Jump to topic:

Dat Django

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 9:50:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Just saw it, awesoooome. These are just some fleeting thoughts I had as I walked out of the theatre.

===SPOILERS===

Not too long, I can't imagine cutting out any of the scenes would have worked. Though I think Foxx riding out into the distance after he killed the Aussies would have worked just as well as an ending. All the same either one works. Btw I couldn't figure out if Tarantino was supposed to be Australian, Italian, or Irish at first. He's really not that good of an actor.

Waltz was sincere and basically played his character in Inglorious Basterds if he hadn't been a sociopath. But don't worry Leo picks up that role very well. Foxx was just a little flat but he made up for it with sheer badassery. Jackson was absolutely hysterical in his performance as dat house slave. Tarantino seems to be on a role with making movies that allow the viewer to vicariously kill asssholes.

Bottom line: Jamie Foxx officially surpasses Sam Jackson as the resident Tarantino BAMF.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 10:03:59 PM
Best quote:

"I like the way you die boy."
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 11:25:53 PM
At 12/26/2012 9:50:03 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Just saw it awesoooome. These are just some fleeting thoughts I had as I walked out of the theatre.

===SPOILERS===

Not too long, I can't imagine cutting out any of the scenes would have worked. Though I think Foxx riding out into the distance after he killed the Aussies would have worked just as well as an ending. All the same either one works. Btw I couldn't figure out if Tarantino was supposed to be Australian, Italian, or Irish at first. He's really not that good of an actor.

Waltz was sincere and basically played his character in Inglorious Basterds if he hadn't been a sociopath. But don't worry Leo picks up that role very well. Foxx was just a little flat but he made up for it with sheer badassery. Jackson was absolutely hysterical in his performance as dat house slave. Tarantino seems to be on a role with making movies that allow the viewer to vicariously kill asssholes.

Bottom line: Jamie Foxx officially surpasses Sam Jackson as the resident Tarantino BAMF.

***Spoilers**** in mine as well!!

OMG, I just got home from seeing it. LOVE IT.... It is possibly my new favorite Tarantino movie.... I can't tell if I have post-movie infatuation or if I'm really in love but either way, that movie was super awesome.

Watlz was hands down my favorite. All of his smartasss comments were just great. He was perfect. I hope he does more movies with Tarantino.

I love how Tarantino makes tension with stupid conversations (like the "if you insist" handshake convo between waltz and dicaprio) and hilarity out of morbidity- like the scene with the huge gang of masked horsemen and their crappily made masks. "My wife worked ALL day to make these masks." "Now, I'm not pointing fingers.. I'm just saying... they could have been made a little better." I was rolling.

Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarantino are the kings of dialogue...
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 12:18:30 AM
At 12/26/2012 11:25:53 PM, Oryus wrote:

OMG, I just got home from seeing it. LOVE IT.... It is possibly my new favorite Tarantino movie.... I can't tell if I have post-movie infatuation or if I'm really in love but either way, that movie was super awesome.

Watlz was hands down my favorite. All of his smartasss comments were just great. He was perfect. I hope he does more movies with Tarantino.

I agree he was by far the best character. What did you think of his role in Basterds?

I love how Tarantino makes tension with stupid conversations (like the "if you insist" handshake convo between waltz and dicaprio) and hilarity out of morbidity- like the scene with the huge gang of masked horsemen and their crappily made masks. "My wife worked ALL day to make these masks." "Now, I'm not pointing fingers.. I'm just saying... they could have been made a little better." I was rolling.

Tarantino has come a long way from the McBurgertown conversation from Pulp Fiction. It was tense sure but the handshake conversation had me on the edge to tell the truth. The Klansmen scene was a little much as far as comicality is concerned but he pulled it off for the most part I think. I love how you can have that scene and then a tense-as-shlt conversation at the dinner table on the matters of phrenology and racial brain differences in the same hour.

:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 1:09:48 AM
At 12/27/2012 12:18:30 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 12/26/2012 11:25:53 PM, Oryus wrote:

I agree he was by far the best character. What did you think of his role in Basterds?

Oh, I absolutely loathed him.. he was evil, sociopathic, sadistic, and charismatic and handsome and charming. The perfect villain. It was great. While I'm not sure that Django is my favorite Tarantino movie (mainly because Pulp fiction is just fantastic and,honestly, kill bill was great too), I definitely liked it more than Inglorious Basterds. But I mean... this is like saying I enjoy eating chocolate cake more than I enjoy eating chocolate ice cream... they're both wonderful. Anyway, I'm really glad to have been able to root for his character because he is a joy to watch.

Tarantino has come a long way from the McBurgertown conversation from Pulp Fiction. It was tense sure but the handshake conversation had me on the edge to tell the truth. The Klansmen scene was a little much as far as comicality is concerned but he pulled it off for the most part I think. I love how you can have that scene and then a tense-as-shlt conversation at the dinner table on the matters of phrenology and racial brain differences in the same hour.

Yeah, Tarantino doesn't really have these "I laughed/I cried" kind of movies. He has "I laughed/I burst a blood vessel unconsciously gripping my hand on the armrest" kind of movies. Entire movies of his seem to capture the feeling in that stereotypical movie scene where the villain gets everyone to laugh with him during a tense moment.... right before murdering somebody.

The phrenology thing was, I just read, an idea of Dicaprios and Tarantino thought it was a good idea so they put it in. Also, in that same scene where his hand gets bloody from smashing the glass on accident- he really did cut the crap out of his hand and had to get stitches. He really did wipe his real blood all over that woman's face. Nuts. Apparently he did such a good job not breaking character that Tarantino used that cut in the movie. Pretty interesting.

Also, full frontal male nudity! How about that, eh?

: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 1:46:07 AM
Can someone post a non-spoiler review lol? I'm somewhat interested and would like to hear some thoughts. How were Fox and Leo in it? I'm not really a fan of either but it still looks interesting.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 2:02:53 AM
At 12/27/2012 1:46:07 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Can someone post a non-spoiler review lol? I'm somewhat interested and would like to hear some thoughts. How were Fox and Leo in it? I'm not really a fan of either but it still looks interesting.

It was amazing. Foxx was a stone cold fox throughout. Leo was a stone cold (minus one specific scene lol) sociopath. I'm not really sure how to review it without spoilers since I'd have to take specific scenes/events into account as evidence points for my conclusions. But whatevs. If you really don't want spoilers that's fine. Suffice it to say it was easily Tarantino's best since Kill Bill Vol.I and maybe even better than that. If I'm to be ambiguous, Tarantino brought back all his gimmicks he seemed to leave behind in his past few movies.
:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 2:32:04 AM
At 12/27/2012 2:02:53 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 12/27/2012 1:46:07 AM, Maikuru wrote:

It was amazing. Foxx was a stone cold fox throughout. Leo was a stone cold (minus one specific scene lol) sociopath. I'm not really sure how to review it without spoilers since I'd have to take specific scenes/events into account as evidence points for my conclusions. But whatevs. If you really don't want spoilers that's fine. Suffice it to say it was easily Tarantino's best since Kill Bill Vol.I and maybe even better than that. If I'm to be ambiguous, Tarantino brought back all his gimmicks he seemed to leave behind in his past few movies.

I'd agree with this too. The only movie of his which I am really super hesitant to say Django was better than is Pulp Fiction... And Tarantino is probably one of my top three favorite directors.

Foxx was a bamf though slightly overshadowed at times by Waltz's animated and more charismatic character (only at times). Waltz was my favorite. They worked very well together though. Dicaprio was sick, sick, sick. It was cool to see him in an "I drink your milkshake" kind of role. He did a good job and actually helped Tarantino write a lot of it too. So that's pretty awesome.

