Jump to topic:

Zero Dark Thirty

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 1:49:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Saw this movie over the weekend... I really enjoyed it.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to anyone though. Since its a historical drama film that goes over 10 years of US/Mid east events during the search for Bin Laden, it might not be for everyone...

I had been closely paying attention to these events as much as I could since 9/11, so to have those events recalled dramatically and in context was fascinating. This movie was even better than I had hoped, and really got interesting in the last hour when it neared the climactic events most of us read about when the search for Bin Laden came to an end.

Kathryn Bigelow is also clearly one of the better directors for this genre. I really enjoyed Hurt Locker, and Zero Dark 30 is another excellent film that she has directed.

So has anyone else seen it? any thoughts?
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 2:15:12 AM
At 2/4/2013 1:49:47 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to anyone though. Since its a historical drama film that goes over 10 years of US/Mid east events during the search for Bin Laden, it might not be for everyone...

I had been closely paying attention to these events as much as I could since 9/11, so to have those events recalled dramatically and in context was fascinating. This movie was even better than I had hoped, and really got interesting in the last hour when it neared the climactic events most of us read about when the search for Bin Laden came to an end.

Kathryn Bigelow is also clearly one of the better directors for this genre. I really enjoyed Hurt Locker, and Zero Dark 30 is another excellent film that she has directed.

I've seen it, and loved it. Was your opinion of water boarding or other measures of enhanced interrogation impacted by the movie?
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 2:33:33 AM
At 2/4/2013 2:15:12 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/4/2013 1:49:47 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

I've seen it, and loved it. Was your opinion of water boarding or other measures of enhanced interrogation impacted by the movie?

Not really, but I was well aware of what these methods entailed and how effective/ineffective they are long before I saw the film.

I've always felt like I've been on "the wrong" side of this debate. I don't want to condone any type of torture, but I see the value in noninvasive measures like water boarding and am just happy I don't have to make that call. If I did, I'd be against it. Perhaps just having that opinion makes me guilty of something though.
Debate.org Moderator
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:05:23 PM
I thought it was a solid movie.

However, I think this whole waterboarding thing is curious. It's as though when people are told what to pay attention to and look at, they listen unquestioningly.

Waterboarding was clearly the very least and most insignificant of what that man experienced. His face was swollen almost beyond recognition, he was starving and dehydrated, he was chained up like an animal, unable to even sit down, and whatever he experienced caused him to crap himself.

Then, he was locked in a small box.