Jump to topic:

Is The Shawshank Redemption overrated?

IHateThinkingOfNames
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 5:14:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I definitely think so. I created the poll "IMDb top 250" to see if others feel the same.

Personally, I would be happy to see any other movie on the top 5 as number 1. Pulp Fiction is my favorite movie because of its nonlinear plot and memorable characters. What movie do you think should be number 1?
Babeslayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 6:28:14 PM
I liked The Shawshank redemption, but it's a bit overrated. Most movies people consider to be their favorites are really only their favorites due to the fact that they're older. If The Shawshank Redemption came out today, sure people would like it, but nobody would claim it to be their favorite.

I have a theory about favorite movies, that there's a 5 year waiting period before a film can be socially acceptable as one of someone's favorite films. For example, If someone told you that, say, Inception was their favorite movie of all time, you'd think "Okay, that's a good movie, but this guy probably hasn't seen that many films". But if they said The Matrix (a film of equal quality, action and originality) was their favorite movie, there would be no confusion. By about 2018, films from 2010 will be perfectly socially acceptable as a favorite movie. And they probably will be.

Even better, do you think people walked out of Shawshank Redemption thinking "That was my favorite movie of all-time!"? Probably not. That's also probably the reason it didn't win Best Picture at the oscars, because it was just a great film, not yet considered a classic.
Babeslayer
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 7:05:03 PM
At 9/18/2013 6:28:14 PM, Babeslayer wrote:
I liked The Shawshank redemption, but it's a bit overrated. Most movies people consider to be their favorites are really only their favorites due to the fact that they're older. If The Shawshank Redemption came out today, sure people would like it, but nobody would claim it to be their favorite.

I have a theory about favorite movies, that there's a 5 year waiting period before a film can be socially acceptable as one of someone's favorite films. For example, If someone told you that, say, Inception was their favorite movie of all time, you'd think "Okay, that's a good movie, but this guy probably hasn't seen that many films". But if they said The Matrix (a film of equal quality, action and originality) was their favorite movie, there would be no confusion. By about 2018, films from 2010 will be perfectly socially acceptable as a favorite movie. And they probably will be.

Even better, do you think people walked out of Shawshank Redemption thinking "That was my favorite movie of all-time!"? Probably not. That's also probably the reason it didn't win Best Picture at the oscars, because it was just a great film, not yet considered a classic.

I agree with this to the extent that I'm not aware a film is one of my favorites, until I keep watching it over and over again and still want to keep watching it over and over again. This naturally takes a fair amount of time.

Shawshank happens to be one of my favorite movies, and I do believe many people likely left the theater saying it was one of the best movies they saw. Taste is obviously subjective and I don't believe there is any time line on it... Though what one can consider a great movie the one time they saw it, may not be something they wish to see over and over, and this is one of the key qualifications for what I consider to be my favorite movies. For example, I really liked this years Man Of Steel, but I don't have any desire to watch it again. Unlike Shawshank which I wanted to see again right away.

"That's also probably the reason it didn't win Best Picture at the oscars, because it was just a great film, not yet considered a classic."

I'm not sure how this makes logical sense. A film has to win best picture every year and none of them are classics yet because they came out that year. 1994, the year Shawshank came out, saw some other great films. Forrest Gump, another of my favorite films, won best picture and was certainly deserving of it. Pulp Fiction, another of my favorite films, also came out that year and was a contender for best pic.

If Shawshank had come out in a year of weaker competition, it could easily have won. 1997, when Titanic won best picture, '99 when Shakespeare in Love won, and '96 when The English Patient won, immediately come to mind.

So Shawshank may be overrated to people who don't like it as much as some others, but to me it's one of my favorite films. I'm not a Stephen King fan in the least, but I give him his props for Shawshank.

As with anything of this nature, it's purely subjective.
Debate.org Moderator