Jump to topic:

Sub or Dub?

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2013 2:49:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
For those of us who watch anime, sub or dub is either a question of no importance, or the difference between enjoying an anime and hating it. For instance, those of us who know the anime naruto, probably think that his voice in the dubbed version is like cheese graters to our ears. But thats what you get, when you have a 47 year old woman voice a teenage boy.

So, my question to you, is which do you prefer generally?

Do you prefer your animes subbed or dubbed.

Personally I prefer subtitles, because not only do you get the original voices, but you get to learn some Japanese at the same time.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Fanboy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2013 3:13:28 PM
Dub.

Subtitles are quite tedious. I actually know Japanese so the subtitles are particularly useless. Furthermore, Dub gives us greater insight into the comparison of the culture and language. However, you have to know the language of Japanese to apply.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2013 5:26:11 PM
At 3/23/2013 3:13:28 PM, Fanboy wrote:
Dub.

Subtitles are quite tedious. I actually know Japanese so the subtitles are particularly useless. Furthermore, Dub gives us greater insight into the comparison of the culture and language. However, you have to know the language of Japanese to apply.

Lucky! I'm still in college, so I don't really have time to learn Japanese. I get what you mean by the comparison between culture and language though. I find it really interesting when you have the character speaking three or four words, but it comes up on subtitles as 10-15. Or even the opposite happening. And the culture differences are quite vast. I'v noticed the Japanese are generally, for lack of a better word, prudish. Its definitely a very interesting culture. Did you find it hard to learn Japanese? And do you just speak it, or can you read Katakana and Hiragana?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 3:10:51 PM
I prefer watching dubbed anime unless the dub is bad, which is a lot of them. Chrono Crusade and Blade of the Immortal being two good examples of a horrible dub.

Although most of the stuff I've been watching lately I have to watch subbed by necessity, which I don't mind. Subtitles honestly enhance the viewing experience for me simply because you're forced to focus your attention to reading them and paying attention to the video. This leads to more retention of information.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 3:35:54 PM
I don't really mind, although most of the anime I want to watch aren't dubbed so I don't even have the choice. Naruto's dubbed voice is literally the worst thing in the universe.

I tried learning Japanese too but yeah, I've just not been able to find the time or motivation lately. It's a shame, I hope I'll get round to it eventually.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 3:40:43 PM
At 3/24/2013 3:35:54 PM, Kinesis wrote:
I don't really mind, although most of the anime I want to watch aren't dubbed so I don't even have the choice. Naruto's dubbed voice is literally the worst thing in the universe.

I tried learning Japanese too but yeah, I've just not been able to find the time or motivation lately. It's a shame, I hope I'll get round to it eventually.

LOL!

I prefer subbed because so many of the dubs I've heard are just complete garbage. At the end of the day, though, whichever way a series is when I first start it is the way I'll finish it. I can't switch from one to the other part way through; I'm already committed to the voices.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 3:41:08 PM
btw, has anyone been watching any good anime lately? I recommend fate/zero, the new hunter x hunter series and Steins;Gate (although I haven't watched most of it yet).
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 3:50:35 PM
At 3/24/2013 3:46:28 PM, Kinesis wrote:

*eye twitch*
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 3:51:44 PM

The words stopped having meaning after 30 seconds.
- lamerde

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 3:53:24 PM
At 3/24/2013 3:41:08 PM, Kinesis wrote:
btw, has anyone been watching any good anime lately? I recommend fate/zero, the new hunter x hunter series and Steins;Gate (although I haven't watched most of it yet).

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

I just started seriously watching anime again after going on hiatus for years, basically.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 3:53:52 PM
At 3/23/2013 2:49:34 PM, muzebreak wrote:
For those of us who watch anime, sub or dub is either a question of no importance, or the difference between enjoying an anime and hating it. For instance, those of us who know the anime naruto, probably think that his voice in the dubbed version is like cheese graters to our ears. But thats what you get, when you have a 47 year old woman voice a teenage boy.

Personally I prefer subtitles, because not only do you get the original voices, but you get to learn some Japanese at the same time.

RAW!
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 3:58:07 PM
Watashi wa nihongo ga hanashimasu, so it doesn't make much difference to me, but I prefer the dub if Christopher Sabat has anything to do with it.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 4:03:51 PM

Is the new hunter x hunter series like what they did with FMA: Brotherhood (which I think is better than the original)?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 4:04:15 PM
At 3/24/2013 4:01:13 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Uhhh...Watashi no namae wa Michael desu!

Damn right.

WHO TAUGHT YOU THAT?! ;)
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 4:06:17 PM
At 3/24/2013 4:04:15 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 3/24/2013 4:01:13 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Uhhh...Watashi no namae wa Michael desu!

