And Gollum was brilliantly done again. Loved that part of the movie.

Interseting. I'll make sure to see the movie these day. I heard there's mostly mixed reviews on it, though. I will most likely love it either way.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 7:48:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/14/2012 7:46:40 PM, Koopin wrote:
Awesome as kfc.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 9:59:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The Hobbit was originally intended to be a children's book, so they aren't misfiring by giving it a lighter appeal. I didn't see it as significantly better or worse than the LotR series, it seemed to be right-on in all categories across the board. I'm probably easy to please though since I've been following the series for so long.

Aside from the fact that it doesn't conclude the story (sequel, woo hoo!), I thought I noticed quite a bit more material than was in the book... although it's been over a decade since I read it so my memory is rusty. I don't remember anything about the brown wizard or the pale orc, for instance.

Overall, it is a must-see and a great addition to the series. Sure, it doesn't have the large-scale epicness that LotR had, with battles of tens of thousands of warriors at a time, but to me that's not the appeal of Tolkien's work.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 10:04:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Radaghast was in the book I'm pretty sure. I don't think the pale ork was though. They probably just needed a more climactic story line.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 2:07:39 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I loved it.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 3:08:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I only went to the IMAX showing for the 9-minute Star Trek thing.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 3:24:06 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Saw it the other day.

It was definitely more childish. But I saw nothing wrong with that.

There were a few of those moments you get in too many movies that make you say "Oh, come on. There's no way that happens." The kind where a million guns are firing at a hero and they all miss. I hate those moments.

My biggest regret is that I hadn't heard it was going to be split up into three movies. So I wasn't expecting it to end mid-story.

But I thoroughly enjoyed it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Volkskorps
Posts: 61
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 3:43:17 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Watched it in 3D and here is a summary:

-Group gets in extreme danger, escapes without casualties
-Group gets in extreme danger, escapes without casualties
-Group gets in extreme danger, escapes without casualties
-Group gets in extreme danger, escapes without casualties
-Shut up! My preeeeeciousssssss
-Group gets in extreme danger, escapes without casualties
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 2:29:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/21/2012 2:28:03 AM, Rusty wrote:
I thought the Gollum and Rhadagast scenes were the best parts.

And the scene with Gandalf, Saurumon and the telepathic chick.
SarcasticIndeed
Posts: 2,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 3:07:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/19/2012 3:43:17 AM, Volkskorps wrote:
Watched it in 3D and here is a summary:

-Group gets in extreme danger, escapes without casualties
-Group gets in extreme danger, escapes without casualties
-Group gets in extreme danger, escapes without casualties
-Group gets in extreme danger, escapes without casualties
-Shut up! My preeeeeciousssssss
-Group gets in extreme danger, escapes without casualties

^ This

The movie was good, and I enjoyed it, but there were simply too many unbelievable moments <_< And enemies seemed way too "unlethalish". Like, that leader got hit by a mace directly in the face and he ends up without any wounds 5 minutes later. So, yeah...

But it was an enjoyable movie.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Heineken
Posts: 1,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 3:23:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The movie was great. Very entertaining.
I would hope that they escape without casualty. After all, the book heavily favors "destiny" over probability. Hence the genre: "fantasy".

Incredibly well done. The characters are rich, the song and dance better reflects the books then the previous trilogy remakes and Bilbo has FAR more additude than Frodo. Bilbo is a comedic, believable and genre appropriate. Frodo was depressing, manic and slighty.....effeminate.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 3:24:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think that if they cut out some of the parts that weren't in the book that were covered in fair detail, pale Orc wasn't there, them being in the middle of the giant fight wasn't there, they probably could've fit a bit more into the movie so that they weren't milking the series too badly.

I had a bit of a problem with the faster frame rate, though, even if its only nitpicking. The way it worked out was it made every fight scene look like a jumbled mess and hard to keep track of. As a person who likes to watch fight scenes in detail, that was a bummer.

The unrealistic was to be expected. No one can really e smacked in te face by a mace, bitten by a giant-a** dog and thrown through the air, then left to bleed out for a while will live and be able to make jokes about it. And half of the situations they walked away from I just face palmed.

Did anyone else notice Bilbo's sudden spike in swordplay ability in the movie? At one part he barely is able to deal with a goblin (both rolling off a cliff is arguably a tie), then the next scene he's slashing down orca like its no biggie. Wtf?

I loved the scenes in the Shire and how seamless they appeared, even though they had to film the dwarfs and Gandalf on entirely separate sets and stitch the scenes together. I couldn't notice any difference and I only figured out they had to do that after my dad told me when the movie ended.

In the end though, the movie was kinda meh to me. Yeah sure they filmed it all great and smeagul kicked butt and all that, but they spend nearly two hours not doing a while lot. Just seemed like a bit if a let down.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
SarcasticIndeed
Posts: 2,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 3:31:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/23/2012 3:24:17 PM, Zaradi wrote:
I think that if they cut out some of the parts that weren't in the book that were covered in fair detail, pale Orc wasn't there, them being in the middle of the giant fight wasn't there, they probably could've fit a bit more into the movie so that they weren't milking the series too badly.

