Jump to topic:

The Last of Us

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 12:00:35 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I played the demo and enjoyed it a lot. It reminds of me I Am Alive, an indie download for Xbox, which I am also very much into. I am a huge fan of survival games based in dystopian futures. Those usually involve zombies but I prefer when they don't.

I am also getting into babysitting mechanics. Gaming started doing it right in Resident Evil 4 and obviously perfected it in the new Bioshock. I think when it's integrated well, it takes gameplay to a much more personal level.

What do you think of it?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 3:10:25 AM
At 6/16/2013 12:00:35 AM, Maikuru wrote:
I played the demo and enjoyed it a lot. It reminds of me I Am Alive, an indie download for Xbox, which I am also very much into. I am a huge fan of survival games based in dystopian futures. Those usually involve zombies but I prefer when they don't.

I am also getting into babysitting mechanics. Gaming started doing it right in Resident Evil 4 and obviously perfected it in the new Bioshock. I think when it's integrated well, it takes gameplay to a much more personal level.

What do you think of it?

How similar is it to I Am Alive? I personally hate that game, so it would be nice to know.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
RocketEngineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 1:25:01 PM
The game is kind of repetitive with the enemies. I hate how the Shiv is limited also. It's alright, but IDK.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 6:15:20 PM
Watching Pewdiepie playing it, as the broken PS3 has long been thrown away. It seems really awesome, and the infected girl is damn cute.. And don't get the wrong idea, I'm her age.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 6:43:32 PM
At 6/15/2013 10:58:33 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Anybody else playing this? Impressions?

Beat it last night; took me nearly 16 hours to complete the campaign on Normal and I missed a bunch of stuff. The story is absolutely amazing with very real, constant emotions that never feel forced. The gameplay is amazing despite some immersion problems. AI is scary intelligent.

It's basically I Am Alive on steroids. I might do a more in-depth review if others are interested but there's really only one thing you need to know: you need this game in your collection!
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 6:53:29 PM
At 6/16/2013 6:43:32 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

Beat it last night; took me nearly 16 hours to complete the campaign on Normal and I missed a bunch of stuff. The story is absolutely amazing with very real, constant emotions that never feel forced. The gameplay is amazing despite some immersion problems. AI is scary intelligent.

It's basically I Am Alive on steroids. I might do a more in-depth review if others are interested but there's really only one thing you need to know: you need this game in your collection!

The girl doesn't die, right? Please tell me she doesn't..
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 7:08:32 PM
At 6/16/2013 6:53:29 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

I certainly wouldn't spoil any major plot points for anyone who hasn't yet played it. What I can say is the ending, in my opinion, was not generic or predictable and I was quite satisfied with it.
yin.yang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 7:10:23 PM
At 6/16/2013 7:10:06 PM, yin.yang wrote:
Yraelz who did you target last night?

-t

Ha wrong thread!
Maikuru and tulle.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 7:10:39 PM
At 6/16/2013 7:08:32 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 6/16/2013 6:53:29 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

I certainly wouldn't spoil any major plot points for anyone who hasn't yet played it. What I can say is the ending, in my opinion, was not generic or predictable and I was quite satisfied with it.

I see. Sadly, the game is a Sony exclusive, so it cannot be played on PC, even though I very much would like to do that. I really like zombie stories, and seeing this one incorporated a character that is of my age somehow wanted to make me play it even more. Guess not.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 7:14:15 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I literally just started playing it (and I'm going to have to put in on hold for the Heat vs Spurs game, lol); I haven't had the chance to really sit down and play because it was my birthday on friday and father's day today and have been doing stuff for one or the other all weekend. I'm really looking forward to diving into this.

Have you played the multiplayer?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 7:17:05 PM
At 6/16/2013 7:14:15 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I literally just started playing it (and I'm going to have to put in on hold for the Heat vs Spurs game, lol); I haven't had the chance to really sit down and play because it was my birthday on friday and father's day today and have been doing stuff for one or the other all weekend. I'm really looking forward to diving into this.

Have you played the multiplayer?

Unfortunately not yet; I don't have internet, so if I want to play it, then I need to bring it over to my friend's. Also, happy belated birthday!
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 7:38:04 PM
For those of you who enjoy watching game walkthroughs, either because you don't plan on buying a game or to just get a taste of gameplay prior to making up your mind, theRadBrad on youtube does really enjoyable ones.

Here's the start of his Last of Us runthrough.

https://www.youtube.com...
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
mathdebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 4:16:22 PM
I just finished watching the cut-scene movie complied together on YouTube. This guy did an amazing job at editing it together to seem like a real movie. Nothing left out.