Damn right.

WHO TAUGHT YOU THAT?! ;)

Buddhist monks. On a hill. You know how it goes.
- lamerde

tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 4:14:40 PM
Subbed. I absolutely hate the dubbed version of Sailor Moon :/ Plus I watch everything with subtitles, even in English lol
yang.
Fanboy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 5:06:03 PM
At 3/23/2013 5:26:11 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 3/23/2013 3:13:28 PM, Fanboy wrote:
Dub.

Lucky! I'm still in college, so I don't really have time to learn Japanese. I get what you mean by the comparison between culture and language though. I find it really interesting when you have the character speaking three or four words, but it comes up on subtitles as 10-15. Or even the opposite happening. And the culture differences are quite vast. I'v noticed the Japanese are generally, for lack of a better word, prudish. Its definitely a very interesting culture. Did you find it hard to learn Japanese? And do you just speak it, or can you read Katakana and Hiragana?

It was fairly easy. I grew up in Japanese home, I did Judo and Jiujitsu quite a bit. Furthermore, I learned how to write and read Katakana, but I can only read Hiragana.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 11:03:01 PM
At 3/24/2013 3:53:24 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

I just started seriously watching anime again after going on hiatus for years, basically.

I saw a debate a long time ago with the resolution that that anime is the best of all time. I looked it up on Wikipedia and checked the synopsis, and was 100% convinced that the instigator was trolling. I fully expected it to be horrible, the story seemed so childish and cliche. But...it was freakin' amazing. Seriously, it was intense as hell. The story was well executed, the action was great, the plot profound without being confusing, and a couple good twists. Where are you at on it?

I mainly stick to sub. I agree with Maikuru that most dubs are pretty bad, I'll watch episode 1 of something in english, and then japanese, and it always seems better in the latter version. Obviously there's exceptions. Probably the best dub I've seen is Welcome to the NHK. They did a great job.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 11:49:41 PM

I don't know what it is or what it wants, all I know is I believe it.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 11:55:18 PM
Subbed, though I don't what much anime.

Subbed because after a while it just seamlessly becomes second nature to read and watch.

Plus like people have said, dubbed is a lot of times horrible.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 11:58:20 PM
At 3/24/2013 11:55:18 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Subbed, though I don't what much anime.

Subbed because after a while it just seamlessly becomes second nature to read and watch.

Plus like people have said, dubbed is a lot of times horrible.

No doubt.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 12:34:20 AM
I don't think it's fair to compare good subbing to bad dubbing though. I mean, I've seen some TERRIBLE fansubs in my time, and have seen even "real" subbing be crap, even when the dubbing was good (I'm convinced my copy of Noir is some weird bootleg mishmash)
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 5:42:01 AM
At 3/24/2013 4:03:51 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Is the new hunter x hunter series like what they did with FMA: Brotherhood (which I think is better than the original)?

Exactly, the only difference is the original hunter x hunter just stopped instead of ending in filler.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 5:43:31 AM
At 3/24/2013 3:53:52 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 3/23/2013 2:49:34 PM, muzebreak wrote:

RAW!

Where does one acquire raw anime?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 6:05:53 PM
At 3/25/2013 5:42:01 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 3/24/2013 4:03:51 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Exactly, the only difference is the original hunter x hunter just stopped instead of ending in filler.

Okay, cool. How does it compare to the original?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 6:09:07 PM
At 3/24/2013 11:03:01 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 3/24/2013 3:53:24 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

I saw a debate a long time ago with the resolution that that anime is the best of all time. I looked it up on Wikipedia and checked the synopsis, and was 100% convinced that the instigator was trolling. I fully expected it to be horrible, the story seemed so childish and cliche. But...it was freakin' amazing. Seriously, it was intense as hell. The story was well executed, the action was great, the plot profound without being confusing, and a couple good twists. Where are you at on it?

I'm right there with you. I looked it up on several websites and had several friends reccomend it to me repeatedly but it just seemed so dumb to me. I just thought it was another Sailor Moon/Card Captor Sakura-esque magical girl show, and I stopped really liking Sailor Moon/CCS when I was like 10.

...I could not have been more wrong. Seriously, I was utterly wrong.

I just finished the first season. Can't wait to get on to the second one.

I mainly stick to sub. I agree with Maikuru that most dubs are pretty bad, I'll watch episode 1 of something in english, and then japanese, and it always seems better in the latter version. Obviously there's exceptions. Probably the best dub I've seen is Welcome to the NHK. They did a great job.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 7:24:02 PM
My first DDO debate was exactly on this topic, and I was the proponent of subs, as I still am atm. Dubs sound very unnatural to my eye, doesn't matter which anime it is. Besides, Japanese is a cool language, why not listen to it?
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac