Total Posts:64|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2009 8:58:09 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Went on a date and saw it in IMAX 3D last night... Anyone else?

I give it a 8.5/10 (or 4 out of 5 stars :p) .

It was predictable, sure, and just a little bit campy, but some parts made me chuckle and the scenery and imagery was really great. I think the IMAX 3D experience is what really made the movie for me in that way; the plot was semi-trite and the writing was just okay, but the acting was decent and I just really liked the film overall :)
President of DDO
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2009 8:59:03 AM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com...

Your vote's not too much off the average.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2009 10:20:15 AM
Maybe I'll watch it, but from what I have seen the graphics look cheap, and isn't that the whole reason for the film?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2009 7:52:59 PM
At 12/19/2009 10:12:34 AM, Koopin wrote:
Can't wait to see it, how were the graphics?

They were really good, but again I saw it in IMAX 3D so I don't know how it would look "regularly" ... The whole thing looked cool from my pov :)
President of DDO
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2009 7:54:36 PM
I don't care for graphics. As long as they aren't embarrassing.

How was the plot?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2009 7:59:27 PM
At 12/19/2009 7:54:36 PM, wjmelements wrote:
How was the plot?

It's liberal propaganda. Anti-war, anti-corporatism, pro-environment--just thinking about it makes my jollies go wahoozle! Great plot. Awesome movie.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2009 8:29:07 PM
At 12/19/2009 7:54:36 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I don't care for graphics. As long as they aren't embarrassing.

How was the plot?

It was a very obvious futuristic play off of the Pocahontas story. PJ's right - The protagonist and friends are anti-war, pro-science, pro-environment, spiritual, etc. The plot has racial undertones as well (anti-racism) and progressive in the sense that the natives make a few adjustments to their traditional culture. I thought the movie was very colorful and fun to watch, and the action scenes were pretty good... again, I saw it in IMAX 3D so everything seemed a little enhanced.

The characters are very trite; I think that every single character was shallow and had no depth - no originality - no nothing. The writing was okay and the actors did the script justice... It's just that the story line was so predictable that you couldn't really do much with the characters. I would have personally liked to see a bigger moral struggle with the main guy, maybe touching upon some philosophical issues a little deeper (instead of sending such a blatantly liberal message) ... But the movie's 2.5 hours long, so I dunno if that was possible. Still, it's an 8.5 out of 10 so anything worth a 7 is above seeing in my book. I like the movies :)
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2009 8:30:38 PM
At 12/19/2009 8:29:07 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Still, it's an 8.5 out of 10 so anything worth a 7 is above seeing in my book.

Lol - Anything above a 7 is worth seeing *
President of DDO
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2009 11:14:39 PM
I liked the movie, except for the floating mountains. To be honest, that really ruined the entire film for me.

I was enjoying just fine, and then some one mentions something about flying to the "floating mountains." That worried me, but I was still being optimistic... that maybe it was some strange metaphor or something, but lo! The planet that they're on has goddamned mountains that defy the laws of gravity.

None of the characters seem to find this occurence strange in the slightest, nor mention the oddity of a mountain floating above the ground. This is never explained in any way, shape, or form, but merely serves as a useless detail of the story meant to antagonize people like me.

If only they had excluded that insignificant part of the story, the movie would have been at least distantly palpable, with a strong suspension of disbelief. But giant rock-structures that hover in the atmosphere? That's not acceptable.

I give it 0/5 stars.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 1:02:17 AM
I'm planning on seeing it, but only because I like pretty graphics.

When I first read about the story, I felt like I had seen that story somewhere before (video).

And then I remembered, it's just the space version of Disney's Atlantis.
And now that y'all mentioned it, it really does sound like Pocahontas.

I have the vaguest feeling that Pocahontas isn't the original, either.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 3:36:20 PM
Harlan: Apparently there was no oxygen on that planet either, and yet there was fire everywhere. I didn't notice that until Vi pointed it out, nor did I notice the hilarity of the flying mountains. I agree with Volkov that the scenery was a bit too overdone, but that's to be expected when movies are hailed for their graphics rather than straight up cinematography. It was pretty and colorful and would probably be fun to watch tripping lol. Or maybe not, depending on your state of mind :p
President of DDO
crayon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 7:16:26 PM
I think the planning for the movie went something like this-
JC: This new camera is AWESOME! I'm going to make AWESOME movies that look AWESOME and it's going to be totally AWESOME.
voice of reason: What about a plot?
JC: Who cares? It' gonna look AWESOME.
voice of reason: ... *packs bags, leaves along with voice of good plots*

I saw it in regular (3D and Imax make me feel ill D: ). It was a really visually impressive movie with an insanely bland plot where you know exactly what will happen after 10 minutes watching. I thought there was no way I could get through the movie without thinking, "...they're blue and they have weird noses," but everything else turned out to be distracting enough. It's pretty much Ironman meets Pocahontas. I also give it an 8.5/10.
There's two sequels planned, I've heard.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 9:00:26 PM
"My wife and I saw Avatar this weekend in 3D...

And at its core it was very libertarian: it was about a group of people (the Na'vi) defending their property rights on the world Pandora from aggressors (the human invaders), and about one of the humans (a soldier named Jake Sully) deciding to join and help the right side. Sure, the movie has some stilted dialogue in parts, and a few cliched scenes (I liked how the evil military commander referred to their outrageous assaults on the Na'vi as "shock and awe," but his telling the troops that they would "fight terror with terror"--when the Na'vi had not really been shown to have done anything characterizable as terrorism--was a bit of a stretch in its attempt to dig at the current American "war on terror"), but overall it was great and fun, and libertarian. And the passion and vision and craft that has gone into this movie is amazing to behold. Cameron is to be commended for this great work of art." - Stephan Kinsella
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2010 7:51:27 AM
I didn't think much of Avatar - The acting was lifeless, the story one huge cliché bar the avatar science and the characters shallow. Hell, Star Wars had Yavin 4 and Avatar simply called it Pandora.

The CGI, I have to admit, was good. It blended in well with the real scenery. I despise however the re-occurring pro-liberal themes. Although I am a liberal, it was such headache. I also hated the bit at the end when the God summons all the creatures. it's just retarded.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
pollypop1995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2010 5:17:41 PM
I thought the whole thing was just so cool, I didn't think about anything else until afterwards. I am a sucker for romance, so that's probably what made me love it so much. In the beginning of the movie, I was completely confuzzled on how the whole thing was working. I didn't get how they could just go back and forth between avatar and human body until around the end of the movie.
One part that bothers me to no end was when my favorite character of the whole movie was blown up, and no one cared. She was that one woman who helped them escape, and was totally awesome, and her helicopter blew up.
I looooved the fantasy, I thought it was so different. Somebody told me that the language the natives were speaking was a real language, made up by some guy. Isn't that cool? I so want to learn it...
Pollypop
When I feel the need to exersize, I sit, and wait for the mood to pass.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 3:42:57 PM
http://perezhilton.com...

"Avatar's continued earnings are proving the staying power of the 3D James Cameron flick!

And surprise, surprise! The numbers are HUGE.

By the weekend's close, Avatar's earnings are projected to be at $350.5 million in North American and $1.05 billion around the world!!

"Mr. Cameron was king of the world but now has dominion over the universe. And he will own the top two slots on the worldwide all-time box office list!" one overly-excited exec at Fox has reportedly said.

Better hurry up on that sequel, Jimmy!"
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 3:44:38 PM
At 1/2/2010 7:51:27 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I didn't think much of Avatar - The acting was lifeless, the story one huge cliché bar the avatar science and the characters shallow. Hell, Star Wars had Yavin 4 and Avatar simply called it Pandora.

The CGI, I have to admit, was good. It blended in well with the real scenery. I despise however the re-occurring pro-liberal themes. Although I am a liberal, it was such headache. I also hated the bit at the end when the God summons all the creatures. it's just retarded.

Spot-on review.
President of DDO
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2010 11:04:48 AM
It may have had an overused plot-line, but so what. The plot was done fairly decently. The CGI environments were amazing and even if you didn't like the first 4/5ths of the movie the end battle is worth it in my opinion.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2010 4:05:27 PM
At 12/20/2009 1:02:17 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:

And then I remembered, it's just the space version of Disney's Atlantis.
And now that y'all mentioned it, it really does sound like Pocahontas.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com...
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2010 9:15:18 PM
Thought it was a pretty good movie, despite the bad acting and the predictable plot (and I never even saw Pocahontas). Any movie that has hammerhead rhinos killing helicopters and giant robots gets an 8/10 in my book.
"We were having a philosophical discussion and I asserted that the only demonstrable reality is individual consciousness, but he insisted on the existence of a priori moral values that transcended free will. So I hit him." - Walon Vau
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2010 9:40:46 PM
I have seen the 3D version twice now in the theatre with different people. Despite the cliche, over-used plotline I love this movie.