Jump to topic:

All American Country and Western

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 5:30:29 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Lol. No, why would Lily Allen be considered American country music? Especially 'Not Fair' - not exactly espousing good Christian values, is it?

But, I know a good remix of that song.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 5:43:36 PM
So Country as a genre is defined by Christianity?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 5:45:21 PM
At 11/20/2009 5:43:36 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
So Country as a genre is defined by Christianity?

No, but it is a heavy characteristic of American country songs. It isn't necessarily the defining quality, but it certainly is present.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 5:46:59 PM
My grandparents listen to country, doesn't sound all that Christian to me.

Granted, this is not among what I've heard them listen to either.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 6:00:23 PM
At 11/20/2009 5:30:29 PM, Volkov wrote:
Lol. No, why would Lily Allen be considered American country music? Especially 'Not Fair' - not exactly espousing good Christian values, is it?

But, I know a good remix of that song.

That's quite good. So, is Lily Allen well known in Canada?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 6:01:46 PM
At 11/20/2009 6:00:23 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
That's quite good. So, is Lily Allen well known in Canada?

Not tremendously well-known, but she has her fan base here and there, I suppose. I only heard of this remix on a radio programme during my long summer work hours when I was bored out of my skull.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 6:03:04 PM
Wiki's article on country doesn't seem to have a single instance of the letter combo "Chri".
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 6:11:48 PM
At 11/20/2009 6:03:04 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Wiki's article on country doesn't seem to have a single instance of the letter combo "Chri".

You're right, I must be wrong. Oh, but I guess you didn't see the numerous references to country being "gospel" music. And in Gospel's wiki article, you can find many, many references to Christianity, and not only fleeting - it literally defines it.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 6:13:56 PM
You mean the references that say it was a formative influence-- and the references that say it remained a popular component under the subheader "the 1920's?"
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 6:14:58 PM
Excuse me, 1940's to 1950's.

Either way, a lot of time has passed, and that's merely "popular component."
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 6:15:17 PM
grr, 1930's to 1940's.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 6:17:09 PM
Further, your definition seems to exclude outlaw country, which by definition is incompatible with Christian teachings (Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's)
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 6:20:28 PM
At 11/20/2009 6:17:09 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Further, your definition seems to exclude outlaw country, which by definition is incompatible with Christian teachings (Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's)

I never said that modern country was completely enthralled with Christianity - but there is a good portion of it that is, which is something you can't deny.

Plus, what is the stereotype? Yokel Southern Christians. Everyone knows it, and everyone makes fun of it, including myself.

And, are you having problems with your keyboard there?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 6:25:00 PM
At 11/20/2009 6:20:28 PM, Volkov wrote:

I never said that modern country was completely enthralled with Christianity - but there is a good portion of it that is, which is something you can't deny.
I haven't actually seen that portion.

Plus, what is the stereotype? Yokel Southern Christians. Everyone knows it, and everyone makes fun of it, including myself.
The stereotype is redneck. Rednecks stereotypically attend church-- not necessarily live up to what they learn there, indeed, almost by definition they make peace with sinning unrepentantly, certainly at least to the same extent that the originally posted video you criticized as not being Christian enough does. Yokel? Wtf is that? Maybe Canadians still use that word. :)
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 6:31:26 PM
At 11/20/2009 6:25:00 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Its there. I had to live through five years of it.

The stereotype is redneck. Rednecks stereotypically attend church-- not necessarily live up to what they learn there, indeed, almost by definition they make peace with sinning unrepentantly, certainly at least to the same extent that the originally posted video you criticized as not being Christian enough does.

I would disagree. The redneck stereotype can be about sinning, yes, but I don't follow the "unrepentantly" line. The Christian aspect is mixed in for repentance. And Lily Allen certainly doesn't seem repentant.

Yokel? Wtf is that? Maybe Canadians still use that word. :)

Trying to say something about my lingo, eh?
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 6:32:51 PM
At 11/20/2009 6:25:00 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 11/20/2009 6:20:28 PM, Volkov wrote:

The stereotype is redneck. Rednecks stereotypically attend church-- not necessarily live up to what they learn there, indeed, almost by definition they make peace with sinning unrepentantly, certainly at least to the same extent that the originally posted video you criticized as not being Christian enough does. Yokel? Wtf is that? Maybe Canadians still use that word. :)

I don't know about Canadians but in England 'yokel' is one of the the most common terms to describe someone from the countryside: after carrot-cruncher; clod-hopper and turnip-muncher.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 6:35:52 PM
At 11/20/2009 6:32:51 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I don't know about Canadians but in England 'yokel' is one of the the most common terms to describe someone from the countryside: after carrot-cruncher; clod-hopper and turnip-muncher.

Lol @ clod-hopper.

Oh, how I miss my days on an English chat site. So many good words.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 6:39:31 PM
So you're saying Larry the Cable Guy, and Jeff Foxworthy, as comedians who make their careers on the stereotype and are probably the biggest experts on how to be a "Redneck," are repentant?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 6:45:46 PM
At 11/20/2009 6:39:31 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
So you're saying Larry the Cable Guy, and Jeff Foxworthy, as comedians who make their careers on the stereotype and are probably the biggest experts on how to be a "Redneck," are repentant?

They make a living on the stereotype of stupidity and classic backwardness that is associated with rednecks - Larry the Cable Guy more so. Foxworthy, on the other hand, has been known to make references to the religious aspect associated with the Redneck stereotype.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 7:22:59 PM
Didn't answer the question.