Jump to topic:

Favorite GoT Characters

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 6:25:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Season 3 was released last week. I haven't had any time to watch the first episode, and probably will not until next summer, but I might start reading the books again in the minute amount of spare time I have.

Who are your five favorite characters and why?

My List:

1. Arya because of her strong sense of justice, her fondness of interacting with normal people, and her incredible courage. I'm not sure if there's a character I admire more than her in literature as a whole, actually.

2. Brienne because she is able to combat extreme sexism and live out her dream (to an extent) as a knight.

3. Tryion because I feel bad for him and because I found some of his lines to be particularly powerful, especially when he was on trial for Joffrey's murder.

4. The Hound because he represents the ugly truth about the society that the story is set in. Unlike the other characters, he recognizes that knights are little more than glorified assassins and thus refuses to become one (he does become an assassin though xD) He also is a fairly complex character in his own right. I don't think any other character has been able to be cruel and kind at the same time, but the Hound pulls it off fairy well.

5. Davos and Stannis.

When I was reading the series last year, I looked forward to reading Arya's, Tryion's, and Davos' chapters most. I hated reading Dany's chapters for some reason.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 9:30:42 PM
1. Tryion because he's an intellectual in an age of idiots.

2. That guy who helped Arya by killing any three people she named, because c'mon... he's badass.

3. Arya's fencing teacher: "There is only one god, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: "not today"."
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 5:55:25 PM
At 4/5/2013 6:25:40 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
3. Tryion because I feel bad for him and because I found some of his lines to be particularly powerful, especially when he was on trial for Joffrey's murder.

YOU FVCKING CVNT.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 6:11:25 PM
No seriously royal. Fvck. You.

What kind of arsehole references something so flippantly when it hasn't happened in the TV series yet? No spoiler tags. No "Don't read this if you're watching the TV series (which I'm not, I'm well ahead of it in the books)... No warning whatsoever.

You're bad and you should feel bad.

Muh threads
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 6:15:51 PM
AM I BEING CLEAR ENOUGH ROYAL?
Fvck you, you selfish b!tch. I'm going to spoil something for you. I'm going to troll your threads, find out the movies you're looking forward to, the books you're reading, the tv series you watch AND I'M GOING TO FVCKING SPOIL THEM ALL.

Muh threads
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 6:25:30 PM
I may be over reacting actually. Just talked to someone else. If anyone else has the unfortunate luck of reading this thread who doesn't know that Joffrey is going to die, it happens towards the end of Storm of Swords, so most likely towards the end of season 4.

Muh threads
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 6:55:38 PM
Aw, I was planning on reading the series.......

Meh. Why is it every time I get interested in something, it promptly gets spoiled for me?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 7:15:28 PM
At 4/8/2013 6:55:38 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Meh. Why is it every time I get interested in something, it promptly gets spoiled for me?

I still highly recommend reading it. I asked a friend who's read all the books... It isn't a super spoiler

Muh threads
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 7:17:49 PM
At 4/8/2013 7:15:28 PM, tvellalott wrote:

I still highly recommend reading it. I asked a friend who's read all the books... It isn't a super spoiler

Is the person who died the one everyone that talks about the show/books calls the little sh!t?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 7:23:05 PM
At 4/8/2013 7:17:49 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 4/8/2013 7:15:28 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Is the person who died the one everyone that talks about the show/books calls the little sh!t?

...yes.

Muh threads
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 12:05:58 AM

Lol, believe me. That's one the least significant spoilers in the series.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 12:13:28 AM
Arya, with no real competition.... but for, maybe, Serio Forel... though he doesn't figure in it for long.

I suppose Jaime and Tyrion and maybe Bronn also deserve props :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 12:15:41 AM
At 4/9/2013 12:05:58 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
That's one the least significant spoilers in the series.

Sh*t goes down!

'Specially in the latest book :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 12:18:31 AM
At 4/5/2013 6:25:40 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
4. The Hound because he represents the ugly truth about the society that the story is set in. Unlike the other characters, he recognizes that knights are little more than glorified assassins and thus refuses to become one (he does become an assassin though xD) He also is a fairly complex character in his own right. I don't think any other character has been able to be cruel and kind at the same time, but the Hound pulls it off fairy well.

The hound is good too :)

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 12:21:14 AM
At 4/9/2013 12:13:28 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Arya, with no real competition.... but for, maybe, Serio Forel... though he doesn't figure in it for long.

When I said Serio Forel... I didn't mean serio forel...

I mean, as the other poster said earlier, the guy who helped Arya kill people and break-out and such.

Metaphysics:
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 7:48:02 AM
At 4/9/2013 12:21:14 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 4/9/2013 12:13:28 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

When I said Serio Forel... I didn't mean serio forel...

I mean, as the other poster said earlier, the guy who helped Arya kill people and break-out and such.

You are thinking of Jaqen H'ghar, though there are fan-theories that Jaqen and Syrio are one and the same.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 8:15:48 AM
Mine are Tyrion because his commentry on the other characters is really insightful, Daenerys because she constantly draws the normally gritty show into a more fantastical mysterious place, which is a refreshing contrast, and Joffrey because no fictional character has ever brilliantly personified such disgusting character traits to the degree that he has.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 8:47:29 AM
Personally, mine is Jaime Lannister

- Is really the only person in the entire kingdom to actually have affection for Tyrion and treats him with the love, kindness, and respect of a brother.
- Was really the only member of King Aerys' Kingsguard to show overt concern for the King's descent into madness and the welfare of the Queen (whom the King regularly raped); not to mention objecting to the execution of Ned's father and brother.
- Assassinated King Aerys' (and others) to prevent a plot to destroy Kings' Landing (and everyone inside) with wildire
- Refused to seize the Iron Throne for himself, or give it to his father, when he coul have, instead holding it for Robert's forces.
- Saves Brienne from being raped
- Saves Brienne from being killed by a bear (for sport)
- Saves Brienne from being murdered by Loras Tyrell (which leads to Brienne and Loras' reconciliation)
- Like most anti-heroic characters, his story arc is one of redemption. Following the loss of his sword-hand, he reevaluates his life, eventually tossing off the manipulations of his sister and father and deciding to adhere to the vows and ideals of a Knight and Kingsguardsman.
- Sends Brienne to find the Stark girls to protect them from Cersei.
- Frees Tyrion from his false imprisonment.
- Peacefully and mercifully ends the the siege of Riverrun.
- Peacefully and mercifully ends the siege of Raventree hall
- Refuses the encouragement to sack Pennytree when they refuse to allow Jaime and his retinue to enter.

Compared to that, his only real crimes are:
- Attempted assassination of Bran
- Sleeping with Cersei
- Abandoning his duties as a Kingsguardsman when Tyrion is falsely accused and imprisoned for the death of Bran and Jon Arryn.

All of his "crimes" are really the result of life-long manipulation by his family. Indeed, in learning of his history, it seems that, while a willing participant in their incestuous affair, Cersei was clearly pulling Jaime's strings to get him to do things. When Jaime is no longer in the picture, Cersei doesn't hesitate to find a proxy by way of Lancel, basically doing the same thing. There is also no denying the influence of his father (who *isn't* intimidated by Tywin Lannister?).

Having freed himself from their control (Tywin being dead, ending the affair with Cersei, and refusing to respond to her pleas), he really has no vices, which cannot be said for any other character.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 9:13:32 AM
Lol you just spoiled Jaimes entire arc for those who.haven't read through ADwD yet

At 4/9/2013 8:47:29 AM, drafterman wrote:

- Is really the only person in the entire kingdom to actually have affection for Tyrion and treats him with the love, kindness, and respect of a brother.
- Was really the only member of King Aerys' Kingsguard to show overt concern for the King's descent into madness and the welfare of the Queen (whom the King regularly raped);

No he wasn't; all members of the kingsguard were troubled by Aeryss's transgressions. They just thought their duty.as kingsguard outweighed their troubled consciences.

not to mention objecting to the execution of Ned's father and brother.
- Assassinated King Aerys' (and others) to prevent a plot to destroy Kings' Landing (and everyone inside) with wildire

His intentions in killing Aerys weren't so entirely noble.

- Refused to seize the Iron Throne for himself, or give it to his father, when he coul have, instead holding it for Robert's forces.
- Saves Brienne from being raped
- Saves Brienne from being killed by a bear (for sport)
- Saves Brienne from being murdered by Loras Tyrell (which leads to Brienne and Loras' reconciliation)
- Like most anti-heroic characters, his story arc is one of redemption. Following the loss of his sword-hand, he reevaluates his life, eventually tossing off the manipulations of his sister and father and deciding to adhere to the vows and ideals of a Knight and Kingsguardsman.
- Sends Brienne to find the Stark girls to protect them from Cersei.
- Frees Tyrion from his false imprisonment.
- Peacefully and mercifully ends the the siege of Riverrun.
- Peacefully and mercifully ends the siege of Raventree hall
- Refuses the encouragement to sack Pennytree when they refuse to allow Jaime and his retinue to enter.

Compared to that, his only real crimes are:
- Attempted assassination of Bran
- Sleeping with Cersei
- Abandoning his duties as a Kingsguardsman when Tyrion is falsely accused and imprisoned for the death of Bran and Jon Arryn.

All of his "crimes" are really the result of life-long manipulation by his family. Indeed, in learning of his history, it seems that, while a willing participant in their incestuous affair, Cersei was clearly pulling Jaime's strings to get him to do things. When Jaime is no longer in the picture, Cersei doesn't hesitate to find a proxy by way of Lancel, basically doing the same thing. There is also no denying the influence of his father (who *isn't* intimidated by Tywin Lannister?).

Having freed himself from their control (Tywin being dead, ending the affair with Cersei, and refusing to respond to her pleas), he really has no vices, which cannot be said for any other character.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 9:34:36 AM
If one of your favorite characters isn't Arya you.should feel like a terrible.person.

Ser Duncan the Tall, Rhaegar Targaryen, Euron Crow's Eye, Victarion Greyhoy, Asha Greyjoy,.Tyrion.Lannister, Jaime Lannister,Robb Stark, Ser Beric Dondarrion, Ser Barristan Selmy, Daenerys Targaryem, Bran Stark, Jon Snow, Strong Belwas, Samwell Tarly, The Red Viper, Doran Martell, some of the Sand Snakes (like Sarella), Jaqen/Syrio Jojen and Meera Reed, Ser Davos Seaworth....etc I could go on all day.

I like all those characters. My favorite is Arya, though. Nymeria is clearly the most BA of all the wolves anyway...
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 10:16:14 AM
At 4/9/2013 9:13:32 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Lol you just spoiled Jaimes entire arc for those who.haven't read through ADwD yet

At 4/9/2013 8:47:29 AM, drafterman wrote:

- Was really the only member of King Aerys' Kingsguard to show overt concern for the King's descent into madness and the welfare of the Queen (whom the King regularly raped);

No he wasn't; all members of the kingsguard were troubled by Aeryss's transgressions. They just thought their duty.as kingsguard outweighed their troubled consciences.

I said "overt."
Every time Jaime expressed concern at the King's behavior, he was admonished by his fellow Kingsguard. Yes, whatever their feelings were, they kept it internal, and Jaime didn't, and that's the point.

not to mention objecting to the execution of Ned's father and brother.

His intentions in killing Aerys weren't so entirely noble.

Ok, what were the ignoble components of his intentions? Not glory, as he kept the story a secret. Not to ascend the throne, as he passed that opportunity over. Not to give the throne to his father. Neither was it out of blood lust. The only other component was that Aerys commanded him to kill his own father, which is hardly ignoble.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 6:47:03 PM
I'm just not going to read this thread any more. Thankfully drafter warned me on Facebook not to read his post so I didn't see any of the Jaime spoilers.

Muh threads
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2013 6:06:18 AM
At 4/8/2013 6:11:25 PM, tvellalott wrote:

What kind of arsehole references something so flippantly when it hasn't happened in the TV series yet? No spoiler tags. No "Don't read this if you're watching the TV series (which I'm not, I'm well ahead of it in the books)... No warning whatsoever.

Wow, seriously? Relax . . . I'm sorry; I'm not watching the TV show right now because I have so much work to do, and I didn't even realize that I was giving away material. Sorry about that.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2013 8:20:01 AM
Bran's is also a compelling story.

Metaphysics:
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2013 10:35:27 AM
At 4/14/2013 6:06:18 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/8/2013 6:11:25 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Wow, seriously? Relax . . . I'm sorry; I'm not watching the TV show right now because I have so much work to do, and I didn't even realize that I was giving away material. Sorry about that.

I am going to second tv.

You start the thread talking about the tv show then drop a major spoiler from the books regarding something that hasnt happened in the show yet.

I think everyone gets one free pass, but now you know better so from now on give a spoiler warning or clearly state what material is up for discussion.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2013 10:47:07 AM
Since this thread seems to open game for material in all the books:

I am a stalwart Dany supporter. She can dick around in Mereen all she wants as long as she wises up and cleanses Westeros in storm of dragon fire.

After SoS I am just done with the Starks. As endearing as they are, they are so freaking incompetent. You connect with the Starks on a personal level, but when you consider the family as rulers I feel like it is pretty hard to justify them as a good family to stand behind. There was a small flicker of hope that lasted through DwD but I think we all know how that turned out...

So yeah my favorites are Dany and the Lannisters.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2013 5:50:28 AM
At 4/14/2013 10:47:07 AM, Raisor wrote:
Since this thread seems to open game for material in all the books:

I am a stalwart Dany supporter. She can dick around in Mereen all she wants as long as she wises up and cleanses Westeros in storm of dragon fire.

After SoS I am just done with the Starks. As endearing as they are, they are so freaking incompetent. You connect with the Starks on a personal level, but when you consider the family as rulers I feel like it is pretty hard to justify them as a good family to stand behind. There was a small flicker of hope that lasted through DwD but I think we all know how that turned out...

So yeah my favorites are Dany and the Lannisters.

The Lannisters, in general, are evil . . . I wouldn't want any of them to rule.