But anyway, epic movie. Tarantino does a great job creating extremely violent, vengeful characters who are still absurdly easy to root for (comatose rape victim who had her baby stolen from her, jews in the era of Hitler, escaped American slave in the South). There were a lot of great funny moments too, great dialogue, and harsh, epic one-liners "I like the way you die, boy." The movie was also relatively light on the comical, over-the-top violence common to Tarantino movies which also worked in it's favor, I think. I highly recommend it.
:
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 3:22:47 AM
We should be movie married. Marriage with all the movies but without the drag of having to have sex.
:
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 7:01:11 AM
The patented TV review

I'm sad to say that I had to download a torrent of this movie because for some reason Australia isn't getting it in cinemas until the 24th. Dafuq?

Anyway, here is my review, SPOILERS KEPT TO A MINIMUM

First of all, Tarantino is my favourite director period. Self-importance aside (the end of IngBas 'this might just be my masterpiece'? Argh) he makes fun fvcking movies. I love all his movies, bar none. So, consider me bias.

Let's talk about what he was doing here; Tarantino doesn't make original movies. He is a cinemaphile and it shows.

Reservoir Dogs - The Cops and Robbers movie.
Kill Bill - The Revenge Movie
Death Proof - The Car Movie

And so on...

This is the western. And while it's no Unforgiven, it's certainly a great addition to the genre. From start to finish, I was enthralled. Watching it on my computer, I could see the progress bar and I just never wanted it to end. When it got to the end of act 3 (those who've seen it will know) I was like "is there enough time for this to resolve?!". Yes, yes there was.

The violence, the cinematography, the costumes, the scenery. It was a big ode to the spagetti western.

I'll look at a few of the characters...

I LOVE Foxx. That movie where Tom Cruise is a hitman and he is a taxi driver first caught my attention. When he has the right role, he is baaaaaaad arse and this is the role he was made for. The whole scene where he is riding to the plantation with the big group just made me grin.

Waltz is well, Waltz. You can't help but compare him to the Jew Hunter, but if you put that aside, he is a completely different character. His introduction, his methods, his boldness. Is he a supporting character to Foxx? I don't know that he is. The scene where they go into the bar stands out in my mind.

Dicaprio didn't get me until the dinner scene. As someone already mentioned, Tarantino makes wanting characters to die a painful death enjoyable.

The stand out surprise was Jackson. Holy sh!t. When Foxx says that a black slaver is the only thing lower then the 'head house nigga', he was obviously referring to Jackson and that line just kept popping back into my head. The scene where he talks to an upside down Django...

And of course, a lot of notable small things from the rest of the support cast. Everyone plays their part. I wish we could have seen just a little more of Dicaprios sister and who she was, but no foul.

Most importantly the dialogue is your typical Tarantino. Someone above said he's come along way since the cheeseburger conversations of Pulp Fiction. Waaaah? He hasn't changed at all. Death Proof was almost nothing BUT talking, yet that movie was great.

I find it difficult to compare Tarantino movies. It's not like comparing two actions movies or two comedies. He makes genre movies. This is THE Western. I want to watch it again, but I think I might revisit IngBas, which I haven't watched in a few years instead.

9/10
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 7:04:00 AM
At 12/27/2012 2:02:53 AM, socialpinko wrote:
If I'm to be ambiguous, Tarantino brought back all his gimmicks he seemed to leave behind in his past few movies.

What do you mean by this?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 6:13:51 PM
I quite enjoyed reading every post in this thread. The OP was written particularly enjoyably.

I suppose it helps that I agree, though.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2013 8:59:07 AM
At 1/6/2013 7:01:11 AM, tvellalott wrote:
The patented TV review

I'm sad to say that I had to download a torrent of this movie because for some reason Australia isn't getting it in cinemas until the 24th. Dafuq?

