Jump to topic:

Far Cry 3 Review

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 4:56:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
OK, so as usual, I will give my initial thoughts first after playing a few hours and then a fuller review later once I've finished the campaign.

First of all, I was reluctant to buy this game initially and now that I have it, I can't remember why. It sort of didn't grab my interest. I suppose since I haven't played the earlier games it didn't jump out at me, which is a problem I often have with sequel games. I also think I had confused it with Crysis (which I bought the first of and didn't like). Regardless, the thing that led me to buy this game is that I have been playing Skyrim again. I like Skyrim but because destruction magic, even at the master level, isn't particularly impressive (open for discussion, just not here) I lost interest, again. But I wanted a game kind of like that and until yesterday's research frenzy, didn't realise that Far Cry 3 meets the exact perimeters of the game I felt like play. Weird... Perhaps I had subconciously been thinking about it? Anyway, after much consideration I bought this game yesterday and I have played a few hours of it.

Anywho, what to say about this game...
Wow might be a good first thought. Just wow.
I fvcking love playing this game. I can't remember the last time I got up early to play a game but that's exactly what I did this morning. I got up to give my daughter a feed at 5am and after I had done that and changed her bum, made myself a coffee, had a quick smoke and got into it. I'm not particularly far into the campaign (maybe 4th mission?) but I'm hooked. I wish I could sit and play it all day (which even on a weekend is impossible for me). Upgrading my skills, crafting sh!t, driving, killing pirates, the variety of side missions and skinning/harvesting wildlife... Everything is fun to do and more importantly, purposeful.
Now, as I've said... I'm not particularly far into the game. However, given that I loved games like Fallout 3 and GTAIV, I know that my personal taste won't change if the game keeps delivering more of the same same but different (if you know what I mean).
The game looks beautiful on my TV. The controls are excellent. Running around, shooting and driving all feel really authentic. The animals are just as dangerous as the pirates (GET OFF MY ARM LEOPARD!!!). The ease of accessing guns is really good to, in fact it addresses something that's always annoyed me. Why can you only upgrade your guns in success a delayed and purposeful order in most games? Obviously because it allows the developers to manage how difficult the game is. You get a better gun, but enemies get harder. That seems to go out the window with this because if you have the money, you can buy most of the guns from the get go (I think, don't quote me on this).

Anyway, enough ranting. I think everything about this game is good. The few criticisms I've heard about it (dodgy co-op, inconsistent story) haven't or won't impact upon me at all. All I can say is this might turn out to be one of the best games I've ever played.

Expect something more detailed in about a week or so.

tv, out.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 5:22:49 PM
At 2/14/2013 5:06:37 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
There are some great skyrim mods that optimize magic in skyrim completely..

I play on PS3.

Muh threads
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 5:27:40 PM
At 2/14/2013 5:22:49 PM, tvellalott wrote:

I play on PS3.

There's your problem right there.

Far Cry 3 is a great game but I would imagine that it would get repetitive after a while. There's no challenge to it once you unlock 50 free guns from the radio towers.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 9:34:44 PM
At 2/14/2013 5:27:40 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

I play on PS3.

Far Cry 3 is a great game but I would imagine that it would get repetitive after a while. There's no challenge to it once you unlock 50 free guns from the radio towers.

I guess that depends on how long it takes to unlock them, but yeah I could see that being an issue. I'll put my Borderlands 2 review up soon, I think the game does a good job of countering the issue of being OP by not being all that realistic. Which is Far Cry 3s inevitable problem: it's a realistic RPG shooter. Though I do like games that mix stealth/combat choice.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 9:37:45 PM
At 2/14/2013 9:34:44 PM, OberHerr wrote:

I play on PS3.

I guess that depends on how long it takes to unlock them, but yeah I could see that being an issue. I'll put my Borderlands 2 review up soon, I think the game does a good job of countering the issue of being OP by not being all that realistic. Which is Far Cry 3s inevitable problem: it's a realistic RPG shooter. Though I do like games that mix stealth/combat choice.

