Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Duo interp (humerous)

philosphical
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2009 9:34:11 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Hey guys, me and my partner rob marie are processing a duo interp on hansel and gretel. We are about half-way done, and so far it is pretty good. If any one has any ideas for funny lines we can use, they would be much appreciated, and will most likely be used. I will post a video of it after its completion.
Thanks guys
-philosophical
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
philosphical
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2009 6:25:32 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Okay guys, we just finished our duo interp. Here's the video.
Sorry the sound quality for this sucks, so you'll have to turn up your volume.
Please give me your honest opinion on it.

For those of you who don't know what duo interp is, it is where you and one partner get together and act out any story as the main characters. You are not allowed to look at each other or touch each other, and it must be under 10 minutes.

Me and Robmary have been working on this very hard for our competition this saturday, so tell me what you think is good and bad about it.
Thanks!
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
Charlie_Danger
Posts: 303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2009 6:27:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I haven't seen it yet, but I will.

My initial thoughts on the piece selection though: FAIL.

But I'm one to talk...I'm doing Pulp Fiction.
http://www.Debate.org...
^Latest Debate^

http://www.Debate.org...
word

http://www.debate.org...
lolwut^

http://www.myspace.com...
^Not music, but music^

Music Line of The Day:
"She burns like the sun, and I can't turn away"
Charlie_Danger
Posts: 303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2009 6:34:40 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Pre-Intro:
-Your voice was decent, but I don't think you guys should have switched roles. She needs to be MUCH more "manly" and overdramatic about it to be clear and humorous.

Intro:
-You have the same problem many have when orating, you repeat the same hand cycle over and over and over again
-She, on the other hand, does nothing
BOTH of these are bad
-Go watch National Finalists in Original Oratory, and mimick their speaking styles

...To be continued...
http://www.Debate.org...
^Latest Debate^

http://www.Debate.org...
word

http://www.debate.org...
lolwut^

http://www.myspace.com...
^Not music, but music^

Music Line of The Day:
"She burns like the sun, and I can't turn away"
philosphical
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2009 7:33:17 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Intro:
-You have the same problem many have when orating, you repeat the same hand cycle over and over and over again

Yeah I kinda have a bad habit of moving my hands when getting a point across. Definitely something to work on.

-She, on the other hand, does nothing
BOTH of these are bad

What would you propose we do instead?

My initial thoughts on the piece selection though: FAIL.

Yeah, probably right, but it was our first one, and we decided it would be best to stick with something generally simple and easy.

But I'm one to talk...I'm doing Pulp Fiction.

Doesn't it have to be on a book?

...To be continued...

Thankyou for the insightful comments.
So over-all would you say it's good, or bad?
Good enough to win the tournament saturday?
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
ToastOfDestiny
Posts: 990
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2009 9:18:35 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'll get some feedback up tomorrow around noon.
At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
Our demise and industrial destruction
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Only exists in your head, as already shown.

At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
reveal why you answer with a question mark
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Because it was a question.

RFDs Pl0x:
http://www.debate.org...
philosphical
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2009 5:55:31 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/5/2009 9:44:26 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
my honest opinion was it butchered the literature and was somewhat offensive.

Okay, well could you at least provide an explanation as to how? Do you even know the story of Hansel and Gretel, because all the lines were from that book...
We have worked many long hours putting that together, so please refrain from making such rude comments about it... Until you can post a duo interp that's better that is...
Also keep in mind that we are both novices, and this is are first duo intep, and this is just our practice session.
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
philosphical
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2009 9:32:30 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/6/2009 9:45:10 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
A novice? A challenger appears!

Huh?
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
philosphical
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 4:38:07 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Hey guys! My partner and I just won third place at our competition! thanks for your suggestions and stuff.
-philosophical
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
wonderwoman
Posts: 744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 9:10:29 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/6/2009 5:55:31 AM, philosphical wrote:
At 11/5/2009 9:44:26 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
my honest opinion was it butchered the literature and was somewhat offensive.

Okay, well could you at least provide an explanation as to how? Do you even know the story of Hansel and Gretel, because all the lines were from that book...
We have worked many long hours putting that together, so please refrain from making such rude comments about it... Until you can post a duo interp that's better that is...
Also keep in mind that we are both novices, and this is are first duo intep, and this is just our practice session.

The lines may have very well all been through out the play but the literature is considered classic. some judges may have had different opinions on the characters/interpretations and therefore by changing it you actually butcher the actual litereature.

