Jump to topic:

Why do people hate Justin Bieber?

Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 4:01:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I get not caring for him at all, but where does the actual hatred come from?
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 4:12:45 PM
At 6/1/2013 4:01:43 PM, Ragnar wrote:

I hate his music more than I hate him, and I hate the fact that it is more popular than the work of musicians who write work which is actually thought-provoking and poetic more than I hate the music per se. But the hatred comes from a sense of aesthetics which is repulsed by the trite and simple nonsense which is peddled by the modern music industry. It's not really personal. Now I'm not particularly impressed with him as a person, but it takes a lot for me to hate someone on a personal level, and I don't understand people who hurl their loathing at every slightly annoying person who crosses their path. Abhorrence, in my opinion, sort of like love in that it's a special emotion that should be reserved for those few people who have really earned it. One shouldn't cast one's pearl inlaid daggers before swine, so to speak.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 4:27:22 PM
At 6/1/2013 4:12:45 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I hate his music more than I hate him, and I hate the fact that it is more popular than the work of musicians who write work which is actually thought-provoking and poetic more than I hate the music per se. But the hatred comes from a sense of aesthetics which is repulsed by the trite and simple nonsense which is peddled by the modern music industry. It's not really personal. Now I'm not particularly impressed with him as a person, but it takes a lot for me to hate someone on a personal level, and I don't understand people who hurl their loathing at every slightly annoying person who crosses their path. Abhorrence, in my opinion, sort of like love in that it's a special emotion that should be reserved for those few people who have really earned it. One shouldn't cast one's pearl inlaid daggers before swine, so to speak.

U JELLY?
0x5f3759df
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 4:33:26 PM
At 6/1/2013 4:27:22 PM, Bullish wrote:

U JELLY?

No. Jealousy, like worrying, is an exercise in futility. The whole 'sour grapes' mentality, applied to this situation, would be predicated on my finding Mr. Bieber's current lifestyle to be envious, and would require me to denounce him personally. Seeing as I neither desire to be like him or hate him personally, I fail to see how this particular concept applies.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 4:55:49 PM
At 6/1/2013 4:33:26 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

U JELLY?

No. Jealousy, like worrying, is an exercise in futility. The whole 'sour grapes' mentality, applied to this situation, would be predicated on my finding Mr. Bieber's current lifestyle to be envious, and would require me to denounce him personally. Seeing as I neither desire to be like him or hate him personally, I fail to see how this particular concept applies.

It's impossible to troll on this site.
0x5f3759df
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 5:19:51 PM
At 6/1/2013 4:55:49 PM, Bullish wrote:

U JELLY?

lol
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 6:00:51 PM
I hated him before his music went big. Now I hate him even more. His music is bad, and he should feel bad.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 9:31:19 PM

Why the fvck do you care though? Why does all music need to appeal to you?
#BlackLivesMatter
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 10:31:54 PM
At 6/1/2013 9:31:19 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:

It doesn't, and I don't expect it to. However, I'm not happy when I'm exposed to music which doesn't appeal to me. That's the whole point of liking and disliking things. And my unhappiness is vastly magnified when the things which I dislike become ubiquitous. For example, I hate fusion jazz, but since I don't come into contact with it that often, the hatred is a dull one, and is seldom felt. Other hatreds, a good example would be country songs dedicated to the sole purpose of explaining that the singer is, in fact, country, are more sharp, since I am subjected to their object on a far more regular basis.
- Hilaire Belloc -
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 10:59:40 PM
At 6/1/2013 4:55:49 PM, Bullish wrote:

U JELLY?

LOL.
Nolite Timere
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 11:17:15 PM

I think it depends on from whom the hatred is coming.

The "elitist" critique is this: those who lament the quality of his music, who are the same that would have criticized Prince or Michael Jackson in years before, or the Bee Gees oh so very long ago. While I understand that position, I still like his music. Is it meaningless? Sure, but that's why I like it. This doesn't bother me because it applies not just to JB, but to most contemporary mainstream pop music and the music industry more broadly.

The "teenage boy" critique is this: those who are jealous of the fact that a fairly attractive 19 year old is simultaneously (1) worth more than 100 million USD, (2) constantly chased by girls and (3) more popular than they are. This really amuses me, because the cause of this hatred which appears as some sort actually critical judgement is really grounded in narcissism and envy.

The "old codger" critique is this: "that little punk is making noise that those crazy kids these days are listening to and it gives me a headache." This critique doesn't bother me either, because it applies to almost all music except, the oldest of oldies.

My own thoughts are this: I wish Justin Bieber all the best in his career in music and in life. While he's a little immature (as one could reasonably expect of any 19 year old), he seems like a genuinely nice person who really is just trying to figure out how to jump social classes and live in the limelight. He's also really talented, which most people ignore. I think in 20 years, he'll still be relevant and he will grow into the next Michael Jackson. He's too good to fade into obscurity, and I imagine by the time he's 25 or so he'll be less "controversial" among males who wish they were him.
Tsar of DDO
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 11:32:35 PM
90% because of his fans.... If Bieber didnt have so many fans and so many die hard fans he would probably be a lot more tolerated
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 11:55:05 PM
At 6/1/2013 10:31:54 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

It doesn't, and I don't expect it to. However, I'm not happy when I'm exposed to music which doesn't appeal to me. That's the whole point of liking and disliking things. And my unhappiness is vastly magnified when the things which I dislike become ubiquitous. For example, I hate fusion jazz, but since I don't come into contact with it that often, the hatred is a dull one, and is seldom felt. Other hatreds, a good example would be country songs dedicated to the sole purpose of explaining that the singer is, in fact, country, are more sharp, since I am subjected to their object on a far more regular basis.

If this was the mid 90's, I could sympathize with you. But we're in the age of mp3s and internet radio. I feel as if you really have to go out of your way to hear Justin's music.
#BlackLivesMatter
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 11:58:03 PM
At 6/1/2013 11:32:35 PM, imabench wrote:
90% because of his fans.... If Bieber didnt have so many fans and so many die hard fans he would probably be a lot more tolerated

I've never met a Justin Bieber fan. I even went to one of his music videos and couldn't find one.
#BlackLivesMatter
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 11:58:10 PM
At 6/1/2013 11:55:05 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:

If this was the mid 90's, I could sympathize with you. But we're in the age of mp3s and internet radio. I feel as if you really have to go out of your way to hear Justin's music.

The people at my work have a radio, and one clique is fond of pop music stations. It's probably true that I wouldn't hate his music as much if I wasn't forced to listen to it. I probably wouldn't even really be aware of it.
- Hilaire Belloc -
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 11:53:23 AM
At 6/1/2013 11:55:05 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:

We're also in the age where portable music is more prevalent than ever. In the 90's, you might occasionally see people with portable boomboxes. Now'a'days most people have a portable music player in their pocket.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Just-Your-Average-Atheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 2:26:48 PM
At 6/1/2013 11:17:15 PM, YYW wrote:

The "elitist" critique is this: those who lament the quality of his music, who are the same that would have criticized Prince or Michael Jackson in years before, or the Bee Gees oh so very long ago. While I understand that position, I still like his music. Is it meaningless? Sure, but that's why I like it. This doesn't bother me because it applies not just to JB, but to most contemporary mainstream pop music and the music industry more broadly.

The "teenage boy" critique is this: those who are jealous of the fact that a fairly attractive 19 year old is simultaneously (1) worth more than 100 million USD, (2) constantly chased by girls and (3) more popular than they are. This really amuses me, because the cause of this hatred which appears as some sort actually critical judgement is really grounded in narcissism and envy.

The "old codger" critique is this: "that little punk is making noise that those crazy kids these days are listening to and it gives me a headache." This critique doesn't bother me either, because it applies to almost all music except, the oldest of oldies.

