Jump to topic:

Fight Club.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 4:17:02 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm seriously having a hard time seeing why so many people love this movie. Listening to someone spout pseudo-philosophy while punching someone else for two hours isn't entertaining. At least the ending portrayed Tyler as a villain.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 7:50:25 PM
I generally like it more for the interesting dynamic and the man v. self conflict the movie involves, but I agree, it does feel a bit preachy at times.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 9:24:50 PM
At 8/13/2013 4:17:02 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
I'm seriously having a hard time seeing why so many people love this movie. Listening to someone spout pseudo-philosophy while punching someone else for two hours isn't entertaining. At least the ending portrayed Tyler as a villain.

You're not supposed to talk about Fight Club.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Irresistable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 7:36:32 PM
You talked about fight club!

Tyler gonna mash you up big time boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! Bam!
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 2:56:16 PM
My favorite movie of all time. It's got action and suspense, it's hip and funny, it's got one of the best twists of all time, it's philosophically stimulating, scientifically stimulating, it's got an interesting plot, great actors, a cool ending... what doesn't it have? Even the theme music by the Pixies is kickass...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 7:49:42 PM
I rather liked the movie, but yeah it's preachy; but then again, so what?

Tyler Durden isn't a villain, however. He's an archetype, just dressed up for the occasion perhaps. I mean, you might picture all that violence as symbolic, like DN was getting at, no?

For example, the fighting might refer to video-gaming, trying to hammer out the violence in the world and make it something you want; the terrorist aspect, the blowing up of the financial buildings, might refer to just man's typical battles against the system, and all for himself. Man is animal, Tyler Durden thinks, just trying to survive. I mean, what about Jack's colon who gets cancer and kills Jack; is he to suggest anything different? The violence is actually to zoomorphize man, to ask what else is there? And, well, what else is there?

And then man falls in love and it's the greatest thing he could achieve, more shattering than even all those bombs they'd planted in all those financial buildings. No, Tyler Durden is the opposite of a villain.

And then such is life for all males. You actually do commonly see an absolute storm of violence in men before they'll turn towards trying to fall in love. Maybe that's not so evident around where you're from, but here in Ireland where we're all drunk together all the time it's pretty obviously fact. It's just how we are. There just comes a time for one last hurrah of selfishness and we settle down after that I guess, realizing our efforts were for nothing, that nothing will ever work out just how we want it to. You know, there was all the buying sh1t we don't need, working jobs we hate, etc. All of that would've had an appeal in the beginning, but what was it? And then there's the big bang that was the violence in the movie, the maddened realization that all of this is for nothing pretty much. It's a Control vs. Love story, like they all are.