Jump to topic:

Musical Criticism

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 7:41:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Please offer your enlightened critique of the best that our era has to offer in any artistic field, from painting to music. I'll start:

Today I will be reviewing that lyrical virtues of maestra Minaj's magnum opus: the near universally admired 'SuperBass', and the manner in which it thoughtfully reflects on pertinent societal trends. I will provide the entire work as a reference for any interested parties, but this review will be predominantly concerned with its lyrical qualities, as I believe an entire additional review would be required to unravel its fantastically intricate musical character.

Miss Minaj begins by setting the scene: an automobile, of the convertible variety, and a cooling system. She removed the narrator from the scene by treating the male owner of the vehicle as the receptor of accolades, etching into the listeners mind a further sense of alienation through her curious, perhaps brilliant, rhyming of 'system' with 'system'. May I pause to observe that this sort of cutting-edge innovation is precisely what makes Minaj so unique and valuable a contributor to the artistic sphere? The narration then jumps, from the act of driving to entry into 'the club'. This is in intricate metaphor for the value of cultivating virtue and temperence, cleverly camouflaged in base avarice and superficiality. Whether one is traveling to some destination, or has already reached it, virtue (the 'stacks', in this metaphor) never waver or fade away.

Minaj then shifts drastically into Nietzschean self-criticism, and descends into hysteria at the approach of her morally-endowed Ubermenschen. The frantic emotion is effortlessly limned by her employment of a brilliant system of repetition and slant rhyme, gradually resolving into a more cohesive scheme as she regains a hold on her composure. This emotion, the response of the common when confronted with unattainable moral splendor, is artfully captured. It culminates in the momentary release of a visceral resort to violence, but this is quickly suppressed and redirected, as hinted by the next line, which, while lauding the morally superior entity, refers to him as 'pelican fly'. This is a clear reference to the Greek derivation of the word pelican: pelekys, for axe. This subtly hints that the previous explosion of hostility towards another who lusts after the unattainable is actually an expression of a much more deep-set, toxic loathing for the unattainable height of virtue itself. The cryptic next line, reference an ocular aberration, may be a reference to Odin, who plucked out his eye in exchange for knowledge, and denotes that Minaj herself is not willing to make such sacrifices to reach the heights of morality and wisdom.

Next, Minaj explores the phenomenon of egotism. Both unable to reach these heights, and unwilling to even attempt it, she is deprived even of a Sisyphean redemption. Turning her deep-set anger outwards, she seethes in self-righteous outrage, skewering the rest of the world in order to protect her ego from the crushing onslaught which would otherwise crush it. She seeks the only esteem she is capable of obtaining: a transient and meaningless prestige. This descends into a nonsensical rhythmic rant, mimicking Nietzsche's analogy of the vibrating rope, and further highlighting her inability to bridge the gap between animal and superwoman.

Minaj further gloats in the egotistical manner, underscoring that egotism is her only path to esteem, finally collapsing into desperation as she begs the object of her adoration and abhorrence, and the only real meaning that her life has: the unattainable ideal, to not abandon her. She has become hopelessly enslaved to it, and to her own impotence. All in all, it is a devastatingly honest and incisive portrait of the viscous struggle to attain virtue and self-esteem beyond one's reach.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 8:14:35 PM
At 6/24/2013 7:42:20 PM, YYW wrote:
You should do a debate about this.

I don't debate slovenly philistines who cannot see the sublime character of Miss Minaj's art.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 8:49:17 PM
At 6/24/2013 8:14:35 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 6/24/2013 7:42:20 PM, YYW wrote:
You should do a debate about this.

I don't debate slovenly philistines who cannot see the sublime character of Miss Minaj's art.

lol
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 1:23:45 AM
Please do more.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 2:41:05 PM
I guess I learned something new here... her last name does not rhyme with "ninja". (bummer). Oh also that a word always rhymes with itself.

I wonder if she knows of her ability to give such meaning from such mundane words. I suspect she just thinks she is just singing a song about falling in love.

)
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 3:22:09 PM
Talk about why rap lyrics, decried as assaults on proper English, are really just beautiful depictions of linguistic structuralism.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 4:45:57 PM
At 6/26/2013 3:22:09 PM, Noumena wrote:
Talk about why rap lyrics, decried as assaults on proper English, are really just beautiful depictions of linguistic structuralism.

I agree that there are many misguided superficial assaults on rap. I have noticed though the majority of rap is either extremely sophomoric or it is so laced with maintaining an air of gangsta bravado that it is difficult to consume.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 4:53:56 PM
At 6/26/2013 4:45:57 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 6/26/2013 3:22:09 PM, Noumena wrote:

I agree that there are many misguided superficial assaults on rap. I have noticed though the majority of rap is either extremely sophomoric or it is so laced with maintaining an air of gangsta bravado that it is difficult to consume.

Yer not allowed to be serious in this thread.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.