The offensive part I found at first was "no, I am not gay" completely unnecessary and almost sounds like you think it i bad to be gay. I could post more but I will refrain as I am rude and uneducated according to you.

Well, I'd suggest you not ask for comments if you don't want rude ones because that is my opinion and I am very well entitled to it.

1) I do not do duo
2)having done Oratory, Interp reading, and Dramatic Interp (1 person) I feel that I am somewhat entitled to critique you when you ask for it.

Good job on 3rd though and like I said it really is just the judges that matter.
philosphical
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 9:55:02 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
The lines may have very well all been through out the play but the literature is considered classic. Some judges may have had different opinions on the characters/interpretations and therefore by changing it you actually butcher the actual literature.

Keep it mind, that this is HUMEROUS interp. We are supposed to change the context of the lines in order for it to be funny. I am sorry you feel that we somehow butchered it.

The offensive part I found at first was "no, I am not gay" completely unnecessary and almost sounds like you think it I bad to be gay.

What you need to understand is that this is humorous interp, and that most things said in humorous interps are intended to be sarcastic or funny. Also to add on this point, one of the judges I had actually WAS gay, and following the rounds conclusion, he told me and my partner how great he thought the interp was. The point is that the joke does not insinuate my dis-like of gays in any way. If you have ever watched Frasier, you would also know that the line is from that show, and is quite popular, AND recommended from our debate coach, which is why we used it in the first place. Taking a pun such as that serious, is quite ridiculous, however, if it offended you in any way I apologize.

I could post more but I will refrain as I am rude and uneducated according to you.

First of all I don't remember ever referring to you as un-educated. In fact, I felt my response, was quite civilized and respectful, yet for the third time, if you were offended I apologize. Feel free to use your criticism, but please use it in a respectful manner.

Well, I'd suggest you not ask for comments if you don't want rude ones because that is my opinion and I am very well entitled to it.

It's not the comments that dis-agree with the interp that I find vulgar, its the use of them. You said bluntly that our interp was offensive, and ruined the literature, without any basis. That's basically like slapping someone in the face and telling them they suck. What I was expecting, was a courteous, respectful answer that was constructive and beneficial.
For example, instead you could have said something more along the lines of
" Good job, However there is a few things you need to fix. For one you might offend someone by the use of the gay joke and 2...." etc.
I agree that you are entitled to your own opinion, and your freedom of speech, but I would like to remind you that such un-civility, is commonly looked down upon in society, and I don't believe I would ever resort to such comments in viewing something that someone has obviously spent a great deal of time and effort into.

1) I do not do duo
2)having done Oratory, Interp reading, and Dramatic Interp (1 person) I feel that I am somewhat entitled to critique you when you ask for it.

I would agree that you are entitled as well to leave an opinion. As for the way the opinion is left, I think it could have been done a little bit more in a positive retrospect.

Good job on 3rd though and like I said it really is just the judges that matter.

Thankyou for sharing your opinions with me, and thankyou for the congrats.
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 8:37:45 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/5/2009 6:27:12 PM, Charlie_Danger wrote:
I haven't seen it yet, but I will.

My initial thoughts on the piece selection though: FAIL.

But I'm one to talk...I'm doing Pulp Fiction.

Seems like it ^
President of DDO
wonderwoman
Posts: 744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 9:26:46 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com...;</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AJDx3H_hvI8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

that is how u do a humorous interp
philosphical
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 9:35:51 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/12/2009 8:37:45 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 11/5/2009 6:27:12 PM, Charlie_Danger wrote:
I haven't seen it yet, but I will.

My initial thoughts on the piece selection though: FAIL.

But I'm one to talk...I'm doing Pulp Fiction.

Seems like it ^

Charlie you should post it here upon its completion.
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
GhostWriter
Posts: 115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 7:18:16 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I thought the interp was delightful! Good job :)
It was very funny. Keep up the good work. More of you guys should post stuff like this
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 11:11:49 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/7/2009 4:38:07 PM, philosphical wrote:
Hey guys! My partner and I just won third place at our competition! thanks for your suggestions and stuff.
-philosophical

Yes, congrats.
I hope you and your parter happiness for a long time.

congrats
philosphical
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 1:15:20 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/14/2009 11:11:49 AM, comoncents wrote:
At 11/7/2009 4:38:07 PM, philosphical wrote:
Hey guys! My partner and I just won third place at our competition! thanks for your suggestions and stuff.
-philosophical

Yes, congrats.
I hope you and your parter happiness for a long time.

congrats

Thanks comon. You too Ghost
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!