It's just that there's so much potential there to be a "survival" game (with hunting and all that cool stuff).
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 9:40:33 PM
At 2/14/2013 9:37:45 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

I play on PS3.

It's just that there's so much potential there to be a "survival" game (with hunting and all that cool stuff).

From what I've read of the reviews apparently it does a good job of encouraging hunting, and that the hardest hunts are really quite difficult.

I do agreed though, I wouldn't mind seeming a game where it's a jungle survival, with graphics/setting like Far Cry. That would be fun, especially if they limited weaponry to rifles, and/or made ammo scarce. Maybe the new Tomb Raider?

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 9:46:34 PM
Is it related at all to the other Far Cry's? I haven't played them and would like to.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 9:50:06 PM
At 2/14/2013 9:46:34 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Is it related at all to the other Far Cry's? I haven't played them and would like to.

No.

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 6:42:57 PM
Unlocking all the guns for free is not an easy task, nor does having all the guns suddenly mean you can beat anyone.

I am getting Tomb Raider when it comes out. ^_^

None of the Far Cry games are related to each other Maik, so pick up 3 if you want a blazing good time. I played it until I fell asleep on the couch last night. My missus came out at 3am and woke me up to tell me to come to bed. LOL

Muh threads
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:32:07 PM
At 2/14/2013 9:40:33 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 2/14/2013 9:37:45 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

I play on PS3.

From what I've read of the reviews apparently it does a good job of encouraging hunting, and that the hardest hunts are really quite difficult.
Yeah, but that's because they do something like give you five arrows to kill a panther.

I do agreed though, I wouldn't mind seeming a game where it's a jungle survival, with graphics/setting like Far Cry. That would be fun, especially if they limited weaponry to rifles, and/or made ammo scarce. Maybe the new Tomb Raider?

S.T.A.L.K.E.R did something like this a few years ago if I remember correctly (just with worse graphics and a different setting).
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2013 11:00:21 PM
Mid-way update:

OK, so I've invested a lot of hours into this game over the past days and nights. Holy shiz-nit have I!
I'm about halfway through the story missions, I've done all the towers and strongholds on the first island and I'm currently working my way through wanted and path of the hunter missions. I have a lot of the gear; I think my first task tonight will be collecting all the materials I need to make every gear except the last level, then I'll go back to doing wanted and path of the hunter missions. Mission wise I'm about to leave for the second island to go and meet this Hoyt bloke.

I just want to talk about how fun it is to kill people in this game. The first time I did the ranged knife takedown and just the simplicity of it, I was impressed. You really notice how enemy paths have been tailored to allow for the stealthy approach if you want to go for those big XP bonuses.

I just bought my first signature weapon last night (the Shadow, a very accurate, silenced pistol) and I've popped a few caps with it.

Ummm, what else can I say. I'll talk about the story in full at the end with full spoiler tags. I'm not sure about it yet really. It's gone in a strange direction. I really like some of the tripped out sequences though.

I also like the exploring/Uncharted/Tomb Raider aspects. It's really hard to do a first person adventure game because, well, it's a first person shooter but FC3 really nails it. The missions where you're trying to get back the tribal sword were really fun without feeling too out of place.

I really like the skill progression. I read through all the skills at the beginning and thought "oh, is this the extent of my powers?" but as you use more and more skill points (and your tatau gets bigger and bigger) you realise how much a bonus certain abilities are. I am damn near unstoppable, able to take on droves and droves of pirates.

Right now, I can't see myself stopping playing. I just love this game so fvcking much. I am already looking forward to finishing everything and starting again on Hard difficulty for more of a challenge.

Full review will come when I feel I've gotten the full experience.

