Jump to topic:

Blatant Disrespect of the rules of timetravel

Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 8:24:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What specific example are you referring to? I mean of "blatant disrespect of the rules of timetravel".
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Rubyclaw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 8:36:51 PM
At 6/20/2013 8:24:07 PM, Noumena wrote:
What specific example are you referring to? I mean of "blatant disrespect of the rules of timetravel".

Oh, look at me. I can't even link.
Here's the opinion argument: http://www.debate.org...

And mainly my problem is JustCheNo. Especially his reply to WSB.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 10:50:40 PM
What rules would killing someone in the past break? Other than having no reason to have done it?
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
Quan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 10:49:19 AM
At 6/20/2013 10:50:40 PM, Ragnar wrote:
What rules would killing someone in the past break? Other than having no reason to have done it?
That's a pretty big rule to break. You would have to travel not only into the past, but into some kind of parallel universe where that person was always killed by you.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 12:02:27 PM
At 6/21/2013 10:49:19 AM, Quan wrote:
That's a pretty big rule to break. You would have to travel not only into the past, but into some kind of parallel universe where that person was always killed by you.

that is one theory there is also the theory where you would change you universe and possibly not even exist creating a paradox
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 12:31:36 PM

There are different rules in different media. In Doctor Who it could be a fixed or an open point in time. So depending on what yer changing it might work. In Lost you absolutely cannot change anything. Yer plan would just fall apart in some way every time you try. In some media, changing things just creates another universe where the change occurred. There's no universally valid rule for time travel dudez.
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Rubyclaw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 4:14:02 PM
At 6/21/2013 12:31:36 PM, Noumena wrote:

There are different rules in different media. In Doctor Who it could be a fixed or an open point in time. So depending on what yer changing it might work. In Lost you absolutely cannot change anything. Yer plan would just fall apart in some way every time you try. In some media, changing things just creates another universe where the change occurred. There's no universally valid rule for time travel dudez.

I know. But I'm a Whovian and so I take these kinds of things very seriously. Probably too seriously.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 4:30:49 PM
At 6/21/2013 4:14:02 PM, Rubyclaw wrote:

I know. But I'm a Whovian and so I take these kinds of things very seriously. Probably too seriously.

If yer a Whovian than you know not all points in time are fixed. So killing young Barry may or may not be impossible. We don't know.
Rubyclaw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 5:40:21 PM
At 6/21/2013 4:30:49 PM, Noumena wrote:

If yer a Whovian than you know not all points in time are fixed. So killing young Barry may or may not be impossible. We don't know.

Well yeah, but I'm pretty sure that the election of the first black president of the United States would be significant enough to be fixed.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 6:03:56 PM
At 6/21/2013 5:40:21 PM, Rubyclaw wrote:

Well yeah, but I'm pretty sure that the election of the first black president of the United States would be significant enough to be fixed.

On the contrary, significant points are the most re-writable.

Mount Vesuvius exploding - re-written

quiet spot somewhere in Utah - fixed.
Rubyclaw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:26:01 PM
At 6/21/2013 6:03:56 PM, MassiveDump wrote:

Mount Vesuvius exploding was not a re-write. It was always supposed to happen. It just so happened that the Doctor was behind it.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:33:41 PM
At 6/21/2013 9:26:01 PM, Rubyclaw wrote:
At 6/21/2013 6:03:56 PM, MassiveDump wrote:

Mount Vesuvius exploding was not a re-write. It was always supposed to happen. It just so happened that the Doctor was behind it.

mount vesuvius was not always supposed to happen. if you factor in every possible reality than no it was not supposed to happen
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Quan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 10:38:39 PM
At 6/21/2013 12:02:27 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

that is one theory there is also the theory where you would change you universe and possibly not even exist creating a paradox

That's the exact problem I'm talking about. If you killed someone in the past, they wouldn't have been around for your to decide to go back in time to kill them. It either always happened, or never happened.

You also have to account for the fact that there could now be two or more of you existing at any given moment. Do you experience being all of them simultaneously? Or do you become separate individuals?
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 10:45:15 AM

If you went back in time just to kill someone, then you would have no reason to go back in time because they wouldn't be alive to have made you want to go back in time and kill them. Thus, creating a paradox.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.