Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

Anyone a fan of Dan Brown

tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 10:42:51 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've read The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, The Lost Symbol, and Deception Point (in that order).

The first three follow the same main character, Robert Langdon. Brown's new book will also follow Robert Langdon, and is called Inferno http://ca.reuters.com...

What do you guys think of his books/him as a writer?

I find that in the Robert Langdon series there are a couple of predictable elements that seem to always turn up. However, I enjoy the historical background he gives on various symbols, words, and events, as well as his take on what they mean. His style of writing is captivating, if not a little frustrating at times (forces you to keep turning the page to see what's going to happen).

The Lost Symbol is one of my favourite books of all time. However... I was "meh" about Deception Point. The plot was interesting but I didn't like his writing style there.

Will you read Inferno?
yang.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 11:43:03 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I only read the deception point. I thought it was pretty awesome. The setting in the arctic and the imagery to bring it to life as well as the consistent suspense all the way to the end was cool. An action oriented story. I especially liked the portrayal of the senator and the clash between him and his daughter as well the fake stuff he does to get elected and how it all comes crashing down at the end over a bunch of wrong files.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 11:50:53 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/15/2013 11:43:03 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I only read the deception point. I thought it was pretty awesome. The setting in the arctic and the imagery to bring it to life as well as the consistent suspense all the way to the end was cool. An action oriented story. I especially liked the portrayal of the senator and the clash between him and his daughter as well the fake stuff he does to get elected and how it all comes crashing down at the end over a bunch of wrong files.

Thank you for your response but I WAS TRYING TO AVOID SPOILERS haha

I think part of it was that, being the 4th book of his that I read, I was sort of used to his suspenseful style and it was "played out" for me by that point. I liked it better with a different story, in terms of using symbols to uncover some "great truth" (You should read the Robert Langdon series). I didn't care so much about uncovering the truth in Deception Point, the story just kind of took me there. I'm not saying it was a bad story, but the Robert Langdon books' "truths" made me reconsider my life!
yang.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 11:52:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Or I should say, the "truths" uncovered in the Robert Langdon books gave me a lot of insight to life (especially at the age when I read them).
yang.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 7:30:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I read Deception Point. Was ok, kinda bugged me on how "perfect" the unnamed president I believe is. I dunno, I dislike clear, black/white bad guys when their views and the way they do things are so gray.

I also didn't understand how

*SPOILERS*

After they killed an entire Delta Team, which I found totally BS to begin with, just saying, and the friggen director of the whatever.....they get off scot free.....
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 2:00:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've skimmed the thread and seen the word "spoilers" more than once, so I won't be reading it. I just want to say that I loved The Da Vinci Code and am halfway through Angels & Demons right now. I bought The Lost Symbol because I knew I was going to read it, regardless of how A&D turned out.

I don't read a lot of commercial mysteries but I find Brown's fast paced writing and straightforward plot lines compelling and very easy to digest.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 2:50:56 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'll be reading Inferno. I've read all his books but the Robert Langdon ones are the best.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 8:25:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/16/2013 2:00:52 AM, Maikuru wrote:
I've skimmed the thread and seen the word "spoilers" more than once, so I won't be reading it. I just want to say that I loved The Da Vinci Code and am halfway through Angels & Demons right now. I bought The Lost Symbol because I knew I was going to read it, regardless of how A&D turned out.

I don't read a lot of commercial mysteries but I find Brown's fast paced writing and straightforward plot lines compelling and very easy to digest.

You will not be disappointed!

I also read the books in that order. He also clearly does his research, and it's refreshing to read.
yang.
ishallannoyyo
Posts: 1,034
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 8:31:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/16/2013 2:00:52 AM, Maikuru wrote:
I've skimmed the thread and seen the word "spoilers" more than once, so I won't be reading it. I just want to say that I loved The Da Vinci Code and am halfway through Angels & Demons right now. I bought The Lost Symbol because I knew I was going to read it, regardless of how A&D turned out.

You'll like Angels and Demons. The Lost Symbol was really good, but it kinda scared me a bit (the antagonist is a creep).


I don't read a lot of commercial mysteries but I find Brown's fast paced writing and straightforward plot lines compelling and very easy to digest.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 7:09:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I didn't like Angels and Demons that much, but Da Vinci Code was fabulous and I absolutely loved the Lost Symbol. I'm so glad he's coming out with another book. I think the Lost Symbol movie will be coming out this year, but I don't think I'll be able to see it for a while.