Muh threads
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 12:36:34 AM
I wish I had seen this the other day when I had some time to kill and walked into my local gamestop and just bought a game kinda impulsively as I tend to do. I looked at the new releases for games i haven't played yet, saw Hitman (a series I've enjoyed) and Far Cry3 (a series I haven't yet played) and decided to go with Hitman... Hitman has so far been enjoyable, but based on what you have said I think I made the wrong choice haha

well no worries, thanks to your review I'll just pick it up next week.
Debate.org Moderator
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 12:37:50 AM
At 2/19/2013 12:36:34 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
I wish I had seen this the other day when I had some time to kill and walked into my local gamestop and just bought a game kinda impulsively as I tend to do. I looked at the new releases for games i haven't played yet, saw Hitman (a series I've enjoyed) and Far Cry3 (a series I haven't yet played) and decided to go with Hitman... Hitman has so far been enjoyable, but based on what you have said I think I made the wrong choice haha

Buy it just for Vaas.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 12:39:01 AM
At 2/19/2013 12:37:50 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

Buy it just for Vaas.

From what I hear, he's one of the best characters from any game released last year... I'm not even sure why I haven't picked this game up yet.. all the reviews I've read have been really positive.. I guess I've just been too busy.
Debate.org Moderator
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 8:35:32 PM

I have Hitman as well. You didn't make a bad choice if you have the ability to have both. ^_^

Also, Vaas is fvcking cool.

Muh threads
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 6:31:53 AM
I just finished the game and now I need time to reflect upon the story.
Let's just say I agree with an article I read on reddit just now that said the story was linear, so the ending should have been too. I chose the 'bad' ending and...

Well, I won't spoil it.

ANYWAY, having finished the game I feel fully qualified to talk about it.
It was great. Ending aside, I enjoyed every moment of playing this game from start to finish. Everything I've said still applies. The gameplay was fun. The exploring was fun. Hunting was fun. Crafting up the gear to fully deck myself out was fun. Taking the outposts was fun. Climbing the fvcking radio towers was fun.

All in all, I give this game a 9.5/10. I think the ending should have been linear, like Arkham City. But I digress.
If you like sandbox games and you like FPS games and you like RPG elements, you'll love this.

Muh threads
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 7:59:55 PM
I found Far Cry 3 to be a very enjoyable game, but now that I've liberated the entire island (outposts and Wanted Dead missions alike), there are absolutely NO enemies outside the trials of Rakyat.

So if I want to kill someone (which is the whole reason I ever put Far Cry 3 in my PS3), I have to kill defenseless civilians or practically defenseless rebels. I can always go the trials of Rakyat (which are very fun, don't get me wrong), but in them, you have to play by each one's specific rules (ie, you don't get to choose which weapons you want to use).

I think I'll just start a new file and not liberate any outposts so that I'll always have challenging fights to go to.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 8:27:51 PM
At 2/25/2013 7:59:55 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
I found Far Cry 3 to be a very enjoyable game, but now that I've liberated the entire island (outposts and Wanted Dead missions alike), there are absolutely NO enemies outside the trials of Rakyat.

So if I want to kill someone (which is the whole reason I ever put Far Cry 3 in my PS3), I have to kill defenseless civilians or practically defenseless rebels. I can always go the trials of Rakyat (which are very fun, don't get me wrong), but in them, you have to play by each one's specific rules (ie, you don't get to choose which weapons you want to use).

I think I'll just start a new file and not liberate any outposts so that I'll always have challenging fights to go to.

I thought EXACTLY the same thing. I finished every outpost, wanted dead, supply drop and hunting mission before I continued the story. As soon as I finished it (and knowing I can't get all the relics because of a glitch that prevents one from being gotten if you don't get it before you leave your friends) I haven't felt inclined to play again.
They're working on a patch with a Master difficultly level and the ability to reset Outposts. I might do another run through when that comes out. In the meantime, I have a bunch of half-finished games to play (working on Uncharted 2 at the moment).

Muh threads
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 8:46:44 PM
At 2/25/2013 8:27:51 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/25/2013 7:59:55 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

I thought EXACTLY the same thing. I finished every outpost, wanted dead, supply drop and hunting mission before I continued the story. As soon as I finished it (and knowing I can't get all the relics because of a glitch that prevents one from being gotten if you don't get it before you leave your friends) I haven't felt inclined to play again.

Goddammit, first I've heard of this glitch. Hopefully I already got this relic (unlikely since I didn't really start gathering them until after the main story) or they'll fix this glitch.

