Jump to topic:

Silver Linings Playbook

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 3:05:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I found this to be the shining example of what a love story really is. It's center on human imperfection is masterful and really brings out the whole beauty of it. Do you agree?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 3:23:13 AM
At 5/3/2013 3:14:59 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/3/2013 3:05:50 AM, Smithereens wrote:
?

nac

It's a movie.

That's probably why I know nothing of it...
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 3:24:52 AM
At 5/3/2013 3:23:13 AM, Smithereens wrote:
That's probably why I know nothing of it...

Do you not watch movies or something?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 4:26:32 AM
At 5/3/2013 3:05:23 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I found this to be the shining example of what a love story really is. It's center on human imperfection is masterful and really brings out the whole beauty of it. Do you agree?

Silly FREEDO. Real love stories feature incredibly attractive and perfect people with no shortcoming who are must overcome some sort of adversity and love each other no matter what!
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 7:38:35 AM
At 5/3/2013 4:26:32 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 5/3/2013 3:05:23 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Silly FREEDO. Real love stories feature incredibly attractive and perfect people with no shortcoming who are must overcome some sort of adversity and love each other no matter what!

Um yeah, that's pretty much describing the movie... For that guy to even HAVE to take time fall in love with that incredibly hot chick was kind of hard to believe in the first place, no guy IRL would have to take a whole movie to realize it.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 3:17:24 PM
At 5/3/2013 7:38:35 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Um yeah, that's pretty much describing the movie... For that guy to even HAVE to take time fall in love with that incredibly hot chick was kind of hard to believe in the first place, no guy IRL would have to take a whole movie to realize it.

I think that's a gross generalization. He's delusionally obsessed with his absent wife. You can find someone attractive without falling in love with them.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 1:02:40 AM
I thought it was an incredibly insightful movie to a topic that generally stigmatized and taboo (mental health). My only problem with it was the constant shouting. But I fell in love with Jennifer Lawrence, thanks to that movie.

I watched it in theatres so it's been a while, but from what I remember, I especially liked the parallels between Patrick Jr. and his parents... and the fact that, while he has the "mental illness" label, nearly everyone in his life is just as crazy.
yang.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 3:33:00 PM
At 5/4/2013 1:02:40 AM, tulle wrote:
I thought it was an incredibly insightful movie to a topic that generally stigmatized and taboo (mental health). My only problem with it was the constant shouting. But I fell in love with Jennifer Lawrence, thanks to that movie.

I watched it in theatres so it's been a while, but from what I remember, I especially liked the parallels between Patrick Jr. and his parents... and the fact that, while he has the "mental illness" label, nearly everyone in his life is just as crazy.

Just watched it last night and pretty much with tulle. The OCD of De Niro's character with the handkerchief was the overt questioning of societal labeling and who gets to define crazy in a crazy world. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper were outstanding.