Jump to topic:

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2013 9:31:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It has occurred to me that even after all the debates, pony avatars, and FREEDO himself having a link to ponychan in his signature, there's no My Little Pony board.

So here it is, DDO.

Bronies, unite! /)
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2013 9:41:37 PM
At 4/15/2013 9:31:30 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
It has occurred to me that even after all the debates, pony avatars, and FREEDO himself having a link to ponychan in his signature, there's no My Little Pony board.

Okay, I just clicked on that link and was sadly mistaken. I'll just go somewhere else now.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2013 10:51:23 PM

So here it is, DDO.

Bronies, unite! /)

What is the appeal of My Little Pony?
Tsar of DDO
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 10:50:46 AM

The fandom likes the show for its animation quality and well-developed characters and plot. Also, they make a few meme references here and there. There's a pony called "Derpy".
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 11:37:22 AM
Its when grown men feel so insecure about watching a littles girls tv show they have to make themselves into a group. Pathetic.
#BlackLivesMatter
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 11:40:20 AM

So here it is, DDO.

Bronies, unite! /)

Please not that. I am in a thread battle with a guy here who rocks the pony avatar. He may be a little bit odd if you know what I mean. =)_
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 11:48:38 AM
At 4/16/2013 10:50:46 AM, MassiveDump wrote:

The fandom likes the show for its animation quality and well-developed characters and plot. Also, they make a few meme references here and there. There's a pony called "Derpy".

Interesting. I guess if that's what you like, more power to you. The only animated show I watch though is Archer...
Tsar of DDO
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 12:04:19 PM
At 4/16/2013 11:48:38 AM, YYW wrote:
At 4/16/2013 10:50:46 AM, MassiveDump wrote:

Interesting. I guess if that's what you like, more power to you. The only animated show I watch though is Archer...

My favorite show.
#BlackLivesMatter
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 4:54:04 PM
At 4/16/2013 11:37:22 AM, Agent_Orange wrote:
Its when people have interests and other people don't get it so they have to act superior so the interest looks stupid. Pathetic.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 2:15:52 AM
It's well made, art, writing and voice acting wise. I watched a bit out of curiousity.
It's girlie as hell though. I'm waiting for my daughters to get a bit older so I have an excuse to watch it. :P
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 6:57:37 AM
At 4/17/2013 2:15:52 AM, tvellalott wrote:
I'm waiting for my daughters to get a bit older so I have an excuse to watch it. :P

I'm fortunate enough to have a million bronies and pegasisters at my school, so for me there's no excuse needed x3
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 12:14:01 PM
At 4/16/2013 4:54:04 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
Its when people have interests and other people don't get it so they have to act superior so the interest looks stupid. Pathetic.

I actually wouldn't mind what you watched, but you bronies are so damn aggressive with your fandom. And why do you even need to be in a group? That, to me, screams insecurity. I LOVE the powerpuff girls but I don't need to go to conventions to make myself feel normal.
#BlackLivesMatter
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 12:28:49 PM
At 4/17/2013 6:57:37 AM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 4/17/2013 2:15:52 AM, tvellalott wrote:
I'm waiting for my daughters to get a bit older so I have an excuse to watch it. :P

I'm fortunate enough to have a million bronies and pegasisters at my school, so for me there's no excuse needed x3

You're an actual Brony? -_-
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 12:29:50 PM
At 4/17/2013 12:14:01 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:

I actually wouldn't mind what you watched, but you bronies are so damn aggressive with your fandom. And why do you even need to be in a group? That, to me, screams insecurity. I LOVE the powerpuff girls but I don't need to go to conventions to make myself feel normal.

And no one makes threads and goes around saying "Power Puffs unite" like Bronies do...

Ostentatiously saying you're a fan of something is annoying and begets a deeper problem...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 12:35:03 PM

That was unnecessarily harsh. People like what they like, and that's fine. I don't understand the appeal of My Little Pony or Power Puff Girls (btw. I actually had to google that, because I didn't know what it was), but to each their own.
Tsar of DDO
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 12:58:06 PM
At 4/17/2013 12:35:03 PM, YYW wrote:

That was unnecessarily harsh. People like what they like, and that's fine. I don't understand the appeal of My Little Pony or Power Puff Girls (btw. I actually had to google that, because I didn't know what it was), but to each their own.

You missed the point. I don't care if he watches my little pony. I myself am a huge fan of a similar show( although I haven't watched it in like 10+ years). I'm just annoyed about how insecure they are.
#BlackLivesMatter
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 1:06:56 PM
At 4/17/2013 12:58:06 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:

You missed the point. I don't care if he watches my little pony. I myself am a huge fan of a similar show( although I haven't watched it in like 10+ years). I'm just annoyed about how insecure they are.

Actually I didn't, but I can see how you would have drawn that conclusion. I was taking issue with your saying that being part of a group screams insecurity. People like what they like, and want to be around others who hold a common interest. That's fine.
Tsar of DDO
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 1:10:21 PM
I would rather tear off my d*ck and throw it into a river then watch 10 minutes of any MLPFIM episode, for the record
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 1:19:57 PM
At 4/17/2013 1:10:21 PM, imabench wrote:
I would rather tear off my d*ck and throw it into a river then watch 10 minutes of any MLPFIM episode, for the record

So, ten minutes of My Little Pony is worse than no sex for the rest of your life.

Interesting. I must know what is so bad about it now.

