Jump to topic:

The Newsroom

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 11:32:44 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Does anyone watch this show? I think this is a show that Roy might like (I wish I could @RoyLatham this post lol). I personally have mixed feelings on the show in terms of entertainment, but I think it brings an interesting perspective to the way we view cable news. What say ye?
President of DDO
LevelWithMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 1:24:55 PM
It's the spiritual successor of West Wing.

Anyone who liked that show will almost certainly like this one.
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 2:55:53 AM
I think the show has benefitted in the second season from a more focused storyline. I think the two unrequited romances at the center are rather flat. It strikes me as a bit strange to tell the story of a newsroom finding a new commitment to journalism, when there is clearly no news organization that is doing the job they were 5 or 10 years ago. I believe that journalistic idealists are out there, but they are clearly being sidelined. Why not tell that story, the way "Broadcast News" did 25 years ago? That movie felt more authentic: talking heads playing politics and relying on their producers to make them look smart, endless budget cuts and moral compromise. Newsroom makes everybody too smart, too on top of every issue with little compromise. The sidebars and supporting characters are all top notch. Patel is great. Waterston is great. Fonda dominates every little scene she's in. Olivia Munn brings real star power to a fairly uninteresting role. The Girl Friday back and forth is a Sorkin Trademark and always delightful. I thought the sympathetic critique of the Occupy Movement was spot on. The gentle condemnation of the student who wanted to come out on live tv was smart and nuanced. A little less happy talk about America and a little more real examination of the rot in modern broadcast tv would make for a more relevant and dynamic show.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 7:09:43 AM
At 8/25/2013 11:32:44 AM, Danielle wrote:
Does anyone watch this show? I think this is a show that Roy might like (I wish I could @RoyLatham this post lol). I personally have mixed feelings on the show in terms of entertainment, but I think it brings an interesting perspective to the way we view cable news. What say ye?

I liked it until I started reading the reviews/recaps at televisionwithoutpity, and the valid points they brought up have somewhat soured my appreciation of the show.