Jump to topic:

Your Favorite Video Games

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 9:22:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The title is simple enough. What would you say are your favorite video games?

Well, me being of the (apparently small) faction of gamers who would like to see gaming move more toward being interactive stories/experiences and works of art rather than simple products (sorry if that sounded pretentious), I'm a definite fan of studios/publishers like Irrational, Bethesda, Ubisoft, and Rockstar.

Right now, I have to say that probably my FAVORITE game I've played was Telltale's The Walking Dead. It was such an emotionally beautiful experience that I don't think I can bring myself to replay it, because my first-and-only playthrough just feels too much like MY experience.

Intellectually/thematically, another favorite of mine would be Irrational's BioShock: Infinite. If you've played it, you know why.

However, I have so many more that I can't even begin to list them all. But, some others include:

Fallout 3
Fallout: New Vegas
Red Dead Redemption
Grand Theft Auto IV
L.A. Noire
Far Cry 3
Assassin's Creed II
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed III
Heavy Rain
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Passage
Portal
Portal 2
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 9:27:48 PM
At 6/27/2013 9:22:24 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Well, me being of the (apparently small) faction of gamers who would like to see gaming move more toward being interactive stories/experiences and works of art rather than simple products (sorry if that sounded pretentious), I'm a definite fan of studios/publishers like Irrational, Bethesda, Ubisoft, and Rockstar.

Do you mean like CYOA games?
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 9:31:09 PM
At 6/27/2013 9:27:48 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

Not necessarily.

I mean video games that really just focus on story as more of an end, rather than the means to an end.

Basically, I kind of get slightly irked when people talk about games like a product, rather than an experience. Basically, I'd like to see the story and themes of video games to, ON THE WHOLE, take a spot closer to the forefront of how we evaluate video games, rather than just being one part of a game that comes behind technical specs.

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 9:50:57 PM
I'm with you on stories. My favorites:

Legend of Dragoon
Final Fantasy VIII (I love them all, but this is my favorite)
Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross
Golden Sun series
Suikoden
Xenogears
Every Fire Emblem game
The Legend of Zelda Series, especially:
- Link to the Past
- Ocarina of Time
- Twilight Princess
Soul Edge, and Soulcalibur II and III
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Skyrim
The Fable series
The Dragon Age series
Jade Empire
The Witcher (I liked II better than I)
Endless Space
Sid Meier's Civilization III through V
Age of Empires II and III
Minecraft

I've probably forgotten some.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 9:51:43 PM
At 6/27/2013 9:31:09 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 6/27/2013 9:27:48 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

Not necessarily.

I mean video games that really just focus on story as more of an end, rather than the means to an end.

Basically, I kind of get slightly irked when people talk about games like a product, rather than an experience. Basically, I'd like to see the story and themes of video games to, ON THE WHOLE, take a spot closer to the forefront of how we evaluate video games, rather than just being one part of a game that comes behind technical specs.

Okay that is a good way to put it. I especially agree with the point about developers treating story like an integral part of the experience. Most of my favorite game really focus on story.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 9:56:38 PM
Chrono Trigger is probs my all time favorite. It is in my opinion, it shares the title of quintessential JRPG with Final Fantasy 6. At the time, it featured inventive combat with a good, sometimes heartwarming story. And like all games made by Square, the music kicks a$$. Final Fantasy 6 is up there for the same reasons.

Spec Ops: The Line. Fvcking great story. One of the best. My favorite thing about the game is that it is really an indictment of games like mindless military shooters like Call of Duty. Gameplay is meh, but I highly recommend it on the story alone.

BioShock and BioShock: Infinite. Some of the best video game stories ever. Both had great twists, interesting characters and great gameplay.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. The game made Star Wars interesting again. It really opened up the world and unleashed new possibilities. This game is a Bioware game, so it really rides on its story.

Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting. Pure nostalgia. I remember playing this game with my brothers. It was always real competitive and it was a big part of my childhood. My brothers still break out the game every now and then.

The Walking Dead Game. Pretty much what incompetentNinja said.

If I think of more, I'll add more. I can talk about video games all day.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 9:58:04 PM
At 6/27/2013 9:50:57 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

*brofist*

- Link to the Past
- Ocarina of Time
- Twilight Princess

Majora's Mask?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:04:59 PM
At 6/27/2013 9:58:04 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

*brofist*

Reciprocated. Chrono Cross had the best video game music of all time, in my opinion. Yasunori Mitsuda is a genius.