Anyway, here is my review, SPOILERS KEPT TO A MINIMUM

First of all, Tarantino is my favourite director period. Self-importance aside (the end of IngBas 'this might just be my masterpiece'? Argh) he makes fun fvcking movies. I love all his movies, bar none. So, consider me bias.
Agree that he makes fun movies, but I think that it's his script writing that's really the allure.

Let's talk about what he was doing here; Tarantino doesn't make original movies. He is a cinemaphile and it shows.

Reservoir Dogs - The Cops and Robbers movie.
Kill Bill - The Revenge Movie
Death Proof - The Car Movie

And so on...
I can see that; that's a great observation. Tarantino pays homage to other movies all the time in his work.

This is the western. And while it's no Unforgiven, it's certainly a great addition to the genre. From start to finish, I was enthralled. Watching it on my computer, I could see the progress bar and I just never wanted it to end. When it got to the end of act 3 (those who've seen it will know) I was like "is there enough time for this to resolve?!". Yes, yes there was.
I agree. I liked it better than Inglorious Basterds & maybe even Kill Bill. It was a long movie but it never really got to the point that you noticed it WHILE you were watching it. All the characters were great and the actors did fine jobs, my only big criticism is the gratuitous use of the n-word in some scenes. It felt as if he was trying to go for a record for use of the n-word in a movie. I understand the period in time portrayed in the film but even so, it was not necessary to the story and made the film lose a sense of realism.

The violence, the cinematography, the costumes, the scenery. It was a big ode to the spagetti western.
Totally.

I'll look at a few of the characters...

I LOVE Foxx. That movie where Tom Cruise is a hitman and he is a taxi driver first caught my attention. When he has the right role, he is baaaaaaad arse and this is the role he was made for. The whole scene where he is riding to the plantation with the big group just made me grin.
I did like Foxx in Collateral Damage as well, but he was also good in Ray and The Soloist. Foxx started out as a comedian and I never liked him as such; I never really found him funny. I only started to like him when he began to play serious roles.

Waltz is well, Waltz. You can't help but compare him to the Jew Hunter, but if you put that aside, he is a completely different character. His introduction, his methods, his boldness. Is he a supporting character to Foxx? I don't know that he is. The scene where they go into the bar stands out in my mind.
Yes, that's a bingo!

Dicaprio didn't get me until the dinner scene. As someone already mentioned, Tarantino makes wanting characters to die a painful death enjoyable.
Dicaprio is great...as much as I would like to hate and envy him, I cannot.

The stand out surprise was Jackson. Holy sh!t. When Foxx says that a black slaver is the only thing lower then the 'head house nigga', he was obviously referring to Jackson and that line just kept popping back into my head. The scene where he talks to an upside down Django...
Yep.

And of course, a lot of notable small things from the rest of the support cast. Everyone plays their part. I wish we could have seen just a little more of Dicaprios sister and who she was, but no foul.

Most importantly the dialogue is your typical Tarantino. Someone above said he's come along way since the cheeseburger conversations of Pulp Fiction. Waaaah? He hasn't changed at all. Death Proof was almost nothing BUT talking, yet that movie was great.
Screw his sister, I wanted to see more of Kerry Washington! Although there was some side-boobage in some seen, I wonder if it's really her's and why we didn't get more!

I find it difficult to compare Tarantino movies. It's not like comparing two actions movies or two comedies. He makes genre movies. This is THE Western. I want to watch it again, but I think I might revisit IngBas, which I haven't watched in a few years instead.

9/10
I still think that Tarantino is an excellent writer and a decent director, but in the end it's the characters, their lines, the situations, that he creates that are his forte. My favorite Tarantino movie is a toss up between Pulp Fiction and True Romance. Although he did not direct True Romance, he did write the script and it shows. There's probably more star power in that movie than ANY of his other movies: Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Dennis Hoper, Val Kilmer, Gary Oldman, Brad Pitt, Christopher Walken, Samuel L. Jackson, James Gandolfini, Chris Penn, Tom Sizemore, Bronson Pinchot, and Michael Rapaport.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.