Jump to topic:

House of Cards

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 6:24:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
It's not so bad actually. There are two versions, the British and the American (both are streaming on Netflix), and I've been watching both. I give the edge to the American version, but I have some admitted bias on finding Washington more entertaining than London.

What is mildly remarkable about the American version is that it's a Netflix production, this is their first attempt at production of a series, and with Kevin Spacey as the very competent leading role, they did it right. The final episode of the first season has Dabney Coleman entering as a character. He's a good actor and will also bring more to the series than one might expect.

The British version stars Ian Richardson. I don't watch a lot of British TV, but he looks familiar enough, or perhaps just a good generic Brit, so that he too brings more to the table than others could. The British version has the added dimension of the PM doing battle with the king, which I find interesting.

There is no obvious lean toward a political party in being better than another, especially in the American version, unlike the old series West Wing. The fact that Spacey is a democrat is pretty irrelevant, as is Richardson being a tory. I recommend this for those who like political drama.
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 4:45:57 AM
Oh yes. Very well done. I'd go as far as to call it modern day Mad Men set in Capitol Hill instead of Madison Avenue of course.
#BlackLivesMatter
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 9:18:38 AM
Actually retract the political bias in the British version, where I only watched Season 1, but after watching season 2 & 3, they make the tories out to be monsters, absolutely evil.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 1:54:08 PM
Lol i made a thread about this a couple weeks back. I think Kevin Spacey deserves an emmy nomination for his performance in it. Its truly a really good show
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion