Jump to topic:

Avatar: The Last Airbender shipping

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 9:53:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Shipping in ATLA is a very, very, very popular. For those who don't know, the word shipping is derived from 'relationship', and it is when fans push/support couples(Also known as 'ships'). These ships almost always have monikers that combine the names of the couple. These are my thoughts on some of the ships that have been shipped around, and feel free to add your thoughts.

Kataang
(Katara+Aang)

This is one of the two main ships that was pushed throughout the show. The people shipping this ship argued that this ship was the one that made since within the canon of the series, and that they were in the group together so long that they were able to actually develop romantic feelings for each other. I originally hated this ship, mainly because of the age/maturity difference. Katara is 14 in the series, 2 years older than Aang, who is 12. 14 year old girls NEVER date 12 year old boys. The series has also shown a lot of the time that Katara is WAY more mature than Aang is. However, this ship grew on me a little bit after the series finale, and am now OK with it. Also, this is the only ship from the original series that has been confirmed to have float(stayed together forever), via the Legend of Korra.

Zutara
(Zuko+Katara)

The other main ship pushed around during the series. This ship argued that the age difference(Zuko being 16, Katara being 14) was a pretty natural one for relationships, that Katara and Zuko knew what each other was going through with the past history, and that Fire and Water actually made a degree of sense for a couple. I was on this ship. Zuko and Katara together would have been VERY interesting and fun to observe, besides the fact that they can balance each other out. People who pushed this ship knew it probably was not going to happen, because, after all, the canon didn't support this ship, but the Kataang ship. This ship was stabbed at the end of the series finale, and died by the time the events of Korra happened. I decided to jump onto a consolation ship.

Zuki(or Suko)
(Zuko+Suki)

This is a relatively new ship compared to all of the other ones. This ship came into its own during 'The Promise: Part 2' comic. The Kyoshi warriors become the bodyguards of Zuko after multiple people try to assassinate him. It is shown that Suki is pretty invested in the protection of Zuko, and some of the dialogue suggests that Suki may be interested in Zuko as more than a friend. I support this ship, as Zuko deserves a good woman after the crap he's been through, and here comes one on a silver platter. Both are warriors, in a sense(Suko being a Kyoshi Warrior, and Zuko being an excellent swordsman with his Dao swords.). The main threat to this ship is the Sukka ship, since Suki and Sokka were a couple during the series, so it would take them breaking up for this ship to happen.

Maiko
(Mai+Zuko)

This ship is a ship that was introduced during Book 2 of the series. Zuko and Mai were childhood crushes, but never came into fruition because of Zuko being banished. When Zuko comes back to the Fire Nation, however, they get into a relationship. I personally hated and still hate this ship. Mai is a very dull character, who is very boring. She is never developed as a character, so I can't advocate this ship, because Zuko will easily get frustrated at a boring woman. This ship is a very unstable ship, since Mai and Zuko have broken up multiple times. They are currently broken up, and am glad for that.

Tokka
(Toph+Sokka)

This ship was one mainly based off of Toph's attraction to Sokka. It is evidenced a few times in the series that Toph likes Sokka as more than a friend. I personally think that it could never happen in the main series, since the age difference between Sokka and Toph is pretty big. However, them being in a relationship as adults is a totally feasible thing, in my mind, to happen. This ship has been put in jeopardy, as it is shown that Toph and Sokka couldn't have Lin Bei Fong, since Lin dated Tenzin. If Lin was Toph and Sokka's child, then Tenzin and Lin would be cousins, making that inbreeding. This couple could still happen, as long as Lin is shown to not be Sokka's kid, whether it being through Lin being adopted or another method.

I know I didn't cover nearly as many ships as there are in the series, since there are so many ships. So feel free to leave your opinion on these ships and other ships here, since I'd like to know your guys' thoughts.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 9:09:12 PM
At 8/11/2013 8:42:50 PM, tvellalott wrote:
wat

Yeah... This would make a lot more sense of you watched the series.

Even then, shipping is a bit far fetched even for a good amount of fans of the series.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 9:14:48 PM
At 8/11/2013 9:09:12 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
wat

Even then, shipping is a bit far fetched even for a good amount of fans of the series.

No, I've watched the series (both Aang and Korra) but this is silly. :P
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 9:17:28 PM
At 8/11/2013 9:14:48 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 8/11/2013 9:09:12 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
wat

No, I've watched the series (both Aang and Korra) but this is silly. :P

Have you never heard of shipping?
#FeeltheFreezerBern
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 9:18:30 PM
I love avatar as much as the next guy, but what is this?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 9:20:15 PM
At 8/11/2013 9:18:30 PM, 000ike wrote:

Now I just feel silly.

I mean, SOMEONE has to know what I am talking about.... Right?

I mean, I was pretty sure shipping, at least at some point, was pretty popular...
#FeeltheFreezerBern
ObiWan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 6:29:42 AM
At 8/11/2013 9:20:15 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

Now I just feel silly.

I mean, I was pretty sure shipping, at least at some point, was pretty popular...

Oh shipping is definitely popular, although I think you might be preaching to the wrong choir on this one.

Personally I wanted 'Zutara' to happen, although I knew it never would
These are not the droids you're looking for.
ObiWan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 6:30:34 AM
At 8/13/2013 6:29:42 AM, ObiWan wrote:
At 8/11/2013 9:20:15 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

Now I just feel silly.

Oh shipping is definitely popular, although I think you might be preaching to the wrong choir on this one.

Personally I wanted 'Zutara' to happen, although I knew it never would

Zuki is an interesting idea, not sure where I stand on that
These are not the droids you're looking for.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 7:49:02 AM
Shipping is usually just 90% of the time a thing that fangirls in their early teens do. I can understand why these people never learned about them.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac