American Psycho

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 12:43:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Has anyone seen and or read it?

I just watched it for the first time. I was blown away. I found myself laughing at parts, hiding my eyes at others while being over all entertained, amused and disgusted. It was a marvelous work that has left me with many thoughts. A true masterpiece if I do say so myself.

Christian Bale was brilliant.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 1:12:26 AM
At 6/18/2013 12:43:41 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

I just watched it for the first time. I was blown away. I found myself laughing at parts, hiding my eyes at others while being over all entertained, amused and disgusted. It was a marvelous work that has left me with many thoughts. A true masterpiece if I do say so myself.

It's definitely a strange movie. I wouldn't say it was a masterpiece though.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 10:21:25 AM
At 6/18/2013 2:41:01 AM, PrivateEye wrote:
CP you're a f*cking idiot dude

Clearly you saw nothing but the surface of the movie.

Not surprising for someone of your mental capacity.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 10:22:04 AM
At 6/18/2013 1:12:26 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 6/18/2013 12:43:41 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

It's definitely a strange movie. I wouldn't say it was a masterpiece though.

Masterpiece is probably a little over the top, I agree, but the themes and the humor and the undertones were fantastically done.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 10:27:43 AM
That's funny, I'm still reading it right now.

It's really really good.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 1:53:26 PM
The book and movie follow the same plot points, but the movie's portrayal of them is very different. The movie uses the killings as dark humor. The book on the other hand, is much, much more graphic. The description of events isn't meant to entertain, its meant to absolutely disgust you and make you cringe as you read what Bateman does to these people.

I told WSA a while back that you will never read something so and disturbing and grotesque as this book, and I stand by it. If you read it, be prepared to make some very awkward faces as you read through the death scenes.

Don't get me wrong though, there is definently a lot of depth to the story and its pretty good. Just don't say I didn't warn you...lol.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 2:56:52 PM
I quite liked the movie. Bale was near perfect. It wasn't just about the killings and the gore (which occupied a relatively small amount of a movie that's basically bio-piccing a psycho-sadist). It was about the gradual (and entertaining) break of his psyche, how he went basically unnoticed in 80's yippie culture (the paralells drawn were great but sometimes a bit too obvious or forced), hell you could even throw some feminist critique in there if you tried. It was a generally entertaining and thought provoking movie but masterpiece is a bit over the top.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:10:26 PM
At 6/19/2013 2:56:52 PM, Noumena wrote:
I quite liked the movie. Bale was near perfect. It wasn't just about the killings and the gore (which occupied a relatively small amount of a movie that's basically bio-piccing a psycho-sadist). It was about the gradual (and entertaining) break of his psyche, how he went basically unnoticed in 80's yippie culture (the paralells drawn were great but sometimes a bit too obvious or forced), hell you could even throw some feminist critique in there if you tried. It was a generally entertaining and thought provoking movie but masterpiece is a bit over the top.

This.
President of DDO
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 11:14:51 AM

I agree. I said masterpiece was too much but I posted this right after seeing it so I was quite enthralled. I did find it wildly entertaining though.
PrivateEye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 11:16:21 AM
haha Danielle and WSA have had American Psycho avis i'm going to make a post in the entertainment forums saying it was a masterpiece
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 2:04:35 PM
At 6/20/2013 11:14:51 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

I agree. I said masterpiece was too much but I posted this right after seeing it so I was quite enthralled. I did find it wildly entertaining though.

It's the kind of movie that I can watch five or six times and still enjoy. So for me, in that sense at least, it's right up there with Pulp Fiction, Inception, The Big Lebowski, and a few musical films.
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 7:19:42 PM
Sussudio
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 8:37:04 PM
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 10:59:27 PM
At 6/18/2013 2:33:56 AM, PrivateEye wrote:
Dude ran around freaking out over calling cards and killing prostitutes

Yeah, it's even better after watching the Dark Knight trilogy.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
toolpot462
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 10:28:50 AM
At 6/20/2013 11:16:21 AM, PrivateEye wrote:
haha Danielle and WSA have had American Psycho avis i'm going to make a post in the entertainment forums saying it was a masterpiece

You're kind of an @$$hole, aren't you?
I'll be the one to protect you from
Your enemies and all your demons.
A will to survive and a voice of reason.
Your enemies and your choices, son.
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 12:13:58 PM
At 6/21/2013 10:28:50 AM, toolpot462 wrote:

Yeah, sure. But then maybe take part in a little of your own violence and see how this movie strikes you. Gore-addicts tick me off some.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 12:53:15 PM
At 6/23/2013 11:22:55 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
Mildly off topic; does it amuse anyone else that the "American" Psycho was played by an Englishman?

And a Welshman at that. What's happened to this country?
toolpot462
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 11:02:51 AM
At 6/24/2013 12:13:58 PM, benevolent wrote:

Yeah, sure. But then maybe take part in a little of your own violence and see how this movie strikes you. Gore-addicts tick me off some.

So what, you've murdered someone with an axe and now you see the movie differently?
Your enemies and all your demons.
A will to survive and a voice of reason.
Your enemies and your choices, son.
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 2:06:36 PM
At 6/25/2013 11:02:51 AM, toolpot462 wrote:
At 6/24/2013 12:13:58 PM, benevolent wrote:

So what, you've murdered someone with an axe and now you see the movie differently?

Yeah, pretty much, or at least I think so. Maybe I'm just trying to raise myself above others - on the surface it must seem rather hypocritical - but I've very much lost any affinity for gore on television that I've ever had, I figure maybe because I've resensitized myself. What you think?
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 2:08:27 PM
I've never actually murdered anyone, of course, but I've rather filled my life with violence, a "this is how god wants it" sorta thing. And now I think it's time I grew up.
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 2:13:08 PM
Drive is another example of a movie that's very highly rated and I just don't see the appeal of anymore. Because I've lived it, and I know it's wrong, but you get kids thrilling over it like it's the greatest piece of art in centuries. Pretty f*cked up, I think. "WHOA DID YOU SEE HOW HE MURDERED THAT DUDE - SUCH AN ARTISTIC MURDER SCENE" - like wtf dudes.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 1:50:38 AM
Possible spoiler alert, but there was a part in the book which made me question whether all of the violence was imagined, and that the book was still a descent into madness, but one where the atrocities were only imagined. It didn't have the same impact in the movie, if it was present at all which I can't remember ATM.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 2:25:38 PM
At 6/26/2013 1:50:38 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Possible spoiler alert, but there was a part in the book which made me question whether all of the violence was imagined, and that the book was still a descent into madness, but one where the atrocities were only imagined. It didn't have the same impact in the movie, if it was present at all which I can't remember ATM.

I remember the end of the movie, to me, possibly suggested that. I admit though I was very confused at what it meant.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 1:38:03 AM
At 6/20/2013 2:04:35 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 6/20/2013 11:14:51 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

It's the kind of movie that I can watch five or six times and still enjoy. So for me, in that sense at least, it's right up there with Pulp Fiction, Inception, The Big Lebowski, and a few musical films.

No idea how I got here...

Haven't seen Big Lebowski, but the rest is an excellent list. I'd add Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven (director's cut, the theatrical version is total crap), most James Cameron and Ridley Scott movies, really.

For me, this movie defined Bale. All of his performances have the weird, menacing, somewhat comical, way-too-burnt-out-from-stressed demeanor that he showed in this film.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?