Best directors?

Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:36:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Post yo list.

Quentin Tarantino: Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill, Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained....

Christopher Nolan: Dark Knight (Rises), Inception, The Prestige, Memento, The Following....

David Fincher: Seven, Fight Club, Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Zodiac, Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Social Network....

Stanley Kubrick: Dr. Strangelove, Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, 2001: A Space Odyssey....

The Coens: Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona, O Brother, Fargo, True Grit....

People who you have to mention (but who's style I don't particularly have any affinity for): Hitchcock, Spielberg, Cameron, and Scorsese.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 10:02:00 PM
At 1/31/2013 3:36:56 PM, Noumena wrote:
Post yo list.

Quentin Tarantino: Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill, Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained....

Christopher Nolan: Dark Knight (Rises), Inception, The Prestige, Memento, The Following....

David Fincher: Seven, Fight Club, Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Zodiac, Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Social Network....

Stanley Kubrick: Dr. Strangelove, Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, 2001: A Space Odyssey....

People who you have to mention (but who's style I don't particularly have any affinity for): Hitchcock, Spielberg, Cameron, and Scorsese.

I am for Cameron. His Aliens & T2 are classic. Christopher Nolan is also one of the best.
Not a fan of Quentin Tarantino.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 10:06:34 PM
At 1/31/2013 10:02:00 PM, TheElderScroll wrote:

In other news, you're dead to me.
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 9:30:03 AM
At 1/31/2013 10:06:34 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 1/31/2013 10:02:00 PM, TheElderScroll wrote:

In other news, you're dead to me.
...=.=!!!
I am undead.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 12:52:45 PM
I like Spielberg.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 1:08:24 PM
Post yo list.

Coppola (either one)? (for the have to's)

Irving Kirchner (directed the only good Star Wars movie)

Clooney

Robert Rodriguez

Mel Brooks

Spike Jonze (short list of feature films, but long list of music video, and other, directing credits...and the movies he's done have packed quite a wallop)

are some others like, but your list is pretty good.

I don't think Penny Marshall gets nearly enough credit for the overall body of work she's put together, either. They're not my faves but I dislike very few of them, which given I am not even approaching the target audience for the vast majority of them.

(Video, directed by Spike Jonze, if that wasn't made obvious enough, may be the best music video I've ever seen, and I had MTV 2 months after it's debut so I've seen a few of them...it's epic)
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 1:09:48 PM
Post yo list.

Excellent list.
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 1:10:26 PM
At 2/2/2013 1:08:24 PM, malcolmxy wrote:

Coppola (either one)? (for the have to's)

Irving Kirchner (directed the only good Star Wars movie)

Clooney

Robert Rodriguez

Mel Brooks

Spike Jonze (short list of feature films, but long list of music video, and other, directing credits...and the movies he's done have packed quite a wallop)

are some others like, but your list is pretty good.

I don't think Penny Marshall gets nearly enough credit for the overall body of work she's put together, either. They're not my faves but I dislike very few of them, which given I am not even approaching the target audience for the vast majority of them.

(Video, directed by Spike Jonze, if that wasn't made obvious enough, may be the best music video I've ever seen, and I had MTV 2 months after it's debut so I've seen a few of them...it's epic)

Also excellent.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 1:21:15 PM
At 2/2/2013 1:11:18 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
Only one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is Darren Aronofsky.

That made me remember JJ Abrams for some reason. Aronofsky is the shiznizzle, though.

I like most of what Abrams has done, though I don't really give him credit for Lost any longer, past the pilot, which was great and wonderfully cinematic in scope and quality. (my gramps designed the flight system on the plane used in the show...)

Guilty Pleasure - Aaron Sorkin (again, shorter list of films, but that @sshole sucks me in ever time with his tricks...that he uses over and over and over and I fall for every time like they were new to me)

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 2:13:03 PM
At 2/2/2013 1:09:48 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
Post yo list.

People who you have to mention (but who's style I don't particularly have any affinity for): Orson Welles Hitchcock, Spielberg, Cameron, and Scorsese.

Excellent list.

