Jump to topic:

By the Light of the Moon Chapter 1

Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 4:36:15 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
So lately, given that my work schedule has changed, and I suddenly find myself up at odd times of the night now, I've recently started writing more often either out of sheer boredom, or because my creativity reaches its peak late at night. I'm leaning moreso towards sheer boredom but I guess rather than just let what I've been writing just sit there, I've decided to start posting what I've been writing in a serial novel format for y'alls enjoyment, or mocking and condescension, your choice.

Feel free to post your thoughts and critiques, they would all be more then appreciated!
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 4:40:10 AM
By the Light of the Moon

Chapter 1

"Oh for chrissakes!" He shouted, smacking the GPS hanging off the front console onto the car floor. It was time he replaced the piece of junk, but his nasty habit of procrastination had led to him still having it months after it ought to have been replaced. It had been well over an hour since he had turned off of the highway due to the construction he had the poor luck to encounter. Over an hour in which the god awful GPS had taken him down these back-woods, Podunk country roads, all the while showing that he would be back to the highway in a short ten minutes.

"I shouldn't even be in this situation right now," he muttered under his breath. It was the holiday season, and though he hadn't wanted to visit anyone this year, his family had begged for him to visit this year, and after rejecting them multiple times, he had finally acquiesced and agreed to go. As if that was exactly what he considered to be the perfect way to spend Christmas. Yes, spending days with his annoying parents, as they grilled him about every small detail of his personal life.

"How is your job?"
"Have you met a nice woman yet?"
"When are you going to finally settle down and start a family?"
"You know you can't live alone your entire life."

And the questions would go on and on. Every time he visited he felt as if he were under interrogation of the inquisition. They meant well, but for the love of God, he was only 32, and its not as if his life were a waste just because he still hadn't started a family. But thats the price you pay when you have parents that were married right out of High School.

He looked around as he drove down the road and saw nothing but the same that he had for the past half hour. The rolling farmlands dusted in powdery snow had turned into thick forests. The tree cover overhung the road, casting the surroundings in perpetual shadow. He would not even be able to tell it was the afternoon if it weren't for the clock in his car. He had not even seen a road sign for miles, and was completely lost. His temper was starting to rise, like water boiling in a kettle.

Then, a glimpse of hope. He saw a sign on the side of the road, barely visible in the thick brush surrounding the roadside. He couldn't discern what the sign was for as he passed it, so he quickly pulled over to the side of the road, and exited his car.

It was chilly, and the light jacket he had decided to wear was far from sufficient in keeping the bitter cold from seeping the heat from his body. Arms crossed, trying to warm his hands, he walked up to the sign, and was immediately dejected.

The sign was wooden and decrepit. It looked like it had been sitting in the same spot for decades, with no maintenance whatsoever. The paint on the sign had faded over the years, and parts of it were completely missing.

"Whi--ans Cro--ing Turn left Five Mi-es"

"What the fvck," he shouted, "This place, whatever the fvck its called probably doesnt even exist anymore!" He slammed his fist against the sign, and turned around. Comically, as he was walking back towards his car, he could hear the road sign fall over, crashing to the ground with a thud. Chuckling he got back in his car and thats when he saw that his gas tank was nearing empty. As if this situation couldn't get any worse...

Starting up his car, he drove off down the road. Now with no choice but to hope that there was a gas station at the whatever place the sign was directing passerby's towards. Soon enough he came up on the turn, almost passing by it, as the day had quickly turned into dusk, the little light that made its way through the treetops, all but gone. Snow had begun to fall, piling onto the powder that was already on the ground.

As he continued down the road, the pavement turned into gravel, jostling his car, and him as well. His hopes of there being a gas station as the place he was driving towards, lowered even more then it had already been at before. For the next 10 minutes he drove on, the road, or rather, lackthereof, snaking its way through the forest.

It was now completely dark, not even the moons pale light managing to penetrate the tree-cover. His headlights the only thing preventing him from being completely blind. Which was bad enough, but the snow had picked up in intensity as well, decreasing the distance he could see even more.

Still he continued on, his gas gauge now fully in the red. He would be running out soon, and was praying he would make it to wherever the sign had directed him to soon, or else he would be forced to walk. As he was turning around a corner suddenly an animal ran in front of his car. For a split moment, before he veered to avoid hitting it, he locked eyes with the creature.

It was a wolf, pure white fur, eyes, piercing eyes, bright yellow in color. The eyes seemingly possessed an intelligence beyond that of a normal canine. They were captivating, enthralling, and terrifying all at the same time. It was as if they were gazing right into his very soul, cutting into the core of his inner being.

Veering off, the car began fish tailing in the snow mixed gravel. He tried to gain control again, but was suddenly thrashed about, as his car rolled over. The screeching sound of metal bending, explosions from his windows shattering, cut out through the night loudly. His head slammed into the steering wheel and he was knocked unconscious immediately. The car barreled over a couple more times, until it finally came to a rest, upside down. Silence came once more, as the snow continued to fall...

He awoke with a groan. Laying on the roof, or now what was the floor of his car. He could hear the wind gusting outside of his car, cutting through the broken windows, sapping the heat from his body. His head was pounding with intense pain. He put his hand to the top of his head, and yelled out as the already intense pain, doubled, paralyzing him for a few moments. He pulled his hand away, and looked at it. It was covered in blood.

He slowly crawled out of his car. His hands were beginning to numb from the cold. Attempting to stand up, his leg burst with pain, and he collapsed again, almost drifting into unconsciousness again. Looking at his leg, he cringed. He could see bone sticking out in multiple places on his thigh and shin. He was bleeding profusely from it, and knew that there was no way he would be able to walk with in in that condition.

Despair began to sweep across his mind, like shadows as the sun sets. He was going to die here, oh god, why couldn't he just have stayed home? A sudden rustling in the brush drew his attention. Looking over he saw it, the wolf from before! Its yellow eyes gazing intensely at him.

"Get the fvck back!" He shouted, grabbing a shard of glass and throwing it weakly. It landed on the ground, nowhere near the wolf. He began to laugh in despair at the situation. Here he was, unable to move, likely going to die, and the wolf who had caused this, by running in front of him, was just standing there, staring at him as he slowly bled out.

Suddenly the wolf raised its head, and let loose a bone-chilling howl. It was quickly responded by multiple other howls off in the distance.

"Calling your friends over for a meal huh?" He chuckled, "well you know what? Fvck you and fvck your friends!"

He lay there for another few minutes, his vision slowly clouding. Soon enough he knew he would drift back into unconsciousness. He prayed it would only happen before the other wolves that had howled in the distance arrived and they began feeding on him. As he drifted away, he could see wolves appear out of the forest from behind the original wolf, who still stood there staring. It began slowly walking towards him, and was soon feet away. The last thing he saw before passing out again, was those eyes, those yellow eyes...
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Sola.Gratia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 7:42:32 PM
How interestingly sad to know of the mans annoyance to his families concern for him..
Why on earth would someone go to a place they're not familiar with? Or why didn't this man pack up some gas with him or something to be prepared? Confusing guy lol..
Must've been exhilaratingly dreadful to meet the eyes of this wolf just glaring at him..

Very well written Buddamoose..
"What is sin? It is the glory of God not honored. Holiness of God not reverenced. Greatness of God not admired. Power of God not praised. Truth of God not sought. Wisdom of God not esteemed. Beauty of God not treasured. Goodness of God not savored. Faithfulness of God not trusted. Commandments of God not obeyed. Justice of God not respected. Wrath of God not feared. Grace of God not cherished. Presence of God not prized. Person of God not loved. That is sin." ~John Piper
Sola.Gratia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 7:45:13 PM
All because of tht wolf he crashed and had to be a Foot away
From that wolf when it was howling for the others... Idk what I would've been thinking if I was in his position?.. I probably would've been crying or yelling while passing out as he was passing out.. Poor guy.. I wonder happens next??...
"What is sin? It is the glory of God not honored. Holiness of God not reverenced. Greatness of God not admired. Power of God not praised. Truth of God not sought. Wisdom of God not esteemed. Beauty of God not treasured. Goodness of God not savored. Faithfulness of God not trusted. Commandments of God not obeyed. Justice of God not respected. Wrath of God not feared. Grace of God not cherished. Presence of God not prized. Person of God not loved. That is sin." ~John Piper