*goes to youtube*
Tsar of DDO
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 1:56:13 PM
At 4/17/2013 1:10:21 PM, imabench wrote:

I second this notion.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 2:14:23 PM
At 4/17/2013 1:06:56 PM, YYW wrote:

Actually I didn't, but I can see how you would have drawn that conclusion. I was taking issue with your saying that being part of a group screams insecurity. People like what they like, and want to be around others who hold a common interest. That's fine.

Not a brony, but I've seen a couple episodes and can understand why people like the show. I'm with YYW, though. I think it's just conjecture that they group together out of insecurity. The only reason that anyone would single this out over sports fans or whatever other interest group is because there is an acknowledged stigma against older guys participating in something regarded as intended for young girls. It could be the case that they're perfectly confident, but just as ostentatious in their displays as any other fanbase in-group. I mean, have you ever been to a football game or met a big Twilight fan? You can actually get hurt speaking ill of those things to fans' faces.

But, insofar as they are being defensive because of insecurity, can you blame them? Not everybody thinks taste is impossible to account for, and the average derp is pretty likely to stigmatize for having statistically abnormal preferences because mainstream culture is a much larger in-group. And I mean, MLP is probably not the first thing these guys would have been teased for. It's like sending a message to women not to be insecure about their appearance: sure, I imagine it will stick for a few people, but insecurity is usually manufactured--girls might be scolded for being too tomboyish or wearing "unflattering" clothes, and boys might be routinely picked on for playing house or with dolls instead of reading comic books and playing XBox.

tl;dr Being reassuring is a lot better than stigmatizing them for responding negatively to being stigmatized--I mean, if they're really insecure, would calling them pathetic really be the way to go? Doubtful. But maybe you're familiar with insecurity?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 2:35:42 PM
At 4/17/2013 2:14:23 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Not a brony, but I've seen a couple episodes and can understand why people like the show. I'm with YYW, though. I think it's just conjecture that they group together out of insecurity. The only reason that anyone would single this out over sports fans or whatever other interest group is because there is an acknowledged stigma against older guys participating in something regarded as intended for young girls. It could be the case that they're perfectly confident, but just as ostentatious in their displays as any other fanbase in-group. I mean, have you ever been to a football game or met a big Twilight fan? You can actually get hurt speaking ill of those things to fans' faces.

But, insofar as they are being defensive because of insecurity, can you blame them? Not everybody thinks taste is impossible to account for, and the average derp is pretty likely to stigmatize for having statistically abnormal preferences because mainstream culture is a much larger in-group. And I mean, MLP is probably not the first thing these guys would have been teased for. It's like sending a message to women not to be insecure about their appearance: sure, I imagine it will stick for a few people, but insecurity is usually manufactured--girls might be scolded for being too tomboyish or wearing "unflattering" clothes, and boys might be routinely picked on for playing house or with dolls instead of reading comic books and playing XBox.

tl;dr Being reassuring is a lot better than stigmatizing them for responding negatively to being stigmatized--I mean, if they're really insecure, would calling them pathetic really be the way to go? Doubtful. But maybe you're familiar with insecurity?

Darn why'd you have to ruin our fun of making fun of Bronies? ...

Not cool bro. Marshing the mellow that way.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 2:38:04 PM
At 4/17/2013 2:35:42 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Because Cody runs this bitch.
Tsar of DDO
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 2:42:54 PM
At 4/17/2013 2:38:04 PM, YYW wrote:
At 4/17/2013 2:35:42 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Because Cody runs this bitch.

Truth.
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 3:50:25 PM

Oh I'm the assh0le? Because I called them insecure? Why the sh!t does it matter what I think? I'm nobody. But you're right, calling them pathetic was a d!ck move and for that, brony dude, I apologize.

I just really don't like the "hey lOOK AT US"-ness of brony culture. Again no other TV show fan bases has a pet name for themselves. I don't call myself a "Mad Man". Nobody gives a sh!t if I think Roger should kick Pete's a$$. It just feels like they're doing it to stand out, which annoys me. If you're different be different, you don't have to make sure everyone else knows it too.
#BlackLivesMatter
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 4:11:57 PM
At 4/17/2013 3:50:25 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:

Oh I'm the assh0le? Because I called them insecure? Why the sh!t does it matter what I think? I'm nobody. But you're right, calling them pathetic was a d!ck move and for that, brony dude, I apologize.

I just really don't like the "hey lOOK AT US"-ness of brony culture. Again no other TV show fan bases has a pet name for themselves. I don't call myself a "Mad Man". Nobody gives a sh!t if I think Roger should kick Pete's a$$. It just feels like they're doing it to stand out, which annoys me. If you're different be different, you don't have to make sure everyone else knows it too.

I wasn't going for "hey look at us", I'm not like some vegetarian or something, I just know there are others here who appreciate the show and I thought I'd initiate a topic for them.
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 4:13:48 PM
At 4/17/2013 4:11:57 PM, MassiveDump wrote:

I wasn't going for "hey look at us", I'm not like some vegetarian or something, I just know there are others here who appreciate the show and I thought I'd initiate a topic for them.

That's true. Again, I apologize. I spoke out of line.
#BlackLivesMatter
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 4:18:33 PM
Apology fully accepted.

Anyways, here's what I'd recommend for first-time viewers. A villain that's pretty badass for a kid's show, and a very strong reference to "chocolate rain".
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 4:29:00 PM

I fvcking love Mad Men. As a side note, Pete has a punchable quality about him such that every time I see him, I just want to watch him get hit in the face.
Tsar of DDO
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 6:53:09 PM
Again no other TV show fan bases has a pet name for themselves.

Trekies.

Check mate.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...