- Link to the Past
- Ocarina of Time
- Twilight Princess

Majora's Mask?

Ehhh, I sometimes get semi-lynched for saying so, but it wasn't my favorite in the world. The time limit annoyed me, as it introduced another limit to Zelda game play which I just didn't like. I loved riding around in OoT and TP in a carefree manner, just exploring, solving puzzles, and killing things. It was very immersive, and the sense of urgency introduced in MM robbed me of that to a degree. I especially hated it when doing temples.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:07:21 PM
Am I gonna get lynched for saying that the Zelda games aren't really my cup of tea?

I mean, hey: the SNES was my first console, and Zelda was one of the games I avidly played, but still.

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:08:27 PM
Rise of Nations
Medieval II Total War
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:08:44 PM
At 6/27/2013 10:04:59 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

*brofist*

Reciprocated. Chrono Cross had the best video game music of all time, in my opinion. Yasunori Mitsuda is a genius.

Prisoners of Fate will play when I conceive my first child.

- Link to the Past
- Ocarina of Time
- Twilight Princess

Majora's Mask?

Ehhh, I sometimes get semi-lynched for saying so, but it wasn't my favorite in the world. The time limit annoyed me, as it introduced another limit to Zelda game play which I just didn't like. I loved riding around in OoT and TP in a carefree manner, just exploring, solving puzzles, and killing things. It was very immersive, and the sense of urgency introduced in MM robbed me of that to a degree. I especially hated it when doing temples.

The time limit didn't annoy me though. What I loved about it was the story. It broke away from the traditional Zelda story, which I loved. I also like the darker tone.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:09:40 PM
At 6/27/2013 10:08:27 PM, thett3 wrote:
Rise of Nations
Medieval II Total War

You didn't even have the decency to list a Civilization game.

You monster!

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:09:44 PM
At 6/27/2013 10:07:21 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Am I gonna get lynched for saying that the Zelda games aren't really my cup of tea?

I mean, hey: the SNES was my first console, and Zelda was one of the games I avidly played, but still.

Whatever floats your boats. It was the same for me, by the way. Link to the Past was my first video game. What don't you like about them, aside from the sometimes cheesy and forced stories?
- Hilaire Belloc -
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:10:33 PM

No we're not going to lynch you for that. We are going to burn you at the stake and spread your ashes so you can never come back.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:11:18 PM
- Link to the Past
- Ocarina of Time
- Twilight Princess

All of these were fantastic, especially Civ V.
Tsar of DDO
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:11:52 PM
At 6/27/2013 10:08:44 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

*brofist*

Lol, that's great! If I could choose a soundtrack for my life...

- Link to the Past
- Ocarina of Time
- Twilight Princess

Majora's Mask?

The time limit didn't annoy me though. What I loved about it was the story. It broke away from the traditional Zelda story, which I loved. I also like the darker tone.

That's why I loved Twilight Princess. I was flabbergasted. A real story? Sympathetic characters? What is this?
- Hilaire Belloc -
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:12:27 PM
Command and Conquer: Generals Zero Hour

I play that game multiplayer with my brothers. I love beating them almost every time. It's a strategy game, the whole series of C&C games is. Otherwise though, I don't play video games. At least I haven't in a few years.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:12:36 PM
At 6/27/2013 10:09:44 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Whatever floats your boats. It was the same for me, by the way. Link to the Past was my first video game. What don't you like about them, aside from the sometimes cheesy and forced stories?

I really couldn't say, it's been so long since I've played any Zelda game (I tried Twilight Princess, but it wasn't doing it for me). It's just the overall "feel" of the game. The whole thing--setting, style, etc. is just not my thing, particularly.

Same for Mario, to a lesser extent. I really liked New Super Mario Bros. for Wii, though. And Galaxy.

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:16:02 PM
At 6/27/2013 10:11:18 PM, YYW wrote:
- Link to the Past
- Ocarina of Time
- Twilight Princess

All of these were fantastic, especially Civ V.

Civ V is my main form of communication with several college friends. One of my favorite games was when one guy I knew played as Boudicca and founded Judaism. Many Space Balls jokes ensued. 'The Druish Princess is amassing troops at my border!' 'HE SHOT MY HAIR!'
- Hilaire Belloc -
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:16:13 PM
At 6/27/2013 10:11:52 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

*brofist*

- Link to the Past
- Ocarina of Time
- Twilight Princess

Majora's Mask?