They're working on a patch with a Master difficultly level and the ability to reset Outposts. I might do another run through when that comes out.

That would be awesome and would force me to retract what is pretty much my only criticism of the game.

In the meantime, I have a bunch of half-finished games to play (working on Uncharted 2 at the moment).

Uncharted is one of my favorite series ever (and Naughty Dog is my favorite game developing company). I assume you've already played Uncharted 1 and 3, or at least will after finishing 2?

(Oh, and if you haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, and especially if you love JRPGs, I highly recommend Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, which is the love-child of Level 5 and Studio Ghibli"think Hayao Miyazaki films. Before that game, I hadn't played a truly great JRPG since the PS2 era and Ni No Kuni can be considered nothing less than a masterpiece.)
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 8:51:47 PM
Also, getting the "Fearless or Stupid" Trophy (dive 60m underwater) was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life, thanks to my Mario 64-induced fear of being underwater in a video game. And the oceans are infested with sharks, for God's sake!
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 9:57:48 PM
At 2/25/2013 8:46:44 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
Uncharted is one of my favorite series ever (and Naughty Dog is my favorite game developing company). I assume you've already played Uncharted 1 and 3, or at least will after finishing 2?

I had ALMOST finished number 1 when I stopped playing it. Then I sold my PS3 and all my games (long story). I've bought a lot of games, including ones I'd already sold, but I can't bring myself to buy UC again, given I've read the ending and was extremely close (i didn't realise HOW close at the time. I'm DEFINITELY going to play UC3 when I finish UC2 and a few other games.

(Oh, and if you haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, and especially if you love JRPGs, I highly recommend Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, which is the love-child of Level 5 and Studio Ghibli"think Hayao Miyazaki films. Before that game, I hadn't played a truly great JRPG since the PS2 era and Ni No Kuni can be considered nothing less than a masterpiece.)

I have heard SO much about this game! I keep seeing it being reviewed everywhere. I don't think I'll play it, because I'm not a huge fan of RPGs but it's weird you mention it because I was wondering about it. What's the game style? The last non MMO JRPG I played was FFVII (does that count?)

Muh threads
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 10:52:52 PM
At 2/25/2013 9:57:48 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/25/2013 8:46:44 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

I had ALMOST finished number 1 when I stopped playing it. Then I sold my PS3 and all my games (long story). I've bought a lot of games, including ones I'd already sold, but I can't bring myself to buy UC again, given I've read the ending and was extremely close (i didn't realise HOW close at the time. I'm DEFINITELY going to play UC3 when I finish UC2 and a few other games.

U2 and 3 are amazing. Uncharted 1 is great too, but I wouldn't put in the same league as them. Still though, you gotta get it again to complete your collection! (It's gotta be, what, 10 bucks by now on ebay?)

I have heard SO much about this game! I keep seeing it being reviewed everywhere. I don't think I'll play it, because I'm not a huge fan of RPGs

I wouldn't say RPGs are my favorite genre by any means, but when done right, they can really shine beautifully (ie, Kingdom Hearts) and Ni No Kuni nails it. (Right now, it's the only RPG I have. I have Skyrim, Oblivion and Reckoning, but those are my girlfriend's. She's a much bigger fan of RPGs, but really only western ones.)

but it's weird you mention it because I was wondering about it. What's the game style? The last non MMO JRPG I played was FFVII (does that count?)

Any Final Fantasy game certainly counts as an RPG, but that's an old one lol Ni No Kuni's not turn-based like that though (I find turn-based battles rather boring and quickly tedious).

In battle, you issue commands to the main characters and their "familiars" (which are basically pokemon), and they perform that command (be it regular attacks, magic attacks, etc) and then that command has a cool-down period before you can do it again. Meanwhile, you can run around the battle field and switch between your other characters and familiars. It's a lot of fun, and there's a constant sense of progression in the game (be it either because there's practically always someone in your party about to level up, or because of the merit badges you earn per sidequest which you trade in for rare goodies, etc).