As for my overall thoughts on it, the story is simply beautiful in a dark type of way. It was probably one of the best stories I have ever seen in a video game, if not in all of literature. I'm a sort of a wannabe writer myself, so I might go back through sometime and write the story into a book.

I'm 15, so don't go "omg pedo alert!" but I think Ellie is pretty hot.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 4:34:43 PM
At 6/19/2013 7:38:04 PM, Maikuru wrote:
For those of you who enjoy watching game walkthroughs, either because you don't plan on buying a game or to just get a taste of gameplay prior to making up your mind, theRadBrad on youtube does really enjoyable ones.

Here's the start of his Last of Us runthrough.

https://www.youtube.com...

The guy seems like a fine walkthrougher. Still, started the game with pewdiepie, I'll end it with him.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 4:35:43 PM
At 6/27/2013 4:16:22 PM, mathdebator wrote:
I just finished watching the cut-scene movie complied together on YouTube. This guy did an amazing job at editing it together to seem like a real movie. Nothing left out.

As for my overall thoughts on it, the story is simply beautiful in a dark type of way. It was probably one of the best stories I have ever seen in a video game, if not in all of literature. I'm a sort of a wannabe writer myself, so I might go back through sometime and write the story into a book.

I'm 15, so don't go "omg pedo alert!" but I think Ellie is pretty hot.
Amen, brother.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 2:38:11 PM
Just watched Pewdiepie finish the game.

The ending was certainly something new, though it wasn't that unexpected, especially considering the previous few scenes. But in a way, it was perfect. Everyone stayed in character, I could totally see Joel doing what he did; likewise for Ellie.

This might just be my favorite game. And it's amazing that it can turn out to be so beautiful on a PS3, with a measly 256mb or RAM...
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
mathdebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 4:12:08 PM
At 6/28/2013 2:38:11 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
Just watched Pewdiepie finish the game.

The ending was certainly something new, though it wasn't that unexpected, especially considering the previous few scenes. But in a way, it was perfect. Everyone stayed in character, I could totally see Joel doing what he did; likewise for Ellie.

This might just be my favorite game. And it's amazing that it can turn out to be so beautiful on a PS3, with a measly 256mb or RAM...

I agree with you on the ending. Like Yoda said, "Do... or do not. There is no try."
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 11:48:12 PM

You totally should. While I could only see the Uncharted series being, if not videogames, a string of Blockbuster action films, a novel is actually the first thing that came to mind when trying to picture The Last of Us as something other than what it is.
mathdebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2013 9:23:55 AM
At 7/3/2013 11:48:12 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

You totally should. While I could only see the Uncharted series being, if not videogames, a string of Blockbuster action films, a novel is actually the first thing that came to mind when trying to picture The Last of Us as something other than what it is.

I'm on it. Just finishing up some Java programming courses right now. I'll write at least the first chapter and post it somewhere. All updates will be posted here.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2013 3:54:43 PM
At 7/5/2013 9:23:55 AM, mathdebator wrote:
At 7/3/2013 11:48:12 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

I'm on it. Just finishing up some Java programming courses right now. I'll write at least the first chapter and post it somewhere. All updates will be posted here.

Awesome. I am soon going to start writing a fan-fiction for this story :)
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
mathdebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 2:43:20 PM
In case anyone from the future reads this thread, I have abandoned the idea of writing the story into a book. It has already been told, and no book can match the amazing soundtrack, etc. Although its style may be used for later writing! :) See ya!
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 2:58:04 PM
At 7/30/2013 2:43:20 PM, mathdebator wrote:
In case anyone from the future reads this thread, I have abandoned the idea of writing the story into a book. It has already been told, and no book can match the amazing soundtrack, etc. Although its style may be used for later writing! :) See ya!

D:
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 2:36:27 PM
At 7/30/2013 2:58:04 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

D:

Don't worry... I am still writing a fanfic for it... Right, that does not seem so attractive.

On another note, wondering if I should buy 500gb ps3 + TLoU for 250e.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 3:22:30 PM
At 7/31/2013 2:36:27 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
At 7/30/2013 2:58:04 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

D:

Don't worry... I am still writing a fanfic for it... Right, that does not seem so attractive.

On another note, wondering if I should buy 500gb ps3 + TLoU for 250e.

Remember, the PS4 is coming out soon and you'll probably be able to play at least a digital copy of The Last of Us on that.