That's why I loved Twilight Princess. I was flabbergasted. A real story? Sympathetic characters? What is this?

Twilight Princess is up there for me too for the same reasons.

Do you know what Zelda game I love? Windwaker. Discuss.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:20:08 PM
At 6/27/2013 10:16:13 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 6/27/2013 10:11:52 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

*brofist*

- Link to the Past
- Ocarina of Time
- Twilight Princess

Majora's Mask?

Twilight Princess is up there for me too for the same reasons.

So did I. One of my favorites, in fact, so much that I almost consider it to be distinct from the series. The whole high-seas exploration vibe was excellently captured. I just have very, very fond memories of that game. And Zelda actually does something for once.
- Hilaire Belloc -
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:39:08 PM
At 6/27/2013 10:20:08 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

So did I. One of my favorites, in fact, so much that I almost consider it to be distinct from the series. The whole high-seas exploration vibe was excellently captured. I just have very, very fond memories of that game. And Zelda actually does something for once.

For the life of me, I could not see why it got such a bad rap. It was a damn fine game.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 11:06:10 PM
At 6/27/2013 10:39:08 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 6/27/2013 10:20:08 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

For the life of me, I could not see why it got such a bad rap. It was a damn fine game.

The cell-shaded graphics were a big part, I think. It bothered a lot of people for some reason, but I found it very interesting. Plus the fact that it deviated from the Zelda format so sharply probably upset some traditionalist fans.
- Hilaire Belloc -
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 11:27:12 PM
Kotor I and II
The Walking Dead
L.A. Noire
Indigo Prophecy
Red Dead Redemption
Portal I and II
Spec Ops
Mount and Blade
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 1:09:19 AM
At 6/27/2013 10:12:27 PM, Contra wrote:
Command and Conquer: Generals Zero Hour

I play that game multiplayer with my brothers. I love beating them almost every time. It's a strategy game, the whole series of C&C games is. Otherwise though, I don't play video games. At least I haven't in a few years.

I'm a huge fan of the C&C series. I loved playing as GLA in Zero Hour and swarming the enemy with hordes of angry mobs. Makes me really want to reinstall it once again haha.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 1:18:00 AM
My favorite video game?

Polybius.

Bahahah! I kid... I kid...

(I've never played it, lol... but I completely would if I could.)
Tsar of DDO
mathdebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:52:20 AM
COD4
Skyrim
GTA IV
The Last of Us
Pokemon Emerald
Pretty much any Pokemon game up to Diamond/Pearl
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Sunshine

I'm probably missing out on many titles, but I haven't played video games much in the last year. Many of them came to disappoint me, such as the COD series. The COD4 multiplayer was amazing, simple, and fun. MW2's overpoweredness and nukes were pretty fun too. Anything after that was crap. Same thing for the modern Pokemon games. They absolutely suck and are devoid of any feel. What would you expect, though. The first 150 Pokemon were actually well thought out.

Skyrim still ranks high on my list, but the story of The Last of Us is beautifully dark and emotional. It's up to par with the stories of To Kill a Mockingbird and And Then There Were None in they way they provoke literary discussion.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 8:21:03 AM
Well, of the games I've played:

The Walking Dead - It has been a wonderful experience, and if the ending hadn't been spoiled to me, I probably would of cried. Pewdiepie cried at the end, lol...

Skyrim - When I downloaded the game, I was playing it for weeks non-stop. Super immersive, awesome fantasy, expansive world and playing with the console was loads of fun.

And then one I didn't play:

The Last of Us. Sadly, I don't have a PS3 (fried the last one's laser), but if I did, I know I'd be all over this game. Even while watching someone else playing, it is an amazing experience. Gameplay is awesome, Joel is badass and Ellie is badass and hawt. Inspired me to write some zambie fiction in the future.

Other than that, I could mention a bunch of games I've spent a lot of time playing, such as Team Fortress 2 and WOW, but these don't really deserve to be my favs.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2013 6:45:09 PM
my favorite games are:

Starcraft 2 (Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm
Halo Wars
Halo Reach
Minecraft
Garry's mod
Borderlands 2
I haven't really played many games so not much to work with
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.