My own thoughts are this: I wish Justin Bieber all the best in his career in music and in life. While he's a little immature (as one could reasonably expect of any 19 year old), he seems like a genuinely nice person who really is just trying to figure out how to jump social classes and live in the limelight. He's also really talented, which most people ignore. I think in 20 years, he'll still be relevant and he will grow into the next Michael Jackson. He's too good to fade into obscurity, and I imagine by the time he's 25 or so he'll be less "controversial" among males who wish they were him.

I hate him because his music is the meaningless, soulless pop crap you hear today. I prefer classical.
Hugs and horns,
J.Y.A.A.
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 5:50:34 PM
At 6/2/2013 2:26:48 PM, Just-Your-Average-Atheist wrote:

I hate him because his music is the meaningless, soulless pop crap you hear today. I prefer classical.

Meaningless and soulless to you. And again I ask the same question, must the world and everything in it be built to satisfy you? You like classical great, so what makes classical superior to pop?
#BlackLivesMatter
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 7:54:05 PM
Easy. For the same reason people hate Al Qaeda HEAR ME OUT...

because their fans are completely insane.

If you like Justin Beiber, the terrorists win.
/end
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 8:37:53 PM
At 6/2/2013 7:54:05 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
Easy. For the same reason people hate Al Qaeda HEAR ME OUT...

because their fans are completely insane.

If you like Justin Beiber, the terrorists win.
/end

If that isn't sound logic, I don't know what is
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 9:03:21 AM

I just didn't like him from the beginning. The first time I heard him I thought it was a girl singing, literary.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 6:40:31 PM
At 6/2/2013 5:50:34 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
At 6/2/2013 2:26:48 PM, Just-Your-Average-Atheist wrote:

Meaningless and soulless to you. And again I ask the same question, must the world and everything in it be built to satisfy you? You like classical great, so what makes classical superior to pop?

Not a damn thing, that's what!

#beliebe
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 7:17:55 PM
At 6/3/2013 6:41:50 PM, leojm wrote:
He is just not that attractive either as many girls think he is, plus he is getting in so much trouble now.

He really does need to behave himself. As of late... he's been acting very immaturely.
Tsar of DDO
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 7:20:25 PM
At 6/3/2013 7:17:55 PM, YYW wrote:
He is just not that attractive either as many girls think he is, plus he is getting in so much trouble now.

He really does need to behave himself. As of late... he's been acting very immaturely.

I found the Anne Frank incident highly amusing.
- Hilaire Belloc -
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 7:24:44 PM

Yes, speeding in his car. His neighbors are getting ticked at him too.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 7:32:14 PM
At 6/3/2013 7:20:25 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I did too, but I -almost- felt sorry for him too. I mean for christ's sake, he's a 19 year old who was essentially "bullied" by every tabloid in the world for hoping that Anne Frank would have been his fan. Was it perhaps a less than politically correct thing to write? Sure... but I would hope that everyone would like me if I were in his (ostentatiously high) shoes.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 7:33:20 PM
At 6/3/2013 7:24:44 PM, leojm wrote:

Yes, speeding in his car. His neighbors are getting ticked at him too.

But in all fairness, speeding in a car is entirely within the range of "normal 19 year old behavior."

Btw. the New Yorker even jumped in:

http://www.newyorker.com...
Tsar of DDO
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 7:42:16 PM
At 6/3/2013 7:32:14 PM, YYW wrote:
At 6/3/2013 7:20:25 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I did too, but I -almost- felt sorry for him too. I mean for christ's sake, he's a 19 year old who was essentially "bullied" by every tabloid in the world for hoping that Anne Frank would have been his fan. Was it perhaps a less than politically correct thing to write? Sure... but I would hope that everyone would like me if I were in his (ostentatiously high) shoes.

I just thought the whole thing was hilarious. I think that the people who got all upset about it were just looking for something to be aghast about. But the screenshots of tweets were priceless. Things along the lines of: "Who is Anne Frank and why is she bullying Justin Bieber?"
- Hilaire Belloc -
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 7:43:45 PM
1a. His music is garbage.
1b. His fans are the worst.
2. He can't sing.
3. He is a jerk in real life.