Total Posts:40|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is a Full Dive Game Experience Possible?

Etudiant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 4:58:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The truth is I am not really a fan of video games. However, I just heard about this anime called Sword Art Online. I thought that the concept of this show is actually a great business idea. For those of you who haven't seen the show, it is basically a full dive video game experience. A player has to wear a helmet, which allows to transport your conscience into the world of virtual reality. Your body is the only controller that you have in this fictional world of mystery and infinite possibilities. After hearing about this idea, I began wondering why something like that has not been created yet. Do you know why? Technology has improved significantly over the last few years. Video games graphics now have a higher resolution than they used to. How long do you think it will take before we will have a full dive video game experience? Are any companies working on something like that right now?
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 3:46:54 PM
At 8/28/2013 4:58:36 AM, Etudiant wrote:
The truth is I am not really a fan of video games. However, I just heard about this anime called Sword Art Online. I thought that the concept of this show is actually a great business idea. For those of you who haven't seen the show, it is basically a full dive video game experience. A player has to wear a helmet, which allows to transport your conscience into the world of virtual reality. Your body is the only controller that you have in this fictional world of mystery and infinite possibilities. After hearing about this idea, I began wondering why something like that has not been created yet. Do you know why? Technology has improved significantly over the last few years. Video games graphics now have a higher resolution than they used to. How long do you think it will take before we will have a full dive video game experience? Are any companies working on something like that right now?

now you see your conscious (not conscience) isn't really transported in it but more like if you hooked your brain up to the web. now the only way i can see this working is with cyber implants other than that no probably not going to happen very soon
"Its not the armor that makes the hero, its the person in the armor that makes the hero"
-Iron Man
Etudiant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 4:27:13 PM
At 8/28/2013 3:46:54 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

now you see your conscious (not conscience) isn't really transported in it but more like if you hooked your brain up to the web. now the only way i can see this working is with cyber implants other than that no probably not going to happen very

How dangerous would it be to hook up your brain to the internet? I am wondering if online viruses could have any impact on our nervous system. Are you saying that nobody is working on something like this at the moment?
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 4:28:33 PM
At 8/28/2013 4:27:13 PM, Etudiant wrote:

now you see your conscious (not conscience) isn't really transported in it but more like if you hooked your brain up to the web. now the only way i can see this working is with cyber implants other than that no probably not going to happen very

How dangerous would it be to hook up your brain to the internet? I am wondering if online viruses could have any impact on our nervous system. Are you saying that nobody is working on something like this at the moment?

dude we are years away from cyber implants we will have mass produced nano tech before cyber implants and we are a ways away from that too
"Its not the armor that makes the hero, its the person in the armor that makes the hero"
-Iron Man
Etudiant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 4:32:00 PM
At 8/28/2013 4:28:33 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

dude we are years away from cyber implants we will have mass produced nano tech before cyber implants and we are a ways away from that too

Yeah, that's unfortunate. A Full Dive experience will only be possible, when the game industry is at the zenith of development. I think that is an ultimate goal of every game industry, cuz games can't get any more real than this.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 4:36:03 PM
At 8/28/2013 4:32:00 PM, Etudiant wrote:

Yeah, that's unfortunate. A Full Dive experience will only be possible, when the game industry is at the zenith of development. I think that is an ultimate goal of every game industry, cuz games can't get any more real than this.

the one thing that i realized though is that SAO ripped off another show: yu gi oh
-Iron Man
Etudiant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 9:01:08 PM
At 8/28/2013 4:36:03 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

the one thing that i realized though is that SAO ripped off another show: yu gi oh

I haven't seen Yu Gi Oh, but the idea of full dive is not new. I have seen in before in Spy Kids 3 and one of the American Dad episodes. There is also Accel World, which I heard is almost identical to SAO. But, you gotta admit that SAO creators did a pretty good job, although I didn't like the second part of the series that much.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 5:48:11 AM
At 8/28/2013 9:01:08 PM, Etudiant wrote:
At 8/28/2013 4:36:03 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

I haven't seen Yu Gi Oh, but the idea of full dive is not new. I have seen in before in Spy Kids 3 and one of the American Dad episodes. There is also Accel World, which I heard is almost identical to SAO. But, you gotta admit that SAO creators did a pretty good job, although I didn't like the second part of the series that much.

dude accel and SAO are made by the same guy
-Iron Man
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 11:52:06 AM

Isnt that the premise of like all the .Hack games?
Etudiant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 3:23:15 PM
At 8/30/2013 11:52:06 AM, tkubok wrote:

Can you expand on that?
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 3:30:37 PM
At 8/30/2013 3:23:15 PM, Etudiant wrote:
At 8/30/2013 11:52:06 AM, tkubok wrote:

Can you expand on that?