Added bolded.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 3:05:48 PM
At 2/2/2013 2:13:03 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
Orson Welles

You didn't like Citizen Kane? You do know that Rosebud was Hearst's pet name for his mistress's vajayjay, right? Welles snuck so much personal stuff about Hearst in there that once it came out and people who knew Hearst saw it, he was socially ruined, and no one deserved to be socially ruined like Hearst.

Welles was the 1st rock n roll star. I can get with rebelling against the rest of the list, but not Welles.

Plus, Orson absolutely RULED as Unicron in Transformers: The Movie (which I know he didn't direct, but still...too much awesome...)

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 3:18:26 PM
Stanley Kubrick, Sergio Leone, Quentin Tarantino
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 3:58:40 PM
um...Spike Lee (*self flagellates for unforgivable omission*)

I can see how some might argue that Spike Lee Movies are too this or too that (or too Spike Lee Movies), but Malcolm X was done about as well as any biopic in film history (ROBBED at the Oscar ceremony that year), and with Inside Man, Lee finally turned the corner from "great director of black-themed movies" to "great director of movies". I'm excited about his career as he advances in age further.

Also, without Spike Lee - no Samuel L. Jackson, which means that LaMont from Sanford and Son or perhaps JJ Walker play opposite John Travolta in Pulp Fiction.

Dyn-o-mite ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in Dyn-o-mite?

Babeslayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 2:54:06 PM
(My favorite of their films included)
The Coen Brothers: Fargo
Wes Anderson: The Royal Tenenbaums
Woody Allen: Annie Hall
Quentin Tarantino: Pulp Fiction
David Lynch: Mullohand Dr.
David Fincher: Fight Club
Francis Coppela: The Godfather part II
Martin Scorsese: Goodfellas
Christopher Nolan: Memento
Peter Jackson: LoR 3
Joss Whedon: Serenity
David Cianfrance: Blue Valentine
Zack Snyder: Watchmen
Robert Rodriguez: From Dusk till Dawn
Steven Speilberg: Minority Report
Stanley Kubrick: 2001 A Space Odyssey
Edgar Wright: Shaun of the Dead
Babeslayer
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 7:20:52 PM
Can't believe I didn't include Wes Anderson.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 1:38:11 AM
I'm a Christopher Nolan fan.

Also, I'm not sure if you could say he's one of the best, but I feel like Richard Linklaster is worth mentioning. Creator of Waking Life, A Scanner Darkly and Warm Bodies.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 4:51:23 PM
At 6/16/2013 4:47:48 PM, unitedandy wrote:
Yes to Tarantino, Scorsese, Nolan and some of the others.

Guy Richie - Sherlock Holmes, Lock Stock, Snatch, RocknRolla

Guy Richie is weird. I absolutely adore Lock Stock and Snatch but cant stand anything else he's made. Like he just happened to strike gold twice in a row or something.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 6:09:59 PM
Akira Kurosawa and Hayao Miyazaki are my personal favorites amongst the highly acclaimed directors.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 6:22:19 PM
Tarantino, Hitchcock, Kubrick, Nolan, Burton, and Lynch.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 6:48:08 PM
At 6/16/2013 4:51:23 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 6/16/2013 4:47:48 PM, unitedandy wrote:
Yes to Tarantino, Scorsese, Nolan and some of the others.

Guy Richie - Sherlock Holmes, Lock Stock, Snatch, RocknRolla

Guy Richie is weird. I absolutely adore Lock Stock and Snatch but cant stand anything else he's made. Like he just happened to strike gold twice in a row or something.

Interesting. I get people disliking RocknRolla (I'll usually avoid Gerard Butler like the plague), but you didn't like Sherlock Holmes?

Also, I'd add Danny Boyle. Trainspotting in particular is a masterpiece.

A bit more controversial but Ben Affleck as well. Argo and the Town were awesome. The guy isn't too bad of an actor either.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 2:06:00 PM
At 6/13/2013 1:38:11 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I'm a Christopher Nolan fan.

Also, I'm not sure if you could say he's one of the best, but I feel like Richard Linklaster is worth mentioning. Creator of Waking Life, A Scanner Darkly and Warm Bodies.

He didn't CREATE Warm Bodies. He directed it.

Credit where it's due, thanks.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 2:07:38 PM
I think stylistically Wes Anderson is my favorite, especially with The Royal Tenenbaums and Moonrise Kingdom.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus