Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

need gamers' recommendation

DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 1:44:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
So I'm thinking of getting either Metal Gear Rising or DMC in a few days. What can I say, I love my action games (though I have been craving a more mentally-taxing game recently, neither of these will satisfy that).

Does anyone have any nice or not-so-nice things to say about either one? And would anyone recommend one over the other? Appreciate any responses :)
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 2:46:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think the reviews for MGR are generally better than DMC. I happen to hate the DMC franchise so I was perfectly happy with this...until I played MGR.

It's ridiculous. No, I don't mean standard Metal Gear ridiculous, I mean advanced ridiculous lol. They turned everything up to 11. The characters are zanier, the villains are cheesier, Raiden is Raidier. Also, the combat felt really weird to me. Maybe I just need more time with it but the sword has a bullet time feature where time slows and you control your slices along an x and y axis. It isn't intuitive and I just stopped using it, which sucks because that was the big feature.

I'd still get MG over DMC but that's because I'm a fan of the series in general. Are you?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 12:43:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/11/2013 2:46:18 AM, Maikuru wrote:
I think the reviews for MGR are generally better than DMC. I happen to hate the DMC franchise so I was perfectly happy with this...until I played MGR.

It's ridiculous. No, I don't mean standard Metal Gear ridiculous, I mean advanced ridiculous lol. They turned everything up to 11. The characters are zanier, the villains are cheesier, Raiden is Raidier. Also, the combat felt really weird to me. Maybe I just need more time with it but the sword has a bullet time feature where time slows and you control your slices along an x and y axis. It isn't intuitive and I just stopped using it, which sucks because that was the big feature.

I'd still get MG over DMC but that's because I'm a fan of the series in general. Are you?

I'm a fan of both series, but I'd say MG over DMC. I expect everything to be turned up to 11, as you say, since Platinum Games was in charge of developing this one. That's actually a good thing to me; I love over-the-top action nonsense.

Sucks to hear about their big feature, the precise slicing and dicing, not being as good as you expected though.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 8:13:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I love Metal Gear but I have no interest in MGR. I'll get it when it's cheap.
I also have little interest in DMC. I'm playing Tomb Raider at the moment. My review will be up soon.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 8:19:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/11/2013 8:13:00 PM, tvellalott wrote:
I love Metal Gear but I have no interest in MGR. I'll get it when it's cheap.
I also have little interest in DMC. I'm playing Tomb Raider at the moment. My review will be up soon.

I have minimal interest in either of the games that are the topic of this thread but have been following the new TR for some time now... It looks good for the most part, but I have my reservations... So I'm on the fence about whether I should invest any time in it.

I'll wait for your review before I consider it further, as you seem to have very similar taste in games as I do... So I'm looking forward to that. Your Far Cry 3 review was right on... I got it a couple weeks ago after seeing your review and I've only played about 5 hours, but I'm enjoying it a lot.
Debate.org Moderator
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 10:18:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/11/2013 8:13:00 PM, tvellalott wrote:
I love Metal Gear but I have no interest in MGR. I'll get it when it's cheap.
I also have little interest in DMC. I'm playing Tomb Raider at the moment. My review will be up soon.

Ah, I do want Tomb Raider eventually as well. Looking forward to your review on it, since we agreed almost perfectly with each other on Far Cry 3.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 10:29:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'd get DMC from what I've seen from reviews. Apparently MGR is kinda.....dumb. I dunno.

I personally am biased because I think Raiden looks and is a complete dumb@$$.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Xerge
Posts: 1,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 10:39:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/11/2013 10:29:57 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I'd get DMC from what I've seen from reviews. Apparently MGR is kinda.....dumb. I dunno.

I personally am biased because I think Raiden looks and is a complete dumb@$$.

LOL! Why do you say that, Ober? Though in Metal Gear Solid 2, he was a little...um...inexperienced and moaned a lot in the field. However, I thought he was better later on.

I hate the new DMC because of the change they did to Dante, but it did receive more favorable reviews.
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 10:53:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/11/2013 10:39:36 PM, Xerge wrote:
At 3/11/2013 10:29:57 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I'd get DMC from what I've seen from reviews. Apparently MGR is kinda.....dumb. I dunno.

I personally am biased because I think Raiden looks and is a complete dumb@$$.

LOL! Why do you say that, Ober? Though in Metal Gear Solid 2, he was a little...um...inexperienced and moaned a lot in the field. However, I thought he was better later on.

I hate the new DMC because of the change they did to Dante, but it did receive more favorable reviews.

Raiden was hot in MGS2 in that level with his shirt off. Just sayin'.