He's my favorite author. I love books about conspiracy theories and codes. I guess that my mom's preference rubbed off on me; she likes the Indiana Jones movies, and those are about treasure hunts/mysteries (I think? I've never seen any of them).
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 11:04:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/17/2013 7:09:40 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I didn't like Angels and Demons that much, but Da Vinci Code was fabulous and I absolutely loved the Lost Symbol. I'm so glad he's coming out with another book. I think the Lost Symbol movie will be coming out this year, but I don't think I'll be able to see it for a while.


omg omg omg

I hope they do it justice. The Da Vinci Code (movie) was hard, because they got like, halfway through the book within 5 minutes.

He's my favorite author. I love books about conspiracy theories and codes. I guess that my mom's preference rubbed off on me; she likes the Indiana Jones movies, and those are about treasure hunts/mysteries (I think? I've never seen any of them).

Yeah, he's probably one of my favourite authors as well. Umm I watched the last Indiana Jones movie (with Shia LeBeouf) but I don't know how much of it was rooted in fact. What I like about Dan Brown is a lot of his writing is factual.
yang.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2013 9:00:54 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/17/2013 11:04:26 PM, tulle wrote:
At 1/17/2013 7:09:40 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I didn't like Angels and Demons that much, but Da Vinci Code was fabulous and I absolutely loved the Lost Symbol. I'm so glad he's coming out with another book. I think the Lost Symbol movie will be coming out this year, but I don't think I'll be able to see it for a while.


omg omg omg

I hope they do it justice. The Da Vinci Code (movie) was hard, because they got like, halfway through the book within 5 minutes.

The Harry Potter movies had the same problem. It's hard to adapt books to movies, unfortunately. You could also tell that they were trying to alter things in the Da Vinci Code to make it softer for mass consumption, such as when they made Robert Langdon a Christian instead of an Atheist and had him scoff at Teabing's analysis.
He's my favorite author. I love books about conspiracy theories and codes. I guess that my mom's preference rubbed off on me; she likes the Indiana Jones movies, and those are about treasure hunts/mysteries (I think? I've never seen any of them).

Yeah, he's probably one of my favourite authors as well. Umm I watched the last Indiana Jones movie (with Shia LeBeouf) but I don't know how much of it was rooted in fact. What I like about Dan Brown is a lot of his writing is factual.

Yeah, that's what I like about Dan Brown as well. He does a ton of research before he writes.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2013 9:03:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't know anything about Indiana Jones though. I haven't seen any of them, but from the references I picked up at Disneyland, most of it seemed sooo fake (I went on the Temple of Doom ride because my mom really wanted to go on it, and it was totally weird).
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2013 8:32:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Id like to say ive read all his books, but i dont know. In any case, i hate how he is so extremely predictable, i.e. a friend that turns out to be the enemy(Deception point, digital fortress, angels and demons, da vinci code).

I couldve swore i read the lost symbol, as i own a hardcover copy. Yet i cannot for the life of me, remember what transpired inside. All i remember is Langdon walking down a set of stairs, and then later, walking up a set of stairs at the end of the book.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 10:13:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/18/2013 8:32:26 PM, tkubok wrote:
Id like to say ive read all his books, but i dont know. In any case, i hate how he is so extremely predictable, i.e. a friend that turns out to be the enemy(Deception point, digital fortress, angels and demons, da vinci code).


That's one of the things I was alluding to in (I believe) my first post. Was trying to avoid spoilers :p

I couldve swore i read the lost symbol, as i own a hardcover copy. Yet i cannot for the life of me, remember what transpired inside. All i remember is Langdon walking down a set of stairs, and then later, walking up a set of stairs at the end of the book.

A severed hand was left in the rotunda or something of some building, and it was about the secrets of the masons. It was about noetic science and the villain was looking for the Lost Word.
yang.
TheElderScroll
Posts: 643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 8:08:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/15/2013 10:42:51 AM, tulle wrote:
I've read The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, The Lost Symbol, and Deception Point (in that order).

The first three follow the same main character, Robert Langdon. Brown's new book will also follow Robert Langdon, and is called Inferno http://ca.reuters.com...

What do you guys think of his books/him as a writer?

I find that in the Robert Langdon series there are a couple of predictable elements that seem to always turn up. However, I enjoy the historical background he gives on various symbols, words, and events, as well as his take on what they mean. His style of writing is captivating, if not a little frustrating at times (forces you to keep turning the page to see what's going to happen).