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Basically its a series based on a world where people play a video game called "The world" through a virtual reality headset.
Desurasu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2013 8:53:45 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Occulous rift is headed in the right direction. But what most people are looking for in a "Full dive immersion gaming" would be like SAO (Sword Art Online)
The complications of this type of tech are vast though.
1: This type of immersion could possibly be used to control the human brain.
Because the whole concept of it is basically having your thought monitored by a system and the system translated those electrical impulses and making what you want to move in real life move in the game. If this were to be exploited (by an outside source) the system could potentially be taken advantage. I'm basing this of the premise that if the system used in (insert full dive immersion game here) can access some of the bodies electrical impulses and digitize them into the binary code, what's to say that they cant take other electrical impulses of the brain and digitize them as well? AS well as the fact that if its that easy to Receive all the impulses of the brain, what's to say said hacker of the system couldn't change the impulses as they are coming back?

But there is a bright side

2: It would revolutionize the world as we now see it. Take whatever country it is you live in, and look at the Social, financial and Political aspects of it. In America (where I live) it seems like everyday is in constant turmoil. I go to work come home, do homework and then go to bed. I don't get to travel. But think of a world that is created for just that, where you can go and see and do anything you want. People wouldn't have to spend tons of money going to far off places. They could do it from the comfort of there own homes.
2a: It would be extremely useful in nursing homes and retirement homes.
Most of the elderly in the world spend their days sitting around, doing nothing because their bodies are no longer physically able to handle it. But in a world with full dive tech, they wouldn't have to use their bodies to do things they want to do. Especially if a server was created exclusively for them. Most of the elderly Now wouldn't appreciate this but my generation and the generation of most parents grew up with tech and grew up with gaming.
2b: Physically disabled individuals would get the chance to walk and run and jump, or even move again! The morale of the whole world would skyrocket. Because a full dive system could give them back things they lost. This brings me to my final point.
3: Do we want a world where all people do is game?
I don't think that will be a problem. I honestly think the human race, as a whole, will not jump right in to this. Because they don't have time, they have kids, they have work. or because a virtual world is not what they want out of life.
But it would keep kids at home, off the streets, not doing drugs and not going to jail (because then their lives are ruined anyways)
If done right, a full dive system could help to keep the youth of the world safer. if done correctly.
As well as being fun, it would provide a brief escape from the hustle and bustle of life to be whatever you want to be, and do whatever you want to do without having to spend money. Because the misery I see in the people eyes as I walk down the street honestly makes me sad. I do hate that people get beaten by the real world and have lost the ability to see the silver lining of the real world. But perhaps all that's needed is a healthy dose of perspective. I think a virtual reality world could help them see just that, help them appreciate what they have.

Back to the real question...
Is it possible?

Absolutely. Take an EEG, used to measure electrical impulses of the brain. If you would use a tech like that to send signals back as well as receive them, while at the same time diverting them into the PC (Player Character) rather than into a persons real body, then there is the full dive system right there. The only problem would be how to calibrate it all, but with the advanced tech we have, I have no doubt that it could be done.
If I had the money I would do it myself, but alas I do not.

Thank you for this post and thank you for reading.
P.S. If anyone here is currently working on anything related to this in any way shape or form please email me. I would love to be a part of it.
Spencer Sansom
Friendly Neighborhood Swordsman
Tell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2013 7:40:02 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 11/28/2013 8:53:45 PM, Desurasu wrote:
Occulous rift is headed in the right direction. But what most people are looking for in a "Full dive immersion gaming" would be like SAO (Sword Art Online)
Because the whole concept of it is basically having your thought monitored by a system and the system translated those electrical impulses and making what you want to move in real life move in the game. If this were to be exploited (by an outside source) the system could potentially be taken advantage. I'm basing this of the premise that if the system used in (insert full dive immersion game here) can access some of the bodies electrical impulses and digitize them into the binary code, what's to say that they cant take other electrical impulses of the brain and digitize them as well? AS well as the fact that if its that easy to Receive all the impulses of the brain, what's to say said hacker of the system couldn't change the impulses as they are coming back?

2: It would revolutionize the world as we now see it. Take whatever country it is you live in, and look at the Social, financial and Political aspects of it. In America (where I live) it seems like everyday is in constant turmoil. I go to work come home, do homework and then go to bed. I don't get to travel. But think of a world that is created for just that, where you can go and see and do anything you want. People wouldn't have to spend tons of money going to far off places. They could do it from the comfort of there own homes.
Most of the elderly in the world spend their days sitting around, doing nothing because their bodies are no longer physically able to handle it. But in a world with full dive tech, they wouldn't have to use their bodies to do things they want to do. Especially if a server was created exclusively for them. Most of the elderly Now wouldn't appreciate this but my generation and the generation of most parents grew up with tech and grew up with gaming.
2b: Physically disabled individuals would get the chance to walk and run and jump, or even move again! The morale of the whole world would skyrocket. Because a full dive system could give them back things they lost. This brings me to my final point.
I don't think that will be a problem. I honestly think the human race, as a whole, will not jump right in to this. Because they don't have time, they have kids, they have work. or because a virtual world is not what they want out of life.
But it would keep kids at home, off the streets, not doing drugs and not going to jail (because then their lives are ruined anyways)
If done right, a full dive system could help to keep the youth of the world safer. if done correctly.
As well as being fun, it would provide a brief escape from the hustle and bustle of life to be whatever you want to be, and do whatever you want to do without having to spend money. Because the misery I see in the people eyes as I walk down the street honestly makes me sad. I do hate that people get beaten by the real world and have lost the ability to see the silver lining of the real world. But perhaps all that's needed is a healthy dose of perspective. I think a virtual reality world could help them see just that, help them appreciate what they have.

Is it possible?

Absolutely. Take an EEG, used to measure electrical impulses of the brain. If you would use a tech like that to send signals back as well as receive them, while at the same time diverting them into the PC (Player Character) rather than into a persons real body, then there is the full dive system right there. The only problem would be how to calibrate it all, but with the advanced tech we have, I have no doubt that it could be done.

P.S. If anyone here is currently working on anything related to this in any way shape or form please email me. I would love to be a part of it.

Hey, I have done some research on this, to be honest I don't think it's really all about the brain here.. I actually think it would been better to do it through the nerves. Also u make a device which will connect to the nerves, but at the same time it will "Jam" the nerves to send signals the body.
Possible negative side with this and which is not known, is the outfall of it. Like can this disable your body? cause it may get shocked over the nerves to be connected back again.
Another thing about it is everything from breathing etc.. how will that work out?
Anyways I hope someone out there smarter than me will develope something like this "FullDive" technology while I am still alive. :)
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2013 7:48:14 PM
At 12/18/2013 7:40:02 PM, Tell wrote:

Is it possible?

Hey, I have done some research on this, to be honest I don't think it's really all about the brain here.. I actually think it would been better to do it through the nerves. Also u make a device which will connect to the nerves, but at the same time it will "Jam" the nerves to send signals the body.
Possible negative side with this and which is not known, is the outfall of it. Like can this disable your body? cause it may get shocked over the nerves to be connected back again.
Another thing about it is everything from breathing etc.. how will that work out?
Anyways I hope someone out there smarter than me will develope something like this "FullDive" technology while I am still alive. :)

it would still have to connect with the brain because the brain makes every function of the body happen
-Iron Man
Tell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2013 10:02:03 PM
At 12/18/2013 7:48:14 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Is it possible?

it would still have to connect with the brain because the brain makes every function of the body happen

Thought about that the nerves receive and send signals?
So the nerves will work as an type of adapter for the brain and the game.
So again, don't think we need to plant anything in the brain, just make sure that the nerves that goes to the eyes will be changed with the "game vision" then you're already in the game. Made it sound easy and simple now.. but know it's not, I guess.
Sonny08
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 10:54:39 AM
Posted: 8 months ago

Sorry to have this revived, but actually we do possess the tech capable of full dive as we speak at this moment, though the extent of replicating SAO is questionable. As of the time that you posted, researchers managed to transmit brain to brain messages, which means we are able to send messages to the brain http://www.washington.edu.... Simply put, you just need an input and the brain can receive it, now the next part is fooling all the senses instead of informing them, and creating a 100% fake environment which doesn't exist.

Following that we still have other technologies that can read brain signals and convert them with 90% accuracy to sound. The only thing is that the main focus of all these technologies are for helping disabled people first, so it won't be in the gaming industry any time soon. Not if someone decides to take this investment opportunity, if not the focus of all these research right now is to benefit the disabled, not to entertain gaming desires.
ngage74
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 8:49:36 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 12/18/2013 10:02:03 PM, Tell wrote:

Is it possible?

So again, don't think we need to plant anything in the brain, just make sure that the nerves that goes to the eyes will be changed with the "game vision" then you're already in the game. Made it sound easy and simple now.. but know it's not, I guess.

I think I know what your getting at, but i think you are saying it wrong. Rather than the nerves themselves, it would need to be talking to the nerve receptors in the brain, that tell your body what to do and what to feel. It would need to the the brain as a whole though, you still need to be able to think and speak inside of the game. I agree you don't need to "implant" anything in the brain, though I do believe this would require nano technology or possibly a very high tech helmet(some form of tech we haven't made yet).
Megamunchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 3:17:13 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Hey, just thought i'd join in real quick. Two things. First, if it were some sort of brain implant or helmet device, and referring to how u would breathe and other important bodily functions, it believe that the machine would have pre-created sets that would match according nerve actions with essential bodily functions and it would Send them into the game, along with all of the other functions. (sight, smell, etc) Now, instead of stopping all of the nerves after sending them into the game, it would only stop non-essential nerves (movement, sight, etc) while also letting the Essential bodily functions continue on to the rest of the body. I know this technology will not be available for about 15 years or so, but the concept would work. Another thing, the machine that is attached to their nerves or whatever will send out "ghost probes" or probes that trick the brain, so that instead of having to use brain implants, it would just be ghost probes (such technology is not fully developed but does exist(aka nanobots)) http://en.wikipedia.org...

That is my theory ^
AustinKersey
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 10:10:40 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
I dont know the complocated stuff but theoretically couldnt you interface occulus rift and the epoc emotiv together and make a sort if full dive system since the OR makes you see a virtual reality and the epov emotiv makes you control it you would still need a nerual interface but it would cut down years of work if the 2 sould combine
SirAiedail
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 12:39:01 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
In my opinion, a full dive would consist of two parts, that have to be done by a NerveGear (SAO's device for a full dive) like device:

1. Catch brain's output
To create a full dive experience (especially for other players looking at you) it is necessary to make your avatar look as real as possible. This does not only include extremities' movement but everything that's causing your body's appearance to change (I'm talking about face expressions and stuff, which includes a whole bunch of tiny tiny muscles).
But as Megamunchy mentioned you don't necessarily need to catch all the output for that. E.g. the changes the body's essential movements like heartbeat and breathing cause are very uniformly and could be done by the system instead.
Catching every single thought isn't necessary either as the only thing counting are the movements in the end.

So in fact the output only consist of signals that are meant to to move the body. But there is a little downside: the human brain isn't the only thing in the body to control muscles. The part of the neural system sitting in your backbone is the one responsible for your reflexes and I'm sure you don't wan't to miss them, when you're slaying monsters. So you'll have to gather information there as well.

After you got those movement signals you would have to immediately disable them before they can reach the muscles to prevent your real body from actually moving.

2. Create input out of what is happening in the virtual world
(This is just what has to be brought to the player. It may be (pre-)processed by the system instead of the player's local device(s))
I think, this is the tough part about full dive. This input is fairly huge considering, what you have to transmit into the brain:
1. The information your five senses may give you about the virtual world must be measured and combined. And in addition your real body's senses must be disabled/bypassed.
2. Your movements feedback. You may have never thought about that, but when you're doing any sort of movement your body is sending plenty of feedback about that (e.g. how the moved skin is rubbing against your clothes/moved muscles are rubbing against each other or your bones/skin, ...)

Bringing those inputs into the human body is way more difficult than today's research is capable of (Sonny08 mentioned this article from University of Washington where one's thump pressed the spacebar by another's command)

Those two points consist of plenty of data each and they have to be updated within milliseconds (60 times per second is best for eye sight, other human receptors may act even faster)

