Jump to topic:

The Video Music Awards

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 6:25:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Lady Gaga was surprisingly classy when compared to Robin Thicke, Miley Cirus and Taylor Swift. Robin Thicke was unapologetically licentious -but did we expect anything less? Miley Cirus was disgusting, but that seems to be her new norm. Taylor Swift acted like a comprehensive b!tch -but is anyone surprised?

What did you all think about the VMA's?
Tsar of DDO
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 6:39:06 PM
I read an interesting feminist perspective on Miley Cyrus' performance (to quote Jay Z's "Somewhereinamerica," "Twerk, twerk (Miley Miley)"), the reactions to her twerking is indicative of the prevalence of a culture of slut shaming, and, to a lesser degree, racism.

I personally have no issue with it. I think that sexuality not only should be open, but needs to be if we are to be at all responsible about it. Yes, some might see Miley Cyrus twerking as vulgar, but I could care less.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 7:30:28 PM
At 8/26/2013 6:39:06 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I read an interesting feminist perspective on Miley Cyrus' performance (to quote Jay Z's "Somewhereinamerica," "Twerk, twerk (Miley Miley)"), the reactions to her twerking is indicative of the prevalence of a culture of slut shaming, and, to a lesser degree, racism.

I personally have no issue with it. I think that sexuality not only should be open, but needs to be if we are to be at all responsible about it. Yes, some might see Miley Cyrus twerking as vulgar, but I could care less.

Slut shaming and racism. That's a brave series of proposals.

Twerking wasn't the issue. It was the way she acted on stage. It was offensive to be offensive and to get attention, much in the same way that Robin Thicke's video was offensive to be offensive and to get attention. Both were juvenile and in bad taste -but it says something when being juvenile and in bad taste are heralded as in defense of some broader principle, or lauded as if they have some actual sociocultural value as much as it says something about a society that defend crudeness for crudeness's sake as an exercise of individuality, as a statement about women's rights or cultural diversity. I'm a liberal guy, but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed -and she damn well crossed it. At the end of the day, though, it's just something to wag the finger at.

I'm man enough to admit that if I was attracted to her, I might feel differently, though.
Tsar of DDO
ToriDivine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 4:11:15 PM
At 8/26/2013 6:25:07 PM, YYW wrote:
Taylor Swift acted like a comprehensive b!tch -but is anyone surprised?

Excuse you? Taylor Swift is one of the most amazing role models that people can have today, especially compared to other young artists. Taylor is a very classy girl with her priorities set and in order. Sorry that she doesn't dance half naked all of the time? I mean what do you want me to say? You are literally out of your mind to think she's bad.
Walk like a champion, talk like a champion.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 9:20:22 PM
At 8/27/2013 4:11:15 PM, ToriDivine wrote:

Excuse you? Taylor Swift is one of the most amazing role models that people can have today,

Oh, please tell me why?

especially compared to other young artists.

I see your standard for a role model is exceedingly high.

Taylor is a very classy girl with her priorities set and in order. Sorry that she doesn't dance half naked all of the time?

I think she could be a classy girl. Badmouthing ex-boyfriends in front of the world isn't classy.

I mean what do you want me to say?

I really don't want you to say anything, but feel free if you so desire.

You are literally out of your mind to think she's bad.

Call me crazy! lol
Tsar of DDO
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 9:32:38 PM

Excuse you? Taylor Swift is one of the most amazing role models that people can have today, especially compared to other young artists. Taylor is a very classy girl with her priorities set and in order. Sorry that she doesn't dance half naked all of the time? I mean what do you want me to say? You are literally out of your mind to think she's bad.

I'm not sure if Swift is actually that naively stupid when it comes to relationships or if it's all just an act. Probably an act.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 9:44:17 PM
*this isn't at you YYW, just the peanut gallery on fb, youtube, etc.

One can only tolerate so many stupid stupid teenage boys railing on about justin beiber and stupid teenage girls railing on about miley cyrus. It's as if people gain a sense of worth out of judging others (particularly public figures) - there's a certain sense of ascendancy in passing judgment. So, my 2 cents is that people need to shut up and calm down.

I'm as disgusted by Cyrus's performance as the average viewer, but maybe she's acting this way because the constraints of innocence in her previous public image prevented her from maturing normally. She needs to see a psychiatrist and get her career in order.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 9:51:23 PM
At 8/27/2013 9:44:17 PM, 000ike wrote:
*this isn't at you YYW, just the peanut gallery on fb, youtube, etc.

Well, that's good to know lol

One can only tolerate so many stupid stupid teenage boys railing on about justin beiber

Btw. My opinion of Justin Bieber has since changed. He's very much developed into quite a little prick.

and stupid teenage girls railing on about miley cyrus.

She really is a tragedy of a person.

It's as if people gain a sense of worth out of judging others (particularly public figures) - there's a certain sense of ascendancy in passing judgment. So, my 2 cents is that people need to shut up and calm down.

I'm just disappointed, namely in her. She's crying out for attention, and she's literally just trying to be obscene for the sake of being obscene. It's really quite sad.

I'm as disgusted by Cyrus's performance as the average viewer, but maybe she's acting this way because the constraints of innocence in her previous public image prevented her from maturing normally. She needs to see a psychiatrist and get her career in order.

I think some counseling is in order, for sure.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 9:52:10 PM
At 8/27/2013 9:32:38 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

I'm not sure if Swift is actually that naively stupid when it comes to relationships or if it's all just an act. Probably an act.

I don't think it's an act. It's too sincere to be an act, in both her actions and her music.
Tsar of DDO
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 3:50:39 PM

no even celebrities that play "that card" can be real bad people. plus i think its talk like that that made her a little too prideful. yes she is a very good role model, but even role model's have flaws. if you are too blind to see that you should tone your "fanness" down a bit.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.