I had a bit of a problem with the faster frame rate, though, even if its only nitpicking. The way it worked out was it made every fight scene look like a jumbled mess and hard to keep track of. As a person who likes to watch fight scenes in detail, that was a bummer.

The unrealistic was to be expected. No one can really e smacked in te face by a mace, bitten by a giant-a** dog and thrown through the air, then left to bleed out for a while will live and be able to make jokes about it. And half of the situations they walked away from I just face palmed.

Same. I was like "Oh, that guy is dead. Finally something actually bad happens..." And then I was disappointed.

Did anyone else notice Bilbo's sudden spike in swordplay ability in the movie? At one part he barely is able to deal with a goblin (both rolling off a cliff is arguably a tie), then the next scene he's slashing down orca like its no biggie. Wtf?

Yes! One moment he doesn't know how to swing it, then he's incredibly nimble against a goblin, and after that, he doesn't know how to swing a sword towards Gollum... Yep, really realistic.

I loved the scenes in the Shire and how seamless they appeared, even though they had to film the dwarfs and Gandalf on entirely separate sets and stitch the scenes together. I couldn't notice any difference and I only figured out they had to do that after my dad told me when the movie ended.

In the end though, the movie was kinda meh to me. Yeah sure they filmed it all great and smeagul kicked butt and all that, but they spend nearly two hours not doing a while lot. Just seemed like a bit if a let down.

Same, I liked the movie, but there were some things that just bugged me, leaving me a bit less impressed.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2012 10:31:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Am I the only one who spent the entire movie thinking that Pippin from LOTR (http://www.imdb.com...) had to be the young Bilbo?

Screw you, Martin Freeman.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2012 10:49:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/24/2012 10:31:37 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Am I the only one who spent the entire movie thinking that Pippin from LOTR (http://www.imdb.com...) had to be the young Bilbo?

Screw you, Martin Freeman.

Y'know, now that I go back and think about it you have a point. Wtf?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 8:55:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It was awesome. Never seen lotr though. Probs going to rent the first one tonight though.

"I had a bit of a problem with the faster frame rate, though, even if its only nitpicking. The way it worked out was it made every fight scene look like a jumbled mess and hard to keep track of. As a person who likes to watch fight scenes in detail, that was a bummer."

Did you go to a theatre that was enabled to handle the extra frames? Most places just downscaled it back to 22 or whatever.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
SarcasticIndeed
Posts: 2,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 3:47:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/2/2013 8:55:46 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
It was awesome. Never seen lotr though. Probs going to rent the first one tonight though.

"I had a bit of a problem with the faster frame rate, though, even if its only nitpicking. The way it worked out was it made every fight scene look like a jumbled mess and hard to keep track of. As a person who likes to watch fight scenes in detail, that was a bummer."

Did you go to a theatre that was enabled to handle the extra frames? Most places just downscaled it back to 22 or whatever.

Why is a framerate of 22 pleasing in movies but almost unplayable in games?
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 6:26:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/4/2013 3:47:28 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
At 1/2/2013 8:55:46 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
It was awesome. Never seen lotr though. Probs going to rent the first one tonight though.

"I had a bit of a problem with the faster frame rate, though, even if its only nitpicking. The way it worked out was it made every fight scene look like a jumbled mess and hard to keep track of. As a person who likes to watch fight scenes in detail, that was a bummer."

Did you go to a theatre that was enabled to handle the extra frames? Most places just downscaled it back to 22 or whatever.

Why is a framerate of 22 pleasing in movies but almost unplayable in games?

Because games require input and low frames make the game unresponsive.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2013 3:55:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
QUESTION!

Are there any scenes during/after the credits? My friend wasn't feeling well so we had to leave early. I was hating it because a song started playing over the credits and I love LOTR music.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Franz_Reynard
Posts: 1,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 1:33:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It was pretty good.

Gollum was definitely the best part of the movie. In my opinion, the best portrayal of Gollum yet. Gandalf was super epic this time around, too. He really gave it to those goblins.

I didn't appreciate the fact that I waited 3 hours for an epic dragon fight that never came.

Nothing happened during/after the credits.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 9:09:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/6/2013 1:33:04 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
It was pretty good.

Gollum was definitely the best part of the movie. In my opinion, the best portrayal of Gollum yet. Gandalf was super epic this time around, too. He really gave it to those goblins.

I didn't appreciate the fact that I waited 3 hours for an epic dragon fight that never came.

Nothing happened during/after the credits.

What? They made it clear that it would be a trilogy.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Franz_Reynard
Posts: 1,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 10:04:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/7/2013 9:09:56 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 2/6/2013 1:33:04 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
It was pretty good.

Gollum was definitely the best part of the movie. In my opinion, the best portrayal of Gollum yet. Gandalf was super epic this time around, too. He really gave it to those goblins.

I didn't appreciate the fact that I waited 3 hours for an epic dragon fight that never came.

Nothing happened during/after the credits.

What? They made it clear that it would be a trilogy.

Oh, mah bad; didn't catch that memo.

Makes it even more ironical that the "worst it behind us" eh?! Bwahahahaa!!