On the system's side, there's also plenty things to do to create a full dive capable world, but that's not my topic now.
Found a spelling/grammar mistake? Don't hesitate to tell me.
ProbableNeuroengineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 9:28:14 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
I have watched SAO and liked the first part a lot but the ALO part was weird. However, the thing that grabbed my attention the most was that these characters could achieve anything by a single thought. However then I concurred that would it not be very difficult to immerse someones own thoughts, emotions and sensations into a game running on a computer. Can a computer even process those images fast enough for our brain? I thought about how a computer could send images to neurons in your brain because they are the reason we see things as they are. I believe that the only way we can experience this virtual reality is sending things to the brain rather then sending the brain to a computer. Game design would be fairly simple , but keeping it running would take advanced technology which I believe we have already. A lot of medical issues could arise from people with medical problems playing in the VR.
To tell you the truth, I'm fairly young, but I have tons of dedication to making technology such as this. I realize it will take time and dedication and when i'm given the opportunity i will try my hardest.
I would really enjoy feedback even though this topic is a year old but i bet some of you still think about this VR a lot. I would also like to see you point out flaws in this idea so I could think of ways to fix them or you could tell me what you think is great.

The only way to achieve anything is by saying it can and will be done.
KingKreeper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2014 1:55:08 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
It will come. if it doesn't come before I get my computer engineering masters degree, I promise you i'll create it myself. Don't worry, im nothing like Akyhiko Kyaba.
MasterAn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 5:11:23 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 6/15/2014 1:55:08 PM, KingKreeper wrote:
It will come. if it doesn't come before I get my computer engineering masters degree, I promise you i'll create it myself. Don't worry, im nothing like Akyhiko Kyaba.

Just to give so food for thoughts:
I was wondering after watching SAO how is that possible to create something similar to the helmet that we've seen in anime.
Some I made a brief research.

1) Tech that allowes you to move the body parts just with the help of MIND
That is what have been already made - http://emotiv.com...

2) NVG helmet put you in the virtual world so in real world you'r nor able to move. While dreaming our body is been toxicated with gamma-aminobutyric acid http://www.livescience.com... which makes us unable to move

3) All what is needed to create technology likewise in SAO you just need to combine the two thing aforesaid together. Other problem is to connect this device to internet. It may take a bit of time but what to focus on is clear I think.
SirAiedail
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 5:47:02 AM
I've learned about gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in school as a example for reaction inhibitors. If I remember correctly it should be possible to trigger it's production even though it's bound to an Second Messenger called cAMP.

The EEG device seems to be quite similar to the SAO's helmet though it's capacity is far less by now.

One part is still missing:
Even though the muscles are paralyzed, the receptors in our skin still recognize touching the ground the player is laying on. And further the player won't feel it's movements or anything he's touching, smelling, tasting, etc. in the in-game world.
So we'd need a technology to insert faked information for human senses into the players brain.
In terms of visual and auditory information this is quite simple (Oculus Rift and earphones), but smelling, tasting and touching things will be less easy to achieve.
Found a spelling/grammar mistake? Don't hesitate to tell me.
MasterAn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 7:28:22 AM
Yea, in regard of human senses that will be a hard work to imitate smell, taste, touch. But I'm definitely sure that if EEG would go futher with there device they were able make it
EternalGamer100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 5:12:26 PM
I have always been fascinated by the possibility of Virtual Reality. I'm 14 years old so i still have a lot of time to think about my future. When I get older I want to make a Virtual Reality Helmet.
Banga
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 9:54:22 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 3/28/2014 8:49:36 AM, ngage74 wrote:

Is it possible?

I think I know what your getting at, but i think you are saying it wrong. Rather than the nerves themselves, it would need to be talking to the nerve receptors in the brain, that tell your body what to do and what to feel. It would need to the the brain as a whole though, you still need to be able to think and speak inside of the game. I agree you don't need to "implant" anything in the brain, though I do believe this would require nano technology or possibly a very high tech helmet(some form of tech we haven't made yet).

I think you should conect to the brain to send and reseve the signals the only problem is to "paralyze" the body so you don't move any more at the same time your moving ingame but your body is still working right (breathing, controll, to digest...)
When someone starts a projekt I also want to be a part of the projekt team ;)
LG Banga
maskedswordman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 1:39:50 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 7/28/2014 9:54:22 AM, Banga wrote:
At 3/28/2014 8:49:36 AM, ngage74 wrote:

Is it possible?

I think you should conect to the brain to send and reseve the signals the only problem is to "paralyze" the body so you don't move any more at the same time your moving ingame but your body is still working right (breathing, controll, to digest...)
When someone starts a projekt I also want to be a part of the projekt team ;)
LG Banga

I believe gamma-aminobutyric acid is what u need to paralyze your mental body but your brain. I do think the main question is how can we experience all other 4 senses other than seeing a whole 3D world ( Oculus Rift ).