Jump to topic:

Greatest Video Game Moments

johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 8:25:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
A comment from the Truthbox thread that really made me think what I would put down as my favorite video game moments. So I ask DDO, what are your personal favorites?

Note: HARDCORE SPOILERS!!!! Leave sufficient warning So we don't accidentally spoil moments for games we want to play. If you are going to post videos, be sure the title doesn't give it away for post the video as a link.

If you haven't played BioShock look away right now
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
The big reveal in BioShock has to be my favorite video game moment. In the game, you play a faceless guy known only as Jack. BioShock did just about everything right IMO. The moment when you meet Andrew Ryan and discover that everything you have to that moment was not of your own volition, but because that is what you were told to do by someone who was supposed to be your friend.

I think it really brings up a good point when it comes to video game character motivation. Play Halo and Call of Duty and what are the protagonists motivations? They do it because someone else told them to. BioShock takes that and turns it to a question about free will and player motivation in video games.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 9:09:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com...#!

That from Bioshock Infinite.

The ending of that game is really well done as well.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 9:36:49 PM
SPOILERS

When the dots of Final Fantasy VIII finally connect

When Rose's full identity is revealed in Legend of Dragoon

Lucius LeChance recruiting you into the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion

Everything Morrigan does in Dragon Age: Origins

The ending of Twilight Princess

Aeris dying in FFVII

Philippa getting her peepers ripped out in The Witcher 2

Any of the 'soul-eater' events in Suikoden

The body-switch in Chrono Cross

Master Li's betrayal in Jade Empire
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 2:15:17 AM
At 3/29/2013 9:36:49 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

OH SH!T YEAH!
One of the best twists in video game history imho.
Bioware do twists well.

The twist in KOTOR was pretty epic too.

-The Vulcan Raven fight in MGS rates amongst my favourite boss rights ever.
-Beating Zeus to fvcking death with my bare hands in GOW3.
-The conclusion of Solid Snakes story in MGS4.
-John Marsdons fate in Red Red Redemption.
-The first time Nemesis follows you through a door in RE3; in the context it's epic -because nothing like that happens in 1 or 2.

Ummm...

-The time I crashed the Playstation because I activated all the monsters at once in one particularly level of Ultra Violence Doom 2.
-When I worked out how to Rocket Jump properly.
-All of Portal
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 11:27:17 AM
At 3/30/2013 2:15:17 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 3/29/2013 9:36:49 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

OH SH!T YEAH!
One of the best twists in video game history imho.
Bioware do twists well.

Definitely. That was one of the few that completely blindsided me. I was all satisfied with myself for winning the game and saving China, then WHAM. Five-fingered death-punch to the heart from my teacher and adoptive father.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 1:09:19 PM
i was a big fan of the end of halo reach skip to 1:17 from that is what i loved
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 6:48:05 PM
At 3/29/2013 8:25:39 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
A comment from the Truthbox thread that really made me think what I would put down as my favorite video game moments. So I ask DDO, what are your personal favorites?

Note: HARDCORE SPOILERS!!!! Leave sufficient warning So we don't accidentally spoil moments for games we want to play. If you are going to post videos, be sure the title doesn't give it away for post the video as a link.

If you haven't played BioShock look away right now
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
The big reveal in BioShock has to be my favorite video game moment. In the game, you play a faceless guy known only as Jack. BioShock did just about everything right IMO. The moment when you meet Andrew Ryan and discover that everything you have to that moment was not of your own volition, but because that is what you were told to do by someone who was supposed to be your friend.

I think it really brings up a good point when it comes to video game character motivation. Play Halo and Call of Duty and what are the protagonists motivations? They do it because someone else told them to. BioShock takes that and turns it to a question about free will and player motivation in video games.

I think I actually wrote about this idea in a debate about BioShock.....

Yep. In "Philosophy and Theme." http://www.debate.org...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 3:37:23 AM
Well, these were fun lists to put together. I don't even care the only responses I'll get are "tl;dr" lol

Most Epic Moments in Story
(1) The ending of Portal 2 (That just happened...)
(2) The ending of Kingdom Hearts 1
(3) Finally making it to the end of Journey (dunno which list this belongs in so I'll just put it here)
(4) Pretty much everything that happened in Walking Dead
(5) The ending of Ico
(6) Pretty much everything in Jak and Daxter and Uncharted (love you, Naughty Dog)
(7) Any part in FFVIII when they play "The Oath"
(8) Becoming a man in Ocarina of Time
(9) All those freaking plot twists and death scenes in Tales of Symphonia; fantastic RPG
(10) Pretty much any trial in the Phoenix Wright series

Most Epic Moments in Gameplay
(1) "Step one: change the office..." (Heavy Rain)
(2) Naval battles in Assassin's Creed 3 (I was a sucker for them years ago in the pirate chapter of Sly 3, I'm a sucker for them now)
(3) Getting the Ryno V in A Crack in Time (it's my favorite version of Ryno ever; it's pretty, destructive, and loops 1812 Overture while you're firing it)
(4) Dicing people to pieces in Metal Gear Rising like you're goddam Trunks fighting Mecha-Frieza
(5) Rolling up the King in Katamari Forever (don't remember which previous game the level is from; Forever is just a compilation of previous games' levels, with only a few new ones)
(6) Fighting that gigantic army in Kingdom Hearts 2 in Hollow Bastion
(7) Figuring out how to beat the Sword Master in the original Monkey Island
(8) Doing goddam barrel rolls in Star Fox 64
(9) Being meteor-smashed in Melee and still making it back to the stage by utilizing rising pound and aerial dodge (Melee is my favorite fighter, followed by BlazBlue)
(10) Sliding around in slow-mo while blowing sh!t up, then taking a cigarette break (Vanquish)

Most Epic Details
(1) Whenever John Marston declines the advances of a whore on account of him being married
(2) The Mario cameos in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask
(3) The Wizard's Companion; seriously, I love that thing. It's a 300+ digital book you can easily navigate and I spent hours just flipping through it. (Ni No Kuni)
(4) "Henshin a Go Go, Baby!"
(5) "Kitty got wet"

There are certainly others that deserve to be on these lists, but I've written enough.
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 6:31:55 PM
The original Halo(CE, just in case people thought I didn't know).

To be specific, the level you first see the flood(blanking on the name). When I first played it as a kid that part where the... fuk I will just vid post

ANYWAYS, the beginning of that cutscene scared the sh!t outta me. I was young and playing in the dark
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men