Jump to topic:

Playstation 4 vs Xbox one

Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 2:08:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Up til yesterday PS4 was clearly winning. Now it is still winning however, there are several factors which caused them to lose ground;

- essentially the same used game policy as the Xbox. Up to the discretion of third party developers
- The xbox's absolutely stellar launch line up
- PS plus necessary to play on line, whilst still providing an inferior technical service to xbox live
- KH3 going to Xbox (in the sony e3 conference it was the only title which made me excited). Likely the next FF will too.

Things where it is still winning;

- price
- connectivity requirements (not a big deal for me as my playstation 3 and 360 are always online anyway, but a lot of people hold as important because they have connections so bad sometimes they can't connect every 24 hours. My personal response is that they should consider investing in better internet before a new console but whatever)
- indie self publishing
- the order (though doesn't really make up for having generally meh line-up when compared with xbone)
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 2:41:27 PM
I'm really torn. Xbox One games look incredible. KH3 and Titanfall really looked cool.

But...PS4 seems to provide more for my money.....and it doesn't have a lot of annoying issues.

Though I don't get why the "always online" thing is a big deal to so many people.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 2:46:20 PM
At 6/11/2013 2:41:27 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I'm really torn. Xbox One games look incredible. KH3 and Titanfall really looked cool.

Agreed. Aside from the Order, PS4 had no exclusives which looked that interesting.

But...PS4 seems to provide more for my money.....and it doesn't have a lot of annoying issues.

Agreed on the price. Just out interest, what are the annoying issues? Because with the news that the used game policy is the same for both I can't really think of any which impacts the average gamer.

Though I don't get why the "always online" thing is a big deal to so many people.

Indeed. I'm also surprised at the anti-MS vibe going around at the moment.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 2:47:12 PM
I really stopped caring a bit ago. Didn't see anything wrong with a good ol' PS2.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 2:54:20 PM
At 6/11/2013 2:47:12 PM, Noumena wrote:
I really stopped caring a bit ago. Didn't see anything wrong with a good ol' PS2.

It is true. There are three times as many kingdom hearts games on the PS2 as there are on the next gen consoles.
Therefore

PS2 = 3X1
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 3:03:54 PM
You can play used games on the PS4 without additional costs. According to some developers, the PS4 has the best hardware too. I don't see good reasons to switch to Xbox if you've been a steady PS user.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 3:29:07 PM
Long-time Xbox fan, but hasn't Microsoft heard? Big brother is not popular right now.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 3:43:37 PM
At 6/11/2013 3:03:54 PM, Mirza wrote:
You can play used games on the PS4 without additional costs.

No. Used game costs, or even if used games are playable, are at the discretion of 3rd party developers. Same thing as the xbox. (Using passes and the like)
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 4:16:22 PM
At 6/11/2013 3:43:37 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

No. Used game costs, or even if used games are playable, are at the discretion of 3rd party developers. Same thing as the xbox. (Using passes and the like)

I prefer the more traditional games from PS1 AND PS2. Nowadays the video gaming platforms are repetitive and have low quality gameplay with little to no creativity.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 4:17:13 PM
At 6/11/2013 3:29:07 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Long-time Xbox fan, but hasn't Microsoft heard? Big brother is not popular right now.

Snowden has came forth with some convincing testimonies.
See Society category for more truth.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 4:28:39 PM

A very large percentage of people in America don't have access to reliable internet. Including myself.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Shazam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 4:53:28 PM
PS4.

The only game Xbox has that I want is RYSE.

Would much rather play inFamous and Killzone. And The Order looks cool.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 5:25:31 PM

Source? Everything I've seen contradicts what you're saying for disc-based games.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 6:40:40 PM
At 6/11/2013 5:25:31 PM, Korashk wrote:

Source? Everything I've seen contradicts what you're saying for disc-based games.

http://www.slashgear.com...

No publisher is going to opt in to blocking used games on the Xbox but opt out on the PS4.
Its the same "publishers choice" for Xbox 3rd party games. (1st parties will all opt in in Xbox's case, but opt out in Sony's case - however, Sony has very few 1st party titles, even amongst its exclusives which are mostly 2nd or 3rd party)
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 6:41:37 PM
At 6/11/2013 4:28:39 PM, Korashk wrote:

A very large percentage of people in America don't have access to reliable internet. Including myself.

You ever can't connect to the internet for more than 24 hours? If so, fair cop, that would royally screw you.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 11:56:12 PM
At 6/11/2013 6:41:37 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 6/11/2013 4:28:39 PM, Korashk wrote:

You ever can't connect to the internet for more than 24 hours? If so, fair cop, that would royally screw you.

Same here; I can't connect to the internet once every 24 hours. And Microsoft's advice to those people? Stick with the 360. Great marketing... "don't buy our product". lol
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 12:06:32 AM
I don't know what orgasmic lineup of launch titles for the XboxOne you are referring to, but as long as Santa Monica, Japan Studio, and Naughty Dog are sticking with Sony, so will I.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 12:47:44 PM
I just got the 360 and PS3 last year, so it'll be a few years before I have to make this decision. Is anybody planning on getting either of the new guys at launch?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 12:56:15 PM

It's a big deal because it potentially is VERY restrictive. For many people who like to travel with entertainment, they can't bring their XBO because it needs to be connected every 24 hours. I personally find it an issue because, although I have consistent WiFi at my dad's house, with my mum, we use direct ethernet connection, and my room is too far away to get connected itself.

However, a lot of the issue comes in with the attitude--it seems for this upcoming generation, Microsoft has decided that they will be the elitist console. They said "all Xbox One customers have broadband," when clearly they don't. A HUGE portion of their world market doesn't have sophisticated enough Internet to be always online. Of course, Microsoft I guess is just ignoring them as they are only launching to a handful of countries (not even launching to Japan!), whereas Sony has said that they want to be the more versatile console for people worldwide, and they are releasing, I believe, in almost every country in the world.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 3:28:54 AM
" When Microsoft revealed its used disc game policies for the Xbox One console earlier this week, one thing that was revealed was that Microsoft was not going to allow the rental of those disc products for its launch, saying only that it was "exploring the possibilities with our partners." http://www.neowin.net...

So Sony is making rental optional at the discretion of third party developers, but Microsoft is banning rentals completely.

Microsoft is also charging a $100 higher price at launch. One theory is that avid gamers will queue up to buy as many of each product as are available for a few months after launch, and that $100 extra won't deter them. Having to buy games outright won't deter them either because the customers who rent games won't be the ones rushing out to buy first release of the console. According to this theory, Microsoft and its developers will get to cash in with premium prices for a few months and then they'll drop the price and get serious about competing with Sony. ... This theory is pure speculation.

News reports say that the frequency of having to be connected to the internet drops from 24 hours to as little as once per hour for multiplayer games.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 3:33:07 AM
At 6/13/2013 12:47:44 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I just got the 360 and PS3 last year, so it'll be a few years before I have to make this decision. Is anybody planning on getting either of the new guys at launch?
Yes, I'm going for the PS4 at launch, if possible.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 11:43:15 AM
I don't know, the head Microsoft guy (I forget his name) made some really annoying comments about the always online requirement. And the fact that game rentals and resales (I buy a lot of used games) is going to be heavily regulated or even banned outright really irks me. It means they're just trying to make it a cash cow instead of actually listening to the gaming community.

I actually might be swayed to go back to Playstation as more and more info about the Xbox One starts to come out. Microsoft has been decidedly misleading about it so far it seems.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 12:07:06 PM
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 12:08:31 PM
At 6/14/2013 11:43:15 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I don't know, the head Microsoft guy (I forget his name) made some really annoying comments about the always online requirement. And the fact that game rentals and resales (I buy a lot of used games) is going to be heavily regulated or even banned outright really irks me. It means they're just trying to make it a cash cow instead of actually listening to the gaming community.

I actually might be swayed to go back to Playstation as more and more info about the Xbox One starts to come out. Microsoft has been decidedly misleading about it so far it seems.

And, is it just me, or does Microsoft come off as really presumptuous about the resources of its customers. Like that Microsoft guy saying that all XBO owners have broadband? Girl, please.

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 12:09:58 PM
At 6/14/2013 12:08:31 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

And, is it just me, or does Microsoft come off as really presumptuous about the resources of its customers. Like that Microsoft guy saying that all XBO owners have broadband? Girl, please.

And when someone asked him, what about people in the military like on ships and overseas who want to play Xbox but won't be able to due to the new connectivity requirements, he basically said tough titties.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 12:14:27 PM
At 6/14/2013 12:09:58 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 6/14/2013 12:08:31 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

And when someone asked him, what about people in the military like on ships and overseas who want to play Xbox but won't be able to due to the new connectivity requirements, he basically said tough titties.

http://25.media.tumblr.com...

1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 3:31:36 PM
Microsoft wants $100 more than the PS4, but you don't get better graphics (the PS4 actually has the faster RAM) or more hard drive space. It comes with a camera that watches you at all times. And you get Microsoft's DRM which means you only sort of own your games as you can't sell them or even lend them to friends. And what's with how you have to pay a monthly fee to Microsoft to be able to watch Netflix on your XBox? So I have to pay a monthly fee to be able to use my internet I already pay for to use my Netflix service I already pay for on the XBox I already paid for? What am I paying Microsoft to do in this exchange?

Seems more like extortion than a service. I'm sorry, but the XboxOne represents yet another marketing failure by Microsoft.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 1:30:26 PM
At 6/14/2013 3:31:36 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
Microsoft wants $100 more than the PS4, but you don't get better graphics (the PS4 actually has the faster RAM) or more hard drive space.

You get the Kinect cam. It's a shame about the RAM though. Also it might be to do with the connectivity to cable and satellite?

It comes with a camera that watches you at all times.

Which means what?

And you get Microsoft's DRM which means you only sort of own your games as you can't sell them or even lend them to friends.

But you can have the "family" share feature, which allows up to 10 people which you can share your game library with, family or not (not so sure about the specifics). You and one other person in the group can play the same game at once.

http://www.gametrailers.com...

And apparently you can lend people who have been on your friends list for 30 days a game once, I think. Also Sony is letting third-party game developers make their own DRM rules.

It is a bit more restricted than the PS4 though.

And what's with how you have to pay a monthly fee to Microsoft to be able to watch Netflix on your XBox? So I have to pay a monthly fee to be able to use my internet I already pay for to use my Netflix service I already pay for on the XBox I already paid for?

Source?

What am I paying Microsoft to do in this exchange?

Play it on your Xbox?

Seems more like extortion than a service. I'm sorry, but the XboxOne represents yet another marketing failure by Microsoft.

Maybe, maybe not.

One area where I thought the PS had an advanced was free online connectivity, albeit slightly less polished, but now it costs similar to the Xbox.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Quan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 2:18:27 PM
At 6/14/2013 3:31:36 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
the PS4 actually has the faster RAM
The difference is overstated due to the misleading 3 vs 5. GDDR5 is DDR3 optimized for graphics processing (higher bandwidth). But it would actually be outperformed by DDR3 for CPU tasks due to higher latency. DDR4 is still in development, and GDDR6 will be based on DDR4.