The Lost Symbol is one of my favourite books of all time. However... I was "meh" about Deception Point. The plot was interesting but I didn't like his writing style there.

Will you read Inferno?

I've read The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, and The Lost Symbol, and I enojed the Da Vinci Code the best.

Inferno? It sounds like it will have something to do Divine Comedy, the seventh circle of Hell perhaps?
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 9:12:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
In a forum with even a modicum of taste, I'd expect this question to receive as many positive responses as "anyone a fan of the holocaust?"
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 6:45:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/20/2013 9:12:31 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
In a forum with even a modicum of taste, I'd expect this question to receive as many positive responses as "anyone a fan of the holocaust?"

Tell us how you really feel.

What's so bad about him?
yang.
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2013 10:53:24 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I used to fly a lot, and Dan Brown books are great for airplanes, like the watered down movies they give you are great for airplanes.

Basically, they're like crack - 3 page chapters with alternating cliffhangers at the end of each chapter. When you get to another one, well hell...just 3 more pages...and then another one...just 3 more pages...and so on.

They'll definitely kill a 3 hour flight, but I find myself never wanting to pick them up when I hit Terra Firma. That probably makes me a snob, but as far as I can tell, he;s sh!tty writer with a great schtick.

I respect that to a certain extent, just not enough to read anything he puts out unless I'm 35,000 feet above the ground.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2013 12:10:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/20/2013 6:45:46 PM, tulle wrote:
At 1/20/2013 9:12:31 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
In a forum with even a modicum of taste, I'd expect this question to receive as many positive responses as "anyone a fan of the holocaust?"

Tell us how you really feel.

What's so bad about him?

He is the epitome of poor writing, poor plotting and poor characterisation. His novels lack even the meanest intelligence. If I were to name an author who would take the figurehead position for awful writing of the last twenty years, Dan Brown's only competitor would be Stephenie Meyer.
Dan Brown's writing has utterly no redeeming features. Even if one can get past his mutilation of the English language, no enjoyment can be gleaned from the pulpy, thriller-esque elements of his novels as they are predictable as they are inane.
It even offends on a factual level as he repeatedly fails to get even basic geographical and historical facts right. Its as if historygenius decided to write a book.

I could go into the specifics of why his writing is appalling and grating on the very basest level, but it might be wasted here.
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2013 12:11:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/22/2013 10:53:24 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
I used to fly a lot, and Dan Brown books are great for airplanes, like the watered down movies they give you are great for airplanes.

Basically, they're like crack - 3 page chapters with alternating cliffhangers at the end of each chapter. When you get to another one, well hell...just 3 more pages...and then another one...just 3 more pages...and so on.

They'll definitely kill a 3 hour flight, but I find myself never wanting to pick them up when I hit Terra Firma. That probably makes me a snob, but as far as I can tell, he;s sh!tty writer with a great schtick.

I respect that to a certain extent, just not enough to read anything he puts out unless I'm 35,000 feet above the ground.

Understandable. The pressure does odd things to ones head.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2013 12:21:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/22/2013 12:10:27 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 1/20/2013 6:45:46 PM, tulle wrote:
At 1/20/2013 9:12:31 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
In a forum with even a modicum of taste, I'd expect this question to receive as many positive responses as "anyone a fan of the holocaust?"

Tell us how you really feel.

What's so bad about him?

He is the epitome of poor writing, poor plotting and poor characterisation. His novels lack even the meanest intelligence. If I were to name an author who would take the figurehead position for awful writing of the last twenty years, Dan Brown's only competitor would be Stephenie Meyer.
Dan Brown's writing has utterly no redeeming features. Even if one can get past his mutilation of the English language, no enjoyment can be gleaned from the pulpy, thriller-esque elements of his novels as they are predictable as they are inane.
It even offends on a factual level as he repeatedly fails to get even basic geographical and historical facts right. Its as if historygenius decided to write a book.

I could go into the specifics of why his writing is appalling and grating on the very basest level, but it might be wasted here.

Agreed! I hope I can perhaps induct Dan Brown to my roster of "awfully and grotesquely bad writers," though he cannot rival the likes of Amanda McKittrick Ros or McIntyre in profuseness, sheer baseness of thought and articulation, or, in Ros' case, the contemptible conveyance of what would have been sophisticated in more competent and able hands.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau