Jump to topic:

Adventure Time

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 6:07:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Yes. Sometimes the episodes are so weird and inventive, it's actually better than the majority of classic cartoonnetwork shows.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 6:08:04 PM
No. I just sit at home and play on my BMO.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 6:27:30 PM
At 9/23/2013 6:08:04 PM, muzebreak wrote:

What?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 6:53:41 PM
At 9/23/2013 6:27:30 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

What?

Seriously?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 6:55:11 PM

What?

....do you watch Adventure time?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 2:27:22 AM
I've watched a handful of episodes and have intended to watch more... It's weird, but often pretty funny.
Debate.org Moderator
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 3:23:11 AM
It's annoying.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
immortalphoenix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 4:04:22 PM
It's very weird. the dog can TALK AND TRANSFORM!! it's just so...I don't know how to describe it.
immortalphoenix is a Beyblade lover, is homeschooled, and loves debating. Her biggest fear is tap-dancing ninjas, such as her brother. She also refers to herself in the third person.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 12:20:16 AM
At 9/23/2013 6:55:11 PM, 000ike wrote:

What?

....do you watch Adventure time?

No, but I've heard good things. Should I?
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 1:21:30 AM
This is a terrible time and place to exist as a sapient being.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 3:46:52 AM
I think Adventure Time is the one of the most creative, trippy, zany, witty, well-written shows on TV today, Its ability to appeal to such widely different demographics is stunning. The writers take the Adventure Time universe very seriously; they have creative vision, similar to George Lucas with Star Wars. The series features emotional depth in the relationships between its characters that I have rarely found in any live action TV show. It's absurdist and trippy with its vibrant colors and the characters are honestly quite finely and realistically developed. In other words, it's great because of its visual awesomeness, snappy dialogue, compelling characters. Oh, it also deals with complex philosophical and moral issues. They have explored religion vs science, dealing with a loved one who has completely lost their mind, developing teenage sexual identities, free will, a lot about the trapping and responsibilities of power, and surprisingly a lot of Eastern influenced philosophical ideas. Yeah, that's right, why in the world isn't everyone watching this show? Similar to early Spongebob in the way it can be appreciated by Adults on a whole other level - but Spongebob hasn't made me cry on like 5 different occasions.

Also, it really, really helps if you're stoned or tripping or something like that when you're watching it. I'm not kidding, in the same way that music is boosted to a transcendental level while stoned, as if it was designed to be experienced that way, Adventure Time is one of my go-to stoned shows. I like to think I have good, cultured taste too, in the sense that I try not to experience movies and music and books as just shallow escapist entertainment but rather as a potential growing, artistic experience. Many people are turned off because it's an Cartoon Network, the fact that it's a cartoon, and the fact that it has a lot of silliness/randomness. If you're looking for a show with a perfect balance of light-hearted humor and psychological character depth, look no further. Did I mention it takes place in the post-apocalyptic Land of Ooo which is ruled by the benevolent dictator Princess Bubblegum whose kingdom is comprised of colorful candy citizens, each with their own backstory and personality, 1000 years after almost all of humanity and a large chunk of the planet were destroyed by a nuclear holocaust? Beneath the casual, playful, colorful surface is a whole lot of loss, loneliness, and tragedy.

Okay maybe I'm just a little obsessed..... Favorite characters - Ice King, Princess Bubblegum, Marceline, Finn, and last but not least L-S-freaking-P. Oh my glob.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 3:52:20 AM
I should mention however that the mature aspects of the show apply more to the 3rd, 4th, and 5th seasons, as Finn, the hero protagonist of the show, ages physically and grows more mature, sexually developed, etc. Yeah, they seriously portray his sexual development, psychologically and even physically with girlfriends and romantic interests. Never seen a show quite like it before.
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 9:49:27 AM
MAGIC MAN.

I will steal your sandwiches!
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 2:36:13 AM
At 9/25/2013 3:46:52 AM, jat93 wrote:
I think Adventure Time is the one of the most creative, trippy, zany, witty, well-written shows on TV today, Its ability to appeal to such widely different demographics is stunning. The writers take the Adventure Time universe very seriously; they have creative vision, similar to George Lucas with Star Wars. The series features emotional depth in the relationships between its characters that I have rarely found in any live action TV show. It's absurdist and trippy with its vibrant colors and the characters are honestly quite finely and realistically developed. In other words, it's great because of its visual awesomeness, snappy dialogue, compelling characters. Oh, it also deals with complex philosophical and moral issues. They have explored religion vs science, dealing with a loved one who has completely lost their mind, developing teenage sexual identities, free will, a lot about the trapping and responsibilities of power, and surprisingly a lot of Eastern influenced philosophical ideas. Yeah, that's right, why in the world isn't everyone watching this show? Similar to early Spongebob in the way it can be appreciated by Adults on a whole other level - but Spongebob hasn't made me cry on like 5 different occasions.

Also, it really, really helps if you're stoned or tripping or something like that when you're watching it. I'm not kidding, in the same way that music is boosted to a transcendental level while stoned, as if it was designed to be experienced that way, Adventure Time is one of my go-to stoned shows. I like to think I have good, cultured taste too, in the sense that I try not to experience movies and music and books as just shallow escapist entertainment but rather as a potential growing, artistic experience. Many people are turned off because it's an Cartoon Network, the fact that it's a cartoon, and the fact that it has a lot of silliness/randomness. If you're looking for a show with a perfect balance of light-hearted humor and psychological character depth, look no further. Did I mention it takes place in the post-apocalyptic Land of Ooo which is ruled by the benevolent dictator Princess Bubblegum whose kingdom is comprised of colorful candy citizens, each with their own backstory and personality, 1000 years after almost all of humanity and a large chunk of the planet were destroyed by a nuclear holocaust? Beneath the casual, playful, colorful surface is a whole lot of loss, loneliness, and tragedy.

Okay maybe I'm just a little obsessed..... Favorite characters - Ice King, Princess Bubblegum, Marceline, Finn, and last but not least L-S-freaking-P. Oh my glob.

You've convinced me. I shall Netflix this show so hard.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 7:19:05 AM
Basically what Jat said. Can't recommend it enough.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 7:19:51 AM
At 9/25/2013 9:49:27 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:
MAGIC MAN.

I will steal your sandwiches!

Also, the possibility of inside jokes galore WSA. Oh my glob just watch it already.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 11:40:20 AM
At 9/23/2013 6:06:04 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Do you watch it?

I've seen an episode or two but shows on CN have been own a downward spiral in the last few years. It all started when CN decided to air real-life reality shows which were decent but the majority of them were garbage. And nowadays, the cartoons they show (Adventure time, Regular show, annoying orange, world of gumball, shows of this nature) really treat kids as if they are retarded and can't follow a decent plot line in my opinion.

Prime example of this, they get rid of great shows like Green Lantern and Young Justice to replace it with Teen Titians Go, which is such an atrocity when compared to the original ( I haven't checked out batman beyond so I won't comment on that).